Snow Leopard Graphics Update 1.0

143 posts in this topic

Working fine after installing in 32bit mode (x32 bootflag) via software update.

How come though most of the time when I install updates (that affect kexts) in 64bit Mac panics on me.

When I install in 32bit all is ok.

Any idea lads?

Working fine after installing in 32bit mode (x32 bootflag) via software update.

How come though most of the time when I install updates (that affect kexts) in 64bit Mac panics on me.

When I install in 32bit all is ok.

Any idea lads?

Please boot with the -v flag and tell us the output

Hi bud,

When repairing permissions in 32bit mode the 64bit install works fine so it wont post the panic anymore.

I do think it was related to IOstorage kext (or something) which is odd since this is not GFX related.

Personaly I think its a permissions issue with kexts within 64bit. Even running kext utility can panic my install. Again 32bit works fine.

The update doesn't fix the MacPro4,1 GTX 285's degraded performance introduced by 10.6.4.

I seem to have gotten a boost in my GTX 285 stats, almost back to 10.6.3 level. I can actually play starcract II again and now I dont have to cripple the graphics, all ultra again.

Hmm, seems to be conflicting reports even with the same GFX card/mobo (same as I have).

Presumably I can just change my systems type to back MacPro3,1 to maintain the work around I have now?

Cheers

Jon

Hmm, seems to be conflicting reports even with the same GFX card/mobo (same as I have).

Presumably I can just change my systems type to back MacPro3,1 to maintain the work around I have now?

Cheers

Jon

Hmm not sure why its not working for d00d.

Heres a screeny of my backup 10.6.3 system as a MacPro4,1

post-534937-1282269858_thumb.png

and then heres my main system as a MacPro4,1

post-534937-1282269886_thumb.png

Im using a similar setup as d00d, but using CruiSAr's method Here

Is there any case in which this update should not be installed on a hackintosh?

I mean does this affect for example the edited strings in my com.apple.boot.plist which I need for my GTX260 to work?

I would really like to play Starcraft in better quality but first I want to make sure that I won't kill my system.

Many thanks

Herb

UPDATE:

I installed the Graphics Update without any problems (so far).

Hmm not sure why its not working for d00d.

Heres a screeny of my backup 10.6.3 system as a MacPro4,1

post-534937-1282269858_thumb.png

and then heres my main system as a MacPro4,1

post-534937-1282269886_thumb.png

Im using a similar setup as d00d, but using CruiSAr's method Here

I'm using a PC BIOS Gigabyte GTX 285, is your EVGA GTX 285 the Mac or PC BIOS version?

Is there any case in which this update should not be installed on a hackintosh?

I mean does this affect for example the edited strings in my com.apple.boot.plist which I need for my GTX260 to work?

I would really like to play Starcraft in better quality but first I want to make sure that I won't kill my system.

Well, it killed mine and i'd like to know how to revert it using single-mode only. Currently, after intaling that update i can't get desktop to work at all, loginserver crashes all the time even tho nvidia driver (using zotac 9300 mainboard with GeForce 9300 GPU) loads just fine according to logs.

I updated it for Starcraft 2 and even though I haven't had time to play a lot yet, I was able to load it in Ultra everything at 1920x1200 and it ran very smoothly (would not even run before without being super choppy).

I'm concerned about what the other guy said about instability, I guess only way to find out is to go home tonight and play some. Will update if I see any issues - but so far, it looks great. Starcraft is definitely much more beautiful at Ultra than on normal.

My rig is a 3 monitor setup so there is a custom graphics string, didn't seem to affect my computer's ability to boot with 3 monitors or load up QE/CI (only test I ran was to see if Flutter screensaver still worked).

dave

my CUDA report must update the latest software but nothing newer in the official site…NV9600GT works fine with the new driver included in the Graphics Update (before is 19.5.8f03) ……

sesudah.jpg

*installed in my Snow Leopard Server 10.6.4 64bit

some results of my second hackintosh machine

GA-EP43-UD3L, 2.4Ghz Core2Duo, 4GB 677, Nvidia GeForce GT240, OS = 64bit

Test App CINEBENCH 11.5

before the update

OpenGL = 18.50

CPU =1.29

After update

OpenGL = 18.65

CPU = 1.30

over clocked to 2.93Ghz

OpenGL = 21.32

CPU = 1.56

The update does make the OS look crisper but no measurable improvement

I'm using a PC BIOS Gigabyte GTX 285, is your EVGA GTX 285 the Mac or PC BIOS version?

Im using a bone stock PC EVGA 285 with graphics string in my boot.plist

Im not sure of any instability issues. I played SC2 last night for about an hour without a hick up, but each system/setup is a balance of different factors.

Going from 10.6.3 to 10.6.4 with the Graphics Update improved FPS scores in Open GL Extension Viewer by ~20 fps for each test. However, there was a noticeable slowdown in the responsiveness of Finder, playback of video in VLC, as well as viewport interaction in Maya (2011 Hotfix2). I reverted to 10.6.3 and everything is back to normal. I run a Geforce 9800GTX 512.

This update appears to fix the Flicker of Death that plagues some users of 10.6.4 and Adobe/Autodesk products (see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uoo-B3PeyBc).