[Guide] Mammoth Method v2.00 - HP DVx 10.6.x: Fast, Easy, Comprehensive Installation. /// NEW MAMMOTH BOOT CD for i5 & i3 \\\

Mammoth

1,567 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

As stated in my signature, I have a DV6 3030tx and the specs are below.

I have attempted to install OSX via the 1.15a boot disc and also via the 2.00 USB method mentioned in the guide but am unable to get beyond the chameleon screen. I select the Snow Leopard install and it just reboots after running some scripts. I did notice it saying that my bios was not recognized or something. Himura84 seems to be having the same issue that I have as well and he runs a DV6 too.. so hmm...

I currently run Insyde F.23 as it is the latest one for me. I am afraid to install Insyde F.25 as I am unsure of it's compatibility with my laptop.

Also, I am able to install 10.6.3 okay with Nawcom's boot CD. So yeah.. not sure what's going on here.

P.S. Appreciate the effort that Mammoth as well as all the names of people listed in the guides for making this guide happen.

I haven't been able to get to the install. I think it might have something to do with the cstates in the bootlist.

I had mald0n make a dsdt for me. (Thanks again!!!). and I successfully booted with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]/[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and loaded it from there. Mald0n told me to enable pstates and cstates but in the bootlist from the MIIF there are a few more cstate flags that I think may be the issue.

I will test and let everyone know. ;)

I really want to do this with your method but us "i5" users are having some troubles.

Also is there anyway to force a resolution for those of us that only have the intel hd graphics? My dv6-2170us does not have any other graphics in it.

Thanks and keep rocking it mammoth.

i can supply my auto-patched dsdt for anyone here, i used windows to pull it then used nixin auto patcher to compile it, sound and qe/ci is working it seems to run pretty cool with everything running fine as far as i can tell!!

DSDT.zip

dv7 i7-720qm GT320M F.1C A bios

for the sound, did you need any kexts? or standard apple from the DVD?

i had patched my DSDT , but i think i have some conflicting kexts here.

No sources for 10.6.7 :)

use a boots of meklort :D

Boot

Wait a little while :)

so long boots in x32 :P

But in com.apple.Boot.plist :

<key>DropSSDT</key>
	  <string>Yes</string>
	  <key>EnableC2State</key>
	  <string>Yes</string>
	  <key>EnableC3State</key>
	  <string>No</string>
	  <key>EnableC4State</key>
	  <string>Yes</string>
	  <key>GenerateCStates</key>
	  <string>Yes</string>
	  <key>GeneratePStates</key>
	  <string>Yes</string>

@Taptun

I got an error when trying to boot to my windows 7 partition after finishing installing

error was : BOOTMGR is missing

can I fix this somehow without having to reinstall it ?

you can try to insert a windows boot disk and have it try to repair, otherwise there is some command line trickery that you can do but im not sure of it, you should be able to find it in google however, just search for fix bootmgr command line or something!!

hi mammoth, great work!

i'm going to test it on my dv6-2160el, but i've got a little problem, i've "obtained" my mac osx retail dvd in the .iso format and in ubuntu i can't find anything to convert it in dmg, would it be the same use the iso one?

There were scripts that needed to be run and didn't, so I would do a clean install now, rather than later. I know it's kind of a pain, put you will know for sure then that your install was perfect.

Install my system with latest MIIF :thumbsup_anim:

My second drive with W7 boots fine :)

So fare is all good except my card reader. But have not checking everything, but my MAC is running so goood.

EDIT

Is it safe to install Chameleon pref pane ?

EDIT2

Now I heard the popping sound several times, is there any fix for that ?

//Peter

Hey everyone,

I've been very busy and I'm going to be out all day today too. I hope to be able to get back and do some work here tomorrow.

Hi guys,

As stated in my signature, I have a DV6 3030tx and the specs are below.

I have attempted to install OSX via the 1.15a boot disc and also via the 2.00 USB method mentioned in the guide but am unable to get beyond the chameleon screen. I select the Snow Leopard install and it just reboots after running some scripts. I did notice it saying that my bios was not recognized or something. Himura84 seems to be having the same issue that I have as well and he runs a DV6 too.. so hmm...

I currently run Insyde F.23 as it is the latest one for me. I am afraid to install Insyde F.25 as I am unsure of it's compatibility with my laptop.

Also, I am able to install 10.6.3 okay with Nawcom's boot CD. So yeah.. not sure what's going on here.

P.S. Appreciate the effort that Mammoth as well as all the names of people listed in the guides for making this guide happen.

You can only use BIOS designed for your machine, so if newest for you is F.23 that's the best.

Post a link to the Nawcom CD download and I'll take a look at it.

I haven't been able to get to the install. I think it might have something to do with the cstates in the bootlist.

I had mald0n make a dsdt for me. (Thanks again!!!). and I successfully booted with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]/[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and loaded it from there. Mald0n told me to enable pstates and cstates but in the bootlist from the MIIF there are a few more cstate flags that I think may be the issue.

I will test and let everyone know. :(

I really want to do this with your method but us "i5" users are having some troubles.

Also is there anyway to force a resolution for those of us that only have the intel hd graphics? My dv6-2170us does not have any other graphics in it.

Thanks and keep rocking it mammoth.

Be sure to post your DSDT MaLd0n created for you here. :)

The i5s for some reason have been tricky; we just need to figure them out.

For the video, try to set GraphicsEnabler=Yes in the com.apple.Boot.plist

I generated DSDT by auto-patcher provided. Then I put that in the Dvxt miif and install osx. Everything is good, except that there is no sound. Please help me

P/S: my sound card is IDT

That's great news!

Yes, we will work on getting sound working for you now.

I got an error when trying to boot to my windows 7 partition after finishing installing

error was : BOOTMGR is missing

can I fix this somehow without having to reinstall it ?

There is instructions in the guides for how to fix that. I think it's in the Windows 7 guide. Basically you just reinstall Chameleon again and it should come back.

hi mammoth, great work!

i'm going to test it on my dv6-2160el, but i've got a little problem, i've "obtained" my mac osx retail dvd in the .iso format and in ubuntu i can't find anything to convert it in dmg, would it be the same use the iso one?

You don't use Ubuntu for that. ;)

You can open the .ISO directly from Disk Utility either in OS X or in the OS X Installer, then create the .DMG of it.

;)

Install my system with latest MIIF ;)

My second drive with W7 boots fine :D

So fare is all good except my card reader. But have not checking everything, but my MAC is running so goood.

EDIT

Is it safe to install Chameleon pref pane ?

EDIT2

Now I heard the popping sound several times, is there any fix for that ?

//Peter

Awesome news Peter_sm, congrats!! :)

Card reader may not be possible to get working. Yes, you can install the Chameleon Pref.

You shouldn't here popping if set to: MacPro3,1

If you do, we'll have to look at that.

@Mammoth, for my laptop i have to use Ubuntu?? :S im very noob here

thanks

Read the guides.... all of them. ;)

i also have heard some popping from my system as well, also mammoth i noticed that somehow my system updated to 10.6.7 probably when i updated itunes im assuming that was the reason for my trackpad glitches? does anyone here have two finger scrolling working, im in the process of editing my bios for a new wireless card so i can stop tethering with my evo for internet!! Just for reference im using an intel 4965agn card that i had laying in a parts computer from what ived read its supported natively in osx after 10.6.3 so ill let you know how it goes!

**EDIT

I just started to do my bios and i do not have a .fd file in my temp folder or when i use winrar to open up the file. I have to .bin files. When i run insyde bios flasher it says i currently have 365c the two bin files i have are 363cf1c or 3658f1c, going to open them both up and take a look but not sure what is going on here.. ill take a look around the internet as well to see what i can come up with!

hi mammoth

hi all

i have a big and weird problem as i am not expert i am asking you to help me if you know what is it about

okay every thing going okay when installing with the method until i install protools le 8 or hd 9 then when restarting i got kb not booting until i use -f when booting and of course many things as usb device not working when i am booting with -f tried many time to pfix and repair permission restart no way i installed from scratch 3 times with the same result when installing protools

here is the kb pic if someone can help me figure how can i solve it

thanx all

7b387b7b7bc8a5f32d3aa26a4a13c647.JPG

i tried to whitelist my bios following your guide and it still says unsupported card detected please remove and restart. I also searched and there are multiple instances of 84C075 (well at least 2 anyways) im assuming you are wanting us to edit the first occurence. I was able to rename my bin files to fd and ezh20 didnt complain about anything, i also patched the boot image in the bios and that is working fine except for this. I dont want to edit any where else in the bios and render my computer useless, so im hoping maybe something isnt right over here with this. Thats the only thing i need to get my osx working nicely!! BTW i changed my hp boot logo to an apple, looks ok...

Hi All - my first post

Mammoth - a question about the technical document - P8_Technical_HP_DVx_2.00. The top of page 8 has '2) WIPING OUT / ERASING ...' but i can't see part '1)' - have i lost or missed a page somehow ?

thanks for all the hard work - much appreciated at oatcake manor :D

I'm getting the exact same error as wael posted a few posts up. I am using generic MIIF with clean dsdt grabbed in ubuntu.

I can get to OSX install screen using 1.15 boot cd, does this mean I have the SMBIOS issue?

Is there a way to do one of the auto patchers on a non-osx machine?

Thanks!

In case my signature doesn't post I have dv6t-2000 CTO i7-720/ 8gb ram/ nvidia 230 igb

Hey everyone,

Awesome news Peter_sm, congrats!! :)

Card reader may not be possible to get working. Yes, you can install the Chameleon Pref.

You shouldn't here popping if set to: MacPro3,1

If you do, we'll have to look at that.

Hi Mammuth,

My SMBIOS.plist contains this -> <string>MacPro3,1</string> <string>MacBook Pro</string>

I hear the popping few times , its not so bad.... I think I can live with this, but if there are a solution , then is great.

EDIT

[solved]My Chameleon pref pane is not working...

It's OK with pref pane now.

See attached image

//Peter

post-683117-1301216309_thumb.png

I was wondering if this method would work for an HP Envy 14.5 (1150CA), it looks very promising and I have attempted hackintosh before. I got up to the point where I was able to run [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and after restarting I would get an error telling me to restart my pc by holding the power down button. Here are my specs for this laptop and if it isn't compatible, is there anything I can do to make this work?

Specifications:

HP Envy 14 1150CA

- Core i5 460M 2.53Ghz (Arrandale Socket 989 rPGA)

- 6GB DDR3 Ram (Supports up to 8)

- 640GB 7200RPM SATA HDD

- Slot-Loading SuperMulti DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support

- ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5650 Graphics (switchable), up to 3738 MB total graphics memory with 1 GB DDR3 dedicated

- Intel HD Integrated graphcs (Unsure about which one)

- Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 AGN

- Bios version: F.13 (I think its an Insyde bios)

This is all I know so far from using CPUZ, device manager and HP's website. If there is another way to get a more detailed analysis of my system, then please do inform me. Also, if any further information is required then I will gladly try and offer it. I hope that this method of OSX installation works out nicely for me and even others with a similar laptop/build as mine.

Hoping for the best,

GoldenDrago

Well...

Tried with MIID, with mammoth boot 1.15a and retail 10.6.3 dvd... nothing seems to work, no matter what kernel flags I use...

Then, I tried an old Empire EFI bootcd for i3, it seems, and it works! I'm at the installation menu!

Really wanted to use the Mammoth's Method... let's see if this info helps!

Hey Mammoth,

The nawcom boot CD that I used can be found here. Nawcom Boot CD

This is the same Boot CD that atlee who has a DV6 3032tx used and managed to get a working system. Had to key in "rd(0,0) mod bin kernel" (something along those lines, can't remember it word for word) command to run OSX installation.

Hi Mammoth

Just wanted to say great tutorial! Thanks for all the work that was put into this. It makes it easy for Mac newbs like myself to get a Hac up and running. Your install method seems a lot more stable than the install I had before. Have not tested (everything), but seems to be running well.

Came across a few things during the install:

* I used the DVx_02 MIIF for the install. I found that I couldn't (or don't know how) to add my DSDT to the CIIF.dmg, so it would be used on the first boot of the hdd. I had write permission issues.

* As Stated by NIXon "Also, the patcher for DV6 is the same as for DV7 - so you can use do that." The patch worked fine, except for naming my graphics card "nvidia GeForce GT 320M" instead of "230M". Easily fixed patch with txt editor.

* I noticed that during the boot from my flash drive for initial partitioning and installation, I had a lan connection. The realtek kext was loaded and assigned an ip address (seen from lan tools screen). How ever on initial boot from hdd, the realtek kext was not loaded (no lan connection).

* There was no sound on initial boot and configuration.

I know these are both fixable later, and it appears to be a permission thing. After first boot I ran EnableAudio(from maint. folder) and pfix. After a reboot both sound and lan worked work fine. I was wondering if there was a way to incorporate a script that dose both things into the /Volumes/Cham/Finish command? Do you think it would work if you combined ChamExtUp, EnableAudio, and Finish together - then have that run at /Volumes/Cham/Finish? That way both would work on initial boot from hdd.

Other than above (and they were minor) the install of osx was very easy and error free.

The only problem I couldn't overcome had to do with reinstalling windows. I don't have ghost, so I did a fresh install of Windows7 x64 SP1 from usb. The install went fine. Booted into osx from MIID.Tried to follow P8 Technical Guide - Installing Chameleon from a MIID. When I rebooted, Chameleon popped up and I could boot to OSX. However Windows7 was nowhere to be seen. diskutil can see the windows partition. It is even still the active partition. Just no sign of it in chameleon.

Repaired Windows boot and tried again, with same results. Did this a couple of times. I pretty sure I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what.

Sorry for the long post. Just trying to share my experience.

Thanks again!

just something to add really quick, im not sure if anyone else here uses frostwire in mac but if you do has anyone noticed audio like cutting out then coming back, i know its not the files as ive burned them to disks and they are great, assuming its the audio drivers. also frostwire has closed unexpectedly about 3 times tonight, not sure if its poor coding or some underlying issue somewhere else.. i figured i would gather some other peoples input!! Otherwise loving osx so far got my wireless card to work so im really happy now!