Get your UVC webcam working as Apple iSight

102 posts in this topic

today i buy the logitech c310 HD WEBCam 720p. it works in snow leopard OOB ...but only 640x480 resolution! can anybody help to get it works in HD 720p??

As of today, Logitech released their own drivers for the C910, and some people have said it works with c510, at least partially. You can check their site and see if it can help with your C310, and please let us know!

Here's the story on 9 to 5 Mac, with links to the files:

9 to 5 Mac - Logitech 1080P video now available for OS X

Nice work mate, cheers ;)

Built-in iSight:

Product ID: 0x213b

Vendor ID: 0x05ac (Apple Inc.)

Version: 4.35

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Apple Inc.

Location ID: 0xfa100000

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 500

I am as confused as quite a few others here... I opened the info.plist with textwrangler and there are no fewer than 6 idproduct and 6 idvendor keys... Which 3 of each do you change?

I changed them all and dropped the kext into kext utility rebooted and still have black screens on iChat Photo Booth and really all native apple apps. Skype is about the only thing that actually does work

Logitech C270 UVC I bought today because from what I read these newer models worked out of the box... maybe on Wndows but now on 10.6.5

Please can someone post a sample working kext and use highlighter to highlight what entries need be changed..

Thanks

Don't know what you're using to edit the plist, (it should be all the same, but using textedit is confusing) but using Pref Setter you just edit the ID's (under IOKitpersonalities) in the tree Fake built-ins ... Device, interface A and B. Not the ones under these tree IOproviderMergeproperties.

So again, under IOKitpersonalities there are tree forks (Fake built-ins something) these you edit. Don't edit the ones further inside on IOproviderMergeproperties.

I hope I'm clear, 'cose it's hard to describe and I don't have them here to give you a screenshot.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the logitech 310, how did you get it working? I modified the 3 id locations, and it detects the microphone, but not the camera. Also, the system profiler isnt changing.

I modified the kext, used kext help to install, repaired permissions, and stil nothing.

osx 10.6.6

product 2075

vendor 1133

UPDATE

Rolled back my IOUSBFamily and IOUSBMassStorage and it got it to detect it as an isight. But, it still didnt register in ichat, skype, maccam, anything else

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hy

I think the driver works only in 32bit

maybe that's the solution?

By my system the kext is working.

The only problem is that the microphone is not working with this kext.

Is there a solution for it?

Thx & Greetz

It works on my rig in x64.

post-185231-1300960131_thumb.png

Hi DarwinX,

Yes me too 64 bits.

There is information in system info but photo booth, msn, skype ect ect ... The webcam does not work with applications.

Webcam are not detected by applications:

webcam10.jpg

skype_10.jpg

photo_10.jpg

Why ?

Info.plist of kext:

CFBundleDevelopmentRegion
English
CFBundleIdentifier
com.AnV_Software.driver.AnyiSightCam
CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion
CFBundleName
AnyiSightCam
CFBundlePackageType
KEXT
CFBundleSignature
????
CFBundleVersion
IOKitPersonalities

Fake Built-in iSight Device

CFBundleIdentifier
		com.apple.driver.AppleUSBMergeNub
		IOClass
		AppleUSBMergeNub
		IOProviderClass
		IOUSBDevice
		IOProviderMergeProperties

kSuspendPort

bcdDevice
			USB Product Name
			Built-in iSight
			USB Vendor Name
			Apple Inc.
			USB Serial Number
			8JA1K2FC3DCLDA00
			non-removable
			yes
			idProduct
			idVendor
			iManufacturer
			iProduct
			iSerialNumber

idProduct
		idVendor

Fake Built-in iSight Interface A

CFBundleIdentifier
		IOClass
		AppleUSBMergeNub
		IOProviderClass
		IOUSBInterface

USB Interface Name
			Built-in iSight
			bcdDevice
			idProduct
			idVendor

bConfigurationValue
		bInterfaceNumber
		idProduct
		idVendor

Fake Built-in iSight Interface B

CFBundleIdentifier
		IOClass
		AppleUSBMergeNub
		IOProviderClass
		IOUSBInterface

bcdDevice
			idProduct
			idVendor

bConfigurationValue
		bInterfaceNumber
		idProduct
		idVendor

OSBundleRequired
Root

Thanks.

Hi DarwinX,

Yes me too 64 bits.

There is information in system info but photo booth, msn, skype ect ect ... The webcam does not work with applications.

Webcam are not detected by applications:

webcam10.jpg

skype_10.jpg

photo_10.jpg

Why ?

Info.plist of kext:

CFBundleDevelopmentRegion
English
CFBundleIdentifier
com.AnV_Software.driver.AnyiSightCam
CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion
CFBundleName
AnyiSightCam
CFBundlePackageType
KEXT
CFBundleSignature
????
CFBundleVersion
IOKitPersonalities

Fake Built-in iSight Device

CFBundleIdentifier
		IOClass
		AppleUSBMergeNub
		IOProviderClass
		IOUSBDevice

kSuspendPort

bcdDevice
			USB Product Name
			Built-in iSight
			USB Vendor Name
			Apple Inc.
			USB Serial Number
			8JA1K2FC3DCLDA00
			non-removable
			yes
			idProduct
			idVendor
			iManufacturer
			iProduct
			iSerialNumber

idProduct
		idVendor

Fake Built-in iSight Interface A

CFBundleIdentifier
		IOClass
		AppleUSBMergeNub
		IOProviderClass
		IOUSBInterface

USB Interface Name
			Built-in iSight
			bcdDevice
			idProduct
			idVendor

bConfigurationValue
		bInterfaceNumber
		idProduct
		idVendor

Fake Built-in iSight Interface B

CFBundleIdentifier
		IOClass
		AppleUSBMergeNub
		IOProviderClass
		IOUSBInterface

bcdDevice
			idProduct
			idVendor

bConfigurationValue
		bInterfaceNumber
		idProduct
		idVendor

OSBundleRequired
Root

Thanks.

Your cam is detected with usb 1.1 in your system, maybe thats the reason why it doesn´t work.

Is your cam not usb 2.0 ready or is the problem your computer????

Greetz

Your cam is detected with usb 1.1 in your system, maybe thats the reason why it doesn´t work.

Is your cam not usb 2.0 ready or is the problem your computer????

Greetz

Ok thanks Wastez,

You're right,my webcam supports that only usb 1.1.

Vimicro USB PC ZC0301PL

Not work for me this kext because my webcam only supports usb 1.1 and not uvc, the site builder says. :)

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Andy, could you be a little more specific on where to put the vendorid and productid. I've pull up the info.plist and see several idvendor and idproduct keys.

The zip file extracts on a Mac into a .kext driver bundle (a directory of files) inside the directory is a file called Info.plist

You can extract the file and drag the .kext bundle into /System/Library/Extensions (on Mac OS X 10.5.8).

Then open a terminal and travel there and into /AnyiSightCam.kext/Custom and perform chmod 644 Info.plist to make it editable.

Then edit the file with vi

The file contains three sections called

[Fake Built-in iSight Device]

[Fake Built-in iSight Interface A]

[Fake Built-in iSight Interface B]

Each section has a subsection called [iOProviderMergeProperties] do not change the idProduct and idVendor in these sections.

Following the [iOProviderMergeProperties] section in each of the originals sections is the actual idProduct and idVendor that needs to be changed. Its unintuitive but makes sense from an XML perspective. The [iOProviderMergeProperties] section is subsectioned by indentation, when it unindents the same section continues and then presents the idProduct and idVendor variables that need to be changed.

You can also search on Google for a free tool called "Pref Setter" which can edit the file for you if you first copy it out to a path where its visable to that tool for example / or /Users/<your user acct home> then use Pref Setter to edit it and copy it back.

After editing be sure to chmod 755 Info.plist to restore the permissions.

Yep , same question about diff to already working UVC Webcam as Videodevice (Quicktime device, generall Vudeidevice in normal Apps).

Not all apps are compatible with third party UVC cameras.

The orginal Mac video interface favored firewire cameras. Then the iSight firewire camera and finally the iSight UVC camera.

Quicktime, iPhoto and in some cases iChat have been updated more quickly than iMovie to recognize third party UVC cameras for video input. But those applications are not ideal for creating and editing video clips. The prefered tool for editing video clips is iMovie 09.

Quicktime Player also does not create new movie clips without upgrading to a licensed version of the player called Quicktime Pro, leaving a new user with fewer tools than they would normally have.

Also even if they wanted to upgrade to the next version of iMovie.

iMovie 2011 is not compatible with Mac OS X 10.5.8 so even if it does support a greater range of UVC cameras this is still a major fix for Leopard and possibly other versions of Mac OS X.

As of today, Logitech released their own drivers for the C910, and some people have said it works with c510, at least partially. You can check their site and see if it can help with your C310, and please let us know!

Here's the story on 9 to 5 Mac, with links to the files:

9 to 5 Mac - Logitech 1080P video now available for OS X

It does indeed partially work but is targeted for the larger sensor of the c910 which is wider than the Pro 9000. It's a bit clunky and unstable at times.

The Logitech authors, or the coders they inherited from the recent acquistion seem to still be wrestling with how to provide a generic tool for manipulating an extended UVC driver (kext).

Implict in some of the CameraControl article was a design that seems to say only one application can control the UVC at a time. Or that its not intuitive but that you don't have to open the UVC in order to reset some of its parameters. Whichever way this falls could mean things like iMovie, Quicktime Pro, iPhoto and iChat will have to be "extended" rather than "partnered" with stand alone autofocus and exposure apps.. or that "partnered" apps are possible.

They might also take the path of filters and let their private mangement app take control and offer a virtual UVC interface that other applications could use.

It's encouraging though that they say in the start up window for the Logitech Mac application that while not guaranteed to work for your Logitech Webcam.. it may work and they have plans to extended this application to work with more cams in the future.

The application can only be downloaded by going to the c910 support page and downloading for the Mac OS X operating system, so far no other webcam support page offers application or driver for the Mac OS X operating system except the c910.

This does not currently have Autofocus control, Exposure Control, Bright, Contrast, Hue or any other advanced control features. It has minimal resolution control from 320 to 640 to 2 MP but flipping between them is not smooth and hangs up in a weird state sometimes. For now the ControlCamera app is still the most stable way to do a few more advanced features.. and you can't run it at the same time as anthoer app.

• 3 weeks later...

HY

The kext works perfectly with my logitech webcam C910, but does not detect the microphone integrated into the usb webcam, logitech software instead of installing the microphone works.

I wish I had the iSight webcam with microphone working.

The webcam at the anysightcam kext works with all software, but the mic does not work.

With the software logitech mic works but not all software work.

Is there a kext or a change to the plist or whatever to enable

mic usb kext with andy?

TNX great work andy

by google translator

sorry :(

I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 with the Dell Integrated Webcam.

Product ID: 9792

Vendor ID: 1449

Once I added these numbers in the three locations in the Info.plist, the webcam was recognized as an internal iSight. Thanks very much for this driver.

• 1 month later...

I have a C910 that I just noticed isn't working anymore. It hasn't gotten any use since like 10.6.3 so I don't know if it was an update that broke the functionality.

AFAIK, it is still supposed to work OOB with OS X, seeing as it's UVC, so I'm confused why it'd stop working. Came across this topic while trying to find a solution. I also now see Logitech has their own software support for the C910 for OS X. Should I simply try this fix or Logitech's software? Which one would be best? I rather liked that it worked OOB before without having to install anything =/, if I can get back to that, I'd prefer to do so.

Edit: Appears to be working again, have no idea why. One of my original suspections is that it might be having trouble with the USB extension cable it's on, but I'm sure I've used the cam with it on. May or may not affect it, today it just started working again.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Don't work for me,why ?

isight10.jpg

:)

Same thing here... The kext does matches the device. Photobooth does not recognize my webcam now after installing the kext. Earlier Photobooth could turn on my webcam with black screen. Now it shows that no camera found...

• 1 month later...

Is there any news on this???

I have a Microsoft Lifecam VX-700 (UVC) that works OOB on PhotoBoot, iChat, Messenger and skype fine and I'd like to try this kext on Lion.

Is there a way to still use the built in mic while been used as an iSight????

Cheers!

EDIT:

Installed the kext and it works, but I lost sound completely! I mean, even output devices now don't work. I had to uninstall the kext and everything is back to normal.

• 3 weeks later...