[Guide] P6X58D Premium. Retail 10.6.4 Install. :)

kup

247 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

A little tips to anyone having problems with your Graphics card and the boot disc, follow the first post, but also some can add "GraphicsEnabler=n" without the quotes

Then most of you will able to boot without the screen going blank.

Good luck with your machine and have a good day(night)

Cheers

I've been trying to install SL on my P6X58D running BIOS 1002 with an Intel 980X, Nvidia 8800 Ultra (SLI but one removed for install), and 6GB RAM. Using the V2 boot132 iso, setup would halt at the GUI installer with both 10.6 and 10.6.3 SL DVDs, leaving a blank screen that required a hard reset. Although the 8800 series should be among the most compatible cards, something with the boot132 didn't agree with it...

I was able to get OSX installed using the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] nVidia from tonymacosx, using string busratio=25 and cpus=6. So if you have a similar setup and this guide did not work for you, give that a try. I'm going to try to follow the rest of the guide to get the miscellaneous board hardware functioning properly, and I think after updating to 10.6.4 there will be better support for the 980X.

I have successfully installed Snow Leopard 10.6.4 .. And my Sound is Working.

System Specs

Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D Premium

Processor: Core i7 930

Memory: Corsair DDR3 1600MHz C7 (3 x 2GB) Tripple Channel Kit

Graphics: EVGA nVidia GTX 285 1GB

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro4,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.81 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 6 GB

Bus Speed: 533 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MP41.0081.B04

SMC Version (system): 1.39f5

Serial Number (system): SECRETNUMBER

Hardware UUID: 0AAF655F-2CD2-5F33-9E6F-58432DD600BB

Xbench Score: 218.21

Can someone explain to me why the bus speed is at 533 MHz ..?

I also tried running OS X in 64 bit and 32 bit (arch=i386) with same results.

Overall I expected this system to perform better than my Macbook Pro 17" .. But overall system seems to run slower or not fast enough as I had expected it to run. Don't get me wrong .. it is satisfactory.. but I have seen youtube videos where people open almost all the programs at once and they open pretty fast... but not in my case. and I'm wondering if my bus speed being 533 MHz is an issue.

Any input will be appreciated.

Thank you Kup and all other people that have contributed!!

Got my new computer couple of days ago and followed this guide. Had no issues at all installing OSX, just followed the guide. Took me a while to get sound working and then it took me until today to get the graphics card fully working but seemed pretty easy after all. (XFX Radeon 4650 1gb) I was having trouble getting my Mbox 2 mini working but just found the drivers for SL on digidesign site and that's working too.

I just need to sort the ethernet now or does it work without needing to edit kexts? I'm getting the cable in next few days so can't try until then.

Other than that I've got a fully functioning Hackintosh! Thanks again :angel:

hello together,

can you tell me, if the onboard firewire port is running ootb and flawless under 10.6.4??

would be great to know it !!

cheers, knobsi

Yeah it's working fine with mine straight OTB in 10.6.4. Everything's working so good, I still can't quite believe it.

It's great and unbelievable! I now have working MacOS X 10.6.4 on my PC! Thanks!

But have cople questions: since I'm totally noob in editing DSDT I'm on this post-

- will there be any possibility to enable sleep mode?

- is there solution to fix microphone input (but anyway I got usb interface which enables microphone if i connect through it) ?

- and the last is maybe there is some kind of utility that controls power saving mode on asus motherboards?Such as we have in Windows...

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH!

• 2 weeks later...

Many Thanks to all of you. I was trying from many days but its finally up and running with all your help. I was new to this but it was never been so easy.

I have tried using my old Graphics Card Nvidia 6600 and its working fine.

Asus P6X58D-E

6GB OCZ

1TB WD 3GB/s

NVdia 6600GT 256MB

USB Wireless Edimax ew-7711utn worked fine with drivers and utility from manufacturer's website.

hey there, i've got a the -E version of this motherboard rather than the premium and when I try to follow the install with the flags suggested it hangs and wont show a snow leopard install...

it hangs at yukon: Ethernet address 20:cf:30:66:b0:45

i know the premium has 2 ethernet compaired to the 1 on my board so does anyone have any ideas or tips for me? i'm not the greatest at software more hardware =)

my set up:

Asus P6X58-E,

Intel i7 930 OC 4GHz

4GbRam (meant to be 6 but 1 stick doesnt work)

Sata1 = HDD (GUID as Mac OS Extended (Journaled))

Sata2 = DVD

Graphics = Nvidia 470GTX

I'm on a rusty old MBP so if there is anyway of installing OSX on the drive via USB and then installing chameleon... (dont know if thats right...?)

Any ideas would be great =)

hey there, i've got a the -E version of this motherboard rather than the premium and when I try to follow the install with the flags suggested it hangs and wont show a snow leopard install...

it hangs at yukon: Ethernet address 20:cf:30:66:b0:45

i know the premium has 2 ethernet compaired to the 1 on my board so does anyone have any ideas or tips for me? i'm not the greatest at software more hardware =)

my set up:

Asus P6X58-E,

Intel i7 930 OC 4GHz

4GbRam (meant to be 6 but 1 stick doesnt work)

Sata1 = HDD (GUID as Mac OS Extended (Journaled))

Sata2 = DVD

Graphics = Nvidia 470GTX

I'm on a rusty old MBP so if there is anyway of installing OSX on the drive via USB and then installing chameleon... (dont know if thats right...?)

Any ideas would be great =)

I have just used -v -x and it worked straight away... is it your graphic card ?

SL installation keeps crapping out.

I'm using newest version of [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. I can get to the bootloader screen, swap in my retail disk of SL and get through the language selection. If I go to disk utility it hangs sometimes, other times it hangs after I partition the hard drive (never finishes un-mounting). I to tried partitioning and format with my MBP and just hit next after language selection, but then my HDD isn't in the list of available installation locations. Do I need to run -v -x graphicsenabler=no for SL install? Any suggestions would be great.

I've gotten the installation to work before and have made it to the OS X Desktop, but I'm not so lucky anymore. I messed up with the post installion stuff and had to start over.

Update:

As I sit here at my desk at the office, I think I have SATA6 plugged into a ESata port in a spare Expansion slot. Could that be my issue? Also, should DVD or HDD be in SATA1?

Hey Kup, big thanks for putting the work in for this guide. It really helped a lot.

So, my machine has an Asus P6X58D-E board, Intel i7-930 cpu, 8gb 1600mhz g-skill ripjaw ram, and an EVGA GTX470 1280mb. I am using my old macbook pro harddrive to install on until i get a bigger drive for SL. I have gotten SL to install fine using the boot132 v1 iso, but v2 does not work for some reason. Once I finished installing SL 10.6.3, i proceeded to install [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] etc, then upgrade to 10.6.4. However, I cannot boot from my HDD and booting from the boot132 cd requires entering the -v arch=1386 tags, so i'm not sure where the problem is at. I have tried multiple solutions but none have worked. I also have tried reinstalling it several times with the same outcome. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :(

Hey Kup, big thanks for putting the work in for this guide. It really helped a lot.

So, my machine has an Asus P6X58D-E board, Intel i7-930 cpu, 8gb 1600mhz g-skill ripjaw ram, and an EVGA GTX470 1280mb. I am using my old macbook pro harddrive to install on until i get a bigger drive for SL. I have gotten SL to install fine using the boot132 v1 iso, but v2 does not work for some reason. Once I finished installing SL 10.6.3, i proceeded to install [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] etc, then upgrade to 10.6.4. However, I cannot boot from my HDD and booting from the boot132 cd requires entering the -v arch=1386 tags, so i'm not sure where the problem is at. I have tried multiple solutions but none have worked. I also have tried reinstalling it several times with the same outcome. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :(

I had the same issue after upgrading to 10.6.4, different video card though. It came down to an issue with the graphics card. Try and see if you can boot with the following -v -x flags. The first post said -x is needed with single nVidia card. I also needed "GraphicsEnabler=no" Minus the quotes.

I know my vid card required me to install the Graphics Update package as well with 10.6.4 update. Which [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] options did you install?

I had the same issue after upgrading to 10.6.4, different video card though. It came down to an issue with the graphics card. Try and see if you can boot with the following -v -x flags. The first post said -x is needed with single nVidia card. I also needed "GraphicsEnabler=no" Minus the quotes.

I know my vid card required me to install the Graphics Update package as well with 10.6.4 update. Which [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] options did you install?

Thanks for the reply! I read that you needed to use the -x tag for a single nVidia card, but i guess i just assumed that was for installation only. I will have to give that a try. I also tried installing the graphics update along with the 10.6.4 combo update, then used the "experimental 4xx boot" disc floating around on the forums here, which got my GTX470 working, but i still couldn't boot from the hdd at that point.

I installed [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] with both chameleon rc3 and rc4, and had no luck with either of those. I'll give those suggestions a try when i get a change. thanks for the help!

UPDATE:

So, i made another attempt at it last night, and i think i have gotten everything working properly. I did the SL install with the boot132 disck with the tags "-x -v arch=i386 busratio=21 GraphicsEnabler=n" just to be safe. Installed without a hitch (although it did appear to hang for a bit at about 50% complete, but my disk drive indicator was still blinking, so i let it go and it eventually rebooted on its own). I then booted into SL and installed Chameleon RC4 along with the provided "Extra" folder from Kup's files. Repaired permissions, rebooted and i was able to boot fine from my HDD using only the "GraphicsEnabler=n" tag since i have a GTX470. I then installed the 10.6.4 combo update as well as the SL graphics update 1.0. Rebooted, then followed the instructions from the "fermi/gtx 480/gtx 470, it's working!" thread. Again reset permissions, rebooted, cleared caches and i was good to go! Finally i installed the updated kext for sound and now i've got everything working and ran geekbench and got a score of about 8063 or something, so i'm pretty happy!

Big thanks to Kup and all others who contributed to this thread and community!

Thanks for the reply! I read that you needed to use the -x tag for a single nVidia card, but i guess i just assumed that was for installation only. I will have to give that a try. I also tried installing the graphics update along with the 10.6.4 combo update, then used the "experimental 4xx boot" disc floating around on the forums here, which got my GTX470 working, but i still couldn't boot from the hdd at that point.

I installed [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] with both chameleon rc3 and rc4, and had no luck with either of those. I'll give those suggestions a try when i get a change. thanks for the help!

I'm just a Hackintosh noob myself, but there isn't too much action on this thread as of late. You shouldn't need -x forever, but I needed it until I got the graphics card working properly.

USB 3.0 seems to be working.

I installed the new USB 3.0 drivers released by Lacie today. I have a new Superspeed USB device listed in System Profiler under USB. Sounds like it's working for others running motherboards with the NEC chipset.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=236209

Update:

I have the following USB 3.0 HDD dock.

http://www.newertech.com/products/voyagers3.php

I am able to plug it into a USB 2.0 port and mount a HDD, but if I plug it into the USB 3.0 port I got no action. Tried multiple HDD's. USB 2.0 flash drive mount in USB 3.0 ports.

When I get home later in the morning, I'll try "graphicsenabler=no. I get the same kernel panic. I've been out of the loop for a while, I blew up my PSU... Only difference between mine and the above is my GTX 470 is in an SLI serape with another. All I need is a system functional enough for some HandBrake work!

finally all my parts arrived for assemblin & installation OSX86 10.6 + combo to 10.6.4

what a breeze of easy installation.... goin step by step in first post and i was on the desktop very fast. this one was the fastest method i ever had !!

here the specs of my actual rig:

-ASUS P6X58D

-Intel i7 930 @2.8 GHz

- with a scythe mugen rev 2 cooler ( nearly too big :-( )

- NVIDIA 9800 GT 1gig (VGA DVI HDMI)

-3x2 Corsair 2GB Ram

-1 Optiarc DVD Drive SATA

-1 Samsung spinpoint 1TB SATA

all together put into a lian li pc-8n black case fired up with a corsair 750w power supply ;)

i used the prasys installation method with chameleon from dr. hurt and osx10.6 on a usb stick, added all kexts to the extra folder from the first post here, added the "GraphicsEnabler=Yes" and then run the installation without any probs !!

afterwards for a daily usage a new small usb stick formatted, installed the boot installer and added the extra folder from the link inside of first post et voilà - a nice 10.6.4 on a really fast rig !!

now it needs to check for the sleep/ wake function and to go into detail with the graphic card.

- changing screen resolution ends into blue screen

- test dvi/ vga mode on two cinema screens....

- card is seen only with 512 mb in about this mac...

would love to get some help for the issues above :) you can??

actually big thanks to kup and the rest here for havin fun with osx on pc rigs !!

cheers, knobsi

When I get home later in the morning, I'll try "graphicsenabler=no. I get the same kernel panic. I've been out of the loop for a while, I blew up my PSU... Only difference between mine and the above is my GTX 470 is in an SLI serape with another. All I need is a system functional enough for some HandBrake work!

Hmm, "graphicsenabler=no" got me to finish the install and boot off the HDD!!! To boot I still had to use the flags, -v -x arch=i386 cpus=1(not sure if that's necessary) busratio=21 GraphicsEnabler=no

I got to the desktop, but when I insert my USB stick with my extras and boot loader folder on it, it won't recognize it. I've tried two sticks, a 16 GB PNY, and my old defunct iPod shuffle (1st gen). Neither will mount in OS X, even using disk utility. I've tried to skip safe mode, but get a kernel panic due to my graphics cards. Ive also tried two different sets of USB ports, the front set and the back set. Don't think I stuck it in the back 3.0 ports I hope...

