[Guide] P6X58D Premium. Retail 10.6.4 Install. :)

• Please log in to reply
246 replies to this topic

gdawg33

gdawg33

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I followed the instructions but it didn't help and I also have HD audio enabled in the bios have set front panel to hd audio. I'm going to order a sound card that will work and just use that instead

kup

kup

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

BOOYAH!

Thank you Kup! I really appreciate all your efforts putting this together. I spent MANY hours messing with other methods before finding this post. I was up until 4:00 am earlier this week trying to get this thing to boot OSX.

Your installation worked fantastically.

I did have a the audio issue, but that was fixed by your suggestion.

My kids were FREAKED out when they saw my screen yesterday. They were like "Hey, I thought you had a PC. THAT'S A MAC!" Yeah! Who's cool, now? Yeah... that's right. Dad is!

I am so thankful for your solution. I wish I could buy a 6 pack for you.

Seriously. I was on another site and I saw where some guy offered $75 if someone could help him get a Hackintosh working. I am not about to spend that kind of cash. But, I would love to send you an iTunes or Amazon gift card or something as a sign of my appreciation. Can you PM me with your email?

My machine is running fantastically, except one issue. It doesn't wake from sleep. I am guessing that probably has something to do with my BIOS settings being wrong (I reset them a few times, and might not have the exact same settings you suggested. Maybe APCI?)

Also, I am still running my machine at stock stetting. I want to overclock it. Would it be possible for you to share or upload some pics of your BIOS settings. Or suggest someplace where I might find some overclocking guidance. That would be totally awesome. There are tons of places out there on the web talking about OC. But, it's hard to separate the chaff.

I might also add a suggestion for cooling. I have been running the Corsair H50 liquid cooler. It's awesome. Simple, quiet, and cool. I give it two thumbs up. Fry's had it on sale a couple weeks ago for $60. It gets great reviews and it's easy to install.

Thanks again!
Eric

Hey Eric,
I'm really glad it worked for you. I appreciate your kind gesture but I couldn't possibly accept. The work here is for and by so many people I couldn't take sole credit. ;)
But thank you. :)

On the subject of overclocking, you could try XtremeSystems or my site, Redline-Redux.com, is full of friendly overclockers. :)

Eric714

Eric714

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 3 posts

Hey Eric,
I'm really glad it worked for you. I appreciate your kind gesture but I couldn't possibly accept. The work here is for and by so many people I couldn't take sole credit. :D
But thank you. :D

Fine! You'll just have to take a virtual 6-pack and my sincere appreciation.

I made a donation to InsanelyMac. I needed to express my thanks to someone.

On the subject of overclocking, you could try XtremeSystems or my site, Redline-Redux.com, is full of friendly overclockers. :)

Thanks! I will check them out.

kup

kup

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Brilliant stuff. :(

scotthooker

scotthooker

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Really wanted to try and avoided posting a question but after trying different boot132's and reading all posts I am stuck!

I have P6X58D-E running Intel 930 all at stock

Tried several times with different Boot132's including the 'MARS' one attached to the first post in this thread however whenever I restart and boot from it, remove the cd and insert my snow leopard CD I get a 'EBIOS read error' and the screen that eventually follows does not allow me to select Snow Leopard instead it just looks like a fuzzy corrupt screen.

Any help appreciated :)

P.s If I am being an idiot and missed something amazingly obvious just say that and I'll look through the threads and search again! Nothing I hate more than people who can't read stuff for themselves so dont want to be a hypocrite!

scotthooker

scotthooker

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Just to add it only generates the error once I hit f5 WITH my snow leopard CD in the drive.

Just to add this is a retail snow leopard CD is this where I am going wrong..

FAIL
I am an idiot... I didn't let it all load before I eject the CD
/FAIL

User_01

User_01

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
Just a remark!

"This should now be replacing your 10.6.0 AppleHDA.kext <- with the working one. Once completed close 'Kext Helper B7' and open 'Kext Utility' from your desktop."

-> After doing the combo/delta update (10.6.4/x) you'll be having the new vanilla version of the AppleHDA.kext (10.6.4/x). You basically change the same version of the kext, only the one replacing the original one (vanilla) is binary patched, so it can recognize the ALC889 chip, or is an older version vanilla/binary patched that previously worked and might work again.

Eric714

Eric714

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 3 posts

Really wanted to try and avoided posting a question but after trying different boot132's and reading all posts I am stuck!

I have P6X58D-E running Intel 930 all at stock

Tried several times with different Boot132's including the 'MARS' one attached to the first post in this thread however whenever I restart and boot from it, remove the cd and insert my snow leopard CD I get a 'EBIOS read error' and the screen that eventually follows does not allow me to select Snow Leopard instead it just looks like a fuzzy corrupt screen.

Any help appreciated :)

P.s If I am being an idiot and missed something amazingly obvious just say that and I'll look through the threads and search again! Nothing I hate more than people who can't read stuff for themselves so dont want to be a hypocrite!

I am no expert. However, I have to ask, are you sure that you set your BIOS settings correctly?
What about the configuration of the hard drive and CD/DVD? Are you using the same SATA ports? Is this a new hard drive?

Just some thoughts.

kup

kup

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
I think Scott worked out the problem. He was ejecting/inserting the DVD too early and it can cause issues. I'm gunna add it to the guide as it'll be good to know to wait until the little blinky light has stopped. lol

scotthooker

scotthooker

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Yep worked it out! I was being a noob! Now however, I am just getting a blank screen with my CPU fan going mental...

It may be by GPU i have a ati 5770... do I need to modify my boot132 to take into account my GPU?

wtf69wtf

wtf69wtf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
how do i get the boot drives to look like this?

DouchePirate

DouchePirate

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Yep worked it out! I was being a noob! Now however, I am just getting a blank screen with my CPU fan going mental...

It may be by GPU i have a ati 5770... do I need to modify my boot132 to take into account my GPU?

This is where it can get tricky. Your graphics card has only just recently been made to work in Snow Leopard. Its a great graphics card but you will have to find a tutorial for how to get it working. As Kup said at the start of this thread please try not to ask questions about installing your graphics card in this particular thread. There are tuts availible even on this site and you will find many different methods within minutes of googling for them. The trick is to figure out how to follow two or more tutorials such as this one and an ati 5xxx series tutorial simultaneously to get your hackintosh working. Its not that hard, it just takes a lot of trial and error, time and research. Along the way really make an effort to understand what each of the tutorials you follow are doing and research all the key words used. With that you can learn pretty fast how to troubleshoot your own problems like i have somewhat in the last four or five days.

One piece of advice: Someone has likely experienced your problem or a very similar one to yours. Start searching here at insanely mac then google. Its dangerous to go alone take this; www.google.com/help/cheatsheet.html

verdi1987

verdi1987

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
I hope someone out there can help me. I get to a point where I have a grey Mac OS background with an endlessly spinning pinwheel.

Specs: P6X58D, Core i7 930, ATI Radeon HD 5770, 4GB RAM

I've set the BIOS as described at http://www.insanelym...howtopic=208724.

The bootloader is on a bootable USB drive, and the OS X 10.6 DVD is on a CF card. I am using the new ATI drivers posted on netkas.org.

I am able to boot and select the 10.6 image. graphicsenabler=no, and I'm passing "-v -x cpus=4 arch=i386 busratio=21" when booting the 10.6 image. I've tried cpus=1 as well.

Before the new ATI drivers, I would get a KP when loading the 10.6 image. Now, I get all the way to a grey desktop with the spinning pinwheel, but I never get to a point where I can select the install Language or target drive.

Has anyone else run into this issue with the P6X58D MB? I've scoured the forums, and it seems any myriad of issues can result in the grey background.

Thanks.

kup

kup

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
How have you added the new drivers to an install that you haven't completed? You might need to add -f to your boot arguments so that it rebuilds the cache and uses the new drivers. You will need the ATY_Init provided by Netkas too. And to remove the GraphicsEnabler line from the ISO boot.plst.

cloverbay

cloverbay

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Sorry kup, didn't try the manual install, read the instructions & it needs to do fdisk & set active partitions again. I'm sure the boot drive & partitions are set correctly in the beginning, else the whole installation wouldn't have worked. I really don't wish to reinstall the whole thing all over again.

Anyone out there with a WD Black scorpio 1TB drive facing the same issue as me?

Btw i found another "bug". The Firewire 400 is not working as it should. The files transfer is slower than the USB ports. Took 3mins to transfer 2GB of jpgs from my USB card reader to the SATA drive, & 34 mins from SATA drive to the Firewire ext drive. Any insight to this?

Thanks once again :)

kup

kup

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Hmm, ok. How are the offending HDD formatted? And were they formatted with any particular software?

Also, I'll look into the Firewire for you. :)

cloverbay

cloverbay

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
The HDD was formatted with 2 partitions in XP. 1st is NTFS from winXP, the 2nd is FAT32 from mac

But i wouldn't think that formatting the drive could cause issue with boot loader, then again i could be wrong :(

Thanks for looking into the Firewire :)

kup

kup

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
What about the external that had issues?

smidge

smidge

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
hi all

just upgraded my old system (see sig) to
P6X58D-E, 6 gig kingston ram, Asus ENGTS250

the system booted up first go using the config from the old system (i thought it was worth a shot!)

it runs but no audio, ethernet and isn't right

i plan to use the above method and post my results, i can see a few people have had success with the above board (the -E version) i haven't had anything to do with the DSDT editing or anything before so hopefully i'll get it working okay.. will be watching this thread with interest!

kup

kup

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Smidge, you should be able to use all my files and Boot132 CD to install. Follow this guide and it should apply just as well to your P6X58D-E. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy