ATI Radeon 6xxx, working QE/CI

Nuphor

791 posts in this topic

Couldn't get these to work after 8 separate installs. The kexts won't initialize with anything I try. My device ID is definitely in the kext as well. Fresh 10.6.6 Install Vanilla Kernel, XFX HD6870 Black Edition.

The closest I got was using these kexts, which would at least power all 4 monitors but wouldn't get to the desktop even with only one device plugged in, DVI or DisplayPort.

I'm basically giving up on this project until there is a distro with this card's support built in, or a pkg file that installs them automatically and it's reporting wide successful use. Or OSx86 Lion comes out. Thanks for the effort.

Your card is? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...0-507-_-Product

?

test this driver

http://www.multiupload.com/HCJPQKXPLJ

or others

http://www.mediafire.com/?1eb2×1v1nuk4i6d (ATI driverset from LION)

Radeon cards referenced in the drivers (Device IDs):

- radeon HD 5770 + 5870

- radeon HD 5850

- radeon HD 6850

- radeon HD 6870

- radeon HD 6970

For other cards, Device IDs must be added to the controller kext.

my card id already listed (i even dont touch ati 6000 controller kext, atix3000) its already there devid 6760. but no dice! darn

Heya,

Rominator here from Netkas forums.

I have been going nuts trying to get a 6950 and 6970 running in a Mac Pro.

I was using the kexts linked here and noticed that even when I used a Radeon 5870 I got NADA...a card that worked BEFORE I installed these MBP SL kexts. I then noticed that 3000.kext hadn't loaded.

On a hunch I compared them to ones I just got from an install disc image. I noticed that the one linked here is a little light. 157 bytes light to be exact.

Further examination shows that the _CodeSignature folder inside contains Aliases for CodeDirectory and CodeRequirements whilst the ones I got from Install DVD contain files of 153 bytes and 12 bytes for these same two files. Right clicking on the alias files in files linked from here to find original goes no place.

I believe therefore that these files are somehow corrupt or incomplete, and this may explain why nobody has been able to duplicate the OPs success.

Could these be symbolic links that haven't been kept whole?

Sadly, by the time I noticed this my install is now all buggered up so it will take me time to get it all back together, but I am hopeful that the poster can get to the bottom of this and either remove the posted files or post correct ones.

I have attached the specific kext I mention, it seems likely that if this one is buggered up, others may be as well.

If I am in error I apologize in advance.

EDIT : I can choose the file to attach but the green "upload" button is dead to me. This may be due to fact my remaining good OS is Lion, which is a tad buggy. Will try from another machine shortly.

ATIRadeonX3000.kext.zip

Heya,

Rominator here from Netkas forums.

I have been going nuts trying to get a 6950 and 6970 running in a Mac Pro.

I was using the kexts linked here and noticed that even when I used a Radeon 5870 I got NADA...a card that worked BEFORE I installed these MBP SL kexts. I then noticed that 3000.kext hadn't loaded.

On a hunch I compared them to ones I just got from an install disc image. I noticed that the one linked here is a little light. 157 bytes light to be exact.

Further examination shows that the _CodeSignature folder inside contains Aliases for CodeDirectory and CodeRequirements whilst the ones I got from Install DVD contain files of 153 bytes and 12 bytes for these same two files. Right clicking on the alias files in files linked from here to find original goes no place.

I believe therefore that these files are somehow corrupt or incomplete, and this may explain why nobody has been able to duplicate the OPs success.

Could these be symbolic links that haven't been kept whole?

Sadly, by the time I noticed this my install is now all buggered up so it will take me time to get it all back together, but I am hopeful that the poster can get to the bottom of this and either remove the posted files or post correct ones.

I have attached the specific kext I mention, it seems likely that if this one is buggered up, others may be as well.

If I am in error I apologize in advance.

EDIT : I can choose the file to attach but the green "upload" button is dead to me. This may be due to fact my remaining good OS is Lion, which is a tad buggy. Will try from another machine shortly.

The symbolic links in my upload are definitely broken. Unfortunately, they were also broken when sent to me by the helpful gentleman with a new MBP. However, they can still be made to work (I almost forgot about this step).

Basically, rebuild your kextcache WITHOUT authentication, and things should work. There are still other issues (sleep, shutdown, restart etc.), but at QE/CI etc. will work.

To rebuild your kextcache without authentication run:

kextcache -z -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

The -z switch disables kext authentication. I'll try to get our source to send us on the kexts again, this time tar'd instead of zipped to preserve symlinks.

The symbolic links in my upload are definitely broken. Unfortunately, they were also broken when sent to me by the helpful gentleman with a new MBP. However, they can still be made to work (I almost forgot about this step).

After 2 days of trying different combos of non-working kexts I think "almost" isn't the right word.

I have the actual install disc so no need to wait for your buddy, unless he's super handy.Oddly, I have tried zipping the file I attached and then uncompressing again and it stayed the same size.

I want to help, so let me know which kexts to post. The big ATIRadeonX3000 is in my previous post. What else do you all need?

And where and how to post rest? I want to be sure the ones I post are actually useable, hours of frustrating fiddling is something everyone would like to avoid, not to mention it doesn't add anything to knowledge pool. I gave up and returned a 6950 but now I wonder if I was always just one step from getting it working.

In any case I have a 6970 now and I am going to restart testing tomorrow now that I have my 10.6.6 install back up and running.

After 2 days of trying different combos of non-working kexts I think "almost" isn't the right word.

Yeah, admittedly for you that's probably not the right word. That said I've got PM's from 3 people over the past 2 days confirming that their 6870's are now working. The shutdown/restart issue is still there, though - so there's still a bunch of issues. Would be great to hear of success with the 6970 too.

Since you have your hands on the new MBP's disc, maybe you could tar up the following if you get a chance:

ATI6000Controller.kext

ATIFramebuffer.kext

ATISupport.kext

ATIRadeonX3000.kext

ATIRadeonX3000GA.plugin

ATIRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle

ATIRadeonX3000VADriver.bundle

I'm still not entirely sure what messed up the kexts in the first place.

Some benchmarks (for jpa).

post-92496-1300040159_thumb.png

Glad we got to bottom of issue

Here are 2 PMs I got since you posted "the fix":

Hello Rominator,

I'm not able to reply on your posting in the topic because i don't have enough rights to do that. Do you how know i can become a full member to reply on your posts in that topic. But i wanted to tell you that i have been able to let my Asus Ati Radeon 6870 to work with snow leopard 10.6.6 , I used the kexts supplied by Nuphor in the first message but i had an error each time i installed a kext. After the supllied workaround (kextcache -z -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions) i have been able to get my 6870 to work full time. I can Play Call of duty on high res perfectly. The only thing i have is that my computer will not shut down and i have a problem with the second monitor. When i attach a second monitor my screens turn white. But with a single monitor everything works perfect except for the shutdown. I hope you can help me to understand how i can reply on this topic the normal way.. So we can help each other.

Grtz,

Falconnl

Hi, Rominator!

Just wanted to let you know I was able to get my 6870 working with full QE/CI by adding that very important step Nuphor added to the instructions. Hope you get it working too.

I'm a new user so I can't contribute publicly (what sense does that make?), so sorry for PM'ing you!

Best of luck to you,

HM4L

So glad I was able to help. I imagine people trying now will have better luck with your helpful correction.

I set Pacifist to install most of MBP Install onto my 4,1 last night.

Today I noticed that "Thunderbolt" has appeared in my System Profiler Report.

Still no love from 6970, but I think I am closer.

I have errands to run now, will try to get those kexts together later today.

best of luck to all, it appears that his fix will work !!!!

I personally don't have a 69xx card but have you [Rominator] tried checking if the x3000, the GL and VA bundles are being loaded? It's one thing to throw the dev and ven id's in but the bundles have to also support them or the cards won't "work" so to say.

Just like how your 5870 loads the x3000 if the 6970 doesn't load it then you know that's the cause of your problems.

Post back if you happen to find anything out as I'm leaning to get myself a 6xxx card (sold my 6850 due to frustration of it not working :D) just waiting for the quirks like shutdown/restart dual link DVI, etc starts working.

Yeah, admittedly for you that's probably not the right word. That said I've got PM's from 3 people over the past 2 days confirming that their 6870's are now working. The shutdown/restart issue is still there, though - so there's still a bunch of issues. Would be great to hear of success with the 6970 too.

Since you have your hands on the new MBP's disc, maybe you could tar up the following if you get a chance:

ATI6000Controller.kext

ATIFramebuffer.kext

ATISupport.kext

ATIRadeonX3000.kext

ATIRadeonX3000GA.plugin

ATIRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle

ATIRadeonX3000VADriver.bundle

I'm still not entirely sure what messed up the kexts in the first place.

Some benchmarks (for jpa).

thanks

results for cinebech and novabech??

Guest ^Andy^

Well I finally got this working on my hackintosh using all of the ATI kexts from the install dvd for the new 2011 macbook pro's. I also copied across the opengl framework from the install dvd along with the mach_kernel (its sandy bridge friendly when used with the sandy bridge build of chameleon). I then used the console to chmod and chown the ATI kexts, rebooted using a bootable usb drive to use the disk utility to repair disk permissions and voila..

I now have a perfect 64bit boot up with full QE/CI and no need to use any kernel flags at all on my P8P67 Pro, i5 2500k and crossfired 6870's (obviously no crossfire support in OS X but also no problem booting with both installed).

Cinebench scores seems very underwhelming though, I only get about 38fps on the opengl test compared to 60+ in windows.

P.S. I would have liked to have run a clean install from the 2011 macbook pro dvd but I don't know what settings to use in the SMBios.plist to get past the 'You cannot install Mac OS X on this computer' message.

P.P.S I have no shutdown or reboot issues.

Well I finally got this working on my hackintosh using all of the ATI kexts from the install dvd for the new 2011 macbook pro's. I also copied across the opengl framework from the install dvd along with the mach_kernel (its sandy bridge friendly when used with the sandy bridge build of chameleon). I then used the console to chmod and chown the ATI kexts, rebooted using a bootable usb drive to use the disk utility to repair disk permissions and voila..

I now have a perfect 64bit boot up with full QE/CI and no need to use any kernel flags at all on my P8P67 Pro, i5 2500k and crossfired 6870's (obviously no crossfire support in OS X but also no problem booting with both installed).

Cinebench scores seems very underwhelming though, I only get about 38fps on the opengl test compared to 60+ in windows.

P.S. I would have liked to have run a clean install from the 2011 macbook pro dvd but I don't know what settings to use in the SMBios.plist to get past the 'You cannot install Mac OS X on this computer' message.

P.P.S I have no shutdown or reboot issues.

Andy, upload files used in your install...

Your video card is?? link en newegg.com...

steps for install drivers or system?

thanks

Guest ^Andy^
Andy, upload files used in your install...

Your video card is?? link en newegg.com...

steps for install drivers or system?

thanks

I have 2 6870's in my hackintosh, one is a Sapphire 6870 and the other is an OEM one that I got off of ebay.

I will upload the kexts when I get home this evening (I will extract them straight from the dvd again rather than from my extensions folder).

I have 2 6870's in my hackintosh, one is a Sapphire 6870 and the other is an OEM one that I got off of ebay.

I will upload the kexts when I get home this evening (I will extract them straight from the dvd again rather than from my extensions folder).

Great! Thanks!

Is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814102909 your card??

upload files works 100% your files and files dvd

install method please... step for step

thanks

Guest ^Andy^
Is there anything new about 10.6.7 release date..?

I think when the update come .. we`ll have everything new from the OS and Drivers from MBP2011..

Files as promised - I will explain how I installed in a moment..

1 - Kexts ATI Kexts from 2011 MBP Install DVD

2 - OpenGL Framework (probably not needed) OpenGL framework from 2011 MBP Install DVD

3 - Sandybridge friendly Mach_Kernel (only req'd if you have a new i5 or i7) Sandy Bridge friendly Kernel

And here is how I installed it all. I did NOT use kext helper, I did it all manually using a second install of OS X - you can probably use the shell if you boot using -s if you don't have a second partition to boot from.

Firstly I deleted ALL of the existing ATI kext and ATI bundle files from /System/Library/Extensions. I then copied the new ones into place. I also copied across the opengl framework to System/Library/Frameworks and deleted everything in the /System/Library/Caches folder. I then booted with -s and once at the terminal did the following

mount -uw / 
cd /System/Library/Extensions
chown -R 0:0 ATI*
chmod -R 755 ATI*
reboot

I then booted using my bootable usb stick and used diskutility to repair disk permissions - once complete I rebooted specifying GraphicsEnabler=no as a kernel flag and once at the desktop with everything working I edited my com.apple.boot.plist to remove any reference to the GraphicsEnabler. That was that, job done!

If anybody finds the files and my instructions useful and can provide a better home to host them then I would be grateful. They are currently on the end of an adsl line so the downloads will be slow.

Good Luck!

Hey,

I've tried helping a friend setting up his 6850. I've tried the new MBP and Lion kexts.

When booted the screen is just light blue, no cursor.

HOWEVER, I can connect to it with Remote Management, and run 3d apps with full acceleration, I can change the resolution to whatever I want, it recognizes 1024mb ram in System Profiler and so on.

After some time (5-10mins), seems random, suddenly the monitor will go from blue to showing the desktop. So suddenly it will work fine like nothing is wrong.

Anyone know what would cause this?

Thanks

Guest ^Andy^
Hey,

I've tried helping a friend setting up his 6850. I've tried the new MBP and Lion kexts.

When booted the screen is just light blue, no cursor.

HOWEVER, I can connect to it with Remote Management, and run 3d apps with full acceleration, I can change the resolution to whatever I want, it recognizes 1024mb ram in System Profiler and so on.

After some time (5-10mins), seems random, suddenly the monitor will go from blue to showing the desktop. So suddenly it will work fine like nothing is wrong.

Anyone know what would cause this?

Thanks

I had the same problem over too many days to mention, I would either get a bluescreen or a white screen with a mouse pointer but no desktop. Only using my files and method above did I manage to get everything working.

Guest ^Andy^

I've updated my post and changed the links to rapidshare (you guys were killing my adsl line). Appologies to anybody who's download got cut short :thumbsup_anim: however if you use the new links it will be much faster than my poor old adsl line could provide.

Okay ^Andy^ I'm giving it one more shot with your kexts and directions. Thankfully adding in another 250GB drive to my system allows me to use MacDrive 8 to move files around instead of using the miserable USB Thumbdrive to install updates like last time (so slow). I'll report my results later tonight. Thanks for giving me another hope to get this running on my system.

I am very glad that the discovery of the bad kext(s) moved things forward for the 6850/70 crowd, I'm afraid that my 6970 is still either locking on solid blue or unaccelerated but working OK otherwise.

However, I am doing this on a real Mac so you guys may have better luck.

I used Pacifist to create a 10.6.6 from the MBP install DVD. It took all night but I am pretty sure that if this doesn't work running from that install, that there is something still missing for 6950/70 to work.

I am hopeful that one of you guys will prove me wrong and get one running on a Hack, in which case I have just not hit right combo.

Pure MBP 10.6.6 not working so I tried bring over Lion kexts one at a time, still no love.

Only plus to all of this bother is that under "Hardware" in Sys Profiler I now see "ThunderBolt". Looks cool but I would rather have working 6970.