AirDrop - Wifi compatible cards

RN95

62 posts in this topic

...Wow.

The adaptor card looks awfully like the one I got for £10 too :blink:link

BCM94321 does not support Airdrop. I have one of those in my Mac Mini and it doesn't work. You need to go for the BCM94322. Plenty of sellers in China on eBay.co.uk and a couple in the UK for a few quid more. I went for the Atheros that MiniHack suggested (thanks!) as it was even cheaper. That's my Macbook and MBP sorted out.

Out of interest, MiniHack, was your card a genuine Apple card? I would be very surprised if it were for that price.

Hm thought so. Well I'll probably look into getting either the 4322 or the Atheros at some pont then. Airdrop'll probably come in handy when I get my MBP...

Thanks.

Ralink? What? Its a mini PCI-E to PCI-E x1 adaptor card...

Same adaptor card that was used to create that $130 wifi card you bought by the looks of things =/

Believe it or not, it´s true! I wanted a Wifi card to be supported out of the box and with AirDrop support. It´s a PCIE card raiser with an Apple Airport Extreme Card.

It works awesome, as expected... do you want better that this ?

Want to see the invoice ? :(

Bless you, Taruga. You made one eBay seller very happy. Think of it as a charitable donation. $20 of wifi kit at a $110 markup. Did you have to pay 21% import VAT plus 'customs handling fee' as well?

If you wanted the genuine article at a better price, you should just have searched outside of eBay for one of these and any wifi pcie adapter from eBay.

Hey guys,

I bought the BCM94322 from an eBay seller in Honk Kong for $14 here.

It was advertised as the DW1510 but that doesn't seem to matter really.

It works fine but AirDrop isn't compatible, doesn't show up in the Finder preferences.

This is the info in my System Information for the card:

en2:
 Card Type:	Third-Party Wireless Card
 MAC Address:	
 Supported PHY Modes:	802.11 a/b/g/n
 Supported Channels:	1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 120, 124, 128, 132, 136, 140, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165
 Wake On Wireless:	Supported

Since it recognizes the card as a third party wireless card should I try rebranding the card to get OSX to recognize it as an AirPort Extreme?

I have the Atheros AR5BXB72 (full Size with there antenna connectors)

I get Airdrop after adding pci168c,24 to AirPortAtheros40.kext. This seems also possible for Atheros AR5B95 /pci168c,2b.

post-407466-1312704162_thumb.jpg

I get Airdrop after adding pci168c,24 to AirPortAtheros40.kext. This seems also possible for Atheros AR5B95 /pci168c,2b.

Interesting. I take it this is a third party card? This did not work for me with a genuine card in my MB or MBP. If I added it to Atheros40 and removed it from Atheros21 I just lost Airport.

Hey guys,

I bought the BCM94322 from an eBay seller in Honk Kong for $14 here.

It was advertised as the DW1510 but that doesn't seem to matter really.

It works fine but AirDrop isn't compatible, doesn't show up in the Finder preferences.

This is the info in my System Information for the card:

en2:
 Card Type:	Third-Party Wireless Card
 MAC Address:	
 Supported Channels:	1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 120, 124, 128, 132, 136, 140, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165

Since it recognizes the card as a third party wireless card should I try rebranding the card to get OSX to recognize it as an AirPort Extreme?

Okay, no one seemed to have replied to my post earlier so I went ahead and rebranded my wireless card. It's now successfully recognized as an AirPort Extreme wireless card. However, AirDrop still doesn't show up in my finder preferences.

en2:
 Card Type:	AirPort Extreme  (0x14E4, 0x87)
 Firmware Version:	Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.131.36.1)
 MAC Address:	
 Locale:	FCC
 Country Code:	US

Any help is really appreciated guys...

Hi I just bought a BCM94322MC generic card from ebay and was planning on rebranding it as apple. According to http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/ he threw this card in a mac and it works with airdrop and all. I'm thinking it will still be seen as a third party card.I looked at prasys's guide and wanted to rebrand it as a apple card. He changed both device and vendor id, but his guide is for BCM94312MC card which is not compatible with airdrop.

My question is what device ID would I use for the BCM94322MC? Its gotta be different that the BCM94312MC. Also does anyone know of a way of injecting the device and vendor id in the dsdt so don't have to mess with the card bios. Thanks.

I am really sorry as I should have been more careful before posting. I was away from my computer. Please accept my apologies if I wasted your valuable time.

Subsystem id of Apple for Atheros Card is 0x8F and I used the below DSDT code to change sub-system id of HP Atheros 9280, which was previously 0x1382. Below is the code I am using right now. * is a unicode character and the device id (2a) for this particular card.

Device (ARPT)
			{
				Name (_ADR, Zero)
				Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
				{
					Store (Package (0x06)
						{
							"device-id", 
							Unicode ("*"), 
							"subsystem-id", 
							Buffer (0x04)
							{
								0x8F, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
							}, 
							"subsystem-vendor-id", 
							Buffer (0x04)
							{
								0x6B, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00
							}
						}, Local0)
					DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
					Return (Local0)
				}
			}

Previously

Card Type:	AirPort Extreme  (0x168C, 0x1382)

Now

AirPort Extreme  (0x168C, 0x8F)

Check out the screenshot, as you can see Apple is seen as the vendor.

post-562417-1311886018_thumb.png

Instead of adding device ids to the vanilla next or creating a legacy next I used the above code for the same purpose as in we use Apple's device ids to have native usb support.

Hope it helps,

Thanks fort the code Braddock. I'm thinking I'm using to use DSDT injection as well instead of rebranding the card. Its simpler...less chance of screwing up the card and does the same thing.

My question is that I'm getting a generic Broadcom BCM94322 card. I'm going to use a PCI-mini to PCI-e converter. On my DSDT do I add this at the same location? at

Device (ARPT)
or will it go under a different device section. Thanks for the help!

The two wifi cards I ordered from eBay as linked by MiniHack in post #23 arrived today and both exactly as depicted in the link. Placed one in my MacBook Pro (Santa Rosa 2.4GHz) and rebooted. Airdrop is active.

Two caveats. The AR9280 only has two aerial connectors as opposed to the three used on the existing card. I left the middle cable unattached. If your MBP was already struggling to get a connection, this might be an issue for you. I haven't changed any kexts or changed any settings, but the wifi takes a little while to connect to my default router (about 30 secs after boot up). Otherwise, all as it should be.

I have Atheros 2895 wirelles working flawlessly in OS Lion, but no airdrop.

Have tried to enter the pci168c,2b into the Airportatheros40kext, but no success.This id is entered also in the airportatheros.kext(from the patced version of the IO82111 networkin whick i have been using with SL all the time) , but not in the Airportatheros 21.kext - when I inserted it in the Airportatheros21.kext, its the same - No airdrop.

Pls post Your working IO82111networking kext.

Thanks

Hi I built a DIY wireless card. Bought this BCM94322 card from ebay and rebranded it.

BCM Card:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Broadcom-BCM94322M...c#ht_500wt_1204

PCI-E card:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...#ht_2434wt_1187

Well, I got everything working, but it seems like the range of my wireless card is very limited. It only picks up my wireless network which is literally 4 feet away from the desktop and also one other surrounding network of a neighbor. It doesn't even see the free wireless network that my apt building offers. My macbook air at the same location picks up close to 11 networks and so does every other computer in my house including my cheap $10 tenda wireless stick.

Any reason for such limited wireless range for this setup? I have both antennas connected and installed on the back....The antenna plugs clicked onto the BCM94322 card...I tugged to make sure they were secure and they are.....Is this the result of just an crappy PCI-mini to PCI-E card or something else that I can fix?

Also I don't think this should make a difference but if it does I can change it. Instead of secure the BCM94322 card to the PCI-E card with screws (I didn't have any that fit) I just secured it down with plastic ties....I wouldn't think having screw there would make any difference, but if it does please let me know. thanks.

post-150535-1313595911_thumb.jpg

If you wanted the genuine article at a better price, you should just have searched outside of eBay for one of these and any wifi pcie adapter from eBay.

Hey Splonk,

Could I ask you if this card plugs straight into a PCI slot on my mobo? If not is it a case of getting the adaptor and building it on to that? Or do you know of a card that plugs straight into the PCI or PCI e slots? Sorry if the question is a bit on the silly side, I do already have wifi working with a Buffalo PCI card without the use of any extra drivers but its seen as a third party card and I think the chipset is too old to support Airdrop, my Macbook Pro is from 2010 and I would like to be able to share files between my Hackintosh and the laptop this way. Any help or advice would be gladly appreciated, cheers mate, Plucka ;)

Plucka, that card you linked to is a mini-PCIe card and therefore designed for notebooks. You would need an adapter to put it into a desktop PCIe (not PCI) slot.

Apple does not produce any 802.11n PCI wireless cards, so any third market card will not support Airdrop. I have a DLink PCI card in a Dell, which has an Atheros chip and runs as native with no hacking but no Airdrop. Most PCI cards will probably have a Ralink chip inside.