[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

* * * * * 5 votes

• Please log in to reply
3021 replies to this topic

savour

savour

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello i started trying to install Mac Os X Lion following DoiX's Tutorial (http://www.insanelym...1)

I have an Dell Studio XPS 15 L502X FHD(1920x1080) (i7-2670QM, 16GB Ram, 750GB HD, NVidia GT540 2GB)

I started with iAtkas Mac Os X Lion 10.7.1 (tried 10.7.2 also) and followed the tutorial.
I created Partition and formatted to hfs+ filesystem with Disk Utility
I choose the customizations needed and so on.
The installation was completed without a hitch.

I tried to boot the installation with the flags proposed
-v GraphicsEnabler=No busratio=23 (i checked i7-2670QM at intel's site for busratio), but i had no luck the boot process always stalled.
With the following error:

ACPI_SMC_PlatFormPlugin::Start waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCpuPoweManagment) timed out
Transcript Offline : Buffer pool allocate [18100] failed

I tried many combinations of flags for safe mode, single user mode, maximum memory e.t.c (-x ,-s, -f, PCIRootUID=1, maxmem=4096 e.t.c) no luck
I managed to boot successfully with rboot 1.2 but i get no keyboard found error, the colors are blend and almost half output is rendered outside screen so cant do anything.
I suspect that my issue is related with http://tonymacx86.co...hp?f=15&t=28851, but i cannot try any solution since i cannot but the installation.
I am also concerned for the 16GB of ram i could try with 4GB ram installed if that helps.
I am completely stuck, any hints would be very helpful,

Many Thanks,

Savour

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  • Interests:Photography, design, beer.
@Savour,

16GB Ram holy {censored}! Anyway, you must boot with rBoot the first time.. because you need to set the SMBIOS to 8,1 or above and install my installer package.

ACPI_SMC_PlatFormPlugin::Start waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCpuPoweManagment) timed out <<< Patch the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext...

Transcript Offline : Buffer pool allocate [18100] failed <<<< Normal error.

It's all in the tutorial you just linked.

adv392

adv392

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
I am not having any problems with USB 3 using v6 pack. Will check with iPhone and get back

Monkeys

Monkeys

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
@ Doix- So I tried the latest ###### USB 3 kext, and it sort of helped, in that it appears that my Verbatim flash drive is working now corretly. But still no iPhone or midi devices, which was what really hoping to get working..

Have you tried midi devices with your setup?

I'm wondering if there is anything in your SSDT tables that you suspect are helping to make your USB3 work correctly, that I need to integrate to my SSDT tables?

Do you think you could try to integrate the required information into the SSDT tables for the i5 2410m which I have uploaded here previously? Or if you could just advise me or post here what you have added?

Would be greatly appreciated =) The USB 3 issues are basically the last thing that I need to fix with my setup to get it running more-or-less, perfectly..

Also there's the very occasional graphics glitches, what did you do to eliminate yours? Care to post a guide or something similar? I have the full hd monitor and the GT 540m.

Rockball73

Rockball73

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Ho, great news for you... On my install, it seems not to work. But maybe I'll make a fresh install in these days, because I think I have some errors with it : can't load MSRDumper via Terminal, can't install 10.7.4 even if it worked for DoiX, ... and some other things I didn't have before.
I hope some day we will get an unlocked BIOS with GUID support and more important : nVidia as primary GPU :)

**Please, make our dreams come true**

I tried 10.8 DP3 yesterday, and the install was successful, with DSDT, Speedstepper, ... and everything working as expected. Only problem that remains on my install is that I'm unable to launch apps such as Mail, Tasks, ... but Calendar, Messages, and others are working fine. Don't know if it's related to my install or if it's a general issue.

Kirky

Kirky

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Filming & Editing!
Has anyone heard anything about the new MacBook Pro's? if they have nVidia graphics cards would that help solve the 540m cards, or is it still down to a bios issue?

I've been running 10.7.3 fine, but since upgrading from 10.7.1 I can only seem to have one 4GB memory stick installed? if I try and add the second one the system doesn't load? not sure if its an update issue or a Chimera issue. I also have occasional memory glitches, usually I log off and back on and they are fine though. Took the Bluray player out and got a hard drive caddie and run 2x 480gb Agility 3 drives, works very well editing in FCPX, but would love to have that damn elusive nVidia 540m card working!

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
First time i hear about your 4GB only problem... when i have time i'll look into it.
This is a little random: glitches occur when having too much memory or too low, beside the overheating problem. Personally with 6 GB and modded Intel GPU kexts to have 512mb of mem detected works fine, i guess you need to have less. I said i'll release these mods with my next package... hope thats gonna be soon.

At the moment i'm working on DSDT for nvidia gpu.. debugging my work. I'm 90%, when i'm done i'll get confirmation if it's a DSDT problem or a driver problem. Right now it seems the DSDT is finished, the card struggling to get activated but something crashes it at startup. I've tracked that something to NVDAResman.kext. I'll debug this when i'm done with the DSDT.

New MBPs are rumored to have ati gpus... but it's not reliable yet. I think the next line of MBPs will be released with ML, and ML still has a lot of surprises for us.

Rockball73

Rockball73

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
I've got 4Go of RAM and my IntelHD is detected with 384mb of memory. Is the memory of the iGPU related to the size of RAM our laptop has? Or is it a matter of CPU power?

Still, if you need testers, I'm here to test your new DSDT :)

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
It scales, but i think 384mb is the limit. Or Sys profiler has a visual bug, not sure. With standard kexts i too have 384mb... 8GB too i think tho i'm not sure, i've only seen one screenshot.

Kirky

Kirky

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Filming & Editing!

First time i hear about your 4GB only problem... when i have time i'll look into it.
This is a little random: glitches occur when having too much memory or too low, beside the overheating problem. Personally with 6 GB and modded Intel GPU kexts to have 512mb of mem detected works fine, i guess you need to have less. I said i'll release these mods with my next package... hope thats gonna be soon.

At the moment i'm working on DSDT for nvidia gpu.. debugging my work. I'm 90%, when i'm done i'll get confirmation if it's a DSDT problem or a driver problem. Right now it seems the DSDT is finished, the card struggling to get activated but something crashes it at startup. I've tracked that something to NVDAResman.kext. I'll debug this when i'm done with the DSDT.

New MBPs are rumored to have ati gpus... but it's not reliable yet. I think the next line of MBPs will be released with ML, and ML still has a lot of surprises for us.

@Doix Hmm, its definitely been an odd one? I had 8gb ram when I ran 10.7.0, 512mb assigned to the HD3000 graphics and no glitches at all? Thought it might be the ram (Corsair CMS4GX3M1A1333C9) but not too sure? I think I might try and go back and start again.

Looking forward to the next package!

newpain01

newpain01

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Everyone, I am very happy to find this topic. I have installed iATKOS L2 on my Dell XPS L502X system, configuration:

CPU: Intel Core i7 2630QM
GPU: Nvidia 525m
RAM: 8GB
Monitor: 1920x1080 RG+B
HDD: 750GB
WIFI: Intel Centrino Wireless-n 1030 (not working, but will replace it with DW1510, I've read that this card works perfectly)
BIOS: A07 (I've read that sleep workn on A06, how do I downgrade it?)
triple boot, Windows7, Xubuntu, iATKOS L2

The system is working fine, except for wifi, sleep and restart doesn't work too, when I restart the system the screen goes off and the system stays on, it doesn't restart, I have to press the power button to turn it off and start it again, can anyone please tell me what is the problem? Also, the system sometimes freezes, it happend twice in two days(that's how long I have it installed).
Thanks for your help,
really appreciate it
keep up the good work!

Rockball73

Rockball73

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Hi Everyone, I am very happy to find this topic. I have installed iATKOS L2 on my Dell XPS L502X system, configuration:

CPU: Intel Core i7 2630QM
GPU: Nvidia 525m
RAM: 8GB
Monitor: 1920x1080 RG+B
HDD: 750GB
WIFI: Intel Centrino Wireless-n 1030 (not working, but will replace it with DW1510, I've read that this card works perfectly)
BIOS: A07 (I've read that sleep workn on A06, how do I downgrade it?)
triple boot, Windows7, Xubuntu, iATKOS L2

The system is working fine, except for wifi, sleep and restart doesn't work too, when I restart the system the screen goes off and the system stays on, it doesn't restart, I have to press the power button to turn it off and start it again, can anyone please tell me what is the problem? Also, the system sometimes freezes, it happend twice in two days(that's how long I have it installed).
Thanks for your help,
really appreciate it
keep up the good work!

Concerning your BIOS, to downgrade it to A06, you only have to flash the A06... It will erase the A07 and then install the A06, so no manipulation to do for it.

