[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

* * * * * 5 votes

• Please log in to reply
2989 replies to this topic

JasonSznol

JasonSznol

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Boot0 is caused by faulty bootloader or/and bad partition table. Use only MBR partition table, GUID is not working for us (bios limitations)

I think I have a faulty bootloader. I installed off a partition on my MBR hard drive as I have a windows installation sitting side by side.

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts
  • Interests:Photography, design, beer.
Guys, i can't remap the fn + f4 and fn + f5 keys since they are considered virtual in the drivers (this means they don't actually output an event). Would you prefer i just set the brightness on them as normal f4/f5 keys or on the touch keys number 2 and 3?

Also, can't get the lock trackpad thing to work, i'm failing to find the event id.. it may also be virtual.

Monkeys

Monkeys

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
@DoiX - If they are considered virtual then you need to add the raw output even to the driver. That is what the debug voodoops2keyboard.kext will give you, I have tested it myself and the fn + f4, and fn + f5 keys, as well as the other touch keys, do output unique events. I just couldn't figure out how to add them to the driver =S

Try googling for the 'debug voodoops2keyboard.kext' I will also try again in the meantime as I have found it before..

I would prefer to use the touch keys 2 and 3 for other shortcuts, eg. Sleep, screensaver etc. This may also help you to get the lock trackpad thing to work. Although I suspect that it has something to do with the trackpad driver, rather than the lack of a hotkey. Have you tried remapping it to an existing key, to see if it will lock at all?

Monkeys

Monkeys

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Here's the 'debug' version of Voodops2controller.kext this will allow you to get the event/scan codes for the unrecognized keys. THE kext is 32 bit so you will need to boot with the flag arch=i386, you will also probably need to replace the NULLCPUPM kext to allow booting in 32 bit mode.

I tried to load it and get it working on 10.7.3 but for some reason I get stuck on the 'still waiting for root device' error again. Really not sure what could be causing this.. I think I might go back to 10.7.2 as there really aren't any benefits to 10.7.3..

Monkeys

Monkeys

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Oops =P Forgot to attach the file!

https://rapidshare.c...22327/Debug.zip

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,131 posts
The console doesn't show any output neither with the voodoo debug... whats the code you get when you hit fn+f4/f5?

Monkeys

Monkeys

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I can't remember. And I can't seem to get it running on 10.7.3.. I'm pretty sure that it did output a scancode though.

Did you manage to get the scan codes for the two touch keys?

Perhaps that is waht I WAS remembering, sorry.

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,131 posts
The touch keys output codes, only the two display brightness specific ones don't....

Monkeys

Monkeys

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I see, thats strange. Well then I guess if you could add the touch keys to the voodoops2keyboard kext. That would be very helpful =) to me, they are more important that the brightness ones anyway, as they are easily remapped.

Cheers

amh10

amh10

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Another random question. Has anyone got the eSATA port on the right working?

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,131 posts
It's natively working, but it doesn't support hot plugging, you must restart your laptop with the device plugged in.

amh10

amh10

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Ok thanks. I'm just crippled with the lack of wifi. Does anyone have any recommendations for the best mini-WLAN card to fit?

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,131 posts
A great suggestion is exactly on the first page of this thread :)

Update: Here's a diff kext for the keyboard, it will allow you to assign new functions to the fn + f3 keys and the 3 touch keys. These keys are configured to use the numeric keypad (not found on our laptops) so if you use an usb keyboard and you assign custom events using Better Touch Tool you will trigger them using the 4 6 8 num pad keys.

Attached File  Archive.zip   153.61KB   16 downloads

sheyac

sheyac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Have you guys managed to get sleep working? I'm on bios A07, using chimera 1.7, use the patched AICPU from v6 and the Nvidia-off DSDT, have deleted NullCPUPM as well. Going into sleep works fine, but waking doesn't. Just hangs on black screen (no audio or anything).

Also I still can't find out why i can't get a boot theme (there is only org.chameleon.boot.plist in Extra directory - nothing else anywhere, not even com.apple.boot.plist).

Edit: Turned out my active partition was Windows not OS X. After setting the active partition to OS X the theme came up as well as all the modules loading (they weren't before).

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,131 posts
Sleep only works on A06 bios :)

birdibird

birdibird

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Ok thanks. I'm just crippled with the lack of wifi. Does anyone have any recommendations for the best mini-WLAN card to fit?

I bought a cheap Medion P89081 (MD 86498) wlan-n nano usb-dongle.
It works perfectly with the official Realtek RTL8192CU 10.7 Lion drivers from their website :thumbsup_anim:

Monkeys

Monkeys

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
@Doix - Hmm, those kexts are giving me kernel panics, So I can't boot. The KP is a random one, not pointing to either of the kexts in most cases. Has anyone else tried the new PS2 kexts? I'm on 10.7.3 so that could be the reason?

Also, it could just be me. But I am noticing some rather strange behavior on my setup. I think it has something to do with my kext cache. Sometimes, after replacing a kext which is giving me errors (which I do via macdrive in windows), then booting with -f to ignore caches, I get stuck on the 'still waiting for root device' error on startup. But then if I boot without -f and just use -v, I observe it reading the kexts upon startup, then it will boot correctly.

To my understanding, -f should just manually read all the kexts, and if they are working corretly, the device should boot. But this doesn't seem to be the case.

Anyone observed this sort of behavior before? After entering the OS and rebuilding caches with kext wizard the OS will boot normally, but it just wont with -f? Very strange..

Also Doix, are the PS2 kexts you edited compatible with VoodooPS2Trackpad? As although I would like to have the extra keys to assign functions to. I would prefer to use the Voodoo trackpad kext, as I find it more suitable. Also I previously had issues with waking from sleep with the ApplePS2 kexts.

Monkeys

Monkeys

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
@Doix - Also have you given any effort to modifying the DSDT to fix the audio and add the codec id's etc for the Audio kext and enabling the HD audio via a dsdt mod? I realize that it is not really necessary, but it could improve the audio performance. I notice that there is a very slight lag when initiating audio (ie when pressing the volume buttons) after it has been idle for some time. This behaviour does not occur on a real mac. I have read that injecting the audio values by DSDT yields a better working audio setup, than by using a legacy kext and/or modified AppleHDA. Also then the modified Audio kexts would not be required, as the information would be injected via DSDT.

There is a decent set of instructions for doing this in posts 24-25 of this thread: http://osx86.co/f36/...1960/page3.html

Also, a very minor issue is the brightness. It would be nice to have it functioning as it does in windows. With the minimum and maximum settings available right after boot. I find that after sleeping the display, the minimum brightness is no longer 'dark' enough for night operation. I think there is information on that in the link provided as well.

I realize that I am 'plucking at straws' but with more and more issues being resolved, I figure it is worth pointing out things that can still be improved upon with this machine.

I will have a look at the DSDT mod for the audio and brightness later tonigh when I have time, but I am an amateur at best when it comes to DSDT modding. I figure that you will be able to resolve these issues with far less effort than I will :wink2:

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,131 posts
KP seem to happen when you boot in verbose mode. Weird.

I can't enable audio only with DSDT, it requires binary patching and the "lag" is present on almost all non natively working audio chips.

Brightness thing won't happen, the values are stored in the driver, virtually, not in the acpi.

hanthor

hanthor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, im a newbie. I was getting still waiting on root device right after the NIC when trying to boot from USB to install. So that i add -f and cpus=1 to the boot options and not it runs out a ramdisk space? and fails too load the voodoops2 trackpad kexts. So the trackpad od mouse does not work even though now I can get to the welcom page. Should there be issues if i can boot from the ISB with rBoot?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy