• Please log in to reply
328 replies to this topic

ASUShift

ASUShift

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
So have we found out if Retail Snow Leopard can be installed on the R530? I have i3 2.26Ghz with the GeForce 310M. Great laptop. Would really be sweet if I could get Snow Leopard on it.

derekreid

derekreid

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Yes, you can definitely install Snow Leopard on the R530. The question is how limited the install will be.

The only problems I have with my R480 (same specs, different size screen I believe) is sleep and mic. I'm pretty hopeful I'll get these working eventually.

ASUShift

ASUShift

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
Which method should I go about doing it your way? I've done other ways before on other computers but this seems by far like it could be the simplest setup. I have the retail Snow Leopard disc they were selling about a year ago.

derekreid

derekreid

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Nawcom Mod CD and Retail.

MrZeroo00

MrZeroo00

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:Mac OS X :P !

So have we found out if Retail Snow Leopard can be installed on the R530? I have i3 2.26Ghz with the GeForce 310M. Great laptop. Would really be sweet if I could get Snow Leopard on it.

I have an R530 with a Core 2 Duo and the same graphic card, everything will work fine except sleep, look at the wiki, I have posted the install method and the complete kext needed for the R530.

derekreid

derekreid

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

any way to have sleep and webcam?

Love to know this too. I tried violet7's boot file, but I got immediate wakeup with everything but sound working. My webcam also works as well, so maybe that patched boot isn't working for me? Did you only use violet7's boot, or tweak your DSDT as well.

I've been trying to minimize my patching and get as vanilla as possible, I'm down to FakeSMC, VoodooHDA, VoodooBattery, and PS2 kexts. 10.6.5 vanilla kernel is working flawlessly thus far also. No need for NVEnabler, just use GraphicsEnabler.

Sleep, display brightness, and mic are all that are left...

ASUShift

ASUShift

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

I have an R530 with a Core 2 Duo and the same graphic card, everything will work fine except sleep, look at the wiki, I have posted the install method and the complete kext needed for the R530.

Link to wiki?
Did you use the retail Snow Leopard DVD bought from any Apple store?

derekreid

derekreid

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Here's his wiki submission: http://wiki.osx86pro.../Portables#R530

Distro's are a thing of the past though. Go retail.

ASUShift

ASUShift

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
Ok I used the nawcom CD. Then I popped in the Snow Leopard Install DVD (Retail) and hit enter. The computer just restarted after a few seconds of loading. Am I missing something? AHCI is set to manual (enabled).

crencom

crencom

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Ok I used the nawcom CD. Then I popped in the Snow Leopard Install DVD (Retail) and hit enter. The computer just restarted after a few seconds of loading. Am I missing something? AHCI is set to manual (enabled).

The same thing happened to me with that boot cd. Couldn't get it to boot. Use the new ##### cd and boot with -v -x. I posted how i did it a few posts up in this thread.

s

ASUShift

ASUShift

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
Got close but didn't work. My BIOS settings are probably not configured right and/or maybe we have a different BIOS. More help is appreciated. I've tried nawcom and ##### now with ##### getting close.

janek202

janek202

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 310 posts
I have R510 (GeForce 9200M GS), and I found a way to control brightness. Thanks to nvclock and SmartDimmer I can change it using terminal.

The only thing I don't know how to fix is the sleep. First time it sleeps and wakes right, but the second time fans don't stop.

I modified DSDT to fix RTC, USB, PowerManagement, and disable Lid Sleep.
Kexts I used:
AHCIPortInjector.kext, AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext, fakesmc.kext, mapMemoryDriver.kext, VoodooPS2Controller.kext, VoodooBattery.kext, VoodooHDA.kext.

derekreid

derekreid

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Hibernate works thanks to Maldon! I have to do some more testing, but he patched the DSDT for my R480 and it looks like hibernate is working.

Using Chameleon 2 RC5 rev. 650, hibernatemode 1, and I disabled Legacy USB in BIOS (going to test if that matters tomorrow). Sound crackles after waking, looking to fix that as well.

