[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

* * * * * 5 votes

• Please log in to reply
2974 replies to this topic

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
  • Interests:Photography, design, beer.
I've finished analyzing the DSDT file from 06 and 07 bios... i couldn't find any differences, i'll look at them again tomorrow but for now i do not know why the system can't wake up from sleep, tried some code lines but without success. I fear it might be related to the GPU... i think it doesn't wake up from sleep... or maybe the bios changelog is incomplete and dell changed more than admitted. I have no idea so far, feel free to post if you guys have any.

P.S - also flashed the modded undervolt bios, didn't see any temp diff on OS X but that was expected.

AKennedy_4

AKennedy_4

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:Technology, Sports
@DoiX, I can enter sleep, but not awake from it. Not sure if that is your same problem

Alex DeWolf

Alex DeWolf

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
Thanks DoiX. I will let you know how it goes.

bastisk8

bastisk8

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
Thanks to DoiX and AKennedy_4 `s continuous efforts I finally managed to install Lion on my XPS 15. Turns out my DVD-drive was faulty and since it was swapped out, Iatkos L1 booted flawlessly.
I basically just followed this detailled tutorial (http://www.insanelym...=0#entry1773272) and got everything except from wifi working. Just got some minor graphic hiccups left (random small horizontal lines etc.).
Btw., both provided sound kexts worked for me, I just had to set the output to the XPS speakers in system preferences and edit the described ALC kext to get rid of the heavy bass.

Dual boot with chimera also worked OK, yet I didn´t find a proper solution to make my Windows 7 partition the default boot device (I understand that it could be done in chameleon.boot.plist) and to set the timeout to something between 3-5 seconds. "Lizard" used to be a neat tool to do that, but that doesn`t seem to exist anymore.

So I just ended up trying to avoid Chimera/Chameleon and set the boot flag back to my windows partition (with Gparted Live CD) but found out that Chimera is still the active bootloader instead of the Windows standard ?!?. Any ideas on that?
My initial plan was to use standard Windows bootloader and add the Lion partition using easyBCD in Windows. Since all my important data are on the Windows partition, I wanted something easy to fix in case of crashes and find that windows can easily be fixed with the DVD and automatic startup repair. Using Chimera, I`m afraid this wouldn`t work anymore.

So I just deleted Lion angain and am about to start again from scratch, yet I`d still prefer to use the Windows bootloader instead of Chimera.
Can anyone provide help?

AKennedy_4

AKennedy_4

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Hey bastick8, only a couple of ideas to solve your problem:

1) The easiest solution is to edit the chamelon boot plist. Two simple edits hide my data partition and set windows as the default boot partition:

To make windows the default boot partition add this to the boot plist: Original tut here. Be warned the label way didn't work for me. Also the original guide is missing a comma in between the x and y. So I added it here

open a terminal and type in
diskutil list
and hit enter
This gives you the hard drive device and partition id for your win 7 partition.
Note also the "Label" name if it has one - if it doesn't, you can boot windows and use disk manager to give it a name.

open your com.apple.boot.plist (or org.chameleon.boot.plist) and add the following key

<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(x,y)</string>

where x = your hard drive id and y = your win7 partition
or
you can use the "label" of your win7 partition

<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>"label"</string>

Make sure the label is enclosed in quotes.

To hide your data partition you need to go back into diskutil in terminal and take the x and y values for the data partition and add this to the plist too:

<key>Hide Partition</key>
<string>hd(x,y)</string>

2) (To use this method make sure you have the RBootLE CD handy) When you install Lion, run the show all files program and look at the root of your OSX drive. Remove the boot file by putting it on your desktop. Reboot, and windows should auto boot know that you've taken OSX out of the picture.(This method is the only way I got windows to recognize the bootloader) run the easyBCD program and reinstall windows boot loader, and then add OSX to windows boot loader. You should then be able to boot with the RBootLE cd and put the boot file back into the root of the drive and theoretically have dual boot windows boot loader

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,130 posts
Finished analyzing the DSDT files, console logs with each bios version... i don't know what's messing with the sleep, i suggest downgrading if you are an avid user of sleep function (to downgrade the bios just simply download A06 and install it)

Alex DeWolf

Alex DeWolf

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

@Alex, uhm... that's deff a System Definition problem, use ##### and install a MacBook Pro 8,X system definition. You will boot fine then.

Ok this worked. USB is dead though. I am on 7.1 and am doing the 7.2 upgrade.
Also because the USB is not working no Bluetooth (I have a Bluetooth keyboard).
I also notice only one CPU is displayed in Activity Monitor

one9092002

one9092002

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:hackintosh,networking,programming graphic design,video editing
@ doix if i an install 10.7 and install intelfb kext everything works well and no dsdt it runs fine and if i install 10.7.1 and your dsdt and get freezes and this happens with 10.7.2 as well

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,130 posts

@ doix if i an install 10.7 and install intelfb kext everything works well and no dsdt it runs fine and if i install 10.7.1 and your dsdt and get freezes and this happens with 10.7.2 as well

Well then... stick to what works for you.

bastisk8

bastisk8

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
@AKennedy_4: Thanks for your help. Just a few more questions:

1) The easiest solution is to edit the chamelon boot plist. Two simple edits hide my data partition and set windows as the default boot partition

2) (To use this method make sure you have the RBootLE CD handy) When you install Lion, run the show all files program and look at the root of your OSX drive. Remove the boot file by putting it on your desktop. Reboot, and windows should auto boot know that you've taken OSX out of the picture.(This method is the only way I got windows to recognize the bootloader) run the easyBCD program and reinstall windows boot loader, and then add OSX to windows boot loader. You should then be able to boot with the RBootLE cd and put the boot file back into the root of the drive and theoretically have dual boot windows boot loader

1.) Ok, got it. But still, there seems to be no way to set a shorter timeout to boot the default partition, right?

2.) That seems to be the way to go for me. Where do I get the "show all files program" from?
So once i removed the boot file from the Lion partition, the bootflag is set back to windows again?
What do you mean by "run the easyBCD program and reinstall windows boot loader"?

Just for my clarification on how to proceed, pls advise if possible:

1. Remove boot file from OS X partition (make hidden files visible before doing so)
2. Reboot, Windows should start automatially. If not, set bootflag back to Windows partition with Gparted. Boot Windows 7.
3. Start easyBCD and add a generic Max OS X entry to the default Windows bootloader, set preferred timeout. Restart.
4. Boot Lion with rBootLE.
5. put Bootfile back to root of OS X partition. Restart.
6. Windows bootloader should come up at startup and have 2 entrys, one default for Windows 7 and another for OS X, both operating systems should boot flawlessly.

Is that right? I`m still hesitant to try since all my data are still on my windows drive and I can`t allow to screw up something.

owen77

owen77

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Hi people, does somebody know help for this?

Hi guys,

I have installed the iAtkos L2 on my XPS 15 with the customized options. The only thing I could not choose was the 11.0.0 GM Kernel because it was not on the list.
1. Is that because of the L2 version? Should I take L1? Or is L2 alright too?

After installing I booted with rBoot and -v GraphicEnabler=no busratio=20 into my installed Lion.
The system boots but the graphic is of course slow and horrible. I guess now I have to install the kext files.
I can't come further at the Speedstep in Lion.
2. Is that what I have to do next?
I don't know how to include the MSRDumper kext in SpeedStepper and (LOAD IT FROM THE TERMINAL DO NOT INSTALL IN EXTENSIONS).

Can somebody help me?

Thanks in advance,
Owen

AKennedy_4

AKennedy_4

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

@AKennedy_4: Thanks for your help. Just a few more questions:

1.) Ok, got it. But still, there seems to be no way to set a shorter timeout to boot the default partition, right?

2.) That seems to be the way to go for me. Where do I get the "show all files program" from?
So once i removed the boot file from the Lion partition, the bootflag is set back to windows again?
What do you mean by "run the easyBCD program and reinstall windows boot loader"?

Just for my clarification on how to proceed, pls advise if possible:

1. Remove boot file from OS X partition (make hidden files visible before doing so)
2. Reboot, Windows should start automatially. If not, set bootflag back to Windows partition with Gparted. Boot Windows 7.
3. Start easyBCD and add a generic Max OS X entry to the default Windows bootloader, set preferred timeout. Restart.
4. Boot Lion with rBootLE.
5. put Bootfile back to root of OS X partition. Restart.
6. Windows bootloader should come up at startup and have 2 entrys, one default for Windows 7 and another for OS X, both operating systems should boot flawlessly.

Is that right? I`m still hesitant to try since all my data are still on my windows drive and I can`t allow to screw up something.

1) To my knowledge windows can't set the timeout to be lower than a 5 second value either

2) And yes those steps are correct and should work in theory. You won't mess up your windows partition at all since your just modifying the bootloader. The worst case scenario is you have to boot the windows repair disk or use RBootLE to reinstall chimera. As for the show all programs app, you can install that in #####. Also, EasyBCD has an option to reinstall the windows 7 bootloader. Thats what I was referring too

Hi people, does somebody know help for this?

Maybe this will help you

Alex DeWolf

Alex DeWolf

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
Any ideas on USB 2 ports?

ik_ben_Mark

ik_ben_Mark

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
I got iAtkos L1 installed on my L502x now using DoiX and AKennedy guides together (I have the same specs as AKennedy, except 4GB) I have a few questions.

1. How can I fix the startup of windows? Because I have missing BOOTMGR now. Can I just use these commands: BootRec /FixMBR, BootRec /FixBoot and BootRec /RebuildBCD?
Or does this break the boot loader? If so, what can I use to fix this?
Posted Image

2. My audio hardware isn't recognized when I open Audio/MIDI-configuration. It was recognized one time before (don't know if it was this install) but I don't know with which kextx that was or if I used both kexts. Can you use both kexts at the same time or do I need to delete one if I want to try the other one? And were do I need to delete the kexts? Here? /System/Library/Extensions

3. I have the idea my Kext Wizzard isn't working properly anymore. In the beginning it selected automaticly my OS X target disk. But now it say Choose and I can only choose between Choose / Item 2 / Item 3. How does this come? I downloaded it again from the forum topic of (http://www.insanelym...howtopic=253395 newer?) and it works again!

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,130 posts
@ik_ben_mark, if memory serves, it will break chimera/chameleon, but that's not a problem, just boot with rBoot LE CD and reinstall chimera and it's gonna get fixed.

@Alex DeWolf, what about them? USB 2 are working perfectly... i got a usb hub so i can avoid USB 3 ports, although they are working relatively fine, on my machine if i unplug whatever it was plugged there, the CPU will go crazy due to some errors from the usb3 kext..

ik_ben_Mark

ik_ben_Mark

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Can I also install it with #####? Because I don't know how to install it thru rBoot LE :wallbash:

What is the best way to check which audio Kext I need? Delete both, than install AppleHDA.kext thru Kext Wizard, then Kext Utility and finally repair permissions in Disk Utility? (Do I need to reboot after this?) Check System > Sound > Output? (or were can I check if my sound works?)
If it doesn't work, delete AppleHDA.kext again and import IOAudioFamily.kext thru wizard, utility, repair (reboot?)
And/or do I need to install both? And were do I need to delete the old Kext? Only in /System/Library/Extensions?
I also saw that there is an IOAudio2Family.kext in the Extension folder, is this right? Does it has the be there or do I need to delete that too?

So in summary about my audio.
1. Is my install method good? Kext Wizard > Kext Utility > Repair permissions ?
1b. Do I need to reboot after this?
2. Where can I check if my sound works? In System > Sound > Output?
3. If I want to delete kext (old audio in this case) do I only need to delete them in /System/Library/Extensions?
4. AppleHDA.kext and IOAudioFamily.kext are the kexts responsible for the audio right?

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,130 posts
Erhm..... rBoot LE = Rescue Boot Laptop Edition CD... it's exactly what it says it is, a boot cd, nothing more, so of course you install it using ##### or the standalone package.

There is no best way to check what audio you need, afaik none figured out why some kexts are working and others not, trial and error my friend, trial and error.

After installing kexts it is best to reboot so the kexts get properly loaded. Just install via Kext Wizard every kext you find in the folder, or use my package and use kext utility to repair everything then reboot..

1/1b. Yes
2. Yes, it should be on Internal Speakers
3. Yes, only there, thats the only place where the kexts get installed.
4. THose 2 + an injector kext... in my pack it's Dell_XPS_ALC665.kext... without this it won't work

I insist on using my latest package (v5) in the Audio section, you have 2 kexts 502x and 702x, first try with the 502x. Kext utility > Repair permissions > reboot, if it doesnt work, install the 702x one. Same procedure.

ik_ben_Mark

ik_ben_Mark

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Thnx DoiX for your answers!

But I am still having problems making Windows 7 boot again. I tried the standard Startup Repair and I tried the three commands mentioned above, but I can't get windows to boot.
I also tried this:
bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
c:
cd boot
attrib bcd -s -h -r
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
bootrec /RebuildBcd
But this also doesn't solve the windows boot problem. How did you guys fix this boot?

edit: I tried installing the kexts manual because that was advised in AKennedy_4 guide, but i tried you're package install and audio indeed works like a charm. The only thing i need to fix is the dual boot with windows 7

AKennedy_4

AKennedy_4

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Windows won't repair it's boot loader with chimera installed over it. From memory, you have to delete the boot file in the root of osx partition and then repair windows boot loader. After that boot with RBootLE and reinstall chimera

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,130 posts
@AKennedy_4, mind updating the guide on the Genius Bar section with that crucial piece of information? :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy