Snow Leopard on a Gateway NV53

elalan5

173 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...
jrobinson...the wifi should work out-of the box in snow leopard!!! tell me how u isntalled Snow LEopard in urs...

Hi..Looking for help with dual boot question..If my Windows 7 was OEM..no disk(with my NV53)..how do I backup win7 in this condition before I start my partioning? I need a disk of Win7 right and SL ?? right?

Thank you SO MUCH for this guide. I'd gone through so much bull trying to get this to work, and I'm finally happily on SL. A few questions though, if you're still around:

1) Can I upgrade to 10.6.3 safely, and if so, how do I do it without f'ing things up?

2) Anyone got the volume touch pad working? It interacts with OS X, but doesn't do it's job.

3) I got the transparent menubar working with different themes, anyway to get native OS X theme to use it?

I tried your guide (installation via usb since I was dual booting), and the install went fine. However, the only thing that's not working are the keyboard and trackpad. The only way I can use the system is if I attach an external keyboard and mouse. Is there any way that I can get my newly installed Snow Leopard system to recognize the trackpad and keyboard of my Gateway NV53 laptop (rather than having to use external devices)?

• 2 weeks later...

sorry guys...ive been really buisy in school... ill answer all your question on the weekend.. .cheers!

• 1 month later...

Great Tutorial. I have run into a few problems. I have got mostly everything working. I am tempted just to ditch Mac on my laptop, go to Windows, and stay on it. But, If I can get everything working, I will stay with Mac. If not, welcome back Windows 7.

1.) Screen Res stays at 1024 x 768, not 1366 x 768

2.) Sound keeps crashing with Photobooth Open

3.) I used the Boot-Loader you talked about, and when I go to boot up Mac OS X, I get a kernel panic. The last thing the terminal- like thing is the System Uptime in Nanoseconds. I can use Empire EFI, and boot up fine. But, I can't bring a CD with me 24/7 (My DVD drive is REALLY loud).

4.) It says I have 1GB DDR2 667MHz RAM

5.) I had to delete everything off my HDD (Yes, the hidden recovery partition, but luckly I ordered the recovery DVD's from Gateway) and get rid of MBR? I can't dual boot Mac and Windows.

Gateway NV5378u

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

fix sound choppiness... no need for photobooth.

1. Open /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist in text edit

2. add

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>idlehalt=0</string>

3. Save to desktop then drag in to /Extra/ folder and authenticate.

4. Restart

Apparently if you look at Activity monitor you will see that photobooth is using 100% of cpu, that means short battery life and high heat. Follow the steps above to fix it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, there is a question that I have been longing to ask you. I've too been looking to install Snow Leopard on my Gateway NV53 but I really don't know if it's worth it. I'm not so much a noob, but I really have no experience in Hackintoshing. My first concerns are I don't have an actual mac, no external hard-drive to save the Snow Leopard IMG, or DVD's that hold enough space to burn the Snow Leopard IMG onto, I only have a couple of DVD's they are 4.7GB each, and an 8GB Flash Drive. But that's not really the problem, The problem is that I have another computer, it's a Desktop running Windows 7, not Mac. And I have not a Mac to use the Disk Utility. On the Laptop that I wish to Hackintosh I have Windows 7 installed as the primary Operating System, and I wish to keep it and dual boot with Snow Leopard. I want to install Snow Leopard in a way so that I can keep Windows 7 as the primary OS and have Mac OS X to play around with.

I know that you've laid out the instructions on the first page of this topic but I just want to get everything right without bricking my laptop or doing something stupid, I think that getting a customized will serve me better.

Anyways It'd be great if you were to answer me as this is something that I would really love to do.

Thanks in Advanced,

Christian Salas

P.S: Did I mention that I'm 17?

My Specs: Gateway NV53

Processor: AMD Athlon II X2 M300 @ 2.00GHz

Ram:3GB DDR2

HDD: 500GB

Screen:15.6" 16:9 LED HD @ 1366x768

Built in Webcam with Mic

• 4 months later...

First off thanks for the tutorial! I have been looking to do this to my NV53 and its a very good step by step tutorial. Im installing this on NV53 as a full installation and no as a dual boot system.

Unfortunately I ran into a few problems.

1. After installing Snow Leopard and tried installing the mach kernel, Im getting an error that the file is invisible and can't be installed. I tried making the file visible and tried the command below with no luck.

Open Terminal and copy/paste this into it:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE; killall Finder

Then hit Return to execute.