Restart bug is a wellknow problem of DoiX since he modded the DSDT to unpower the nVidia GPU and then increase battery life... There's no fix at the moment, but DoiX made a script for it, see a few pages earlier :) If you're lazy, you can use it, but it's not a big deal since you can Shutdown then reboot manually...

WiFi : You have to change the wireless card for a compatible one.
Sleep : Install A06 BIOS and everything will work fine (if you enabled SpeedStep, of course).

And concerning the freezes, when does it happen? Explain a little more the moment it happened and what were you running (apps, Safari, videos, ...) so that someone can help you :)

Have a good day/night/evening/...

newpain01

newpain01

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the answer,

btw what is SpeedStep? I don't remember enabling it, how can I?
it froze twice, once using Photo Booth, I took 3 photos and was looking around the effects and the system froze, and the other time I was surfing using FireFox and it froze, sometimes I can see horizontal lines on my screen too, but It's not a problem for now.

Thanks for the help,
Have a good day

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,149 posts

Thanks for the answer,

btw what is SpeedStep? I don't remember enabling it, how can I?
it froze twice, once using Photo Booth, I took 3 photos and was looking around the effects and the system froze, and the other time I was surfing using FireFox and it froze, sometimes I can see horizontal lines on my screen too, but It's not a problem for now.

Thanks for the help,
Have a good day

Can't tell what caused the freezes... since you didn't get Kernel Panic i assume it's related to the IGPU but i'm not sure.

SpeedStepping is CPU Throttle, or "Turbo Boost up to 2.9Ghz" this may ring a bell. Essentially a type of on-need-overclock

newpain01

newpain01

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
oh, the SSDT? I selected 3TS-SSDT.aml from your package, will that work with sleep if I downgrade the bios to A06? I see there is A10 bios firmware now, what about it with iATKOS?

Thanks for all the help

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
3TS-SSDT = Up to 2.4-2.6 GHZ
9TS-SSDT = Up to 2.9 GHz

If you want more power, just select the 9 TS.

So far the only proper working bios is the A06, the rest mess something up (sleep, resolution) and they don't really fix/improve anything... at least not on my system.

Rockball73

Rockball73

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
To see if SpeedStep is activated on your L502x :

- Download MSRDumper.kext ;
- Open Terminal and type :
sudo kextload [DRAG & DROP MSRDumper.kext HERE]
- Enter your password ;
- Go to Utilities > Console ;
- Look at the lines with something like "Pstates" and "Pstates reached" ;
- If you see more than 2 values (8 and 24), then it's working. If you only see 2 values, Speedstep isn't activated.

Hope it helps

PS: To install Speedstep, use the link to Speedstep in DoiX's Tuto, or install the "Patched AICPUPM.kext" from DoiX's package... If you have an i7, then use AICPUPM from DoiX's package. If you have an i5, then I'll upload you my own AICPUPM (AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext) as I have one.

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
OS X Lion 10.7.4 Update is now officially released!

Installing procedure is the same as before, use combo update > install don't reset > reinstall necessary kexts & rebuild kext cache > restart.
For speed stepping, use AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from the previous version you had (10.7.2 or 10.7.3) untill 10.7.4 patcher is released.

http://support.apple...US&locale=en_US

DON'T FORGET TO BACKUP YOUR WORKING INSTALL, in case something goes horribly wrong!

@JKBuha, i see you guys over at bios-mods reached the same dead end as i did... it's impossible to find out what each byte does without a proper reference.. or at least without a huge stroke of luck.

I'll join you guys with the bios-modding in june when i'm done with work and exams but i do hope you guys have a breakthrough till then.

Rockball73

Rockball73

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
I'll give it a try. I hope this will work, this time.
If it screws my install, this will be the oppotunity to make a fresh one :)

I'll be reporting tomorrow...

maxey

maxey

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Yes, that's the one. But you can get it much cheaper, I think. I bought it for half the price in China and it arrived in 10 working days... I'm living in Belgium, and it was supposed to take about 20 working days so, pretty fast :)
If I can get the link I will give it to you.
And it's very simple to install. Just take off the back panel (with 4 screws) and it right there. Pull it off, insert the DW1510 and... MIRACLE... you have WiFi :)

Hey btw, it worked JUST as you said ! ;) quite easy too.... :) Since it is the "maintenance" cover under which it was , will dell refuse to grant me my warranty if they see the new card?
The point is that i will have a dell guy coming to my place replace the display and some of the cpu cooling paste and housing. Should i insert the Intel Card before that again?
(Don't have the original ram though :D)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2016 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy