[Guide] Mammoth Method v2.00 - HP DVx 10.6.x: Fast, Easy, Comprehensive Installation. /// NEW MAMMOTH BOOT CD for i5 & i3 \\\

Mammoth

1,567 posts in this topic

Update 2: Mammoth has informed me: "The patched BIOS is already in the DV8 MIIF, so you don't need to look for it. It's already there. ;)"

Update: I just went here and found the already-modified BIOS (thanks, NIXin!). Additionally there are some different instructions there which look more elaborate...

------

I tried the steps in the P8_Technical doc to patch the F.25 BIOS. I did not actually update my BIOS with the results, however, because a few things seemed strange:

1. I searched for the hex values 84C075 and found them ... but (out of curiosity) I also did a search to see how many occurrences there were in the entire memory of EzH20 -- there were thousands! Is the first default match really the one to change?? Seems statistically improbable :)

2. Upon saving the patched result after editing, I found that the MD5 hashes of the original .fd file, and the patched version, were identical. Seems like the result wasn't sticking.

I'm gonna experiment a bit more, but I would be really grateful if someone could send me a known-working, patched F.25 BIOS for DV8 machines. (7001F25.FD)

Thank you Mammoth for all your hard work on this!

cheers

Mammuth and ALL others :)

I have completed the installation and it works soooo great and soooo fast :D

Before installation I removed my W7 drive and moved my secondary drive to slot 1.

After completed OSX installation I attached my W7 drive in slot 2. Rebooted and started W7 from my system partition(200mb) my W7 partition was not bootable.

So everytthing os fine. :D

But I want someone to look at my attached file and see if something is wrong!

And I think I going to get a clean DSDT from Windows and let you guys fix one for me? is that OK? and who would do this for me?

Thanks for this great way to install OSX

BR

Peter

send_me.zip

I'm up and running now, system seems stable but I'm only getting a geekbench score of 3600 according to the list I seen with my install with MacBook pro 3,1 I should be hitting around 6000? Any ideas what may be wrong

I'm up and running now, system seems stable but I'm only getting a geekbench score of 3600 according to the list I seen with my install with MacBook pro 3,1 I should be hitting around 6000? Any ideas what may be wrong

Strange. I ran geekbench and get around 5900. Though still not what it should be for the equiv 720qm MBP. I suspect it's DSDTs to blame maybe? Or the fact we are running a hacked os x lol!!! :)

Strange. I ran geekbench and get around 5900. Though still not what it should be for the equiv 720qm MBP. I suspect it's DSDTs to blame maybe? Or the fact we are running a hacked os x lol!!! :)

Are u running the 64 bit version I am only able to run the 32bit version as I haven't paid for the program

Are u running the 64 bit version I am only able to run the 32bit version as I haven't paid for the program

That is with the 32bit version, I also "tried" the 64bit version *cough* ahoy-bay *cough* and i get around 6900.

Well l just tried the DSDT-Editor and the patch. It doesn't compile. It complains about 3x errors, 2 are invalid characters and the other is a parse error. It seems to moaning about line 922 where it ends with "[child]" any ideas??? :/

NOT MacBookPro3,1 but MacPro3,1

Big difference.

:)

P.S. Been busy yesterday and a lot of today; will catch-up with everyone later today though!

Great work everyone! I'm very happy with how things are going. We will reach (near) perfection for all!

Update: I just went here and found the already-modified BIOS (thanks, NIXin!). Additionally there are some different instructions there which look more elaborate...

------

I tried the steps in the P8_Technical doc to patch the F.25 BIOS. I did not actually update my BIOS with the results, however, because a few things seemed strange:

1. I searched for the hex values 84C075 and found them ... but (out of curiosity) I also did a search to see how many occurrences there were in the entire memory of EzH20 -- there were thousands! Is the first default match really the one to change?? Seems statistically improbable :)

2. Upon saving the patched result after editing, I found that the MD5 hashes of the original .fd file, and the patched version, were identical. Seems like the result wasn't sticking.

I'm gonna experiment a bit more, but I would be really grateful if someone could send me a known-working, patched F.25 BIOS for DV8 machines. (7001F25.FD)

Thank you Mammoth for all your hard work on this!

cheers

The patched BIOS is already in the DV8 MIIF, so you don't need to look for it. It's already there. :(

I just checked again I am on macpro 3,1 also I put in my other 2gig stick and reran with 6 gigs of memory and my score shot up to 5400, I'm going to be checking out some other things as well my mouse is jumpy and wont accept a double tap to open items I actually have to double click, anyone remember the name of that tweak program??

I just checked again I am on macpro 3,1 also I put in my other 2gig stick and reran with 6 gigs of memory and my score shot up to 5400, I'm going to be checking out some other things as well my mouse is jumpy and wont accept a double tap to open items I actually have to double click, anyone remember the name of that tweak program??

You sure you just ain't enabled the "clicking" checkbox in the trackpad preference pane, it's not ticked by default.

You sure you just ain't enabled the "clicking" checkbox in the trackpad preference pane, it's not ticked by default.

its checked it almost seems like click lock is enabled, because sometimes when i click to close it stays clicked until i tap again, ive looked everywhere are cant find a click lock option that is selected that would make it act this way.

Hi Mammoth!

Is it possible to install in my system with the DVx_01 or do I have to wait for the DV7?

Also, it is possible to install without a DSDT, and get it done afterwards, isn´t it? In that case, which of the methods in guide 10 gets a better approach: Ubuntu or autoPatcher?

thank you

HOWEVER, I then try to boot my newly installed "Macintosh HD" partition and to which it complains it can't find "taptun1063_kernel" see picture below...

19950610150451589150576.jpg

This is because the expected drive & slice (partition) where the kernel is expected to be located is (0,1) which is correct if you are installing OS X on primary drive 1 and Cham is literally on slice / partition 1 and the EFI is on 0.

For your system, you would simply modify it to be (0,3).

Ok, it has to also be: MacPro3,1 NOT MacPro 3,1

(No space between the "o" and the "3"

=====================

CIIF vs. Cham issue.

I am working to correct this and will be posting updated MIIFs.

Very sorry for the mistake; these are the kinds of mistakes I DON'T want to make because it breaks the whole install. DANG!

The CIIF image got named CIIF (which SEEMS logical), but should be Cham (for OBVIOUS reasons).

Mammoth great work follow your guide and it is more than useful thanx for your effort

now all thing running very good ! wow

there are one thing not a big deal but if you know about it

the temperature of my cpu didnt show in i stat so i cant monitor cpu temperature

other working okay really thanx man !!!:wub:

This is because the expected drive & slice (partition) where the kernel is expected to be located is (0,1) which is correct if you are installing OS X on primary drive 1 and Cham is literally on slice / partition 1 and the EFI is on 0.

For your system, you would simply modify it to be (0,3).

Not sure l necessarily agree, if you check my reply later on you'll notice that simply renaming the taptun10_6_3 kernel to taptun10_6_6 it boots perfectly. No change in file location or nothing. Very strange...

PROGRESS

New MIIFs are almost done.

I found another issue: The Part 5 - Customizing Guide that got released was NOT the finished version!!! Oh these kinds of things are SO maddening! This is what happens when you try to rush things.

I'm trying to find the finalized version but it's not where it's supposed to be; I BETTER not have lost it! :unsure:

Also, I need to make a quick update to some of the guides due to the CIIF vs. Cham issue. This will be the change you all need to be aware of:

MIIF files will actually have the term "MIIF" in the file name, NOT "MIID".

Here is why. While I was developing the method and procedures, at one point the files were going to simply be MIID.dmg (ALL of them). You would know which one was which by the the text file in the .ZIP file it came with (this also needs to be updated in the guides because the use of .ZIP files became unnecessary). In this case, the file name would be used to name the actual devices.

I realized this was going to be a problem, and later adopted the long, but descriptive and helpful, file names we use now. So now the file names (long) are irrelevant to the image name (short, such as MIID / CIIF).

This will make more sense and be less confusing.

So hang tight; fixing MIIFs, finding lost Part 5 guide, updating other guides.

New estimate to updates, 5:00 PM GMT -8:00

Just to update I highly recommend AGAINST installing iStat Pro. I just experienced a kernel panic mentioning "unlocking an unlocked mutex" sounded very strange. Quick google and here is an insanelymac thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...43204&st=40

Seems iStat Pro is the culprit when used in conjunction with hard drives such as ours. Be warned...

PROGRESS

New MIIFs are almost done.

I found another issue: The Part 5 - Customizing Guide that got released was NOT the finished version!!! Oh these kinds of things are SO maddening! This is what happens when you try to rush things.

I'm trying to find the finalized version but it's not where it's supposed to be; I BETTER not have lost it! :(

Also, I need to make a quick update to some of the guides due to the CIIF vs. Cham issue. This will be the change you all need to be aware of:

MIIF files will actually have the term "MIIF" in the file name, NOT "MIID".

Here is why. While I was developing the method and procedures, at one point the files were going to simply be MIID.dmg (ALL of them). You would know which one was which by the the text file in the .ZIP file it came with (this also needs to be updated in the guides because the use of .ZIP files became unnecessary). In this case, the file name would be used to name the actual devices.

I realized this was going to be a problem, and later adopted the long, but descriptive and helpful, file names we use now. So now the file names (long) are irrelevant to the image name (short, such as MIID / CIIF).

This will make more sense and be less confusing.

So hang tight; fixing MIIFs, finding lost Part 5 guide, updating other guides.

New estimate to updates, 5:00 PM GMT -8:00

i hope there was something else in part 5 that had to do with trackpad, im wondering if i should try the synaptics kext instead of voodoo that is currently being used, like i said right now when i tap the trackpad it registers the tap but acts like i havent let go, then when i tap again it acts like i just let go, i havent found any options for sticky click or anything like that to be causing the problems, i have enable click and dragging in trackpad preferences but nothing is changing the issue, also it wont let me double tap to select items i actually have to double click, so im guessing its a problems with either my dsdt somehow or with the voodoo trackpad kext

also on a side note if i have 2 finger scrolling enabled, i cant scroll with 2 fingers but i can use one finger on the side of the trackpad like in windows, with that option disable i cant use the trackpad to scroll at all!

EDIT

i just downloaded the new part5 guide you posted, i compared both side by side and the only difference i can find it one small warning about updating to point update about the kernel panicking, was there supposed to be more than just that addition that was left out mammoth??

i hope there was something else in part 5 that had to do with trackpad, im wondering if i should try the synaptics kext instead of voodoo that is currently being used, like i said right now when i tap the trackpad it registers the tap but acts like i havent let go, then when i tap again it acts like i just let go, i havent found any options for sticky click or anything like that to be causing the problems, i have enable click and dragging in trackpad preferences but nothing is changing the issue, also it wont let me double tap to select items i actually have to double click, so im guessing its a problems with either my dsdt somehow or with the voodoo trackpad kext

also on a side note if i have 2 finger scrolling enabled, i cant scroll with 2 fingers but i can use one finger on the side of the trackpad like in windows, with that option disable i cant use the trackpad to scroll at all!

EDIT

i just downloaded the new part5 guide you posted, i compared both side by side and the only difference i can find it one small warning about updating to point update about the kernel panicking, was there supposed to be more than just that addition that was left out mammoth??

HeyFranky_402,

My Trackpad works perfectly but I think I did have your issue originally. We will compare notes once I get caught up and get yours working right.

The most important update is the networking section at the top! Someone posted they were having problems with the Ethernet LAN not working. The steps in the updated guide show how to fix that. :(

===================

EVERYONE

I just uploaded the NEW Part 2 - Installation Image Devices Guide!

MIFFs are all finished now! I am working on getting them uploaded in the next few minutes; so if you are waiting for them, keep watch as they will start appearing soon.

HeyFranky_402,

My Trackpad works perfectly but I think I did have your issue originally. We will compare notes once I get caught up and get yours working right.

The most important update is the networking section at the top! Someone posted they were having problems with the Ethernet LAN not working. The steps in the updated guide show how to fix that. :(

===================

EVERYONE

I just uploaded the NEW Part 2 - Installation Image Devices Guide!

MIFFs are all finished now! I am working on getting them uploaded in the next few minutes; so if you are waiting for them, keep watch as they will start appearing soon.

Sounds great, looking forward to that

Not sure l necessarily agree, if you check my reply later on you'll notice that simply renaming the taptun10_6_3 kernel to taptun10_6_6 it boots perfectly. No change in file location or nothing. Very strange...

have you not updated to 10.6.6 yet?