Here's my specs:

Intel Core i7 930 @stock clocks for now 2.8x GHz

6 GB Corsair Dominator DDR 3

P6X58D Premium motherboard

2x EVGA GTX 470 Superclocked

80 GB Intel x25m SSD (Windows 7 only)

2x Western Digital Caviar Black 6.0 GBPS 1 TB HDDs (software RAID 0, also Windows 7 only)

2x Seagate Momentus 1 TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0 GBPS HDDs (OS X is on one of these, the other being for backups. )

LG Blu-Ray ROM

LG DVD-RW

Think that's all the important stuff... Any ideas? Maybe something I missed or something to do with USB mode? Does the USB key need to be in for bootup into OS X since it's safe mode? I stopped for the day as I don't have the required downloads to fix my GTX 470s anyway, take care of that tonight.

Hi Kup,

Thanks a million for your files,

I've an issue :

I've a ix 980 + P6X58D-E and your boot files and kext, Base clock is 200, CPU ratio is 21, Dram is 1603 Mhz

The time is of, mybe 10 times too fast, the clock ges crazy, video files are speedy sound is offset.

Any clue what's going on ?

How can I fix this.

Thanks a lot

The time is of, mybe 10 times too fast, the clock ges crazy, video files are speedy sound is offset.

Sorry, I reinstalled everything and know it's ok. I can't see what was different. Maybe I disconected a sata drive, and put my main on sata 1. Weird. Anyway it works lika a champ. Thanks a lot Kup and all

Hmm, "graphicsenabler=no" got me to finish the install and boot off the HDD!!! To boot I still had to use the flags, -v -x arch=i386 cpus=1(not sure if that's necessary) busratio=21 GraphicsEnabler=no

I got to the desktop, but when I insert my USB stick with my extras and boot loader folder on it, it won't recognize it. I've tried two sticks, a 16 GB PNY, and my old defunct iPod shuffle (1st gen). Neither will mount in OS X, even using disk utility. I've tried to skip safe mode, but get a kernel panic due to my graphics cards. Ive also tried two different sets of USB ports, the front set and the back set. Don't think I stuck it in the back 3.0 ports I hope...

Here's my specs:

Intel Core i7 930 @stock clocks for now 2.8x GHz

6 GB Corsair Dominator DDR 3

P6X58D Premium motherboard

2x EVGA GTX 470 Superclocked

80 GB Intel x25m SSD (Windows 7 only)

2x Western Digital Caviar Black 6.0 GBPS 1 TB HDDs (software RAID 0, also Windows 7 only)

2x Seagate Momentus 1 TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0 GBPS HDDs (OS X is on one of these, the other being for backups. )

LG Blu-Ray ROM

LG DVD-RW

Think that's all the important stuff... Any ideas? Maybe something I missed or something to do with USB mode? Does the USB key need to be in for bootup into OS X since it's safe mode? I stopped for the day as I don't have the required downloads to fix my GTX 470s anyway, take care of that tonight.

With the -x flag, safe mode, my PC didn't recognize USB sticks either. You could try booting without that flag. If that won't work you could burn the needed files to a dvd or hook the HDD to another mac temporarily to move the files over. I can't remember if I had ethernet working at the point you are at, but if you do, you could map a network drive to the files.

With the -x flag, safe mode, my PC didn't recognize USB sticks either. You could try booting without that flag. If that won't work you could burn the needed files to a dvd or hook the HDD to another mac temporarily to move the files over. I can't remember if I had ethernet working at the point you are at, but if you do, you could map a network drive to the files.

I had the same issue with my USB drive, however, it will recognize your USB drive right after install with -x if it is formatted to HFS+. I noticed this after i had been using a stick that i had formatted to be used as an OS X boot drive, then tried using a normal FAT32 formatted drive (which it did not recognize in safe mode). Make sure you have your Marvell controller set to AHCI mode in your BIOS as well, I had ethernet from the get-go, don't know if it makes a difference though.

still No Sleep on my rig :-(

after a very frustrating night i´m coming back with the no sleep-issue in hope to get any help from you !!

- how can i get the sleep mode managed??

- which settings are needed in the bios?

- do i need to modify the dsdt? if yes, how?

any help would be very nice !!!

cheers, knobsi