[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

Just to clarify my setup:

Disk 0: 4 partitions

1- System reserved for windows 7

2) Windows 7

3) Unallcolated for OS X

4) Media

Disk1: USB drive with 3 partitions, MBR Boot table, 40GB total space

1) iAtkos L1

2) NFTS Media

3) Time Machine backup

Thinking I might delete all partitions on the USB Drive and just have one partition with iatkos L1 on it.

Also, I attached 2 photos of my bios settings just for good measure. Thanks for your help

post-298881-1319326278_thumb.jpg

post-298881-1319326291_thumb.jpg

I got most everything working, but somewhere along the way I lost touchpad scrolling. Multi-touch never did work for me, but I was able to scroll with the right side of the trackpad. In System Preferences - Trackpad, it says there aren't any found.

I'm on 10.7.2, and have tried reinstalling the relavant kexts from the l502x lion pack folder. Any ideas?

Hey crdnilfan,

Did you install on a clean hard disk without windows 7 or any other partitions? And did you use the iAtkos method or upgrade from SL?

Thanks for your time

I installed on a disk partitioned like so:

1) 150GB Windows 7 (Installed before)

2) 420GB Data/Media

3) 100GB Mac OS X

4) 30GB Time Machine

I used iAtkos to get to 10.7.1, which I had working scrolling on, then after fixing the display and all other issues, still had working scrolling. Updated to 10.7.2, the only thing I lost was scrolling, everything else stayed working.

The standard -v -GraphicsEnabler=No busratio=20, but considering that all went fine, I configured everything correctly, and I now boot without any flags, those shouldn't matter anymore.

I guess I'm curious to know if anybody here has working touchpad scrolling with 10.7.2 installed

@Futuregator15, i don't know what to say, did some test now can't boot from USB stick directly or through rBoot, but i can boot from it using the working chimera from my OS X install. I'm pretty much out of ideas on your problem atm.

Best just burn it on a DVD, or make a small 6gb partition and restore it there, that should guarantee the boot ;)

@crdnilfan TouchPad Scrolling is working perfectly, rebuild cache manually and delete whatever lies in the cache folder and boot with UseKernelCache=Yes (check the answers i gave to SpeBlue a page or two back for detailed explanation of how to do this)

While I was going back through the process of installing 10.6.3 I found my way into the disk utility and realized that OS X sees the drives differently than windows does. For example disk 0 would be my primary hard drive in windows and disk 1 would be my USB drive. However this is opposite in OS X. for example disk0 is my external USB drive and disk 1 is my internal hard drive. Maybe this we a noob discovery due to my inexperience with OS X, but I think it would be useful for others out there who get the "still waiting on root device" error when trying to use iAtkos

Just a progress update on anyone in the future that has this problem:

I reinstalled 10.6.3, installed [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and the sandy bridge update helper suggested by DoiX. Rebooted. Installers 10.6.8 combo update. Rebooted. Them ran into a kernel panic. Once I tried to boot again.

Also the boot loader completely crashed on me and now I can't even get in it. I don't know of this is because I used EasyBCD to create a dual boot system or because of how I installed OS X.

When I tried to specify the location of the USB drive, that failed again too.

Now I'm gonna try and create a partition directly on the hard disk. Reinstall my working 10.6.3 so I can restore the iAtkos image to the partition. Guess this is my last resort. Thanks for the help DoiX. Hope I can fix this curse I have on my computer

@Doix

I'm still stuck on the speedstepper issue in 10.7.2, but I'm also experiencing a slight graphics breakup with your Full HD DSDT? (my DSDT just gives the pinkish image in 10.7.2, but worked in 10.7.1?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Firstly, I've got the i7 2630 processor, 8gb ram, 1920x1080 screen spec. I had speedstepper working in 10.7.1, but without audio as I was still using the E/E folder. I've now installed 10.7.2 and migrated everything across to S/L/E and audio works. I also have Full HD resolution, but no speedstepper and occasional graphics breakup? My Geekbench score has reduced to 7700

I've tried the reinstalling speedstepper steps and I get a message in terminal saying that its already been patched?

I've done the creating my own Extensions.mkext through KextWizard and placed it in the S/L/C/C/Startup folder and deleted everything else in their and rebooted, but still no speed stepper?

I've even tried replacing my AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext with the one you uploaded and still no speedstepper?

Questions...

When using KernelCache instead of E/Extensions.mkext, can you still use the KextUtility.app to repair permissions? or Is it safe to repair permissions in Macs DiskUtility.app?

Also, I'm now unsure if everything is correct in my org.chameleon.boot.plist file? does yours read like this.......

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string> PCIRootUID=1 npci=0x2000</string>
<key>device-properties</key>
<string>600000000100000001000000540000000100000002010c00d041030a000000000101060000027fff04001e00
00004100410050004c002c006f0073002d0069006e0066006f0000001800000030490111111108000001f01f01000000
10070000</string>
<key>DSDT</key>
<string>DSDT.aml</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>1</string>
	<key>GenerateCStates</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GeneratePStates</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>UseKernelCache</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

@Kirky, whats that device property thing? Is it the one from wen1 for graphics under chameleon? You might wanna remove that.. as for speed stepper, that score is equivalent with the 3TS SSDT i made, you are most likely using that, load msrdumper and poster what speedsteps it gets after a while :)

@futuregator i'll thing about it when i'm done with work.

FIXED MY ISSUE!

I realized that after I forgot to patch my 10.6.3 installation with the mbr support and USB 3.0 drivers, that I got the "waiting for root device" error again. So I found mbr files for 10.7 and patched iAtkos L1 with them and the USB 3.0 kext. I booted again and now I have a weird looking screen. The colors are all put of wack and the installation main screen is docked to the side where you can't click continue.

Update: couldn't use tab or anything to select continue with the install. Booted with -v -f GraphicsEnabler-no cpus=1 busratio=20 any ideas?

• Like 1

That weird screen happens because you have 1920x1080p screen, add the FHD DSDT on the stick or delete AppleIntelFSBGraphics (i hope i wrote the name correctly) from extensions folder and boot with it. This should remove QE/CE Graphics from the installer.

Alright so I got to the customize screen, but it doesn't display anything. And when I click install anyways it says it's missing language packs and it can't install so I have to reboot.. Sorry for all the trouble and noobish questions

Used this guide here and downloaded the MBR patch. However the site says it supports Lion GM to final. and Nawcom also has a patch for 10.7.2 but I didn't see one for 10.7.1

But wait, that patch should be ok since it fixed my waiting for root device error? Or was that what the USB 3.0 patch did?

The patch alters the installer itself, thats why it's mandatory to be specifically for your version. Atm it's easier to just burn iatkos on a dvd at 4x speed... you will struggle at the post install screen when booting the first time because you will have the same problem with screen, you can either just estimate where the next button is and use your mouse to click it even tho it's outside the screen, delete/rename the before mention SNB kext or copy DSDT from USB stick to root partition using -v -s single user command.

@Doix

Great work my friend! I finally have 10.7.2 installed with a geekbench score of 9700. I did as you suggested and replaced your SSDT-3TS with the SSDT-9TS and removed the Wen1's old Device Properties GFX injector that I've had in the boot.plist file since using 10.6.8. Extra/Extensions no longer exists and everything is detected through the KernelCache. My org.chameleon.boot.plist file now reads as follows...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string> PCIRootUID=1 npci=0x2000</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

@Kirky, glad you made it, i recommend smcK-Stat-i to monitor CPU temp. With that SSDT the temps in idle should be around 54C with 22ºC room temp if under normal load its around 70 i recommend getting a cooling pad if you want to keep the TS active so you don't drain the life out of it. I ordered a CoolMaster NotePal U3 it should arrive tomorrow, ill post if its good for anything.

I'll update the tutorial with what i've synthesized from the past posts soon enough.

I tried to burn iAtkos with transmac, booted with the flags -v -f GraphicsEnabler=no cpus=1 busratio=20 and got stuck at "nstat_lookup_entry_failed: 2" and above that it says no interval found for . Using 8000000

Really frustrated. Is there something I can do to fix the iAtkos customization problem I had earlier? Or maybe reinstall 10.6.3 and then install iAtkos over that? I feel like I'm only one that can't get this thing working

-v GraphicsEnabler=No busratio=20 try only this, the code line you described isn't a always a full stop in the boot process.

I'm going to sleep now, i promise tomorrow when i get home i'll try to assist you as much as i can :( till then good luck with your ordeal.. oh and remember the first time is the hardest, be thankful you have a intel machine.. i went through hell and back to get my AMD one first working years ago.

Edit: did a quick search, that line appear on real macs as well, related to system integrity. (iatkos got corrupted when burning?)

Well how about that. I tried to boot again from the cd just for the heck of it. And let it keep running. Well I came back 2 hours later and it was at the install screen. Before I only gave it about 15 minutes to install. But it's installing now! Thank you for all your help DoiX! MUCH appreciated