I assume this DSDT should work with the R series machines with nearly identical hardware.

Attached Files

unnnamed

unnnamed

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Hibernate works thanks to Maldon! I have to do some more testing, but he patched the DSDT for my R480 and it looks like hibernate is working.

Using Chameleon 2 RC5 rev. 650, hibernatemode 1, and I disabled Legacy USB in BIOS (going to test if that matters tomorrow). Sound crackles after waking, looking to fix that as well.

I assume this DSDT should work with the R series machines with nearly identical hardware.

Yes, fine for my R580. Thanks very much, now everything is fully working. Only the brightness keys do not work but I don´t mind this

Murrfk

Murrfk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
I have a R530 With nvidia 310 Graphics. I could NOT get ##### to work although I have a retail dvd and would prefer to use it. It would come up with an error that appeared to be related to ACHI, although I had this manually enabled. If anyone has clear instructions on how to use ##### with this particular model, I would love to hear about it.

I am trying Iatkos s3 v2. I would also appreciate if someone would provide the particular options that should be set or removed to install. I have tried it twice and both times, when I am about 3/4 done, the machine reboots. Hopefully I can get this to go.

EDIT: Okay...this appears to install although it looks like a bunch is still waiting to install. It isn't. So when it reboots with about 25% remaining, it IS installed. However after installing Iatkos I cannot restart the computer. I get the grey screen of death fairly quickly. I will try again tonight but if anyone has any insight or guidance it would be most appreciated.

ASUShift

ASUShift

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
Good to know someone is working on my model lol.

derekreid

derekreid

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

I have a R530 With nvidia 310 Graphics. I could NOT get ##### to work although I have a retail dvd and would prefer to use it. It would come up with an error that appeared to be related to ACHI, although I had this manually enabled. If anyone has clear instructions on how to use ##### with this particular model, I would love to hear about it.

I am trying Iatkos s3 v2. I would also appreciate if someone would provide the particular options that should be set or removed to install. I have tried it twice and both times, when I am about 3/4 done, the machine reboots. Hopefully I can get this to go.

EDIT: Okay...this appears to install although it looks like a bunch is still waiting to install. It isn't. So when it reboots with about 25% remaining, it IS installed. However after installing Iatkos I cannot restart the computer. I get the grey screen of death fairly quickly. I will try again tonight but if anyone has any insight or guidance it would be most appreciated.

I would try to get your retail disc to install. Try nawcom's boot CD (google it) rather than the iAtkos.

Murrfk

Murrfk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

I would try to get your retail disc to install. Try nawcom's boot CD (google it) rather than the iAtkos.

I will try that and report back. The message I am getting with ##### is:
"Unable to find driver for this platform: ACPI".

EDIT: I can now boot into OSX in safe mode. I was able to install using Nawcom MOD CD but have not figured out how to upgrade ot 10.6.5. #####?
EDIT2: I think I have success. I used the NawCOM MOD CD to get it installed, then I had to boot AGAIN from the NawCOM CD using the new operating system AND -X on boot (second boot from the OSX installation) and then go into Boot.plist in the extras folder and change Legacy_kernel to MACH_kernel, because I kept getting could not find legacy_kernel errors. Then I installed the YUKON2 ethernet kext. Then I ran #####, did an upgrade to 10.6.5 and installed ##### ONLY addiing voodooaudio 2.5.6. Then I installed IO80211Family kext for wireless. Haven't checked everything but it is booting fine.

ASUShift

ASUShift

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
Which OSX? Are you using iAtkos or Retail? And what did you do to boot into the installer, -x? Kexts? What did you do in your BIOS?

Murrfk

Murrfk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
I used Nawcom, which requires a retail DVD. You use the nawcom to get the retail to install. See the nawcom site for details. #####, which does the same thing, would NOT work for me. If you don't know what kexts are, you likely need to step away from the machine. Bios needs to be set to ACHI manual.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy