[Guide] Mammoth Method v2.00 - HP DVx 10.6.x: Fast, Easy, Comprehensive Installation. /// NEW MAMMOTH BOOT CD for i5 & i3 \\\

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
1533 replies to this topic

pablo101

pablo101

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
To reiterate what KiD KuN has just posted:

I have just finished updating to 10.6.6 YES THANKYOU LOL

And to reiterate the CIIF finish thingy is needed. The 10.6.3 kernel is strangely not working, at least for me, but 10.6.6 kernel works fine after 10.6.6 update. And audio is fine, lan is fine after running the lan program from the old mammoth boot disk. graphics fine, cpu fine.

A few queries:

1) In activity monitor I only see 1 cpu. Haven't we got all the cpus/cores working??

2) The audio from the speakers is noticeably "duller" than under windows, a driver problem or my own setup or DSDT perhaps, any advice? thanks

atlee

atlee

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
@Mammoth i will make a MIIF soon, with DSDT fixes I get my DVD Burner back, Memory Card reader works, HP Web camera works out of the box. Currently have my ATI 5650 working 1366x768 Internal LCD with VGA as Extended via Uakari FB. QE/CI so i'm on a good path to getting things going. Also Audio shows up with HDMI port. Good results. Havn't looked at your version 2 but will very soon.

franky_402

franky_402

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
got an error trying to restore the miif to my usb drive saying it couldnt find any restore info, so im redownling again probably just a bad download, will let you know how it goes!

EDIT

when i go to scan for a restore image it says it has failed because the file does not exist, the drive i have it on is formatted NTFS so i suspect this to be the problem, trying it on a fat32 drive now!

**EDIT**

That was indeed the case, i was using a spare hdd i had to copy the miid over but it was formatted with ntfs and didnt think it was going to be a problem since disk util was able to browse the entire drive. I copied the file over to my evo and then scanned the file and it worked like a charm.. So anyone else having a similar problem you must use a HFS or Fat32 drive for this process

pablo101

pablo101

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Just to correct/update myself. When I download+install "menumeters" it shows 8 different CPUs instead of just 1 like in Activity Monitor. So l guess all 8 are working?!

atlee

atlee

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Just to correct/update myself. When I download+install "menumeters" it shows 8 different CPUs instead of just 1 like in Activity Monitor. So l guess all 8 are working?!

@pablo101 and Mammoth, That is because 720QM has 4 cores, 8 threads. are you using legacy or mach kernel with RC5 apic cpu fix? from meklorts branch?

What RC5 are you running in v2.00? How did you manage to fix the CPU apic kernel panic, Are you using Legacy inside v2 or mach kernel?

pablo101

pablo101

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

@pablo101 and Mammoth, That is because 720QM has 4 cores, 8 threads. are you using legacy or mach kernel with RC5 apic cpu fix? from meklorts branch?

What RC5 are you running in v2.00? How did you manage to fix the CPU apic kernel panic, Are you using Legacy inside v2 or mach kernel?

I *guess* we are using the legacy kernel however it is modified and has been renamed by mammoth to "taptun..." you'll have to ask mammoth why.

I'll let you know of the chameleon RC5 in 1 sec when I reboot :) I didn't need to fix any CPU APIC KP, again ask mammoth, he has built the boot disk which is highly customised for our machines...

NIXin

NIXin

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

AUTO-PATCHER PATCH PACKS ADDED!

Auto-patcher Patch Packs (brought to us by NIXin!) have been posted in the new AUTO-PATCHER PATCH PACKS library.

These are for:

DV8 (i7 ONLY!) based machines (Already generated DSDT that's included in DV8 MIIF .01)

DV6 (i7 ONLY!) based machines (You can use this to generate a near perfect DSDT!)

Hey Mammoth.
I did send you the updated auto patchers, for i3, i5, i7, don't you remember? :)
Also, the patcher for DV6 is the same as for DV7 - so you can use do that.

EVERYONE, it is VERY important that you use the Auto-patcher on your own machine! NIXin has warned us that using a DSDT from a machine with a different processor (i.e. you have an i3 and you are trying to use something intended for an i7) can FRY YOUR CPU! Be VERY aware of this!

This used to be true. Many people have used wrong DSDTs working, but I wouldn't recommend it. The new auto-patched ones I did, shouldn't damage the computer, but some risk is there.
The older ones had speedstepping for a specific CPU that could actually damage it. The new ones don't have that part because it's autogenerated by the efi boot loader (cham/anval).
You also need to regenerate DSDTs after changing RAM memory sticks.

elixz

elixz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Mammuth,

While I have 2 drives, could I just remove may primary(w7) drive, then move secondary to primary slot, install OSX, then connect my W7 drive in to the secondary slot and boot from chameleon to my w7?

Thanks for V2 :D

And I will try your DSDT, since we have the same BIOS , that's what I think :(

//Peter

Hello Peter_sm,

I´ve also got 2 internal HDs and I am going to do it the same way as you. At the moment, I have W7 on the secondary drive and I boot with a bootloader and no problem, so I think that after installing SL on the primary drive it will work the same. I have been getting everything ready and this afthernoon (spanish time) I will try the instalation.

Chao

PD: to everyone in the forum THANK YOU, GRACIAS, ESKERRIK ASKO, MERCY, DANKE... You are great :D

pablo101

pablo101

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
@mammoth or @NIXin: I have downloaded your auto-patcher which appears as a .txt how do I "run" it per se? any instructions??

atlee

atlee

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Hey Mammoth.
I did send you the updated auto patchers, for i3, i5, i7, don't you remember? :(
Also, the patcher for DV6 is the same as for DV7 - so you can use do that.

This used to be true. Many people have used wrong DSDTs working, but I wouldn't recommend it. The new auto-patched ones I did, shouldn't damage the computer, but some risk is there.
The older ones had speedstepping for a specific CPU that could actually damage it. The new ones don't have that part because it's autogenerated by the efi boot loader (cham/anval).
You also need to regenerate DSDTs after changing RAM memory sticks.

Hi NIXin,

I have seen your work in the auto patcher section under the new release/updates section. Regarding your auto patcher there are a few things which I might ask, inside your patch text file there are quite a few patches which don't related to my machine to give you a few examples. J384 - my machine dont have firewire, also nasty hack for dv6 not related to my dv6, all of fix 1 does not match my machine. IDT Sound is diff model, also the Realtek LAN fix does not work if used. its 8168 not 8169 card. Is there a way to change your script to check if it matches the machine if not dont apply patch?

Yes i can do it manually but it would be good to run automatically and check if or if not does it apply to a certain spec dv6 model.

Would you like me to correct my DSDT and send to you so you can add DV6-3132TX to your list of automatic updates the DSDT?

Also regarding speedstepping newer versa older what do you mean different revision Core i7 720QM chips? Speedstepping and Turbo seems to work fine here, temps are ok for this type of chip.

@mammoth or @NIXin: I have downloaded your auto-patcher which appears as a .txt how do I "run" it per se? any instructions??

DSDT-Editor Mac will run the patches from the text file, Open the program, Click Extract DSDT. Click Patch -> New then cut and paste the DSDT patches that match your machine.

fewlio

fewlio

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 10 posts
Update 2: Mammoth has informed me: "The patched BIOS is already in the DV8 MIIF, so you don't need to look for it. It's already there. ;)"

Update: I just went here and found the already-modified BIOS (thanks, NIXin!). Additionally there are some different instructions there which look more elaborate...

------

I tried the steps in the P8_Technical doc to patch the F.25 BIOS. I did not actually update my BIOS with the results, however, because a few things seemed strange:

1. I searched for the hex values 84C075 and found them ... but (out of curiosity) I also did a search to see how many occurrences there were in the entire memory of EzH20 -- there were thousands! Is the first default match really the one to change?? Seems statistically improbable :)

2. Upon saving the patched result after editing, I found that the MD5 hashes of the original .fd file, and the patched version, were identical. Seems like the result wasn't sticking.

I'm gonna experiment a bit more, but I would be really grateful if someone could send me a known-working, patched F.25 BIOS for DV8 machines. (7001F25.FD)

Thank you Mammoth for all your hard work on this!

cheers

Peter_sm

Peter_sm

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
Mammuth and ALL others :)

I have completed the installation and it works soooo great and soooo fast :D

Before installation I removed my W7 drive and moved my secondary drive to slot 1.
After completed OSX installation I attached my W7 drive in slot 2. Rebooted and started W7 from my system partition(200mb) my W7 partition was not bootable.

So everytthing os fine. :D

But I want someone to look at my attached file and see if something is wrong!

And I think I going to get a clean DSDT from Windows and let you guys fix one for me? is that OK? and who would do this for me?

Thanks for this great way to install OSX

BR

Peter

Attached Files

franky_402

franky_402

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
I'm up and running now, system seems stable but I'm only getting a geekbench score of 3600 according to the list I seen with my install with MacBook pro 3,1 I should be hitting around 6000? Any ideas what may be wrong

pablo101

pablo101

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

I'm up and running now, system seems stable but I'm only getting a geekbench score of 3600 according to the list I seen with my install with MacBook pro 3,1 I should be hitting around 6000? Any ideas what may be wrong

Strange. I ran geekbench and get around 5900. Though still not what it should be for the equiv 720qm MBP. I suspect it's DSDTs to blame maybe? Or the fact we are running a hacked os x lol!!! :)

franky_402

franky_402

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Strange. I ran geekbench and get around 5900. Though still not what it should be for the equiv 720qm MBP. I suspect it's DSDTs to blame maybe? Or the fact we are running a hacked os x lol!!! :)

Are u running the 64 bit version I am only able to run the 32bit version as I haven't paid for the program

pablo101

pablo101

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Are u running the 64 bit version I am only able to run the 32bit version as I haven't paid for the program

That is with the 32bit version, I also "tried" the 64bit version *cough* ahoy-bay *cough* and i get around 6900.

Well l just tried the DSDT-Editor and the patch. It doesn't compile. It complains about 3x errors, 2 are invalid characters and the other is a parse error. It seems to moaning about line 922 where it ends with "[child]" any ideas??? :/

Mammoth

Mammoth

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

NOT MacBookPro3,1 but MacPro3,1

Big difference.

:)

P.S. Been busy yesterday and a lot of today; will catch-up with everyone later today though!

Great work everyone! I'm very happy with how things are going. We will reach (near) perfection for all!

Update: I just went here and found the already-modified BIOS (thanks, NIXin!). Additionally there are some different instructions there which look more elaborate...

------

I tried the steps in the P8_Technical doc to patch the F.25 BIOS. I did not actually update my BIOS with the results, however, because a few things seemed strange:

1. I searched for the hex values 84C075 and found them ... but (out of curiosity) I also did a search to see how many occurrences there were in the entire memory of EzH20 -- there were thousands! Is the first default match really the one to change?? Seems statistically improbable :)

2. Upon saving the patched result after editing, I found that the MD5 hashes of the original .fd file, and the patched version, were identical. Seems like the result wasn't sticking.

I'm gonna experiment a bit more, but I would be really grateful if someone could send me a known-working, patched F.25 BIOS for DV8 machines. (7001F25.FD)

Thank you Mammoth for all your hard work on this!

cheers

The patched BIOS is already in the DV8 MIIF, so you don't need to look for it. It's already there. :(

franky_402

franky_402

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
I just checked again I am on macpro 3,1 also I put in my other 2gig stick and reran with 6 gigs of memory and my score shot up to 5400, I'm going to be checking out some other things as well my mouse is jumpy and wont accept a double tap to open items I actually have to double click, anyone remember the name of that tweak program??

pablo101

pablo101

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

I just checked again I am on macpro 3,1 also I put in my other 2gig stick and reran with 6 gigs of memory and my score shot up to 5400, I'm going to be checking out some other things as well my mouse is jumpy and wont accept a double tap to open items I actually have to double click, anyone remember the name of that tweak program??

You sure you just ain't enabled the "clicking" checkbox in the trackpad preference pane, it's not ticked by default.

franky_402

franky_402

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

You sure you just ain't enabled the "clicking" checkbox in the trackpad preference pane, it's not ticked by default.

its checked it almost seems like click lock is enabled, because sometimes when i click to close it stays clicked until i tap again, ive looked everywhere are cant find a click lock option that is selected that would make it act this way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy