I finally own a real Mac... make that 2!

Swad

30 posts in this topic

I've never owned a Mac in my life. Ok, well, we did own an Apple ][ when I was kid, but that doesn't really count.

So about 2 years ago I got my grandma set up with a linux box so that she could do email, play solitaire, etc. I'm no linux guru so things like printers, etc, weren't always the easiest to get going (especially with an old Kubuntu distro). I found out that the old iMacs sell for really cheap, however, so I convinced my grandma to buy one. We got a iMac G3 400Mhz for around 90 bucks (shipped) on eBay, which is a great deal.

Then I was telling my dad about it, and he mentioned that he'd been wanting to get a computer for video editing. I've been working on him for awhile to get a Mac, so he agreed to look at some prices. So I just now won a 1.8 GHz G5 Powermac with 700 MB of RAM and a 160 gig HD for $686. I was pretty proud of myself. ;)

I'll let you know about them when I get them!

I've never owned a Mac in my life. Ok, well, we did own an Apple ][ when I was kid, but that doesn't really count.

So about 2 years ago I got my grandma set up with a linux box so that she could do email, play solitaire, etc. I'm no linux guru so things like printers, etc, weren't always the easiest to get going (especially with an old Kubuntu distro). I found out that the old iMacs sell for really cheap, however, so I convinced my grandma to buy one. We got a iMac G3 400Mhz for around 90 bucks (shipped) on eBay, which is a great deal.

Then I was telling my dad about it, and he mentioned that he'd been wanting to get a computer for video editing. I've been working on him for awhile to get a Mac, so he agreed to look at some prices. So I just now one a 1.8 GHz G5 Powermac with 700 MB of RAM and a 160 gig HD for $686. I was pretty proud of myself. :D

I'll let you know about them when I get them!

you got a powermac that cheap? where are you looking man?

One amazing thing about Macs is that they keep their value quite well... I buy a PC for gaming etc... almost every year (well, at least the guts of it) and the next year I get bored and sell it only to see what has happened to the prices of my 300+$ graphics card and I can't get 150$ for it even if I offered a lapdance with it...

My pal got a dual G4 1.25 two-three years ago and I totally messed with him saying he paid too much for slower hardware etc... and now I am sad to admit it is worth decent money even today, incredible. I never admitted to him that I was wrong anyway and that is the only consolation I get from the whole thing :)

If I remember correctly, P&P (isn't that britspeak for shipping?) was 40 on the Power Mac, free with the G3.

And let me tell you, the G3 is really pretty fast!!! I was really impressed. If I added some RAM, it would be better, but it's perfect for my grandma.

I'll have a full writeup of it all next week!

isn't that britspeak for shipping?
I thought everyone used that.

P&P = Postage and Packaging (put it in your dictionaries - so you all use 'shipping' (where's the ship - lol)?)

BTW Mash, I gotta ask, how old are you?

I ask because most people don't help out their grandmothers. Most people stop helping them the moment they don't have to.

Also the "Then I was telling my dad about it, .... I've been working on him for awhile to get a Mac, so he agreed to look at some prices"

Maybe it's just me, but these sound like what I would hear an 8-12 year old say and do ("come onnnn dad... its cool. all of my friends have one")

You clearly love your family, which is more than a lot of people do these days and it seems you do a lot for them to. That's all something you should be proud of.

But I’m just wondering.

Is Mash really a 10 year old boy (or girl - Mash emmm?) genius? Who manages this site (you do a lot of the work yourself) and has interesting and educated ideas and opinions?

Has anyone actually seen Mash? (don’t bother sending a picture of your older brother or dad)

Haha. Yeah AcePlayer, I'm 21. My Grandma is 82 and lives in the same town as my college, so I stay here during the summer. She also has pretty fast DSL, which is a plus. My parents live about 30 minutes away so I see them fairly often.

My family is pretty close and that's something I'm grateful for.

Ouch!Potato has seen me - we ate at a chinese buffet in Edinburgh, Scotland when I was studying in the UK this past semester. He can vouch for me. :D

Haha. Yeah AcePlayer, I'm 21. My Grandma is 82 and lives in the same town as my college, so I stay here during the summer. She also has pretty fast DSL, which is a plus. My parents live about 30 minutes away so I see them fairly often.

My family is pretty close and that's something I'm grateful for.

Ouch!Potato has seen me - we ate at a chinese buffet in Edinburgh, Scotland when I was studying in the UK this past semester. He can vouch for me. :compress:

I'm Facebook friends with Mash, which is pretty much like knowing each other, so I'll vouch for him as well! :whistle: Don't bother asking for names/schools for either of us, we won't give 'em out.

Firstly, what's a Facebook friends? Never heard that.

Mash you're 21, cool. So am I! A great age, huh? Feel sorry for all you old folks. lol.

So about 2 years ago I got my grandma set up with a linux box
You're 82 year old grandma sounds really into her Tec. She sounds cool. My 'grandmother' used to play games with us when we were young (Amiga - chaos engine). Now she just jokes around with us a lot.

Dude why Scotland? Why? Have to apologise for that place. Must have been raining all the time during your stay. Sorry. Rains in London too, but I’m sure it's better than lonely old Scotland (joking)

I just like making fun of Scotland for some reason. A mate mind went to visit his family a few years ago and I remember him coming back and telling me, "it doesn't rain all the time during summer". I was like "are you serious? Wow". I'm sure the place and people are cool. Them with their Haggis (No wonder you went Chinese).

Don't bother asking for names/schools for either of us, we won't give 'em out.
Naaa, don't need them. It's ok.

Just give me you credit card numbers and social security numbers (what can i do with that?). That will be enough proof for me. See, I’m easy.

Firstly, what's a Facebook friends? Never heard that.

Mash you're 21, cool. So am I! A great age, huh? Feel sorry for all you old folks. lol.

You're 82 year old grandma sounds really into her Tec. She sounds cool. My 'grandmother' used to play games with us when we were young (Amiga - chaos engine). Now she just jokes around with us a lot.

Dude why Scotland? Why? Have to apologise for that place. Must have been raining all the time during your stay. Sorry. Rains in London too, but I’m sure it's better than lonely old Scotland (joking)

I just like making fun of Scotland for some reason. A mate mind went to visit his family a few years ago and I remember him coming back and telling me, "it doesn't rain all the time during summer". I was like "are you serious? Wow". I'm sure the place and people are cool. Them with their Haggis (No wonder you went Chinese).

Naaa, don't need them. It's ok.

Just give me you credit card numbers and social security numbers (what can i do with that?). That will be enough proof for me. See, I’m easy.

I've noticed in the last few weeks, PowerPC based Mac prices have been tanking. I really beleive this is due to the fact that most people purchasing a Mac really would rather have an Intel based mac.

I say good for the guys that don't mind buying a PowerPC mac, you're going to get a great deal!

Yeah, they have been dropping.

BTW, I just picked up a MacBook for 950 shipped on eBay. Make that 3 Macs! :)

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Dude you need to stop now. Or else you're going to become broke. Yeah sure you'll have a Mac pyramid to show your mates but you won't be able to buy any food. And then this site is going to go down... fast.

But still, nice catch.