[Guide] Installing Apple Bluetooth Module in your Hackintosh

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 918 posts
If you have the driver for bluetooth installed in windows it switches your adapter to HCI mode and breaks tge native RF-like pairing thosr keyboard stops working at bios level .... until you completely cut power to your PC, which will reinitiate the adapter in HID mode and allow you to regain this functionality.<br />

CodF4ther

CodF4ther

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
My setup is Mountain Lion only, there's no Linux or Windows on the box at all. The system will wake on Bluetooth and it works perfectly once booted, but the keyboard will only randomly work in the BIOS, but there's no perceivable pattern to it. I have the A1181 wired to one arm of a 9 pin USB header (with a 5V->3.3V step down board in-line).

lolo69100

lolo69100

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,

I did this mod, using:
- an apple bluetooth module (for macbook 13" core duo)
- an audio usb 4 pins connector supplied with motherboard (gigabyte)
- a 3,3v dc convertor like this one:ld1117 series
- soldering iron...

Here is the result, working perfectly with magic mouse and keyboard:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

I now need to insulate my wires :)
I highly advise you check your mobo manual to see how your usb is wired.

todesto

todesto

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:golf<br />computer<br />hacking<br />movie<br />Deep Purple, Led...
Bluetooth not waking up is fixed by patching my DSDT.

BTY, apple BT mod is well worth is as now I can wake my computer using mouse, trackpad, keyboard, whatever.

xameleon

xameleon

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Bluetooth not waking up is fixed by patching my DSDT.

BTY, apple BT mod is well worth is as now I can wake my computer using mouse, trackpad, keyboard, whatever.

can you use the bluetooth keyboard on bios?

lolo69100

lolo69100

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

can you use the bluetooth keyboard on bios?

If you have a motherboard that uses UEFI type bios (eg: gigabyte H61M-DS2 rev 2.2), YES :), you just have to strike F12 key and enter setup.

You can not do that (I tried) with a bluetooth dongle (e.g.: TARGUS), so this is an other good reason to go for this mod.

wlsn.chrs

wlsn.chrs

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Has anyone been able to get this hack to work at POST, so either to bring up the BIOS or enter the settings option in the bootloader (I don't believe this is a key press issue for me since chameleon will repond to any key press, not just f12)? My Apple BT Aluminum Keyboard works great in OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2) and Windows 7, but in the pre-boot environment I am forced to use a wired USB keyboard to enter the bios or change boot options in Chameleon. I'm curious if anyone has overcome this challenge.

Also, with regards to Error 10 in the Device Manager in windows, install the Apple bluetooth driver or updating the driver via the "Update Driver" button under the device properties tab will fix the issue.

------------------------------------
Mother Board: P8Z68-V Pro
Processor: i7
Custom DSDT: Yes

gothic860

gothic860

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Thank you for the guide its working perfect here.

http://www.ebay.de/i...#ht_1176wt_1026 (german ebay)

+

http://www.ebay.de/i...984.m1497.l2649

VirusX

VirusX

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Thanks a lot for your guide. I haven't tried any bluetooth devices yet, but it seems to work (bluetooth shows up etc)

I used the following items from the German ebay:
http://www.ebay.de/i...984.m1497.l2649
http://www.ebay.de/i...#ht_1362wt_1141

Therfd

Therfd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Why are all using this overpriced DC/DC Converters? If i'm right 2 Zener Diodes would do the same cheaper, smaller, with an smaller power consumption and better (for example 1N4728A, on ebay they cost 3€ including worldwide shipping for 50pcs...) because it prevents the Bluetooth Controller from the 5 Volt D+ Signal...

philip_petev

philip_petev

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Hi guys
I bought one of these adaptors recently, but it came without USB cable. The adaptor looks exactly like the one on this picture:

Posted Image

Can you tell me where I can find a cable for it? Thanks in advance.

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 918 posts
eBay is always your best bet for this king of things, tere are plenty of 820-1829-A modules for as cheap as 8$ including the cable and antennae... not sure how you ended up with a bare module.

philip_petev

philip_petev

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

eBay is always your best bet for this king of things, tere are plenty of 820-1829-A modules for as cheap as 8$ including the cable and antennae... not sure how you ended up with a bare module.

I know, I got it from there and now I want to buy a cable for it, but I'm not sure which one is compatible. There are several cables for Apple Bluetooth modules in eBay.

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 918 posts

I know, I got it from there and now I want to buy a cable for it, but I'm not sure which one is compatible. There are several cables for Apple Bluetooth modules in eBay.

It will cost you as much as cable with a module already, or even more. Not worth it...

philip_petev

philip_petev

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

It will cost you as much as cable with a module already, or even more. Not worth it...

Yeah, probably you're right. I'll just order another one...

alienbiker99

alienbiker99

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
just want to say thanks for this tutorial, got one wired up through a usb cable for now but I'm going to attach it internally soon. I have an extra module like hte one posted above without a cable but with an antenna, any pinouts to solder to to make it work?

cj737271

cj737271

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
For those interested we are now selling two types of preassembled Bluetooth boards on eBay (internal and external) as well as offering international shipping on both.

The internals are available here and connect via the internal USB header.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271179517460

The externals are available here as Bluetooth dongles and connect via any open USB port.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271182985823

BALDY_MAN

BALDY_MAN

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Too expensive. i bought the usb dongle type.
ages ago for about £4 off Ebay. and made up my internal one for about £12 and a hours work with pigtail and wi fi antenna

CJP2

CJP2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Agreed, Baldy. Shouldn't cost anyone more than $15 tops to come up with the same (functional) solution and it's far easier than most other things to accomplish on the software side of the hack. Someone's always looking to make a buck though...

Kosta88

Kosta88

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I posted in another thread/forum, however then I found this one, so asking for help here too (mods, if you wish, delete the other one in the peripherals forum):

We got any electrical engineers here?

:)

I am definitely not one, and trying to not to damage my BT dongle.

I got myself an original Apple Bluetooth dongle, A1114, complete with an antenna and a connector.

So I have to reduce the voltage from 5V to 3,3V.

For that I bought a simple voltage regulator. TO-220,

https://www.sparkfun...s/LD1117V33.pdf

According to the guy in the shop this should do just nice regulating 5V down to 3,3V on the USB port.

My questions:

Do I have to put anything else around the voltage regulator, or would it be enough to connect the input/output (left/right connector) to the corresponding wires giving power on the USB connector and the Apple Module, and just connect both ground to the middle pin?

I also read I could drop the 3,3V from the PSU, since the orange wire provides 3,3V, however some say it might be unstable or not good for the dongle. Correct?? I mean, I do have a very good PSU, Corsair HX750.

Hi,

I did this mod, using:
- an apple bluetooth module (for macbook 13" core duo)
- an audio usb 4 pins connector supplied with motherboard (gigabyte)
- a 3,3v dc convertor like this one:ld1117 series
- soldering iron...

Here is the result, working perfectly with magic mouse and keyboard:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

I now need to insulate my wires :)
I highly advise you check your mobo manual to see how your usb is wired.

Hi,

Could you maybe make a connection list, what is on the connector what (what wire color is what) and connected to what on the Apple Module? That would help a little to the newb like me...
What is this connector you are using, is this same as a standard USB header cable motherboard connector?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy