[AMD] 10.6.8 Guide - written by Devout

Devout

122 posts in this topic

Right now i am testing this in VMware before i insert it onto my blank 500GB hard drive, and i made a video of exactly what i did. see if you can tell what kind of errors i am getting.

http://www.mediafire.com/?em38a0vuu9lyz18

my specs are:

AMD Anthlon™ II X64 620 Processor with 2.61GHz (4 Cores and a free 500GB hard drive)

AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series Video card

M4A78T-E Motherboard

Thank you!

Right now i am testing this in VMware before i insert it onto my blank 500GB hard drive, and i made a video of exactly what i did. see if you can tell what kind of errors i am getting.

http://www.mediafire.com/?em38a0vuu9lyz18

my specs are:

AMD Anthlon™ II X64 620 Processor with 2.61GHz (4 Cores and a free 500GB hard drive)

AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series Video card

M4A78T-E Motherboard

Thank you!

I hate that line because it's not actually a bug, it should load in 5-10 minute after that line, it's normal. Keep carrying on, and I'll whisper you backup if that's not working. But yeah, it should carrying on loading. I see you're trying to set it up in VM first, but it's not always viable to see if it works there first using the same method as the method I used to install it on VM is different to the hardware install. Check your personal messages. for more information.

If I "restore" the disc to a USB drive, will it leave the files on the actual disc intact? I ask this because I'd like to try this with a friends installation DVD to make sure it works before I go and buy my own disc, and I don't want to ruin his disc in the process.

If I "restore" the disc to a USB drive, will it leave the files on the actual disc intact? I ask this because I'd like to try this with a friends installation DVD to make sure it works before I go and buy my own disc, and I don't want to ruin his disc in the process.

Ofcouse, you can't write files to the installation DVD anyway since it's read-only.

Ok, I went ahead and bought it anyway, it should be here in about 2 weeks (couldn't find it locally of course). Once that comes I should have all the stuff I need. I was wondering, how can I "restore" the disc to the USB drive w/out a Mac?

If you bought it it's even better. You can just download ModCD, burn that to a disc and use that instead of ModUSB. Just once you put ModCD in, when it reaches to a screen where you select different drives/CD's, take ModCD out and put the Snow Leopard disk in and then follow the guide as if normal :)

a.k.a you don't need to restore the disc image anymore :wacko:

Hello.

I installed MacOS 10.6.3 in Virtual Box (latest version) with the help of "OSX86_ModCD-032311-151021".

When i start to boot it says "Not an Intel platform: Restart fix not applied!". And when i shutdown/restart MacOS i get a kernel panic.

So how do i apply the restart fix?

http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=shutdow...elpanicg7yb.png

When I shutdown/restart in Virtualbox it always kernel panics for some reason. Not sure why, but it's always happened. I've not found any way of applying this restart fix, but it does get annoying. I've not used the OS in virtual box for a long period in time, so I can't really give you any help since this guide is a Retail install not a Virtual environment install, Sorry.

Hey, many thanks for the tutorial. I would appreciate some help of somebody. I restored my Retail disc to my USB drive. Installed MODUSB. When I tried to boot the USB drive, all I get is a little flashing thing in the corner after boot menu. Anyone know the reason why? And a possible fix?

Thanks

Did you install MODUSB ontop of the Retail disc restored USB drive? A signal on the left corner should blink for 15-30 seconds, before loading into boot.

Did you install MODUSB ontop of the Retail disc restored USB drive? A signal on the left corner should blink for 15-30 seconds, before loading into boot.

I'll outline my steps so it's easier for you to understand. :)

I restored DMG to USB with disk util. Then I installed the modUSB with my USB as target..

Thanks for the reply :)

EDIT: and the blinking lastest for ever :(

I followed this guide exactly except I had to use the modcd to install 10.6.3, but the install process worked.

My hardware is as follows:

Phenom II X6 1055t

880g chipset motherboard

8gb DDR3 1600

Radeon HD 5870

Once I reboot, I start off the Modcd again and start OS X from the hard drive with the commands

rd(0,0)/extra/modbin_kernel arch=i386 maxmem=2048 busratio=18 -v

I get partially started up only to stop at the line

BSD root: disk0s5, major 14, minor 5

any idea what that means, or what I need to do to fix it?

I followed this guide exactly except I had to use the modcd to install 10.6.3, but the install process worked.

Phenom II X6 1055t

880g chipset motherboard

8gb DDR3 1600

Radeon HD 5870

Once I reboot, I start off the Modcd again and start OS X from the hard drive with the commands

Not sure but maybe use bus ratio of your processor?

Hi there. I managed to get the Retail to boot. My steps. I downloaded Nawcom's ModCD. Burned it to CD. Restored the Retail DMG to Thumb Drive.

I booted the CD. Entered the boot flags with the Thumb Drive. It boots :)

But, When I make it through, after choosing Language, It says "there was a problem reading mac os x install dvd"

Any reason why?? thanks :)

Phenom II X6 1055t

880g chipset motherboard

8gb DDR3 1600

Radeon HD 5870

Never heard of this error before :S anymore of the log available?

Hi there. I managed to get the Retail to boot. My steps. I downloaded Nawcom's ModCD. Burned it to CD. Restored the Retail DMG to Thumb Drive.

I booted the CD. Entered the boot flags with the Thumb Drive. It boots :(

But, When I make it through, after choosing Language, It says "there was a problem reading mac os x install dvd"

Any reason why?? thanks :P

Maybe your restored CD was a bad restore, something happened, tried restoring again?

Maybe your restored CD was a bad restore, something happened, tried restoring again?

Restored twice. Formatted drive in GUID Partition and MBR. Also burnt to CD. Apparently, I only need a patched OSinstall.mpkg for MBR install. Since this is GUID I figured I don't need it? And other people have managed to install without.. This is really annoying! Been trying to get snow for so long. You're guide is brilliant though. Good work! a lot of other guides are much harder to understand..

EDIT: Could I do this with OS X version 10.6 rather than 10.6.3?

EDIT: I have a log which may help? ;)

Sep 26 04:24:24 localhost Unknown[78]: Launching the Language Chooser for an OS Install
Sep 26 04:24:54 localhost LCA[79]: Folder Manager is being asked to create a folder (cach) while running as uid 0
Sep 26 04:25:01 localhost configd[65]: subnet_route_if_index: can't get interface name
Sep 26 04:25:02 localhost LCA[79]: Launching the Installer using language code "English"
Sep 26 04:25:02 localhost OSInstaller[315]: Mac OS X Installer application started
Sep 26 04:25:02 localhost OSInstaller[315]: 1 display(s) found.
Sep 26 04:25:02 localhost OSInstaller[315]: Display[1] is NOT using OpenGL acceleration.
Sep 26 04:25:02 localhost OSInstaller[315]: @(#)PROGRAM:Install  PROJECT:Install-580
Sep 26 04:25:02 localhost OSInstaller[315]: @(#)PROGRAM:Mac OS X Installer  PROJECT:OSInstaller-262
Sep 26 04:25:02 localhost OSInstaller[315]: Hardware: OSX86Hack1,1 @ 3.01 GHz, 2048 MB RAM
Sep 26 04:25:02 localhost OSInstaller[315]: Running OS Build: Mac OS X 10.6.3 (10D575)
Sep 26 04:25:02 localhost OSInstaller[315]: Env: DYLD_NO_FIX_PREBINDING=1
Sep 26 04:25:02 localhost OSInstaller[315]: Env: PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
Sep 26 04:25:02 localhost OSInstaller[315]: Env: PWD=/
Sep 26 04:25:02 localhost OSInstaller[315]: Env: SHLVL=1
Sep 26 04:25:02 localhost OSInstaller[315]: Env: OS_INSTALL=1
Sep 26 04:25:02 localhost OSInstaller[315]: Env: _=/System/Installation/CDIS/LCA.app/Contents/MacOS/LCA
Sep 26 04:25:02 localhost OSInstaller[315]: Using install media product at /System/Installation/Packages
Sep 26 04:25:02 localhost OSInstaller[315]: Opening OSInstall package '/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg'.
Sep 26 04:25:02 localhost OSInstaller[315]: PFPackage::packageWithURL - can't instantiate package: /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg
Sep 26 04:25:02 localhost OSInstaller[315]: Couldn't verify Mac OS X (Server) Install media.
Sep 26 04:25:06 localhost OSInstaller[315]: Not loading AirPort MenuExtra because this machine does not have wireless networking available.
Sep 26 04:25:40 localhost Unknown[80]: 2011-09-26 04:25 Mac OS X Installer[315] (CarbonCore.framework) FSEventStreamStart: ERROR: FSEvents_connect() => Unknown service name (1102)
Sep 26 04:25:42 localhost OSInstaller[315]: NetworkBrowser failed to launch "/usr/bin/nmblookup" (No such file or directory)
Sep 26 04:25:43 localhost Unknown[80]: Mon Sep 26 04:25:43 localhost Mac OS X Installer[315] <Error>: MIG: wrong reply message ID: CGSReenableUpdateForConnections: Failed
Sep 26 04:25:43 localhost Unknown[80]: Mon Sep 26 04:25:43 localhost Mac OS X Installer[315] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
Sep 26 04:25:43 localhost Unknown[80]: 2011-09-26 04:25:43.094 Mac OS X Installer[315:903] CGSReenableUpdate returned error -301

Restored twice. Formatted drive in GUID Partition and MBR. Also burnt to CD. Apparently, I only need a patched OSinstall.mpkg for MBR install. Since this is GUID I figured I don't need it? And other people have managed to install without.. This is really annoying! Been trying to get snow for so long. You're guide is brilliant though. Good work! a lot of other guides are much harder to understand..

EDIT: Could I do this with OS X version 10.6 rather than 10.6.3?

EDIT: I have a log which may help? :)

Sep 26 04:24:24 localhost Unknown[78]: Launching the Language Chooser for an OS Install
Sep 26 04:24:54 localhost LCA[79]: Folder Manager is being asked to create a folder (cach) while running as uid 0
Sep 26 04:25:01 localhost configd[65]: subnet_route_if_index: can't get interface name
Sep 26 04:25:02 localhost LCA[79]: Launching the Installer using language code "English"
Sep 26 04:25:02 localhost OSInstaller[315]: Mac OS X Installer application started
Sep 26 04:25:02 localhost OSInstaller[315]: 1 display(s) found.
Sep 26 04:25:02 localhost OSInstaller[315]: Display[1] is NOT using OpenGL acceleration.
Sep 26 04:25:02 localhost OSInstaller[315]: @(#)PROGRAM:Install  PROJECT:Install-580
Sep 26 04:25:02 localhost OSInstaller[315]: @(#)PROGRAM:Mac OS X Installer  PROJECT:OSInstaller-262
Sep 26 04:25:02 localhost OSInstaller[315]: Hardware: OSX86Hack1,1 @ 3.01 GHz, 2048 MB RAM
Sep 26 04:25:02 localhost OSInstaller[315]: Running OS Build: Mac OS X 10.6.3 (10D575)
Sep 26 04:25:02 localhost OSInstaller[315]: Env: DYLD_NO_FIX_PREBINDING=1
Sep 26 04:25:02 localhost OSInstaller[315]: Env: PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
Sep 26 04:25:02 localhost OSInstaller[315]: Env: PWD=/
Sep 26 04:25:02 localhost OSInstaller[315]: Env: SHLVL=1
Sep 26 04:25:02 localhost OSInstaller[315]: Env: OS_INSTALL=1
Sep 26 04:25:02 localhost OSInstaller[315]: Env: _=/System/Installation/CDIS/LCA.app/Contents/MacOS/LCA
Sep 26 04:25:02 localhost OSInstaller[315]: Using install media product at /System/Installation/Packages
Sep 26 04:25:02 localhost OSInstaller[315]: Opening OSInstall package '/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg'.
Sep 26 04:25:02 localhost OSInstaller[315]: PFPackage::packageWithURL - can't instantiate package: /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg
Sep 26 04:25:02 localhost OSInstaller[315]: Couldn't verify Mac OS X (Server) Install media.
Sep 26 04:25:06 localhost OSInstaller[315]: Not loading AirPort MenuExtra because this machine does not have wireless networking available.
Sep 26 04:25:40 localhost Unknown[80]: 2011-09-26 04:25 Mac OS X Installer[315] (CarbonCore.framework) FSEventStreamStart: ERROR: FSEvents_connect() => Unknown service name (1102)
Sep 26 04:25:42 localhost OSInstaller[315]: NetworkBrowser failed to launch "/usr/bin/nmblookup" (No such file or directory)
Sep 26 04:25:43 localhost Unknown[80]: Mon Sep 26 04:25:43 localhost Mac OS X Installer[315] <Error>: MIG: wrong reply message ID: CGSReenableUpdateForConnections: Failed
Sep 26 04:25:43 localhost Unknown[80]: Mon Sep 26 04:25:43 localhost Mac OS X Installer[315] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
Sep 26 04:25:43 localhost Unknown[80]: 2011-09-26 04:25:43.094 Mac OS X Installer[315:903] CGSReenableUpdate returned error -301

Where did you get this DMG?

Where did you get this DMG?

Downloaded it. I have re-downloaded it again aswell but still didn't work. Other people commented on the download to say it worked and things.. Is there a certain build I need?

Many thanks for the reply.

EDIT: You think if I bought a retail copy it'll work? I seem to be the only one with this certain problem. Also, You on any IRC? Might make it easier. Cheers

Downloaded it. I have re-downloaded it again aswell but still didn't work. Other people commented on the download to say it worked and things.. Is there a certain build I need?

Many thanks for the reply.

EDIT: You think if I bought a retail copy it'll work? I seem to be the only one with this certain problem. Also, You on any IRC? Might make it easier. Cheers

Message me, maybe I can get you on Skype :)

What this basically means is that I can only boot using the modcd. If I start off the modcd and then simply select my drive it boots fine in some sort of safe mode. If i try to boot off the hard drive using any combination of commands not using Modcd, I get strange errors. Most of these errors result in the lines of white text produced by -v to scroll by for a few seconds and then the computer shuts it's self off, so its impossible to see any error messages....

Any tips?

What this basically means is that I can only boot using the modcd. If I start off the modcd and then simply select my drive it boots fine in some sort of safe mode. If i try to boot off the hard drive using any combination of commands not using Modcd, I get strange errors. Most of these errors result in the lines of white text produced by -v to scroll by for a few seconds and then the computer shuts it's self off, so its impossible to see any error messages....

Any tips?

Try booting without the commands and see what happens. If it doesnt work, try re-installing and on the first boot up, install the 10.6.8 update + kernal + [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] with the OPs selections. It works like a charm for me using modcd.

Specs:

CPU: Phenom II X4 B55 (hidden cores unlocked)

Mobo: Asus M4A88T-V EVO/USB 3

Ram: 4GB

graphcis: Ati 5770

Thanks for a very helpful tut OP! :censored2:

Any tips?

Sounds like you're booting off the hard drive pre-maturally. Once you got everything running download [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and then install that with Chimera bootloader and it'll work :-). The one that is installed automatically when you follow the guide doesn't boot up with more work, I'll add it to the guide soon :D

Try booting without the commands and see what happens. If it doesnt work, try re-installing and on the first boot up, install the 10.6.8 update + kernal + [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] with the OPs selections. It works like a charm for me using modcd.

Specs:

CPU: Phenom II X4 B55 (hidden cores unlocked)

Mobo: Asus M4A88T-V EVO/USB 3

Ram: 4GB

graphcis: Ati 5770

Thanks for a very helpful tut OP! :)

You're welcome your specs are very much same as mine, and glad it worked without a charm, read the above to learn how to install a proper bootloader.