[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

* * * * * 5 votes

• Please log in to reply
2978 replies to this topic

rndlgna

rndlgna

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Thanks Kirky. Wen1's solution didn't work for me. I copied the three kexts to S/L/E and used wen1's dsdt but the audio is still rumbling. Please let me know if you got the audio working in 10.6.8 using his kexts and dsdt.

ps: I will try to upgrade to lion over the weekend if this doesn't work out. I already tried installing lion but when try to boot from usb drive, it says no operation system found. I copied PXHCD on to the drive but stil doesn't workl.

try this patch for ur usb drive http://www.insanelym...howtopic=263086 (10.7.0 only)

rndlgna

rndlgna

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
@ DoiX

does ur battery meter work on 10.7.2? just curious, cuz mine's not.

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
  • Interests:Photography, design, beer.
@rndlgna, I'll try it now (i keep my laptop connected all the time so i removed the battery to not overcharge it).

Yep it works, use the kexts from the pack i posted in the updated tutorial here (page 11 at the end) and use kext wizard to repair all permisions and rebuild cache :) then boot with UseKernelCache=Yes if you don't already use it.

rndlgna

rndlgna

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

@rndlgna, I'll try it now (i keep my laptop connected all the time so i removed the battery to not overcharge it).

Yep it works, use the kexts from the pack i posted in the updated tutorial here (page 11 at the end) and use kext wizard to repair all permisions and rebuild cache ;) then boot with UseKernelCache=Yes if you don't already use it.

i see, maybe its because i didnt use voodoobattery from ur kexts pack (i used the one that posted earlier) and maybe because i didnt use usekernelcache on boot
but ivent tested it out yet cuz i went back to 10.7.1
i have to, because ubuntu replaced the bootloader (chimera) and i've got no luck booting osx from grub bootloader. i've tried using rboot le to boot into osx but it got me kernel panic on 10.7.2 (10.7.1 went fine) so i decided to go back to 10.7.1 by installing osx all over again.

but now my problem is chimera can't read the linux partition (ext4) so i can't boot into it, do you or does anyone know how to fix this? or how to configure triple boot properly in l502x? thanks :D

---

EDIT : ah my bad, nevermind, i found my problem. i installed grub into MBR, it should've been into the root partition of linux. . i've fixed it and chimera can read my linux partition :D

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,130 posts
@rndlgna Glad you figured it out.

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,130 posts
Post picture of your -v screen, sounds like DSMOS isn't arriving:)

one9092002

one9092002

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:hackintosh,networking,programming graphic design,video editing

Post picture of your -v screen, sounds like DSMOS isn't arriving:)

can you explain on how to update from 10.7 to 10.7.2 ? please

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,130 posts
@ One9092002, i only updated from 10.7.1 to 10.7.2 but i can only assume its the same, download the combo update from apple, install it, DO NOT reset. Use ##### lion edition (easiest method) and install FakeSMC, NullCPUPowerManagement (if you have patched AppleCPUPowerManagement i recommend patching it after you get it working normally), extension migration assistant and then use kext utility/kext wizard to repair permission. Now restart.

dominusdj

dominusdj

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hi, I followed the guide, first of all thank you, but when I install lion and reboot XPS say that does not find the disk containing the operating system. What should I do?

I have xps 15 full hd
gt 525
8 gb ram
2820qm

Please help me
Thanks a lot

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,130 posts
@ dominusdj, did you install it on a MBR partitioned drive?

dominusdj

dominusdj

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I try to install osx on 1 unic partition MBR only to look if work, but my goal is double partition with windows 7.

Can you help me please?

Thanks

bastisk8

bastisk8

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
I also tried installing Lion all day but I`ll probably have to give up now.

I am not even able to boot the Iatkos DVD since all I am getting is a Kernel Panic.
Also, booting with arch=i686 and -v does not help.

Kirky

Kirky

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Filming & Editing!
@DoiX,

We'll I'm banging my head against the wall with this. I'm running 10.7.2 with Speedstepper and get a geek bench score or 9700. I can install the VoodooHDA2.7.3 audio kext and put up with hiss when I boot, but trying to get your audio solution working is turning out to be a task.

I can move/install most of your kexts to S/L/E except for the AppleACPIPlatform.kext and AppleHDA.kext. these two files just come back with 'files have been installed incorrectly'? States it could be a locked file, but its not? I've tried using #####'s Migration Assistant, Kext Wizard, Kext Helper and Kext Beast, then repair permissions with Kext Utility 64bit, but still not installing correctly? Might have to look up on how to do it in Terminal as I haven't done that for a while. I can install the 10.6.2 AppleHDA rollback kext from ##### instead of your AppleHDA.kext into S/L/E but I'm still left with AppleACPIPlatform.kext in Extra/Extensions all by itself and I still don't get any ALC665 audio working??? Does this sound right to you or do you have any ideas where I can go from here?

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,130 posts
Hmm, i guess you can try booting in safe mode maybe you have more freedom then. I have to go now, i'll think about this and post later.

OK, i'm back now :unsure:

@dominusdj, multibooting is easy when you got only MBR.

1. Install OS X on MBR Partitioned HDD
2. Install Windows
2.a Now, after installing Windows, your laptop will boot automatically into it.
3. Burn rBoot LE (Lion) ##### Legacy (Snow Leopard)
and boot off it intro OS X.
4. Now you must re-install your bootloader (chimera) and voila, you got Windows and OS X working on the same drive :angel:

@bastisk8 A picture or a transcript of the Kernel Panic screen would be great, i need to know whats causing this. I'm planning on making a L502x Only boot CD so more info will be valued.

@Kirky Try using terminal or booting with -v -s and use the commands there. or boot with -x maybe that will allow you to move those files. Or build the kext cache manually (kext wizard has that option (installation > drag all kexts from /E/ and /S/L/E into it, and check extensions.mkext on desktop) when its done, move it in the proper kextcache location (/S/L/caches or something) repair permission manually with terminal, and reboot with UseKernelCache=Yes

bastisk8

bastisk8

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

@bastisk8 A picture or a transcript of the Kernel Panic screen would be great, i need to know whats causing this. I'm planning on making a L502x Only boot CD so more info will be valued.

Your help is highly appreciated and a dedicated Lion DVD for the XPS l502x would be absolutely fantastic!

I hope the attached picture helps.
Also, when booting with my miniDisplayport>DVI adapter, the iAtkos DVD immediately freezes when pressing anything on the keyboard.

Attached Files

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,130 posts
Don't use the mini display cable until you have Lion installed and working, as for the picture no KP there, only SAM Error which means you prolly burned the dvd at hight speed. Burn it again wtih 4x.

dominusdj

dominusdj

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Thanks a lot DioX, now the boot of OSX start!!!
I can not enter in lion because command:-v GraphicsEnabler busratio = No = 20 does not enter. The last written on the screen is : Transcript Offline - Buffer Pool Allocate [181000] failed

this is the photo

Thanks a lot

I'm almost done, I can not stop now! :thanks_speechbubble:

Attached Files

• Attached File  foto.JPG   1.69MB   33 downloads

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,130 posts
You cannot boot into Lion after installing it? If so -v GraphicsEnabler=No busratio=20 cpus=1 arch=i386 are the proper flags not what you've written ;)

dominusdj

dominusdj

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Thanks a lot but after write " -v GraphicsEnabler=No busratio=20 cpus=1 arch=i386 " screen put the same script... I don't know what i do of wrong... ;)

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,130 posts
Well theres always the all mighty rBoot LE from tonymac ;) boot with it using the previously mentioned flags. The reason it's not booting on its own now is because you prolly forgot to check something at customization or one of the kexts is not compatible with your laptop (maybe latest revision?)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy