Snow Leopard on a Gateway NV53

elalan5

173 posts in this topic

by the way IM 3LITE, did you buy everything already?

No i havent bought everything yet, i know the DVD's im going to buy, and ima buy a new 16gb memory stick too since i need one anywheys, and i dant download untill the 23'rd cause my bandwidth is maxed out, so i downloaded all the files but the COMBO pack and the link you sent me, and im buying everything so im ready to go on the 23rd, so just remember, on the 23'rd theres going to be alot of questions asked in this topic

Still nothing. Ive got the Gateway NV5378u, is that the same as yours?

I think I have to re-do everything. Just a question, why do you have to do the combo upgrade and amd kernel patch?

Gateway NV5378u?

i dont think ours are like that man, i know mines the exact same as elalans except for the HDD and RAm, but mine is just NV53 NOT Gateway NV5378u

hey by the way im extracted the empire efi ZIP cause ima burn it right now, and it has 2 iso's, just burn those to 2 different disc's? and if so when do i use the different 2's

Still nothing. Ive got the Gateway NV5378u, is that the same as yours?

I think I have to re-do everything. Just a question, why do you have to do the combo upgrade and amd kernel patch?

well when i made the guide, i couldnt find a kernel for 10.6, so you wouldnt have to boot with empire efi, but i bearly found the right kernel HERE....if you ant to start again, do it....and then just skip the combo upgrade and the kernel patch and install the files on the link.

Oh yes, mine is the NV5378u, they are the same

No i havent bought everything yet, i know the DVD's im going to buy, and ima buy a new 16gb memory stick too since i need one anywheys, and i dant download untill the 23'rd cause my bandwidth is maxed out, so i downloaded all the files but the COMBO pack and the link you sent me, and im buying everything so im ready to go on the 23rd, so just remember, on the 23'rd theres going to be alot of questions asked in this topic

Gateway NV5378u?

i dont think ours are like that man, i know mines the exact same as elalans except for the HDD and RAm, but mine is just NV53 NOT Gateway NV5378u

hey by the way im extracted the empire efi ZIP cause ima burn it right now, and it has 2 iso's, just burn those to 2 different disc's? and if so when do i use the different 2's

jst download this Empire Efi HERE

ok so i dont need the link in the origional tutorial?....should i download that kernel also instead of the one i have from the tutorial?

Also mines a NV5370H, does that matter?

well when i made the guide, i couldnt find a kernel for 10.6, so you wouldnt have to boot with empire efi, but i bearly found the right kernel HERE....if you ant to start again, do it....and then just skip the combo upgrade and the kernel patch and install the files on the link.

Okay Ill let you know. YOU ARE THE BEST! Thanks a lot.

Also, I found out something, when you edit the info.plist file of the radeon kext, you have to rebuild the cache again using kext utility before you restart, otherwise its still a block of colors.

Ill let you know how it goes after i redo everything

IM 3LITE, yours is the same as ours...im pretty sure, and yes download the kernel i just posted.... i will modify the guide once both of you tell me you have been succesful... and also i changed both the Empire Efi links, just download the one i linked right now.

jemisec1: oh yeah sorry about that i forgot u had to do that, i ll modify the guide once the both of you are done installing it.... so was your install succesful?

IM 3LITE, yours is the same as ours...im pretty sure, and yes download the kernel i just posted.... i will modify the guide once both of you tell me you have been succesful... and also i changed both the Empire Efi links, just download the one i linked right now.

jemisec1: oh yeah sorry about that i forgot u had to do that, i ll modify the guide once the both of you are done installing it.... so was your install succesful?

The minimize and open animations seem a little choppy, is it really that way with the latest from dong's script?

Also, did you get the touch volume controls to work? It works, but I cant seem to lower the volume without going to the system prefs.

mines a NV5370h not NV5378u, i dont know if that matters thou (hopefully not)

ok i just read about your computer.... it should work fine, everything is the same except fro the ram and hdd.

The minimize and open animations seem a little choppy, is it really that way with the latest from dong's script?

Also, did you get the touch volume controls to work? It works, but I cant seem to lower the volume without going to the system prefs.

yeah, thats something else, the touch buttons work, but to lower the audio you have to lower it through system preferences..... so you were succesfull? did the kernel work?

And the animationsa re choppy since our video card doesn,t support QE/CI which is need to do alot of animation stuff in Mac OSX

hey so i just need that kernel now? i dont need to have that combo updater, cause i dont see it going from a 400mb file down to only needing 4mb?

yeah you dont need the combo updater, i just updated the guide... just download the kernel i posted butwait a little bit becaus ei have to change it a litttle bit, i had to rename the kernel to just be able to drag and drop..... download the kernel from HERE... when u install it just drag and drop it into the rrot of your Snow LEo HDD and click replace when prompted

k sweet that makes things alot easier.

**edit

hey by the way, reading through the new post shouldnt step #5 be like the first one to let people who have origional DVD to know to do that before they install, im just sayin, you make them boot up and then tell them "oh yeah if you have origional you have to patch" shouldnt you say that at the start so they dont have to stop, go do it, then come back?

also with the link you gave me, i need to patch that too right?

which link? the one i pm you? if its the on i pm, then yes... u do have to patch it the same way through the usb process.

which link? the one i pm you? if its the on i pm, then yes... u do have to patch it the same way through the usb process.

yes, the one you PM'd me, ok ill patch it..thanks

hey i didnt mean to critisize you on the post man i just thought it would be easier for someone new coming into this topic to read that at the start instead of in the middle.

yes, the one you PM'd me, ok ill patch it..thanks

hey i didnt mean to critisize you on the post man i just thought it would be easier for someone new coming into this topic to read that at the start instead of in the middle.

yeah don't worry..actaully it was a very good point!!! ahah, i updated the guide already with your suggestion!! thnx alot!!

jemisec1: did everything for u? did the kernel work? did the audio work? did the photo booth method work? GIVE ME SOME INFO PLZ!!!!

yeah don't worry..actaully it was a very good point!!! ahah, i updated the guide already with your suggestion!! thnx alot!!

jemisec1: did everything for u? did the kernel work? did the audio work? did the photo booth method work? GIVE ME SOME INFO PLZ!!!!

Something went wrong when I did the reinstall on my other partition, so I decided to figure out whats wrong with the 10.6.2 install. Apparently, the problem was the boot loader Chameleon, are you sure thats the version that worked for you?

I installed the chameleon hack from the empire efi disc (in the post installation folder), the one with the Storm Trooper icon, and I was able to fix radeon with that but no keyboard and touchpad. I had to reboot using empire efi disc again (which btw can only recognize up to 1GB of RAM) just to get the kexts for those and install those using the storm trooper boot (which can recognize the whole 4GB RAM), which I noticed was a lower version of chameleon than the one posted in your link.

Bottomline, I got everything to work under 10.6.2, except for the choppy graphics and audio. The photobooth trick didnt work by the way. And any movie you try to watch is like having 5 FPS, very choppy.

I hope there'd be a newer kext for the radeon. That is the problem right?

Something went wrong when I did the reinstall on my other partition, so I decided to figure out whats wrong with the 10.6.2 install. Apparently, the problem was the boot loader Chameleon, are you sure thats the version that worked for you?

I installed the chameleon hack from the empire efi disc (in the post installation folder), the one with the Storm Trooper icon, and I was able to fix radeon with that but no keyboard and touchpad. I had to reboot using empire efi disc again (which btw can only recognize up to 1GB of RAM) just to get the kexts for those and install those using the storm trooper boot (which can recognize the whole 4GB RAM), which I noticed was a lower version of chameleon than the one posted in your link.

Bottomline, I got everything to work under 10.6.2, except for the choppy graphics and audio. The photobooth trick didnt work by the way. And any movie you try to watch is like having 5 FPS, very choppy.

I hope there'd be a newer kext for the radeon. That is the problem right?

are u sure about the Photo Booth? ur not supposed to minimize it, just over-window it, that worked very well with mine!!

are u sure about the Photo Booth? ur not supposed to minimize it, just over-window it, that worked very well with mine!!

Oh yeah, it works! So photo booth is just running in one of my spaces. Thats weird. Is there no other kext for conexant audio?

I've been looking around for a better kext for ati radeonhd 4200. Is the one from dong really the only one out there?

ok guys...my brother just messed up my mac partition so im starting from scratch, i will use my own guide to see if it works, i will follow some of the suggestions by jesmic1 and see whats the outcome....

Oh yeah, it works! So photo booth is just running in one of my spaces. Thats weird. Is there no other kext for conexant audio?

I've been looking around for a better kext for ati radeonhd 4200. Is the one from dong really the only one out there?

yeah!! kinda weird huh? ahahah but still...our cards are not supported by the Snow Leo OSX, there are no 100% working kext for the conexant audio, and no ATI Radeon 4200 HD kext exist..... Netkas has kexts for other ATI Radeon HD cards, but im not sure those work....jesmic1, if u want to try them out, just google netkas and they should com up!!!

Well Jemisec1 had success with the installation, jasonf said he was 90% done, he had succesfully booted, so that means it works, by the way IM 3LITE, i just modified the guide once again, so read through it!!! sorry, im just trying to make it fail-proof.

so you bought everything already? or is it still until the 23?

23'rd but ima try and boot empire efi, WTF i cant boot from it, i restart my PC with the Disc in and it gets to the BIOS page, do i hit anything? cause nothing loads up

yes u need to hit f12 immediatley after u turn it on, then select the dvd drive...i think it says something with Optiarc DVD-rw