AnVAL (ACPI Loader)

valv

1,538 posts in this topic

wonderful job, but could you please add this fix to your ACPI Loader

i want to post my little contributions, it's a patch fixing the kernel panic

Local Apic Error , ESR 64\n"@/sourcecache/xnu/xnu-1228.15.4/osmfk/i386/lapic.c

that occur when booting without the cpus=1 boot flags in Pavilion dv6 and dv7 Series Laptops.

This is a BIOS bug specific to those serie and may be some other Models too !

unlike the Apocolypse fix that just redirect the output message for the error which is still there with this patch there is no more error.

Some explanation:

I have discovered that's the error ESR 64 is due to improper setting for LVT_INT0 and LVT_INT1 (32-bit registre of LVT Local Vector Table in the Local apic,

you can found the reference in Intel® 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developer’s Manual Volume 3A: System Programming Guide, Part 1, Chapter 10.5: Handling Local Interrupts, available for free download from intel website)

LVT_INT0, LVT_INT1 are both reported as being Vector=0x00, Delivery Mode=Fixed, Polarity=Hight, Trigger Mode=Edge, Mask=1 for ExtINT and 0 for NMI

browsing throught some apic source code for Linux, OpenSolaris and FreeBSD i have found that

Trigger Mode should be set to ExtINT for LVT_INT0 and to NMI for LVT_INT1.

i have added the proper setting in the lapic_configure() function of the lapic.c file

in the attachement you have the patched lapic.c and the diff file against the original lapic.c

NB: lapic.c file is from xnu-1228.15.4 source code for Leopard 10.5.8

and here is the link for a patched kernel for leopard 10.5.8 (for testing purpose)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8HA6VVI9

@Freaky, GE=GraphicsEnabler.

..based on nouveau :blink::whistle:

wonderful job, but could you please add this fix to your ACPI Loader

doesn't seem to be same thing as what u pointed me at is a kernel patch (Fixed 10.5.8 kernel for Local Apic Error , ESR 64\n"@/sourcecache/xnu/xnu-1228.15.4/osmfk/i386/lapic.c), and this here is the bootloader.

Yes, I can boot into system. I used the i386 file from the first post and manually installed it. Apart from the weird display at the beginning, everything looks OK.

also an Insydebios over here, and as I stated on last reply, it already happened to me, don't know why though

Definetly fails on Snow Leo, Even unticking all options except the bootloader still fails

But even though your installer says fail, after rebooting it does have the bootloader from the installer just nothing else.

ok, it is clearly that the installer would only work with leopard for now (this mis-directing :whistle: ), have to update first post one day. regarding the choice to be given about kexts, then yes, u probably missed that button rights on the window.

Attached is my DSDT.dsl and the original (dsdt_AWRDACPI.dsl) extracted in Win7 with iasl. Everything I've added or changed has been marked with comments.

If someone can take a look at it and figure out what I'm doing wrong it would be much appreciated.

Abit IP35 (P35, ICH9R in ACHI mode)..probably pretty close to reference board since Abit never bothered adding any cool features to these.

Core2Quad Q9550

GTX 260 896 MB, 2xDVI

Only extra kexts are FakeSMC and modified IONetworkingFamily for Marvell 88E056 Gigabit Ethernet support. Tried with and without SleepEnabler.

The system shuts down (power off) but when waking up by hitting a key on keyboard or mouse I can hear the hard drives spinning up but get black screen and it seems nothing works because if I try to use Spotlight to launch something there is no HDD activity. Sleep is the only thing that doesn't seem to work...

Hi Kasakka.

Here is your brand new DSDT. I've just finished compiling it. There are both the files .AML & .DSL for your reference.

:) Try it and let me know. Kasakka_DSDT_Optimized_Freaky_Chokra.zip

There were 512 optimizations ;) with your DSDT, with only a few minor changes implemented. :)

I'm not much aware of Award BIOS working. But have incorporated most features adhering with the standards.

Regards,

Freaky Chokra :D

Edited by Freaky Chokra

i have vgnar61zu
what is this
my dsdt and edid are availlable under my posts
:) where to go from here?
don t know how to have vbios.dump
Try with gpu-z or Everest from windows
other problem my applesmbios is latest netkassmbios from kalyway 10.5.2 and it show 733mhz instead of 800mhz
maybe fixed in last revision (about 2 post above). u can try and see if the job is done.
ideneb10.5.8 kalyway
:worried_anim: Never, never heard about this one ?
my dsdt and edid are availlable under my recent posts
Is this a joke ?

Hi Kasakka.

Here is your brand new DSDT. I've just finished compiling it. There are both the files .AML & .DSL for your reference.

:P Try it and let me know. Kasakka_DSDT_Optimized_Freaky_Chokra.zip

There were 512 optimizations :) with your DSDT, with only a few minor changes implemented. :)

I'm not much aware of Award BIOS working. But have incorporated most features adhering with the standards.

Regards,

Freaky Chokra :D

Hi, Freaky Chokra

Would you mind take a look at my DSDT, although everything is working just fine but I still get KP quite often,

are those optimizations in DSDT might help?

I have attached my working DSDT

Thank you very much!,

Noch

DSDT.aml.zip

it is not a joke it s just i have problem to edit post on the forum under vista don t know why just on vista

so i have to rewrite ten times my comment before to be able to post the same for firefox and explorer

ideneb kalyway i would say kalyway 10.5.2 updated with idenebcomboupdate 10.5.8

so i have tried with original smbios from ideneb 10.5.8 it show 100mhz and not much with lizard 0.61 smbios playlist

so i use latestnetkassmbios

for the vbios not much with everest and gpu-z that s why i suggest to look at my edid and dsdt

ssdt don t drop on chameleon

edid and dsdt

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1459125

what is this

;) where to go from here?

Try with gpu-z or Everest from windows

maybe fixed in last revision (about 2 post above). u can try and see if the job is done.

;) Never, never heard about this one ?

Is this a joke ?

vgn-ar61zu is a vaiomy edid is obtained with softmcss and moninfo from emtech

recently i give a try to virtualbox to have more info about my vbios and i post the logs if it can help to load tables

VBox.rtf.txt

leoo.xml_.txt

ssdt don t drop on chameleon
supposedly u already extracted your SSDTs using linux iasl, linux livecd or whatever, for what will u need these? not sure to follow here. are u still using vanilla kernel and wishing to get speed-step ? sorry for misuderstanding.

btw, if u 'r having problems with vista why not post from osx ? If wishing to post from vista and having problems try with safari for win, or maybe opera, chrome or whatever. gonna take a look at DSDT.

Greetz

supposedly u already extracted your SSDTs using linux iasl, linux livecd or whatever, for what will u need these? not sure to follow here. are u still using vanilla kernel and wishing to get speed-step ? sorry for misuderstanding.

btw, if u 'r having problems with vista why not post from osx ? If wishing to post from vista and having problems try with safari for win, or maybe opera, chrome or whatever. gonna take a look at DSDT.

Greetz

wifi is not enable on my 10.5.8 and i don t have all the the time an access to dsl cable

now i m on osx

i have extracted this too i use dsdtse 1.4.2

virtualbox is :

http://lifehacker.com/5530521/virtualbox-3...ac-os-x-on-macs

i use vanilla

i m really interested to load vbios in chameleon because i have the vaio problem :no internal screen enable with qe/ci

if i can suggest something like sonypi from linux working with bootloader or other solution will be great the video enabler of the bootloader work but only for external screen and don t enable rotation

i have nvidia 8600mgt 512

thanx for help and attention

regards

SSDT.aml.zip

Hi have to a correction, Andy didn't changed the patch, he just used another diff TG posted here (sorry Andy :)).

I have a little confession. ^_^

If AnV picked up the _DSM overriding from PCI ID, that feature is half baked, and needs a hashing out, I think.

(I just compiled chameleon/branches/andyvand, booted up my Gigabyte, first time with vanilla speed step. Thanks Azimutz for your tip on how to use the ram disk.)

The case like this one,

Device (UHC1) {
			Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized) {
				Store (Package (0x02) {
						"device-id",
						Buffer (0x04) { 0x34, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00 }
					}, Local0)
				DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				Return (Local0)
			}
		}

device-id patching helps, but there are cases where _DSM needs to be totally replaced based on PCI ID.

I think the feature can be more generalized to _DSM injection rather than subset of _DSM overridden.

If that happens, I can give away my DSDT to anyone, and all you need is to have a pci.plist for the devices on your machine.

Posting just because Azimutz nudged me.

-- TG

Hey valv.

I'v been experimenting et al etc etc etc.

And thus, screwing up my perfect install since last two days, towards the end of the evening. :hysterical:

But that goes with testing, right? :hysterical: :hysterical:

Anyways, I've fixed the DSDT (I think) enough to get the SpeedStep perfectly.

Now, yesterday was the first time this happened:

I fixed the screwed Snow as it won't boot. Coz I'd install VoodooPowerACPI and SleepEnabler both.

That prevented it from booting.

Before that, the AppleTyMCEdriver.kext was causing a kernel panic. Before I loaded both the sleepenabler kexts into the mkext file. I removed the AppleTyMCEdriver.kext to /Disabled/ and rebooted with -f -v and system would get to desktop.

Previously, the TyMCE didn't cause any kernel panic. Wonder why? And why suddenly causing KPs.

Anyways, I was trying to get SStep to as close as possible and sleep working to perfection too.

It was working fine since I've been working on this thread, as you know (from the day I've posted about SS and Sleep).

The problem that happened yesterday night:

I usually turn off my LCD when dozing off.

Yesterday, I was awake till 2am watching a movie. Then, turned off the LCD and slept off.

Only uTorrent was running.

The Energy Saver PrefPane was set to sleep the display in 3 minutes. And it did perfectly on Wednesday and Thursday.

But not yesterday.

Bcoz when I woke up, and check as usual how much 'completed'? :hysterical:

And, guess what! The machine didn't resume from it's slumber.. I dunno why?

See... Sleep "timer" is NOT enabled for PC. It is set to "Never".

"Sleep hard drives when possible" is checked. "Enabled".

Display set to 3 minutes. Enabled.

Allow power button to put the computer to sleep = unchecked. Disabled.

Start up automatically after a power failure = checked. Enabled.

So, why so?

Know that, when I fixed my system from non-booting to properly functional, I had removed the VoodooPowerACPI.kext from /E/E and /S/L/E and rebuilt the mkexts. Rebooted thrice. run benchmarks. Put it to Sleep and resumed 3 times, interval of 5 minutes each time.

But this "not resuming" from whatever state did not happen two days back.

What seems to be the problem?

Lastly, Which is better?:

1) SleepEnabler.kext

or

2) VoodooPowerACPI.kext

Do we remove NullCPUPManagement.kext from /Extra/Extensions when we are using either of Sleep enabling kexts?

Or do we use it together with either one of them?

Pardon me for query as silly as it may sound.

Regards,

Freaky Chokra :hysterical:

@TennisGeek, glad to see you here. I have this problem with ram disk though. as Azi stated, I added bt (0,0) to stingTable.c, that compiled ok. But booting off an usb stick, didn't work. any clue? If Azimutz or ur self could give some clearance about that, it'll be much appreciated.

btw, pci.plist can be very useful to most of us. That is, if u can post ur DSDT here, it'll be generously helpful from ur part. thanks.

@Chokra, u don't have to load these kexts anymore if u really have vanilla speed-step. In this case u should take off NullCPUPowerManagement neither VoodooPowerACPI kexts, as the results u'r having are not correct about vanilla. To be more clear, speed-step works for u because it loads from VoodooPower (and not from SSDTables).

Which is better?:

1) SleepEnabler.kext

or

2) VoodooPowerACPI.kext

These kexts are not meant for the same goal. Am I missing something.

yep, nifty find. so u'r using sl out of virtualbox, dunno how different this could be from a real setup (multiboot) regarding graphic card being emulated by the software. sorry to not be of a help to this.

Greetz,

i don t use vbox i just give a try to see if i can have more info about my spec

other thing indoing F2 4times at boot i acces to bios and it shows "raid config " is "hide" can it be why bios don t dump

@TennisGeek, glad to see you here. I have this problem with ram disk though. as Azi stated, I added bt (0,0) to stingTable.c, that compiled ok. But booting off an usb stick, didn't work. any clue? If Azimutz or ur self could give some clearance about that, it'll be much appreciated.

btw, pci.plist can be very useful to most of us. That is, if u can post ur DSDT here, it'll be generously helpful from ur part. thanks.

I'm skimming the posts, so I probably don't know very well what you are doing.

Having said that, you added "bt(0,0)" to what? default or override?

Also, if you are using my patch, or the tip of chameleon/branches/andyvand, you need to add "bt(0,0)/" not "bt(0,0)".

(Or, maybe you mean "bt(0,0)/Extra/" ...)

The last "/" is significant as the code adds the file name only when the dirspec is "dir".

If it does not end with "/", it thinks it's a file and tries to load the .plist as is.

Adding "bt(0,0)/" to override, however, might be meaningless if you are doing so after "/Extra/" appears.

c.a.Boot.plist is picked up from "/Extra/" by default, and if you add "bt(0,0)/" to override after "/Extra/", "/Extra/" wins again.

It is important the order of dirspec, where you added "bt(0,0)/" to it.

I'm happy to peek what you are doing to stringTable.c.

However, the rest of weekend is kinda booked (heading off to a furniture shopping, and then a b-day party tomorrow.). If you need a quick reply from me, try my PM.

I have not done booting off from USB sticks, and cannot offer much.

You probably need to describe how far the boot process goes.

Good luck.

-- TG

P.S.

I'm feelin' real good that, at last, my EP35-DS4 is running vanilla SS.

@TG,

In fact I was putting the line in question below the "/Extra/" line. gonna try it the other way and see.

btw, pm sent. Thank u again for helping out.

@Chokra, u don't have to load these kexts anymore if u really have vanilla speed-step. In this case u should take off NullCPUPowerManagement neither VoodooPowerACPI kexts, as the results u'r having are not correct about vanilla. To be more clear, speed-step works for u because it loads from VoodooPower (and not from SSDTables). These kexts are not meant for the same goal. Am I missing something.

Greetz,

Thx valv.

Apologies, my mistake. I meant:

1) AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext

or

2) VoodooPowerACPI.kext / VoodooPowerMini.kext <- both are the same, only that MINI occupies lesser RAM and CPU cycles, that's what I read at superhai.com

(Which is better of the two?)

----------------------------------------

However, I fixed the problem.

I re-inserted the NullCPUPM...kext to /E/E and /S/L/E/. ___ And SleepEnabler.kext in /E/E/

Also, dropped in VoodooPowerMini.kext in /S/L/E/

And, rebooted with -f -v. Rebuilt the mkexts. System now fine.

But, When all the above kexts were removed, and Vanilla IntelCPUPM gave SpeedStep and Sleep,

There were issues. Those boot time KPs began cropping up.

Then, during restart, system would hang at your new bootloader while it was reading the FADT and SSDT tables. Dunno the reason. I said your bootloader coz, that gave several improvements like faster performance, shorter boot time, etc. and therefore, I've stuck to using it ONLY. :D

Meaning, the last part after it's done loading the mkexts, and reads the tables then proceeds to load the other files, before presenting the GUI. I hope you got what part I'm trying to say.

Several times I had to force shutdown and restart in -f to get to desktop to get things working.

Lastly, how do I confirm vanilla speedstep is working? and vanilla Sleep is working too? <- both without getting any corruption during regular functioning of the system.

Dear valv, I didn't get this part:

as the results u'r having are not correct about vanilla.

Regards,

Freaky Chokra :rolleyes:

PS: If I'm missing something as an input, pardon me coz I'm having a bad health week :(. Ask me I'll try to reply. Thnx a million valv. ;)

@valv could i be right that the ACPI injector is injecting the wrong bios information for my ATI card, Brand new ATI 5770 it injects it as Megalodon but Megalodons are RV600's and ATI 5770 is RV840, Could it be wrong? Maybe i should go back to RC4 basic, my DSDT and inject right info through Natit? Would your RC5 be reading ATY, Rom Bin image correctly?

@valv could i be right that the ACPI injector is injecting the wrong bios information for my ATI card, Brand new ATI 5770 it injects it as Megalodon but Megalodons are RV600's and ATI 5770 is RV840, Could it be wrong? Maybe i should go back to RC4 basic, my DSDT and inject right info through Natit? Would your RC5 be reading ATY, Rom Bin image correctly?

u can also load your own vbios (there's an option for it in boo.plist) thus u can get rid of whatever injector u've been using. try it safely, maybe am wrong though.

Edit: as this card is seemly new one, try playing with framebuffers to see if u can get it into play. If u'r lucky, it could come straight with 10.6.4 update.

btw, I really appreciated your previous post (astonishing).

@all, being working on themes, so far, it seems they do work. I'll update as soon as I am finished.

Greetz

Hi guys,

sorry for the silence.. been getting some rest and taking care of other stuff. But i did took a look at the installer and booter.

Let me check the posts... lot's of posts i've not been notified of...

I have a little confession. ;)

If AnV picked up the _DSM overriding from PCI ID, that feature is half baked, and needs a hashing out, I think...

Posting just because Azimutz nudged me.

-- TG

Hi TG, local mod ;);) Only now i saw you reply to my pm on VoodooProjects.. i missed the notification somehow...

will answer after this.

Yep, i took a look to the code and figured why your changed the "config" stuff on that diff; as you may have already noticed by the

postes here, it's not working properly. Also noticed the note on the post at VoodooProjects:

P.S.

Well, my disk is still orange. I need to look for elsewhere.

... but i only noticed it after i took a look at Andy's branch.

Will check it again and remove the pci id patch for now.

Ttyl...

Atllee, according to Chameleon's code, your framebuffer should be Motmot; there are 2 dev id's there; if you are getting Megalodon is probably because your cards dev id is not on the code!? Unknown dev id's default to Megalodon. Check on ati.c if your dev id is there. Check the framebuffers bellow too...

@valv, how is it going with the booter. Going to take another shot at it now, so if you have done any mods to it, now it's the time to get me up to date :D pm.

Bbl...

@Azimutz

Ok awsome now i can see my ID in there as Motmot i can see if i can change something inside a natit driver :)

Wondering why valv that it injects megalodon when my dev ID of 68b81002 is on the list as Motmot? Something not reading correctly?

I am maybe too much a newbie but how this loader can be better than a tweaked dsdt?? Actually everything work Graphics sound etc... even power management. Just sleep doesn"t work by itself when I have safari or chrome open (iv'e got pm_notification cancel etc...) thanks in advance for answering

Ok awsome now i can see my ID in there as Motmot i can see if i can change something inside a natit driver :)

Wondering why valv that it injects megalodon when my dev ID of 68b81002 is on the list as Motmot? Something not reading correctly?

Yep, 68b8 is there, you should get Motmot. All i can say on this is, i use GraphicsEnabler as injector for my X1300 (dev id 7181); it's always recognized as "Unknown" but my device is not on the code and this stuff is not even supposed to work for X1000 series. I tried adding my dev id but, no luck, still gets Unknown. If i replace Unknown (dev id 0x00000000) by the cards name, the name shows on System Profiler, so i don't get why does it fail on the other dev id's??!

Anyway, my card works fine with Megalodon on Snow, not on Leo but on Snow it does. I still have to patch kexts, Chameleon only does the injection!

If your card works fine with Megalodon, don't worry to much :D

I am maybe too much a newbie but how this loader can be better than a tweaked dsdt?? Actually everything work Graphics sound etc... even power management. Just sleep doesn"t work by itself when I have safari or chrome open (iv'e got pm_notification cancel etc...) thanks in advance for answering
This doesn't replace a tweaked dsdt. It allows you to load other ACPI tables besides "only" the DSDT one.

I'm not really the best guy to explain this :P

hi all, :unsure:

after a big mess with Andy's changes, I made too many revisions, rebuilds and tests to find my self reverting back to older revisions, incorporating new stuff (of Andy and some code from Asere) just to come up with this one

please be cool, test it out if u like (especially altee & Azi for newest ATi cards). I also added nvidia nvcap's code.

@Jlvaio, this could maybe fix your issue.

Big thank u to all these names (devs, testers and contributers, side by side).

Don't forget to give some feedback,. It'll ease to work remaining issues out.

Andy made some changes that was nifty, but somehow messed other things out. So I didn't put them yet into play, till they get fixed or so.

btw, Themes changing seems to work again (Tried switching between the default theme and Bullet, and it worked for me)

Greetz,

@Valv

The new boot file does indeed inject the right ATIframebuffer that is if it really does use Motmot i thought Motmot framebuffer was for RV700's? I thought ATI bring out a new ATIframbuffer for every new series card?

OK I'm trying to figure out where exactly does this file get the BIOS info from, My cards EFI version compile date is 25th Jan 2010, EFI version 113-C01301-XXX, BIOS version 012.019.000.003

The injector injects EFI Compile Jan 26 2009 this was for RV700 series cards, EFI version 113-B7710A-318 but the EFI differs with my new one this is also using same EFI as RV700's, where is the ATY, Bin Image coming from? From the BIOS of the GFX card or information in the code?

Sorry to be a pain, i'm just trying to figure out how exactly Chamelon talks to the GFX card.

Your doing a good job valv dont worry.

@Azimutz

I'm trying to force ATI4800Controller and ATIRadeonX2000 to load my card using various framebuffers maybe Motmot, Megalodon stuff like that but I'm getting kernel panic's, If i look inside ATIFramebuffer it says Megaloden, Lamna, Triakis, Lago, Hypoprion for RV600's as there is R600 properties but the ATI 5770 uses RV840 codenamed chipset. if i do a hex search of ATI4800Controller i can see all the 5700 ATI cards dev id's inside the file so I'm thinking half the support is there. I could be wrong but hey I will further look into it after i get some assignment done.