VoodooPS2 optimized for Snow Leopard, Leopard and Tiger

Andy Vandijck

151 posts in this topic

I can log double extended code if you wish. It is dangerous for the size of kernel-log.

Well I can comment after I check to see what it gets, on Linux I get doubled extended scan code for brightness Fn keys, BTW any idea how I can map those?

OK, I will wait.

Note on synaptics (maybe will work with others too) smoothness and acceleration:

Changing it to higher resolution (i have set it to 2400, 100 was default) and speed to max (divisor=1) makes pointer movement really smooth and not jumpy when you touch it little.

And it gives more controll on apple touchpad pref.pane.

Did you try the preference pane that I have uploaded? The one that came with the VoodooPS2Controller.kext or Apple's own Trackpad.prefpane has NEVER worked for me, this one is completely different and it works quite well. Although, I am unsure of its origins.

Hey, thanks for this, I had been pulling my hair out now I am almost bald trying to fix this trackpad issue, I installed this preference pane and now it retains my tap setting!! Now my HackBook Pro is perfect!!! ;)

Hey, thanks for this, I had been pulling my hair out now I am almost bald trying to fix this trackpad issue, I installed this preference pane and now it retains my tap setting!! Now my HackBook Pro is perfect!!! :)

I am glad that this preference pane has worked for you, besides this preference pane, nothing else has ever provided full control over the trackpad scrolling functionality on my rig. Interestingly enough though, I am being completely ignored by the posters of this topic even though there is a Trackpad.prefPane with scrolling functionality already available which has achieved what they are attempting to achieve.

I uploaded it to Megashares as I couldn't upload it to this forum due to size limitations, it's 14 megs in size and the limit is 10 megs.

Slice, Andy, Scrax, THe KiNG at least take a look at it....

Hey, thanks for this, I had been pulling my hair out now I am almost bald trying to fix this trackpad issue, I installed this preference pane and now it retains my tap setting!! Now my HackBook Pro is perfect!!! :)

Hi Macpaq,

That's great that your is now working perfectly! Could you please upload your ApplePS2Controller.kext? I installed DarwinX's PrefPane, but only have standard options, so obviously I don't have the correct ApplePS2Controller.kext.

Thanks! (and thanks to DarwinX too!)

Hi Macpaq,

That's great that your is now working perfectly! Could you please upload your ApplePS2Controller.kext? I installed DarwinX's PrefPane, but only have standard options, so obviously I don't have the correct ApplePS2Controller.kext.

Thanks! (and thanks to DarwinX too!)

No probs. This preference pane works with the new Andy Vandijck's VoodooPS2Controller.kext with corrected iTunes multimedia keys by Slice:

zip.gif ReleaseALPS.zip

To avoid conflicts, ensure that there are no other Trackpad.prefPanes loaded anywhere in your system, also fix permissions. It goes into your /System/Library/PreferencePanes directory.

To avoid conflicts, ensure that there are no other Trackpad.prefPanes loaded anywhere in your system, also fix permissions. It goes into your /System/Library/PreferencePanes directory.

http://d01.megashares.com/index.php?d01=5da6d6a

Thank you! Now I downloaded your prefPane and it works! While system's one - no.

What is the version? From what sources? Or just binary patched?

Thank you! Now I downloaded your prefPane and it works! While system's one - no.

What is the version? From what sources? Or just binary patched?

No problemo, Slice. I am embarrassed to admit that I really am not aware of the origins of said preference pane however, I have been successfully utilizing it for quite awhile, perhaps even since the very inception of the Snow Leopard, so for more than a year now. While I do not believe it to be a patched Apple's Trackpad.prefPane, I certainly do not have it's sources available to me. However, I am doing further research and investigation as to the origins of this little wonder.

Edit: I have just now looked inside the Trackpad.prefPane Resources directory only to find two 7 MB instructional QuickTime videos on the use of the trackpad, apparently made by Apple. Removing said movies from preference pane's Resources reduces its size considerably to only 1.6 MB. So, on second thought, this does appear to be Apple's own modified trackpad preference pane after all. Also, it does successfully load from /Library/PreferencePanes/ directory.

Please disregard the previous Megashares link as here it is much smaller on the InsanelyMac forum own server:

Trackpad.prefPane.zip

New version which includes Slice's multimedia keys fix and the ivik high resolution trackpad fix (2400 dpi instead of 100).

Also the Tiger version is fixed, the nub for Tiger is dropped because of the allready available AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext in /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns.

@Slice: Could you test the driver on Tiger to be 100% sure it works? I have no Tiger testing platform...

New version which includes Slice's multimedia keys fix and the ivik high resolution trackpad fix (2400 dpi instead of 100).

Also the Tiger version is fixed, the nub for Tiger is dropped because of the allready available AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext in /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns.

@Slice: Could you test the driver on Tiger to be 100% sure it works? I have no Tiger testing platform...

Hi Andy Vandijck

Thanks for the correcting. Download and give test result.

Happy new year

Hi Andy Vandijck

Thanks for the correcting. Download and give test result.

Happy new year

Let me know if the mouse works smooth please (or if the setting is too high)...

Make sure to set the speed to max on the regular Apple Trackpad prefpane...

Initially the speed will be slow but after login it's great...

EDIT: Checked it myself...

the setting should only be set that way for Synaptics, not for the others (as there is no speed setting which will make it unfortunetely slow).

Uploading new version...

Update: Uploaded new version...

@DarwinX, I search forum and get some information about the Pane, look the picture, delete some items of the info.plist file can make a different.

post-459659-1293899118_thumb.png

Would you mind elaborating further on your point of the info.plist modification? Am I to understand that with the fore mentioned modifications, this Trackpad.prefPane wouldn't conflict with Apple's native Trackpad.prefPane? Thanks!

Let me know if the mouse works smooth please (or if the setting is too high)...

Make sure to set the speed to max...

EDIT: Checked it myself...

the setting should only be set that way for Synaptics, not for the others (as there is no speed setting which will make it unfortunetely slow).

Uploading new version...

Update: Uploaded new version...

With this VoodooPS2.prefPane version, the previous error: "ApplePS2SynapticsTouchPad not found" has resurfaced. That error is absent from Slice's version of this preference pane. Also, the previously fixed by Slice iTunes multimedia keys have returned to their previous, partially operational state; the pause/play key function yet again fails to implement.

Hi, I have installed it, first, keyboard.kext is not work well, can't use Ctrl+F12 or other Slice's multimedia keys, but I use this instead. Second, the trackpad.kext, as you said

the setting should only be set that way for Synaptics, not for the others
, I found the speed is slow ,even with the trackpad.prefPane setting. The smoothness and acceleration is better than before, I test on ALPS trackpad.

Would you mind elaborating further on your point of the info.plist modification? Am I to understand that with the fore mentioned modifications, this Trackpad.prefPane wouldn't conflict with Apple's native Trackpad.prefPane? Thanks!

I miss some modification about that, when i edit and reinstall to /S/L/P the trackpad.prefPane under 10.6.5 version, it can works well with the settings. like tracking speed and scroll speed. I mean after deleting those items it can be effect.

Hi, I have installed it, first, keyboard.kext is not work well, can't use Ctrl+F12 or other Slice's multimedia keys, but I use this instead. Second, the trackpad.kext, as you said , I found the speed is slow ,even with the trackpad.prefPane setting. The smoothness and acceleration is better than before, I test on ALPS trackpad.

According to Slice he just implemented following code (I think):

//Slice - additional keys
	0x0d, // following are 13 special keys
	0x04,0x39,  //caps lock
	0x05,0x72,  //NX_KEYTYPE_HELP is 5, ADB code is 0x72
	0x06,0x7f,  //NX_POWER_KEY is 6, ADB code is 0x7f
	0x07,0x4a,  //NX_KEYTYPE_MUTE is 7, ADB code is 0x4a
	0x00,0x48,  //NX_KEYTYPE_SOUND_UP is 0, ADB code is 0x48
	0x01,0x49,  //NX_KEYTYPE_SOUND_DOWN is 1, ADB code is 0x49
	// remove arrow keys as special keys. They are generating double up/down scroll events
	// in both carbon and coco apps.
	//0x08,0x7e,  //NX_UP_ARROW_KEY is 8, ADB is 3e raw, 7e virtual (KMAP)
	//0x09,0x7d,  //NX_DOWN_ARROW_KEY is 9, ADB is 0x3d raw, 7d virtual
	//Slice
	0x0d,0x50, //Launch Panel ?
	0x0f,0x4d, //VIDMIRROR
	0x10,0x34, //PLAY 
	0x11,0x42, //NEXT
	0x12,0x40, //PREVIOUS
	0x14,0x3f, //REWIND

//
	0x0a,0x47   //NX_KEYTYPE_NUM_LOCK is 10, ADB combines with CLEAR key for numlock

In defaultKeymapOfLength, put in appleUSAKeyMap

I implemented this so it should work.

AFAIK CTRL+F12 never worked with VoodooPS2...

Maybe Slice could take a look and see if I did it right...

Tiger's release in topic does not work.

Symbol PE_parse_boot_argn not found.

Use PE_parse_boot_arg always for Tiger instead.

EDITED:

The idea to port the driver into Tiger is wrong at initial

The nub always presents in Tiger as part of AppleACPIPlatform.kext, not as plugin but embedded. So we can't exclude it and VoodooPS2 even corrected to Tiger conflicts with ACPIPlatform. That's all.

Use existing ApplePS2Controller for Tiger.

My Synaptics trackpad works with Apple's driver and with Apple's prefPane. It supports tapping but have no scroll function. May be it worth to port some trackpad codes from Voodoo project back into Apple's one.

I fixed it for Tiger by replacing PE_parse_boot_argn with PE_parse_boot_arg (using #ifdef TIGER)

I also excluded the nub for Tiger so that it can work with the existing nub.

I also excluded for Tiger the new IRQ layout code (same as Snow Leopard version).

Could you also please verify if I implemented the multimedia keys code right (that I haven't missed anything).

Thanks for pointing these things out...

In defaultKeymapOfLength, put in appleUSAKeyMap

I implemented this so it should work.

AFAIK CTRL+F12 never worked with VoodooPS2...

Maybe Slice could take a look and see if I did it right...

I fixed it for Tiger by replacing PE_parse_boot_argn with PE_parse_boot_arg (using #ifdef TIGER)

I also excluded the nub for Tiger so that it can work with the existing nub.

I also excluded for Tiger the new IRQ layout code (same as Snow Leopard version).

Could you also please verify if I implemented the multimedia keys code right (that I haven't missed anything).

Thanks for pointing these things out...

In case you missed my earlier post edit: "With this VoodooPS2.prefPane version, the previous error: "ApplePS2SynapticsTouchPad not found" has resurfaced. That error is absent from Slice's version of this preference pane. Also, the previously fixed by Slice iTunes multimedia keys have returned to their previous, partially operational state; the pause/play key function yet again fails to implement."

In case you missed my earlier post edit: "With this VoodooPS2.prefPane version, the previous error: "ApplePS2SynapticsTouchPad not found" has resurfaced. That error is absent from Slice's version of this preference pane. Also, the previously fixed by Slice iTunes multimedia keys have returned to their previous, partially operational state; the pause/play key function yet again fails to implement."

Damn...

Slice should take a look at the current code.

Use Slice's VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext (put it under VoodooPS2Controller.kext/PlugIns) and use Slice's VoodooPS2.prefPane (that should fix it untill Slice can modify the code for me...)

EDIT: I think I found the issue...

Give me a little time to edit the code and I'll post results after...

DarwinX, download the new version from the first post.

The multimedia keys should now work (made a slight mistake on previous version).

If the prefpane doesn't work for you, use the one compiled by Slice (it didn't change so...)

Hi, I have installed it, first, keyboard.kext is not work well, can't use Ctrl+F12 or other Slice's multimedia keys, but I use this instead. Second, the trackpad.kext, as you said , I found the speed is slow ,even with the trackpad.prefPane setting. The smoothness and acceleration is better than before, I test on ALPS trackpad.

I fixed it, it works now...

Damn...

Slice should take a look at the current code.

Use Slice's VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext (put it under VoodooPS2Controller.kext/PlugIns) and use Slice's VoodooPS2.prefPane (that should fix it untill Slice can modify the code for me...)

EDIT: I think I found the issue...

Give me a little time to edit the code and I'll post results after...

DarwinX, download the new version from the first post.

The multimedia keys should now work (made a slight mistake on previous version).

If the prefpane doesn't work for you, use the one compiled by Slice (it didn't change so...)

No problemo, I already reverted to Slice's original modification of your VoodooPS2Controller.kext, it works as expected. As far as the preference panes, no VoodooPS2.prefPane has EVER worked for me, and yours is no exception to the rule. I'm using presumably modified Trackpad.prefPane which origins are thus far unknown to us. Of course, I have previously stated the latter. Thank You.

Hi Andy,

AFAIK as any of the voodoops2 versions I tried this still does not work for my trackpad, is recognized but dead.

The model of ALPS I have (E7: 0x73, 0x02, 0x64, E6: 0x00, 0x00, 0x64) has multitouch feature, and is a nightmare on any other OS then windows.

This model seems it use the 6-byte absolute protocol as I found on several patches for Linux as this one: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/l...25/comments/154

The only version that works for me, as mouse with tapping but no kind of scroll, is meklort NBI version.

This version of ALPS is used on Dell E2 series, my HP Mini 311, some Sony Vaio models, Toshiba and Acer One 7xx, if you can add support for it would be great!

Thanks!

Hi Andy,

AFAIK as any of the voodoops2 versions I tried this still does not work for my trackpad, is recognized but dead.

The model of ALPS I have (E7: 0x73, 0x02, 0x64, E6: 0x00, 0x00, 0x64) has multitouch feature, and is a nightmare on any other OS then windows.

This model seems it use the 6-byte absolute protocol as I found on several patches for Linux as this one: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/l...25/comments/154

The only version that works for me, as mouse with tapping but no kind of scroll, is meklort NBI version.

This version of ALPS is used on Dell E2 series, my HP Mini 311, some Sony Vaio models, Toshiba and Acer One 7xx, if you can add support for it would be great!

Thanks!

I could look into it when I have more time.

It would be great to have those fully supported...

THe KiNG

Your model (E7: 0x73, 0x02, 0x64, E6: 0x00, 0x00, 0x64) may be easy implemented. Look here

#define NUM_SINGLES 11
static int singles[NUM_SINGLES * 3] ={
	0x33,0x2,0x0a,
	0x53,0x2,0x0a,
	0x53,0x2,0x14,
	0x63,0x2,0xa,
	0x63,0x2,0x14,
	0x73,0x2,0x0a,	// 3622947
	0x63,0x2,0x28,
	0x63,0x2,0x3c,
	0x63,0x2,0x50,
	0x73,0x2,0x50,
	0x63,0x2,0x64};

Andy

Your new compilation works in Tiger after correcting dependencies. Not 9.0.0 but 8.0.0.

I have Synaptics on that notebook. And the driver gives toooo slow mouse movement. Resolution?

Also can't check here special keys cause there are not here.

Great, the smoothness and acceleration works so nice is close to Apple's trackpad, moving speed act very well, so as the acceleration. BTW Slice's multimedia keys works, too. But the prefPane is still have problem, like "ApplePS2SynapticsTouchPad not found".

So, thanks for all works this issue. :(:(