2. After trying to install the kernel I installed chameleon. After installing chameleon and pressing enter to boot OSX the system reboots. I can't make out what the error is but it reboots every time I press enter to boot it. I have to use the EFI disk I made to boot to OSx.

3. I searched the extensions folder and didn't find the Radeon.kext file so I added the file and then ran the kext utility per the tutorial. But I got error saying that it could not be installed. Instead I open the Radeon.kext file with the kext utility and it installed fine. After installing it and rebooting my system I dont have mouse pointer anymore instead I have two pixelated lines as a pointer.

post-805706-1307042618_thumb.jpg

post-805706-1307042636_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Some one any one??????

all you need to do is follow that one last step about ....

*27.Run Terminal and copy this into it: sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/RadeonHD.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Find

QUOTE <key>enableHWCursor</key>

<true/>

and change it to

QUOTE <key>enableHWCursor</key>

<false/>

Then run kext utility again to repair the permissions and reboot. You h=should have full res video, and good audio quality with Photo Booth.

Hey I install before, but this time I want to preserve my windows partition...

When I go to add the files to the Snow leo install USB windows can't read it, how do I put the files on?

thanks

• 2 months later...
fix sound choppiness... no need for photobooth.

1. Open /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist in text edit

2. add

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>idlehalt=0</string>

3. Save to desktop then drag in to /Extra/ folder and authenticate.

4. Restart

Apparently if you look at Activity monitor you will see that photobooth is using 100% of cpu, that means short battery life and high heat. Follow the steps above to fix it.

This did work for me once but not now on 10.6.6

I had tried the photobooth trick but that hadn't worked then. But now that my Photobooth webcam is working this does work.

Gateway NV53: ADM M300CPU

ATIHD4200-working with Dong's kext

Atheros wifi- working

Lan- working, BCM5722D

Webcam-working

Audio-works properly using photobooth otherwise its choppy. Using VoodoHDA

• 6 months later...

I know this is a huge bump. So I got everything working and it boots. I installed mach_kernel with OSx86 Tools v1.5. I installed chameleon, then it panicked instantly at boot. So I booted with Empire EFI, v1.085 Experimental and installed myHack. It booted fine. BUT! Now the keyboard does not work. I used the 10.6.3 retail disc I own. So I reinstalled Chameleon on top of myHack, and it boots. I still get the myHack bootloader, but the kexts now work. I have full resolution and all.

The only problem I am having is that I cannot use the Keyboard and TrackPad. Any fixes?

• 2 weeks later...

I am very very new to hackintosh. Been reading this forum for a few days now. I own a Gateway NV53 and also decided to dual boot Windows 7 and OS X. There are a few things I need to clarify before proceding.

1. How much HDD space does OS X take? My current HDD is 500G, is 250G enough?

2. How to get rid of the Gateway recovery partition without erasing my existing windows data?

3. I have down loaded the Empire EFI, do I just burn the .iso onto a disk and boot with it?

I have also read from other sites about M u l t i B e a s t , how do I use that or do I have to use that at all?

Thanks in advance. :)

Wow, its bee a while since I last looked at this thread! I can't believe so many of you actually own that laptop. Im sorry if I didn't answer questions before. This was partly due to my increase in university homework and other personal reasons ( including a new hackintosh to work with :P) In the coming week I'll update this post to solve many of the problems and probably update it up until Lion as soon as the new legacy kernel comes out. I'm sorry for the delay and so many frustration, and thank all of you guys who helped in my absence n.n

• Like 1

I also saw from another site that someone actually managed to put 10.6.7 on their NV53.

I am planning to tackle this tomorrow. Hopefully by following what you'd posted will help me through the setup.

I have been a Windows guy for many many years and this is the first time I am in contact with Mac OS. So please bare with me if I ask any stupid questions. Thanks. :)

I managed to install 10.6.7 onto my NV53 after lots of work.

Now the problem I am encountering is poor battery life. When I was using Windows 7, I can squeeze about 2:30 hours on one single charge. Now with the SL installed, my battery is draining like crazy. Average 1% per 1min!!!

Can anyone help??

• 2 months later...

I managed to install 10.6.7 onto my NV53 after lots of work.

Now the problem I am encountering is poor battery life. When I was using Windows 7, I can squeeze about 2:30 hours on one single charge. Now with the SL installed, my battery is draining like crazy. Average 1% per 1min!!!

Can anyone help??

Have you tried the VoodooPState.kext? I also have the NV53 with 10.6.7 and this kext will sucessfully control the power state of the cpu which really helps with batt. life. I am getting a little over two hours with it. While not as good as my Ubuntu install its not bad either.

• 2 weeks later...