• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

AndersenTech

AndersenTech

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
So, I'm sure there are other fixes out there for VoodooHDA causing KP's on boot. However, none of them worked for me -_-

I didn't even use VoodooHDA before creating this tool! See, my problem was that I had two sound cards, one integrated and the other on a GeForce GT240. I forgot to save my extensions from 10.6.7 and after upgrading to 10.6.8 I had no sound... I tried to use the same method to patch AppleHDA and using some enablers, and even VoodooHDA alone. None of the enablers worked and VoodooHDA was causing a KP!!!

I downloaded VoodooHDA alone, repaired the permissions on the file alone and tried to load it using
kextload -v 1 VoodooHDA.kext
and it loaded fine on both i386 and x86_64, however if I tried to leave it in the /S/L/E and boot it got a KP.

Getting to the point ---> VoodooLoader

This little app sets the permissions on the kext and loads it from a directory from within the app, leaving Voodoo out of the system caches :D

Installation Guide

1. Remove AppleHDA.kext and ALL enablers!!! (eg. HDAEnabler.kext, ALCxxx.kext, etc.) [These are found in /E/E and/or /S/L/E]

2. Reboot and rebuild your caches

3. Download VoodooLoader Installer here --> DOWNLOAD

4. To auto enable VoodooHDA do the following:

I. Open System Prefrences

II. Click on Accounts

III. Click on the Login Items tab

4. VoodooLoader will be automatically enabled at startup

I. To remove from startup, run the following:
sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/loginwindow AutoLaunchedApplicationDictionary

5. Enjoy sound!!

6. (EXTRA)

If you're having problems with the stock VoodooHDA.kext (or want to install a custom kext) you can run VoodooPatcher (also found at the download site)
--------------------------------------
Updated 12/09 - Updated ML Kexts
Updated 10/24 - Support for Lion (10.7.x)
Updated 1/29 - Updated instructions and VoodooPatcher

AndersenTech

AndersenTech

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
Version 1.12 Released

Fixes --> No need to edit the VoodooHDA Info.plist

Download --> HERE

Nguyen Long

Nguyen Long

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Any problems with sound quality?

AndersenTech

AndersenTech

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Any problems with sound quality?

None :(

mindlessmissy

mindlessmissy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
I love you ...

I knew to fix this problem, delaying the load time of the kext will solve it BUT I had no idea how to go by it until your quick wit came along ...

Thany You !

maleorderbride

maleorderbride

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
The link seems to be down. Can someone re-upload it? Thanks!

edit: NM link is working now. Maybe it was just me.

GioShareITA

GioShareITA

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thx !

Work on Lion 10.7.2

Stop KP on boot ! ;)

( Sound ALC 269 )

hoschy

hoschy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

i get the larsen effect.
Is there a way to disable the auto-start in Windows?

AndersenTech

AndersenTech

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
Hey All! I finally decided to upgrade to Lion, meaning that I have a new next inside of VoodooLauncher. You can grab it from here DOWNLOAD. I will probably put up a link on another server (possibly google) in the near future. Keep posted

Hi,

i get the larsen effect.
Is there a way to disable the auto-start in Windows?

You can try the new kext from the latest version.

vincentb

vincentb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hey All! I finally decided to upgrade to Lion, meaning that I have a new next inside of VoodooLauncher. You can grab it from here DOWNLOAD. I will probably put up a link on another server (possibly google) in the near future. Keep posted

You can try the new kext from the latest version.

I'm afraid it still seems that the link is broken. I look forward to this patch!

AndersenTech

AndersenTech

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

I'm afraid it still seems that the link is broken. I look forward to this patch!

I finally got around to creating a Google Code page with the downloads ;)

Official VoodooLoader Google Code Page

Sanky18

Sanky18

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
is there a way to change the voodoohda.kext itself in the app?? Coz when i change it with 2.7.3 it does not succeed with the loading of the kext. I really need to replace the existing with 2.7.3 as i have made changes to 2.7.3 to work with my sound card. Thanks

Btw really cool app!! :wink2: :thumbsup_anim:

AndersenTech

AndersenTech

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

is there a way to change the voodoohda.kext itself in the app?? Coz when i change it with 2.7.3 it does not succeed with the loading of the kext. I really need to replace the existing with 2.7.3 as i have made changes to 2.7.3 to work with my sound card. Thanks

Yes, it's inside the app. It should be under /Applications/VoodooLoader.app/Contents/Resources/VoodooHDA.kext Just make sure to set the correct permission upon replacing it. they should be

chown -R root:wheel VoodooHDA.kext
chmod go-w VoodooHDA.kext

Come to think of it, maybe I'll just make an add-on that allows users to drag-and-drop their customized version if they choose to do so...

Sanky18

Sanky18

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
thanks a lot dude!!! And yes maybe that'll be more convenient. Will look forward to it!! :) :D

AndersenTech

AndersenTech

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

thanks a lot dude!!! And yes maybe that'll be more convenient. Will look forward to it!! :) :D

Done! Check out the new post titled "VoodooPatcher"

carlosanta

carlosanta

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
hi AndersnTech, i've Acer 7738g and with your tools,,, i've not any KP !!! Thank's !!!

but mic (internal and external) not work... help me please ...if it's possible :P:P

PunkNugget

PunkNugget

InsanelyMac Geek

• Retired
  • 199 posts
Hi AndersenTech,

I wanted to be able to share with you some trouble that I'm having not only installing the VoodooLauncher.app but the VoodooPatcher.app as well. I followed all your instructions, but the thing that I get stuck on was trying to understand what your 1st point was:

1. Remove AppleHDA.kext and ALL enablers!!!

The 1st part of your 1st point I completely understood; getting rid of the AppleHDA.kext file, that was easy. The 2nd part though, getting rid of ALL enablers was a bit hard for me to understand, as I do not know which enablers to remove and where to remove them from. So I did not remove any.

What I had proceeded to do was install the VoodooLauncher.app. I then follow the rest of your instructions by opening up my system preferences, clicking on my accounts, then clicking on the login items tab. Again this is kind of where I got stuck again. Although I did notice that there was some kind of file that was supposed to auto launch when I restarted my OS, I did not know if I was supposed to leave now file in their or remove it. I did not remove it but I also did not know whether I should have put a check mark on it to hide the program or to leave it unchecked to let it do it's thing when I restarted my system.

Well, when I rebooted I noticed that my terminal.app started up on its own each and every time and I couldn't figure out why, until I noticed that it only happened right after I installed VoodooLauncer.app. So what I did was I went back into my system preferences> accounts> login items and checked off the vd_startup (All Users) I went back and forth switching it on and off in between while rebooting it and still the terminal file still kept popping up while it was starting each and every time. I then went back onto this forum link that you provided with all this great information and decided to read through everything to find out if anyone else has gone through the same problem. It looks like someone has and that you actually provided a patch or that issue.

Well I installed this new VoodoPatcher.app that you provided back in the middle of December (a month ago). While when I would've into my applications folder to launch the application and came up with this comment:

Drag the files to process and below that was the details section that I opened up to see what it was doing. It did absolutely nothing. A gift for their and the processing installation bar didn't move at all. So I quit the program and relaunched it again and still nothing. So I am pretty much stuck at this point and do not know what to do. I hope to get some further input in as much detail as you can provide on all the things I mentioned above that I could've missed that need to be done in order for this install to be successful for me as it has been for others as well.

I do very much appreciate your time in reading this and hope that you will provide a solution to my issue. Thank you very much for all that you've done… :-)

AndersenTech

AndersenTech

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Hi AndersenTech,

I wanted to be able to share with you some trouble that I'm having not only installing the VoodooLauncher.app but the VoodooPatcher.app as well. I followed all your instructions, but the thing that I get stuck on was trying to understand what your 1st point was:

1. Remove AppleHDA.kext and ALL enablers!!!

The 1st part of your 1st point I completely understood; getting rid of the AppleHDA.kext file, that was easy. The 2nd part though, getting rid of ALL enablers was a bit hard for me to understand, as I do not know which enablers to remove and where to remove them from. So I did not remove any.

What I had proceeded to do was install the VoodooLauncher.app. I then follow the rest of your instructions by opening up my system preferences, clicking on my accounts, then clicking on the login items tab. Again this is kind of where I got stuck again. Although I did notice that there was some kind of file that was supposed to auto launch when I restarted my OS, I did not know if I was supposed to leave now file in their or remove it. I did not remove it but I also did not know whether I should have put a check mark on it to hide the program or to leave it unchecked to let it do it's thing when I restarted my system.

Well, when I rebooted I noticed that my terminal.app started up on its own each and every time and I couldn't figure out why, until I noticed that it only happened right after I installed VoodooLauncer.app. So what I did was I went back into my system preferences> accounts> login items and checked off the vd_startup (All Users) I went back and forth switching it on and off in between while rebooting it and still the terminal file still kept popping up while it was starting each and every time. I then went back onto this forum link that you provided with all this great information and decided to read through everything to find out if anyone else has gone through the same problem. It looks like someone has and that you actually provided a patch or that issue.

Well I installed this new VoodoPatcher.app that you provided back in the middle of December (a month ago). While when I would've into my applications folder to launch the application and came up with this comment:

Drag the files to process and below that was the details section that I opened up to see what it was doing. It did absolutely nothing. A gift for their and the processing installation bar didn't move at all. So I quit the program and relaunched it again and still nothing. So I am pretty much stuck at this point and do not know what to do. I hope to get some further input in as much detail as you can provide on all the things I mentioned above that I could've missed that need to be done in order for this install to be successful for me as it has been for others as well.

I do very much appreciate your time in reading this and hope that you will provide a solution to my issue. Thank you very much for all that you've done… :-)

I've realized that my instructions weren't exactly very explicit and therefore have updated them. They should answer all of your questions about the installation procedure. As to VoodooPatcher issues when you open the application it will ask you to drag your modified VoodooHDA.kext to the window, from there it will change the permissions and move it to the VoodooLoader's directory, making it load on startup instead of the provided VoodooHDA.kext. You shouldn't see any output from the window until the installation is completed and says "All done"

Hope this answers your question

JaE-V

JaE-V

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts
this works well, i just wish there was a way to get rid of the terminals windows and everything opening up when you launch the os after every reboot

ugokind

ugokind

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Apicoltura
    Mac
    Linux
    Homebrew
    Australia
    Spremermilcervello
I've that problem from long time.. but asus laptop needs the 2.7.3 Mute-Laarsen patcher version

and whit it.. I have random KP at boot.. sometimes it run fine.. sometimes no
and I cannot put another one..

then.. your version is good for me?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy