[Guide] Installing Apple Bluetooth Module in your Hackintosh

Swhay

106 posts in this topic

just want to say thanks for this tutorial, got one wired up through a usb cable for now but I'm going to attach it internally soon. I have an extra module like hte one posted above without a cable but with an antenna, any pinouts to solder to to make it work?

For those interested we are now selling two types of preassembled Bluetooth boards on eBay (internal and external) as well as offering international shipping on both.

The internals are available here and connect via the internal USB header.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271179517460

The externals are available here as Bluetooth dongles and connect via any open USB port.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271182985823

Agreed, Baldy. Shouldn't cost anyone more than $15 tops to come up with the same (functional) solution and it's far easier than most other things to accomplish on the software side of the hack. Someone's always looking to make a buck though...

• 3 weeks later...

I posted in another thread/forum, however then I found this one, so asking for help here too (mods, if you wish, delete the other one in the peripherals forum):

We got any electrical engineers here?

:)

I am definitely not one, and trying to not to damage my BT dongle.

I got myself an original Apple Bluetooth dongle, A1114, complete with an antenna and a connector.

So I have to reduce the voltage from 5V to 3,3V.

For that I bought a simple voltage regulator. TO-220,

https://www.sparkfun...s/LD1117V33.pdf

According to the guy in the shop this should do just nice regulating 5V down to 3,3V on the USB port.

My questions:

Do I have to put anything else around the voltage regulator, or would it be enough to connect the input/output (left/right connector) to the corresponding wires giving power on the USB connector and the Apple Module, and just connect both ground to the middle pin?

I also read I could drop the 3,3V from the PSU, since the orange wire provides 3,3V, however some say it might be unstable or not good for the dongle. Correct?? I mean, I do have a very good PSU, Corsair HX750.

Hi,

I did this mod, using:

- an apple bluetooth module (for macbook 13" core duo)

- an audio usb 4 pins connector supplied with motherboard (gigabyte)

- a 3,3v dc convertor like this one:ld1117 series

- soldering iron...

Here is the result, working perfectly with magic mouse and keyboard:

dsc00334v.jpg

dsc00341cr.jpg

dsc00338hm.jpg

sanstitrezdz.png

I now need to insulate my wires :)

I highly advise you check your mobo manual to see how your usb is wired.

Hi,

Could you maybe make a connection list, what is on the connector what (what wire color is what) and connected to what on the Apple Module? That would help a little to the newb like me...

What is this connector you are using, is this same as a standard USB header cable motherboard connector?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys

I bought one of these adaptors recently, but it came without USB cable. The adaptor looks exactly like the one on this picture:

!BcKUSOwBmk~$(KGrHqQH-E!Eque2ByyhBKzQ-kn

Can you tell me where I can find a cable for it? Thanks in advance.

I cut the top off the white plastic cap on mine to get direct access to the pins and soldered my USB wires on there.  For the power I used the solder pads on the chip to attach wires (the 3.3V and GND pads are clearly labelled).  You could probably figure out which pads are for the USB cables, but I couldn't find a pin-out diagram.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

sorry maybe coming a bit late.... there is the diagrame pin-out...  

USB_BT.png

BlueTooth Green wire on USB White wire

BlueTooth Yellow wire on USB Green wire

on page 2 you'll find a tuto for how to connect on the USB with a converter 5V -> 3.3V, but If you know what you do, you can connect  the red to 3.3V on the ORANGE/VIOLET on the 24pin PSU and the black on the COM (ground)

ATX.png

and it will work perfectly...

it's working fine on OS X 10.9 (DP5) and windows 8... was using a USB dongle and when restarting on one or the other system i couldn't use my magic mouse now it works perfectely on both system.

EDIT :

the only little thing i noticed right after is that when going to sleep, it wakes right after... so no sleep :(

the only little thing i noticed right after is that when going to sleep, it wakes right after... so no sleep :(

This has been reported numerous times. That's why you never splice to the molex/power supply +3.3V rail ... only sourcing 5V from USB and stepping it down to 3.3 works flawlessly. 

This has been reported numerous times. That's why you never splice to the molex/power supply +3.3V rail ... only sourcing 5V from USB and stepping it down to 3.3 works flawlessly. 

sorry didn't read all the posts about it... and was just thinking it could work.. 

Hi can anyone help with instructions on how to use a 5v-3.3v converter? I will be using the logic level converter from sparkfun since its the only device that's available here in the Philippines. Will this work? Which wires on the USB header do I use for power?

Here is the link to the device

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8745

Yeah it will work just fine. But can't you just buy a TS1117CW-3.3 and a pair of 10uF caps? At least here it will cost you like 0.5£ total.

http://puu.sh/1bCQP

http://puu.sh/1ckK1

Hi all,

with this kind of solution (broadcom module from iMac and a 5 to 3,3v converter), i have a functional bluetooth on 10.8.4 by clover.

But there's a problem when my magic mouse wakes the machine (by click) : i get a dark lock screen until i force wake by a key stroke.

After this, bluetooth is down (see console below) until the automatic reset of the module.

If i wake by keyboard, no problem at all : bluetooth and mouse are here directly.

console log :

12/08/13 01:41:29,000 kernel[0]: The USB device BRCM2046 Hub (Port 2 of Hub at 0x1d000000) may have caused a wake by issuing a remote wakeup (2)
12/08/13 01:41:29,000 kernel[0]: [AppleBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport][ClearFeatureInterruptEndpointHalt] -- ClearPipeStall returned e00002ed
12/08/13 01:41:29,000 kernel[0]: E:[AppleBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport][AppleBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport::StartBulkPipeRead] ClearPipeStall failed with error 0xe00002ed.
12/08/13 01:41:29,000 kernel[0]: E:[AppleBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport]WARNING !!!! [AppleBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport::DeviceRequestCompleteHandler] error 0xe00002ed (kIOReturnNotResponding)
12/08/13 01:41:29,000 kernel[0]: E:[AppleBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport][AppleBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport::BulkInReadHandler] Received kIOReturnNotResponding error - retrying: 1.
12/08/13 01:41:29,000 kernel[0]: [AppleBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport::ClearFeatureBulkEndpointHalt] DeviceRequest failed 0xE00002ED.

I've read that this appears with a faulty NVRAM on real macs.
I've deleted NVRAM (nvram.plist and nvram -c), still got the problem.

am I the only one with this trouble on original apple bluetooth?
I digged in DSDT and changed my previous cambridge radio modulea(1181) for a Broadcom, only gained the auto reset after forced wake by keyboard.

ps : already posted this in clover thread, it was a mistake cause i don't think there's something to do with the bootloader.

• 4 weeks later...

Should work oob in HID mode, install drivers from bootcamp to get HCI support.

Which ones? I've tried multiple different ones.

Which windows Bluetooth stack should I use?

Thanks

Hey guys,

is there a hint to get the apple bluetooth module with org. Apple driver working under Win7?

I've got only a "Generic Bluetooth Radio" in the "Device Manager" but can't update the driver from the bootcamp package.

The drivers for the apple keyboard and magic mouse wouldn't work.

Thanks in advance.

p.s. in Mac OS X it works like a charme except after the wakeup it takes a half minute to get a connection : \

• 3 months later...

Hey Guys, did everything as stated in the post. I got 3.3v out instead of 3 but that shouldn't cause a problem. Anyway I tried this on Mountain Lion and Windows 7. On ML I can't find Bluetooth anywhere in system preferences and in Win 7 It comes up as a generic keyboard. How to I fix this, and where is Bluetooth located in ML system preferences? Any Help is appreciated because I have a magic mouse and trackpad coming in a few days and I would really like to use them

EDIT: Found Bluetooth in System Preferences and I tried scanning for devices and it didn't find any... I have my iPad set as discoverable. I walked away for about 1 minute and when I get back the button to turn bluetooth on was grayed out and it said no bluetooth hardware was found

EDIT: It actually comes up as USB composite device. Do I need drivers? I cant get them from bootcamp because I am using 2 separate pc's. One has mac one has windows, neither of them seem to be working correctly. I checked all the cables and connections and everything seems to be right

• 1 month later...

guys i dint see this post but i connected macbook A1181 module directly to my usb of my hack but it dint connected to my pc.. so i searched and found this thread.. :( i dint use any regulator do u guys think that my module is okay or dead?? any suggestions guys im going to buy 3.3 converter tomo... what do u think will it work?

Additional info: it was cool, no heat and i only connected about a minute , restart connect, restart connect, thats it nothing more... :P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone, 

I recently built my hackintosh and I plugged in the Apple bluetooth module (from a 2007 MacBook Pro, "A1226", "820-1829-A 631-0305") I bought on eBay. I used two diodes to drop the voltage and I tested it by plugging it into various Macs (even the 1999 PowerMac G4 let me use my Magic Mouse). It worked just fine (as expected) in the hackintosh under Mac OS X, but it would show up as a composite USB device in Windows (8.1 Pro, x64), which meant my Magic Mouse would work (two buttons) but scrolling wouldn't.
I found lots of posts on multiple forums by people with the same problem, but there were never any solutions. Everyone just said to install the latest Boot Camp drivers. I did, but it didn't sort out the bluetooth (HFS and the function buttons are very handy though).
Then I came across this support article from Parallels about getting bluetooth to work in a Windows VM: http://kb.parallels.com/en/5962. It references an Apple driver installer called AppleBluetoothEnablerInstaller.exe which I had yet to come across. But the article also mentions an OS X installation disc, and that's when I finally recalled that quite a few Mac install discs included a Windows partition for Boot Camp Drivers and CD/DVD sharing. While I didn't have the install disc for the specific model MacBook Pro that donated my bluetooth module, I did have a copy of the Snow Leopard install DVD and I decided to try that. Low and behold, in \Boot Camp\Drivers\Apple\ there were the installers I was looking for. Because my Windows installation is 64-bit (aren't they all these days) I ran AppleBluetoothEnablerInstaller.exe and then AppleBluetoothInstaller.exe from the x64 directory, following the order from the Parallels article. Windows recognised the module and installed everything correctly. I had already installed the Multi Touch mouse driver, so scroll started working right away.  
So the moral of the story is that Apple doesn't support older modules with the latest drivers (duh?). And either no one has solved this problem up till now, or I'm the first to actually bother to write it down.

Hope this helped someone.

Edit: I was too quick to rejoice, I also had to follow this guide: http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/bluetooth-mouse-losing-connection-no-more/. The mouse was constantly connected, but it would seem to go to sleep. This quide resolved everything. Except it was the Apple Built-in Bluetooth device that needed it's power management settings altered, not the device itself.

• Like 1

Hi everyone, 

I recently built my hackintosh and I plugged in the Apple bluetooth module (from a 2007 MacBook Pro, "A1226", "820-1829-A 631-0305") I bought on eBay. I used two diodes to drop the voltage and I tested it by plugging it into various Macs (even the 1999 PowerMac G4 let me use my Magic Mouse). It worked just fine (as expected) in the hackintosh under Mac OS X, but it would show up as a composite USB device in Windows (8.1 Pro, x64), which meant my Magic Mouse would work (two buttons) but scrolling wouldn't.

I found lots of posts on multiple forums by people with the same problem, but there were never any solutions. Everyone just said to install the latest Boot Camp drivers. I did, but it didn't sort out the bluetooth (HFS and the function buttons are very handy though).

Then I came across this support article from Parallels about getting bluetooth to work in a Windows VM: http://kb.parallels.com/en/5962. It references an Apple driver installer called AppleBluetoothEnablerInstaller.exe which I had yet to come across. But the article also mentions an OS X installation disc, and that's when I finally recalled that quite a few Mac install discs included a Windows partition for Boot Camp Drivers and CD/DVD sharing. While I didn't have the install disc for the specific model MacBook Pro that donated my bluetooth module, I did have a copy of the Snow Leopard install DVD and I decided to try that. Low and behold, in \Boot Camp\Drivers\Apple\ there were the installers I was looking for. Because my Windows installation is 64-bit (aren't they all these days) I ran AppleBluetoothEnablerInstaller.exe and then AppleBluetoothInstaller.exe from the x64 directory, following the order from the Parallels article. Windows recognised the module and installed everything correctly. I had already installed the Multi Touch mouse driver, so scroll started working right away.  

So the moral of the story is that Apple doesn't support older modules with the latest drivers (duh?). And either no one has solved this problem up till now, or I'm the first to actually bother to write it down.

Hope this helped someone.

Hi computergek80,

I've got the same apple bluetooth module as yours with the two diodes just like you, but i've got the magic trackpad. On Mavericks it works like charm. But on windows, I'm starting to get nutty.

At first with a fresh windows 8.1 install, the trackpad works is detected as composite USB device as your mouse . So I can just have the left click, but no scrolling and no right click. So I have tried the parallels trick you founded. 

Now, it doesn't work at all, I can't even hook the trackpad to the bluetooth module. Have you tried the magic trackpad on your computer ? If so, please :help:  let me know from the ground what did you do to get all this to work ... maybe i've missed something  :wallbash:

Hi computergek80,

I've got the same apple bluetooth module as yours with the two diodes just like you, but i've got the magic trackpad. On Mavericks it works like charm. But on windows, I'm starting to get nutty.

At first with a fresh windows 8.1 install, the trackpad works is detected as composite USB device as your mouse . So I can just have the left click, but no scrolling and no right click. So I have tried the parallels trick you founded. 

Now, it doesn't work at all, I can't even hook the trackpad to the bluetooth module. Have you tried the magic trackpad on your computer ? If so, please :help:  let me know from the ground what did you do to get all this to work ... maybe i've missed something  :wallbash:

I was still having problems with the Magic Mouse. It would keep going to sleep, needing to be clicked to continue working. I added to my post. See if that helps.

I'll have to see about borrowing a Magic trackpad. I'll get back to you.

• 2 months later...

I was still having problems with the Magic Mouse. It would keep going to sleep, needing to be clicked to continue working. I added to my post. See if that helps.

I'll have to see about borrowing a Magic trackpad. I'll get back to you.

Hey computergek80 ?

Did you tried the Magic Trackpad ? Is it success ? Thanks for your answer

• 4 weeks later...