[Guide] P6X58D Premium. Retail 10.6.4 Install. :)

kup

247 posts in this topic

Yep worked it out! I was being a noob! Now however, I am just getting a blank screen with my CPU fan going mental...

It may be by GPU i have a ati 5770... do I need to modify my boot132 to take into account my GPU?

This is where it can get tricky. Your graphics card has only just recently been made to work in Snow Leopard. Its a great graphics card but you will have to find a tutorial for how to get it working. As Kup said at the start of this thread please try not to ask questions about installing your graphics card in this particular thread. There are tuts availible even on this site and you will find many different methods within minutes of googling for them. The trick is to figure out how to follow two or more tutorials such as this one and an ati 5xxx series tutorial simultaneously to get your hackintosh working. Its not that hard, it just takes a lot of trial and error, time and research. Along the way really make an effort to understand what each of the tutorials you follow are doing and research all the key words used. With that you can learn pretty fast how to troubleshoot your own problems like i have somewhat in the last four or five days.

One piece of advice: Someone has likely experienced your problem or a very similar one to yours. Start searching here at insanely mac then google. Its dangerous to go alone take this; www.google.com/help/cheatsheet.html

I hope someone out there can help me. I get to a point where I have a grey Mac OS background with an endlessly spinning pinwheel.

Specs: P6X58D, Core i7 930, ATI Radeon HD 5770, 4GB RAM

I've set the BIOS as described at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=208724.

The bootloader is on a bootable USB drive, and the OS X 10.6 DVD is on a CF card. I am using the new ATI drivers posted on netkas.org.

I am able to boot and select the 10.6 image. graphicsenabler=no, and I'm passing "-v -x cpus=4 arch=i386 busratio=21" when booting the 10.6 image. I've tried cpus=1 as well.

Before the new ATI drivers, I would get a KP when loading the 10.6 image. Now, I get all the way to a grey desktop with the spinning pinwheel, but I never get to a point where I can select the install Language or target drive.

Has anyone else run into this issue with the P6X58D MB? I've scoured the forums, and it seems any myriad of issues can result in the grey background.

Thanks.

How have you added the new drivers to an install that you haven't completed? You might need to add -f to your boot arguments so that it rebuilds the cache and uses the new drivers. You will need the ATY_Init provided by Netkas too. And to remove the GraphicsEnabler line from the ISO boot.plst.

Sorry kup, didn't try the manual install, read the instructions & it needs to do fdisk & set active partitions again. I'm sure the boot drive & partitions are set correctly in the beginning, else the whole installation wouldn't have worked. I really don't wish to reinstall the whole thing all over again.

Anyone out there with a WD Black scorpio 1TB drive facing the same issue as me?

Btw i found another "bug". The Firewire 400 is not working as it should. The files transfer is slower than the USB ports. Took 3mins to transfer 2GB of jpgs from my USB card reader to the SATA drive, & 34 mins from SATA drive to the Firewire ext drive. Any insight to this?

Thanks once again :)

The HDD was formatted with 2 partitions in XP. 1st is NTFS from winXP, the 2nd is FAT32 from mac

But i wouldn't think that formatting the drive could cause issue with boot loader, then again i could be wrong :(

Thanks for looking into the Firewire :)

hi all

just upgraded my old system (see sig) to

P6X58D-E, 6 gig kingston ram, Asus ENGTS250

the system booted up first go using the config from the old system (i thought it was worth a shot!)

it runs but no audio, ethernet and isn't right

i plan to use the above method and post my results, i can see a few people have had success with the above board (the -E version) i haven't had anything to do with the DSDT editing or anything before so hopefully i'll get it working okay.. will be watching this thread with interest!

Smidge, you should be able to use all my files and Boot132 CD to install. Follow this guide and it should apply just as well to your P6X58D-E. :thanks_speechbubble:

Thanks for your hard work Kup! I plan to replace the older kexts and plists etc with the ones from your setup and use chameleon if possible so i can leave my current 10.6.4 installation as is

if that doesn't work i'll do a fresh install and start from scratch

Use all my kexts and the bootloader I provided along with my plists. :)

SUCCESS!

It worked beautifully! Not sure how to quantify how much faster it is than my old setup, what kind of Xbench result should i be expecting from this i wonder?

I simply copied over the extras folder from your archive, ran the kext utility to fix permissions, installed your version of the bootloader over the chameleon that was already there and then the audio kext via kext-helper.

restarted and its working fine! Can give more details if anyone needs them.

What about the external that had issues?

The external drive meaning USB or Firewire?

The USB 2.5" ext drive is NTFS (can't bootup if stays plug in port)

The external Firewire drive is FAT32. (very slow but in win7 its ok)

All w/o issue running XP & Leopard 10.5.7 in the past, this new Asus Mboard may need some time for kexts to mature i guess :blink:

SUCCESS!

It worked beautifully! Not sure how to quantify how much faster it is than my old setup, what kind of Xbench result should i be expecting from this i wonder?

I simply copied over the extras folder from your archive, ran the kext utility to fix permissions, installed your version of the bootloader over the chameleon that was already there and then the audio kext via kext-helper.

restarted and its working fine! Can give more details if anyone needs them.

You might need a sleepenabler kext. I found that out after a couple of days.

why? why? can i not get it to work.. I have burnt V2 to cd. I boot off it just fine. I put in my flags:

-v -x -cpus=4 busratio=21

(I have - Asus P6X58D-P / I7 930, 2.8ghz / 4 gigs ram / This attempt I was trying to get SL installed on a Torq Patriot M28 SSD - 64gb, and I am using an LG blue ray drive that I know blue ray won't work in apple, but won't the drive still function???) I have the ahci, and bios configured, I think properly according to the post above.. Oh, I have an ATI 48XX series card in this machine. The SSD drive was Partitioned on a Macbook Pro disk utility running 10.6.4, and the dumb USB interface I had to use went to an old western digital external drive. I hope that makes sense...

But yet I can NOT get SL installed. Why? I get a kernel panic, everytime. I don't know how to read the crash screen, but i would be glad to do an iphone photo of it if that would help. Pleaase help if you can! I bet it would be a quick fix, and I can NOT seem to get this to work....

I have an exact duplicate of this machine, but diffeent power supply, and with two 5870 ati cards in it, if you can, I would rather get that system up and running....

Is this problem an SSD issue? Or an ATI issue?

why? why? can i not get it to work.. I have burnt V2 to cd. I boot off it just fine. I put in my flags:

-v -x -cpus=4 busratio=21

(I have - Asus P6X58D-P / I7 930, 2.8ghz / 4 gigs ram / This attempt I was trying to get SL installed on a Torq Patriot M28 SSD - 64gb, and I am using an LG blue ray drive that I know blue ray won't work in apple, but won't the drive still function???) I have the ahci, and bios configured, I think properly according to the post above.. Oh, I have an ATI 48XX series card in this machine. The SSD drive was Partitioned on a Macbook Pro disk utility running 10.6.4, and the dumb USB interface I had to use went to an old western digital external drive. I hope that makes sense...

But yet I can NOT get SL installed. Why? I get a kernel panic, everytime. I don't know how to read the crash screen, but i would be glad to do an iphone photo of it if that would help. Pleaase help if you can! I bet it would be a quick fix, and I can NOT seem to get this to work....

I have an exact duplicate of this machine, but diffeent power supply, and with two 5870 ati cards in it, if you can, I would rather get that system up and running....

Is this problem an SSD issue? Or an ATI issue?

Make sure you are in the sata II slots. That and I think there was a minor fix where if you put the hdd in slot 3 and the cd drive in slot 1 it worked good. Also, you should put it into 32-bit kernel mode. arch=i386 or something along that line.

Make sure you are in the sata II slots. That and I think there was a minor fix where if you put the hdd in slot 3 and the cd drive in slot 1 it worked good. Also, you should put it into 32-bit kernel mode. arch=i386 or something along that line.

ok.. so after HOURS of testing, and trying different sata slots etc -

thank you slaminman756... I have not tried the 32bit mode. Would that fix this issue:

It just sits there trying to "unmount disk" in disk utility.

I now have a 64gb ssd in the PC. It was completely cleaned and wiped. I used disk utility in 10.6.4 to do it.

Then, it does not matter if i try to go ahead and install, or if I go to disk utilities at that point and select Partition. It just sits there. Right now I chose partition in the disk utility, and it is just sitting there. There is no activity on the DVD / CD drive, there is no activity coming from the SSD (That i can tell) and the "unmounting disk" candy cane looking progress bar just keeps going. It is not frozen, it just keeps trying to unmount the disk, but it never succeeds. My guess is that is what is happening during the install as well.

I get the same result, even if I am using the 2tb, 6gb second seagate drive, or the 1tb drive, it does not matter. I have tried differrent graphics cards, hard drives, different everything.... I can NOT get past this point. AND - I have the machine down to two gigs of ram, I have taken out the ati 48XX card, and put in a gefore 8600 or something like that, it is a small geforce card, older I think, and NO other things are attached to the system at all.

Any ideas again? I will try the slamminmans ideas here now.... thanks! i'm going crazy....

so I put cd in sata 1, and hd in sata3. same results. Except this time, I used the right click and selected partition on the HD!! (i know.. it is probably the same thing...) But I got to this point:

Formatting Disk1s2 as Mac OS Extended (journaled) with... then the progress bar which is always moving. I never lock up here, just stop moving forward. No activity from the HD either.

ANd I did select journaled (not case sensitive) and the GUID partition.

The Install Mac OS X screen, where you select a hard drive is blank. What do you do then? I tried the disk utility, and tried to format the disk (I have tried three different disks.) and none will show up in this part of the installation process, and none will format fully. Any ideas?

My configuration is no different than others here... what gives? I am attempting to install SL on a USB attached 500gb sata notebook drive, and it seems to be progressing forward....

What is different about my system that I can't get it to work???

Asus P6X58D-Premium

Intel I7 930 @ 2.8

Patriot G series memory - 1 stick in place currently, so 2 GB

Patriot Torqx M28 64gb ssd (Or I have tried several others)

I now have in an old Geforce card - the only one I have that works in this mobo, I think it is like a 512mb 8600??? small card, no fan, I bought it with in the last year. I took out the ati card just for testing.

Nothing else attached. NO other cards.

I actually want my ATI 48XX series card back in.

I am using an old IBM dvd drive, no writer, but I have other drives, I have been testing with this one.

I attach a USB drive, and it installs just fine. Can I take this drive (If I can boot off of it) and somehow use it to boot / restore the real internal sata drive?

I have the bios set the way this tutorial states, and I have tried many other combinations. I have tried the 32 bit and 64 bit method. It seems to me that for some reason, the distros that I have tried: Kakewalk, this 132, and two others, all don't seem to see the hard drive properly. WHen I launch disk utility, it does see them, but it takes a while for disk utility to finish launching, and forget about trying to partition anything.

But the usb drive works so far...

I have a couple of problems I need help with. I have installed SL on a 2 TB drive which I partitioned in the system with OSX Disk Utility. I booted from the Bootloader Boot132 and installed SL with options -x arch=i386 cpus=4 busratio=21 1280x1024x35@85. I have an Asus P6X85D Extreme MB with an Intel i7 chip. Everything worked just fine and I can reboot as long as I have Boot132 in the CD drive. It will not boot without it. I copied the Extras folder to the root of the boot drive and ran the Kext Apps with no problems. I ran the Kext Helper and dropped the Audio Kext (AppleHDA10.6.4) in to turn on the sound. Sound finally came alive in OSX ( Speaker icon is bold and I can adjust volume but get no sound. I can live with this if need be, but I would like to have it boot normally from the HD.

If the system goes to sleep, it will not wake up. I have to turn it off and boot again.

So teh usb drive didn't work either.

I have two systems that have the same mobo and proc.

The other system just goes to a black screen, and fires up all the fans to 100%.

It has one ATI 5870 in the first slot.

Suggestions?

The problem is the 5870. Please refer to the the Graphics forum for help with that hardware. :rolleyes:

I have a couple of problems I need help with. I have installed SL on a 2 TB drive which I partitioned in the system with OSX Disk Utility. I booted from the Bootloader Boot132 and installed SL with options -x arch=i386 cpus=4 busratio=21 1280x1024x35@85. I have an Asus P6X85D Extreme MB with an Intel i7 chip. Everything worked just fine and I can reboot as long as I have Boot132 in the CD drive. It will not boot without it. I copied the Extras folder to the root of the boot drive and ran the Kext Apps with no problems. I ran the Kext Helper and dropped the Audio Kext (AppleHDA10.6.4) in to turn on the sound. Sound finally came alive in OSX ( Speaker icon is bold and I can adjust volume but get no sound. I can live with this if need be, but I would like to have it boot normally from the HD.

If the system goes to sleep, it will not wake up. I have to turn it off and boot again.

You did not install the Bootloader. Install this and it'll boot fine. :wacko:

EDIT: And for the sound, in system preferences you need to select the output device. ;)