[AMD] 10.6.8 Guide - written by Devout

Devout

122 posts in this topic

Your graphics card is a tricky one, it's the problem here. Boot safe mode, and tell me if your graphics card is detected. For some reason it's not enabled during boot up (probably loading QE/CI out of it, and it's not loading your gfx card)

Main info from system profile:

Chipset Model: Ati radeon 3800 Series

VRAM: 512MB

Device ID: 0x9501

Revision: 0x0000

Rom Version: 113-B7710c-176

EFI Driver: 01.00.318

Hello, Devout and great work on the guide.

One question though: I cant find any ATI5000.kext in the directory mentioned. Where is it, or where should I get it? Everything going OK so far.

Cheers.

Ok I solved this, but now I can't turn on 64 bit extensions. This is what I get:

dyld: shared cached file was build against a different libSystem.dylib, ignoring cache
Patching universal binary (3 architectures)
Patching X86_64 part (processor 16777223, architecture 0)
No code signature found, skipping patch
Patch report (1): 0 instructions patched, 443 bad instructions, patches bypassed: NO
Patching I386 part (processor 7, architecture 1)
No code signature found, skipping patch
Patch report (2): 0 instructions patched, 30 bad instructions, patches bypassed: NO
Skipping non-Intel architecture (2)
No patches found, not generating output file

Any ideas?

Well... Since I'm having a monologue, let me see if I figured it out on my own:

So from what I can understand, by my observation, this will force 64 bit functionality on applications but not on the kernel. Is that correct? In system profiler, the string '64bit kernel and extensions' is set to 'No'. Is it normal, or should it be yes?

In the Activity Monitor i see that every process is of the Intel (64 bit) kind, but the process kernel_task is Intel only (32 bit) .

Can anyone at least confirm if this conclusion is true?

My laptop is

Toshiba A665-S6091

Specs of pc:

AMD Phenom™ II Quad Core Mobile Processor P940

ATI® Mobility Radeon™ HD 5650 w/ ATI® Mobility Radeon™ HD 4200 dual graphics card.

Chipset:AMD 785GX

Southbridge:AMD SB850

Audio Chipset:ALC 269

Wifi:Realtek RTL8188CE Wlan

Lan:Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller

Did everything up to the point of loading OSX 10.6.3 retail and this occur... help please!

Need to install so i can develop some apps for final project of Computer Science degree..PLEASE HELP!

post-310239-1303608209_thumb.jpg

post-310239-1303608362_thumb.jpg

<br />My laptop is <br />Toshiba A665-S6091<br /><br />Specs of pc:<br />AMD Phenom™ II Quad Core Mobile Processor P940<br />ATI® Mobility Radeon™ HD 5650 w/ ATI® Mobility Radeon™ HD 4200 dual graphics card.<br />Chipset:AMD 785GX<br />Southbridge:AMD SB850<br />Audio Chipset:ALC 269<br />Wifi:Realtek RTL8188CE Wlan<br />Lan:Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller<br /><br />Did everything up to the point of loading OSX 10.6.3 retail and this occur... help please!<br /><br />Need to install so i can develop some apps for final project of Computer Science degree..PLEASE HELP!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

There are no errors on that log, use "-x" without quotation marks to boot up and see if it boots in safe mode. Leave the boot up longer and you might see "still waiting for root device" but I'm not sure since the screenshots you've shown don't indicate any problems.

I've doing installing 10.6.3 on a usb instead of a DVD, I booted in -x a couple of times before but when i did it, the USB ports went blank, thus forcing installation to a halt...

I'm gonna get a dual layer and burn 10.6.3 on it then retry with the safe mode command... hope it works.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you rlf, I will check that out.

However I have got another question.

Instead of having Snow Leopard on DVD I restored it to a USB 8GB. If I use your Chameleon Booter (Which I have on another 2GB USB) and if I then start the Snow Leopard Retail USB my computer will reboot or get the "Still waiting for root device". I have tried both -v and busratio=22.

However, if I use another loader from another guide (NawcomCD loader) I won't fail the process and will end up to the point where I start my installation.

How come your loader doesnt work with my computer but another does? Im using the same Snow Leopard USB on both.

I patched the Snow Leopard Retail with the files from the 10.6.7 guide because I wanted to use it as a USB.

My system:

AMD Phenom II x6 1055t (overclock to 3.8ghz)

Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3

8GB RAM

GTX 460 768mb

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, came across this thread looking for some help on my laptop it has a ati 3200hd graphic card. was wondering if the ati section on this guide would work with this card.

Iv tried to search on google ati ( name) one of the names in the list but it returns no useful info. what do i need to search for to find the name for this card.

thanks

is there a way to run this by booting off a usb drive instead of using a DVD? also, what if I have nvidia graphics? i'm using a GTS 250. Does the DVD have to be a 10.6.3 dvd as well, or will 10.6 work?

Anyone tried this on HP Pavilion dv7 1240us ?

the specs:

Product Name dv7-1240us

Product Number NB230UA#ABA

Microprocessor AMD Turion X2 RM-72 Dual-Core Mobile Processor

Microprocessor Cache 2.10 GHz

Memory 4096MB

Memory Max 8192MB

Video Graphics ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics RS780M

Video Memory Up to 1918MB

Hard Drive 320GB (5400RPM)

Multimedia Drive LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support

Display 17.0” Diagonal WXGA+ High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1440 x 900)

Network Card Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN

Wireless Connectivity

• 802.11a/b/g/n WLAN

Sound Altec Lansing speakers

Pointing Device Touch Pad with On/Off button and dedicated vertical scroll Up/Down pad

PC Card Slots1 ExpressCard/54 Slot (also supports ExpressCard/34)

External Ports

• 5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMedia cards, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, or xD Picture cards
  • 4 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0, 4th port shared with eSATA
  • 2 Headphone out
  • 1 microphone-in
  • HDMI
  • 1 VGA (15-pin)
  • eSATA + USB 2.0
  • 1 RJ-11 (modem)
  • 1 RJ -45 (LAN)
  • 1 notebook expansion port 3
  • 1 Consumer IR (Remote Receiver)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I've been meaning to try your guide for a long time, so finally I've got some time.

First my specs:

Motherboard: Asrock 870 Extreme

CPU: AMD 1055T

GPU: Sapphire Radeon 5770 1Gb

RAM: 4Gb Kingston Hyperx 1600mhz

HDD1: Crucial C300 64Gb (for win 7)

HDD2: Samsung T1 1000Gb (for data)

HDD3: Seagate ... 250Gb (for snow leopard)

I could write a while about what I've tried but I'm just gonna tell my problem. I've had this with many other guides I've tried before. Booting is no problem with the nawcom Bootcd.

I followed your guide until the 64-bit part. So I should be able to boot without any bootcd. TThe Only problem is: Still waiting for root device.

As you can see on the photos.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/41/p1000610y.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/813/p1000611c.jpg/

Any way to get around this? I've had this many times in the past and tried so many things but I just thought I'd ask it this time...

Thanks in advance

• 2 months later...

I followed this guide exactly except I had to use the modcd to install 10.6.3, but the install process worked.

My hardware is as follows:

Phenom II X6 1055t

880g chipset motherboard

8gb DDR3 1600

Radeon HD 5870

My problem is that no matter which kernel or boot flags I used I could never get the install to boot on its own.

If I follow your guide and boot with the parameters, busratio=18 and -v then I get a generic kernel ip panic.

What should I be doing differently?

I followed this guide exactly except I had to use the modcd to install 10.6.3, but the install process worked.

My hardware is as follows:

Phenom II X6 1055t

880g chipset motherboard

8gb DDR3 1600

Radeon HD 5870

My problem is that no matter which kernel or boot flags I used I could never get the install to boot on its own.

If I follow your guide and boot with the parameters, busratio=18 and -v then I get a generic kernel ip panic.

What should I be doing differently?

Just to confirm you're booting it with MODUSB/CD once you've installed it right? You're not supposed to be just booting into the install, because there might already be a preloaded bootloader, don't use that, boot back into ModUSB/CD and boot up the install drive.

That's strange, try booting up with:

rd(0,0)/extra/modbin_kernel arch=i386 maxmem=2048 busratio=18 -v

If that doesn't work, take a picture. Describe where it's getting stuck, verbose log etc? Does it turn into black screen? It will help identify problem.

is this possible to do with ModCD?

ModCD is indentical to ModUSB, so it should work ;)

I'm on Nvidia gpu. I don't have to follow the "Adding your Device-ID" part because it's for ATI cards, right?

Skip the Device-ID part, even some ATI cards who already have CI/QE won't need to add device-ID, but mine needed it to have CI/QE. I'm not sure about Nvidia cards, but they are normally working right ;)?

I'm not sure. My old 8400m gs worked fine on Leopard but in Snow not.

Tried with GraphicsEnabler, NVinjects... no luck (I followed 10.6.5 guide).

I will try your guide asap, thanks for that ;)

PS: Is there a simple guide for Kalyway AMD on Virtualbox (just for restoring Snow on the usb key)?

I'm not sure. My old 8400m gs worked fine on Leopard but in Snow not.

Tried with GraphicsEnabler, NVinjects... no luck (I followed 10.6.5 guide).

I will try your guide asap, thanks for that :D

PS: Is there a simple guide for Kalyway AMD on Virtualbox (just for restoring Snow on the usb key)?

I'll PM you :D