1537 replies to this topic

bs0d

bs0d

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

man this is a pre-release/variant.
btw, take a look around the forum you'll find many devs doing own stuff that just didn't stick into the final release.
sorry but, I don't think many over here understand what this does. just take a look at aserebln's or ab__73 bootloaders. maybe not that much people are interested in ACPI tables load as I was thinking. maybe I should remove this topic. anyway am sharing it and am excited to know it'll come to enjoyment later on

i understand more than you could possibly know.

perhaps the vooodoo team (if there is one still, which doesnt look like it) should concentrate on fixing the bugs instead of adding more bloat.

but its a far easier for members to take peoples work and commit.

CharredPC

CharredPC

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
A couple issues... as mentioned, after installing, default (and only) theme on EFI partition isn't used. I could live with that, though, if for ****'s sake, some build of Chameleon somewhere would solve the infernal hanging at SystemVersion.plist introduced in RC4. It only happens when trying to boot 10.5.8, and can be solved by fully booting into SL, restarting, then trying 10.5.8 again. It often happens after booting to Windows 7, which leads me to believe it's perhaps a bios-time thing... which makes sense, if booting into SL resets it back. What bugs me is this problem was NOT there in RC3, and no one can manage to fix it in any later release (though it's been reported, discussed and attempted multiple times).

valv, if you can get this glitch solved, you'll be my hero. I could care less if my ram and cpu are reported right, or even what my startup looks like. I just want it to be able to boot OSX... after all, isn't that what Chameleon was made for? ;)

Freaky Chokra

Freaky Chokra

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Dear Chokra,
Try rebuilding your mkexts (from your own kexts) and copying them in the right place, see what comes. for the error message on boot, try these:
1) for Fakesmc, try replacing the value of the"OSBundleRequired" key to "Safe Boot" without quotes into the info.plist file of this kext. try to this with any kext supposed to cause problems not loading at boot-up.
2) get rid of platformUUID.kext, and see if it gets it directly from the Bios.

the message stating "Apple_ACPI_SMC_platform could not load" is normal as you did not mod your LPCB device id, this is needed for Speed-Step. this message can also show up when you chose the wrong model for your hack.

Regarding ACPI Tables loading from Bios, take a look at AppleACPIPlatformExpert section. on the right side, you can see "ACPI Tables" that got loaded. tell me wich ones u suspect not to be loaded. One thing though, do not expect to get your CpuxCST and CpuxIST tables to be loaded directly from bios with this. to get those loaded, you have to go the known way, extacting 'em first and then putting 'em on your disk.

u know, using a branch is not as using trunk section. evert dev do the changes he intends to be important for one case or the other, (that do not exist in trunk).

Do you understand now how this is different from yours.
It gives us the chance to enjoy with our ACPI again (loading DSDT, SSDT, FADT, XSDT..), getting rid of many kexts (UUID, Restart..)

Hope you'll enjoy it like I do

Hello dear Valv. Thanks for the prompt reply!

However, I have posted how I got my system working back again ALONG WITH your boot loader. can you go through it again, please?

Just so we are on same page. I confirm that your bootloader does work perfectly. IN fact, now my nVidia Graphics card shows up in the PCI cards in the System profiler, which perviously it did not. Hope that is some constructive input from me to you. ;)

What I wrote then meant that the ./postflight script probably had something to do with "unpacking" (yeah that word I forgot to use in the last post) of the /Extra/Extensions.mkext file.

This script unpacked MY original (modded) kexts and that lead to all things going buggy. I fixed things as in teh previous post, and rebuilt the /Extra/Extensions.mkext file. Things are running smooth as before. Just I miss my customized boot screen theme. The plain vanilla Chameleon is really an eye sore. I just had edited a nice Hackintosh on Metal wallpaper and changed the icon placement location and other cosmetic settings of the boot theme. The original theme I edited was Twilight.

Now as for what you suggested:

1) I'll not modify the fakesmc from "root" to -> "safe boot". Coz I wanna try something else.

2) I'll remove the PlatformUUID.kext only if you confirm the system boots without it, actually. I've not yet had success ever by removing that file. And things get way messy once that gets deleted. I don't wanna ruin my currently 101% perfectly working install.
I just fixed my issue with GeekBench crashing since I upgraded from 10.6.0, and that was way back!
I read a post from an actual employee of Geekbench developers. It was an amazing, and very simple fix.

The last part where you suggested:

Regarding ACPI Tables loading from Bios, take a look at AppleACPIPlatformExpert section. on the right side, you can see "ACPI Tables" that got loaded. tell me wich ones u suspect not to be loaded. One thing though, do not expect to get your CpuxCST and CpuxIST tables to be loaded directly from bios with this. to get those loaded, you have to go the known way, extacting 'em first and then putting 'em on your disk.

How do I extract the *CST and *IST tables? From where, or using what? And where in my disk do I have to place them or insert them?

Lastly, I am not at all into SPEEDSTEP. I turn off the PC when Not in Use.

Hoping for a quick reply. And, that the bootloader is working fine. Just, what else it is supposed to do, I will soon find out and keep putting up reports. Ok?

Regards,

Freaky Chokra.

PS: AnV.. .Greetings. Don't mind bs0d. No offence to bs0d.

Your (or maybe your teams work till AnV XNU kernels 9.8.0 was simply Awesome!) Till I got myself a Core2Duo and have been using Vanilla kernel ever since. Both in Leopard and in Snow Leopard.

Sayonara!

valv

valv

InsanelyMac Architect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Interests:Operating Systems<br />Networking<br />Security

perhaps the vooodoo team (if there is one still, which doesnt look like it) should concentrate on fixing the bugs instead of adding more bloat.

but its a far easier for members to take peoples work and commit.

:hysterical: ,whatever! am gettin' :censored2: with your thinkin'. take it easy and let us respect this non-sense.

A couple issues... as mentioned, after installing, default (and only) theme on EFI partition isn't used. I could live with that, though, if for ****'s sake,

Just I miss my customized boot screen theme. The plain vanilla Chameleon is really an eye sore. I just had edited a nice Hackintosh on Metal wallpaper and changed the icon placement location and other cosmetic settings of the boot theme. The original theme I edited was Twilight.

my fault, sorry guys for this. I will remediate to this heck quickly. in fact I compiled it with default theme embedded :tomato: sorry for this

EDIT= verified. it doesn't seem to be a compile mistake. maybe renaming your theme to default and replacing the one in the first place could resolve the problem. afraid to say we have to stick with this for now.

some build of Chameleon somewhere would solve the infernal hanging at SystemVersion.plist introduced in RC4. It only happens when trying to boot 10.5.8, and can be solved by fully booting into SL, restarting, then trying 10.5.8 again. It often happens after booting to Windows 7, which leads me to believe it's perhaps a bios-time thing... which makes sense, if booting into SL resets it back. What bugs me is this problem was NOT there in RC3, and no one can manage to fix it in any later release (though it's been reported, discussed and attempted multiple times).

valv, if you can get this glitch solved, you'll be my hero. I could care less if my ram and cpu are reported right, or even what my startup looks like. I just want it to be able to boot OSX... after all, isn't that what Chameleon was made for? :rolleyes:

I could be wrong, but could the RTC patching (dsdt or whatever) get rid of this? are u sinking time with online server (on 7, sl & leo) ?
really don't know, but can this fix the heck:
1) correct your clock to current time2) go on terminal and type: sudo nano /etc/rc.local3) now type this: date `date -u +%m%d%H%M%Y`4) save & exit nano (ctrl O & ctrl X)5) always on terminal, type: sudo nano /etc/rc.shutdown.local6) type: date -u `date +%m%d%H%M%Y`7) save & exit nano (ctrl O & ctrl X)8) reboot into se7en, check your clock then go back into sl.
not sure if this could fix it though. but give it a try anyway

Hello dear Valv. Thanks for the prompt reply!

However, I have posted how I got my system working back again ALONG WITH your boot loader. can you go through it again, please?

Just so we are on same page. I confirm that your bootloader does work perfectly. IN fact, now my nVidia Graphics card shows up in the PCI cards in the System profiler, which perviously it did not. Hope that is some constructive input from me to you. ;)

What I wrote then meant that the ./postflight script probably had something to do with "unpacking" (yeah that word I forgot to use in the last post) of the /Extra/Extensions.mkext file.

This script unpacked MY original (modded) kexts and that lead to all things going buggy. I fixed things as in teh previous post, and rebuilt the /Extra/Extensions.mkext file. Things are running smooth as before.
Now as for what you suggested:

1) I'll not modify the fakesmc from "root" to -> "safe boot". Coz I wanna try something else.

don't forget to go safe and keep copies of working stuff

2) I'll remove the PlatformUUID.kext only if you confirm the system boots without it, actually. I've not yet had success ever by removing that file. And things get way messy once that gets deleted. I don't wanna ruin my currently 101% perfectly working install.
I just fixed my issue with GeekBench crashing since I upgraded from 10.6.0, and that was way back!
I read a post from an actual employee of Geekbench developers. It was an amazing, and very simple fix.

do this only if you can see an uuid on the bios screen. mine works without that kext neither an smbios key for it. It is so that the bootloader takes care of dumping and taking care of it.

The last part where you suggested:
How do I extract the *CST and *IST tables? From where, or using what? And where in my disk do I have to place them or insert them?

Lastly, I am not at all into SPEEDSTEP. I turn off the PC when Not in Use.

maybe then u don't need these files, but if u need to know then go here. I wrote up some ways on how to get those tables dumped (second post)

Hoping for a quick reply. And, that the bootloader is working fine. Just, what else it is supposed to do, I will soon find out and keep putting up reports. Ok?

Regards,

Freaky Chokra.

I'll count on you, thanks
that's the way we grow things up over here ;)

CharredPC

CharredPC

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

I could be wrong, but could the RTC patching (dsdt or whatever) get rid of this? are u sinking time with online server (on 7, sl & leo) ?
really don't know, but can this fix the heck:

1) correct your clock to current time2) go on terminal and type: sudo nano /etc/rc.local3) now type this: date `date -u +%m%d%H%M%Y`4) save & exit nano (ctrl O & ctrl X)5) always on terminal, type: sudo nano /etc/rc.shutdown.local6) type: date -u `date +%m%d%H%M%Y`7) save & exit nano (ctrl O & ctrl X)8) reboot into se7en, check your clock then go back into sl.
not sure if this could fix it though. but give it a try anyway

I'm sure all the OS's are syncing time with an online server; that's normal behavior. My point is, RC3 worked great and never had this problem. This bug started with RC4 (and continues in your build) so I view it as 'something got broken.' I wouldn't even budge off of RC3 if I didn't want hibernation ability with my 4GB of RAM....

Monkey D. Luffy

Monkey D. Luffy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:I will become the Pirate King!
@valv, anv and chameleon team, thanks for your work!

BTW, can someone point me to the link for the sources of this specific release? I need to compile it myself. Thanks!

valv

valv

InsanelyMac Architect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Interests:Operating Systems<br />Networking<br />Security
Go SVN

bolly

bolly

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
how to uninstall this version of chameleon.. i want to revert to rc4...my hackintosh cannot boot in 64 bit ang fakesmc cannot be loaded...i already run the rc4 but it cannot overwrite this rc5

milanca

milanca

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
Hi,

I am using this loader for quite some time now. It is the best loader for my board so far. An option to load all of the ACPI tables is just great. Thanks again.

Maybe some users would need this info to better understand the possibilities of this modified Chameleon. I personally assisted in testing it on EP35-DS3 (P35 chipset) together with AnV while developing (thanks bro again). Besides all of the other possibilities regarding ACPI, my goal was to get rid of OpenHaltRestart. Before the latest official Chameleon release there was a modified version (by Duvel or Rekursor i really can't remember now, sorry about that) so fixed FADT.aml could be loaded and thus OHR removed. Chameleon Team integrated this patch into their latest release (restart works with RestartFix=Yes param added) which is great of course but unfortunately it doesn't work on P35 chipsets. Ability to load FADT isn't integrated so OHR had to be used again or revert back to older loader (without all the newly integrated functions).

So this loader gives us everything from the Chameleon plus full ACPI control. Now i can run my 10.6.3 on EP35-DS3 with only one kext, fakesmc.

Regards!

Azimutz

Azimutz

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Interests:At the moment, OSx86.. In general, music, audiophile, computers.. to much to mention...
Well, i wish you guys start teaching people how to install over Terminal instead of using installer packages!
And before someone remembers to criticize these words, i do plan to do just that, when i have time.
For a change, you guys having troubles loading kexts while booting k64, are bieng victims of "bad" postinstall scripts.
Let's analyze:
1-
mkextunpack -d "${2}/Extra/Extensions" "${2}/Extra/Extensions.mkext"
This is the line that unpacks Extensions.mkext if you have it in Extra; "mkextunpack" extracts ONLY the current active arch, meaning that if you are unpacking a mkext that has both i386/x86_64 archs in it and you run it on a system that's running k32, ONLY i386 arch is extracted!! It's just the way "mkextunpack" works.

2- to make matters worse..
ditto --noextattr --noqtn --arch i386 "${2}/.Chameleon/Extra/Extensions" "${temp}/Extensions"
this is the line that copies kests on E/Extensions folder to the temporary folder before "kextcache" creates mkext... noticed the arch being copied??

So, anyway you do it, with the installer you always end up with only i386 arch kexts/mkext.
Boot with arch=i386, replace the kexts and you're god to go.
Hope i'm not saying BS.. this was just a quick look at it. I can't bare to see you guys suffer like that :(

milanca

milanca

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
Installers can screw things up sometimes. For me the best way is to install everything manually. For Chameleon, if you download from its website, there is a folder 'doc' and README file inside. To install it you need three command lines to execute.

Normal Install (non-RAID):
--------------------------

Suppose that your installation is on /dev/disk0s2

- Install boot0 to the MBR:
sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

- Install boot1h to the partition's bootsector:
sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

- Install boot to the partition's root directory:
sudo cp boot /

No need to use startupfiletool anymore!

FKA

FKA

are we there yet?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Well, i wish you guys start teaching people how to install over Terminal instead of using installer packages!

How to install Chameleon manually

How to install Chameleon manually to EFI partition

D

Ooops forgot one:

How to install chameleon manually to a software RAID

bs0d

bs0d

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
@Azimutz, you posted a install script that was designed for leopard.

Lolz.

Azimutz

Azimutz

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Interests:At the moment, OSx86.. In general, music, audiophile, computers.. to much to mention...

@Azimutz, you posted a install script that was designed for leopard.

Lolz.

You're maybe right but, that's not what i've done! I downloaded the package from the first post, extracted the postinstall scripts and...
Do i need to explain more?
If someone posted anything designed for Leo, wasn't me!

p.s.: @bs0d, i reacted like if you were mocking at my comment; if that's not the case, sorry ;)

By the way, i don't have nothing against installers and there's nothing wrong in posting stuff designed for Leo, just as long as you know you're doing it and you mention it. Installers are supposed to easy life, not complicate it!
Anyway, to be constructive, removing the --arch option on the ditto line should make the package work fine for the arch you're booted on.
Just keep in mind "mkextunpack" only extracts one arch at a time, the one in use. And this option --noextattr, also needs --norsrc, according to "man ditto".

Edited by Azimutz, 30 April 2010 - 08:57 PM.

bs0d

bs0d

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
well people will just post stuff without clearly checking .... to score brownie points ? .. feed their ego ?

so valv, you clearly didnt check what your posting .... and people wonder why this scene is a mess.

have fun :(

Freaky Chokra

Freaky Chokra

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

how to uninstall this version of chameleon.. i want to revert to rc4...my hackintosh cannot boot in 64 bit ang fakesmc cannot be loaded...i already run the rc4 but it cannot overwrite this rc5

Hi bolly.

Firstly, you can NOT uninstall a boot loader.

You have to overwrite it with another one. And, the most frequently and easy ways is to do so from a working OSX install. It can be a "backed up" SnowLeo, or another Leopard residing on another partition.
Just like I have.
[See my sig :unsure: Lolz!]

Installers can screw things up sometimes. For me the best way is to install everything manually. For Chameleon, if you download from its website, there is a folder 'doc' and README file inside. To install it you need three command lines to execute.

Normal Install (non-RAID):
--------------------------

Suppose that your installation is on /dev/disk0s2

- Install boot0 to the MBR:
sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

- Install boot1h to the partition's bootsector:
sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

- Install boot to the partition's root directory:
sudo cp boot /

No need to use startupfiletool anymore!

By the way, Milanca's post as above lays down the commands necessary to over write with a new or older or whatever, OTHER boot loader.

Lastly, after you type the last line to copy the "boot" file to /Volumes/(your Snow Leopard partition name)

Do enter the last command: sudo chmod 755 boot

1]
Attached is my working boot loader: Chameleon RC3 RC 658. Attached File  Chameleon_RC3_RC_658.zip   872.66KB   11 downloads

I don't exactly remember the exact version revision number. But it has served me well since the past 8 months.
There is I think newer version(s), but this seems to do the trick. You can replace your existing bootloader with this and things might get working.

2]
Another thing might be that, you might not have installed the most important and correct working decrypter kext.
Leopard used the DSMOS.kext, or Appledecrypt.Kext, etc.
Here, in Snow Leopard (10.6.0->10.6.3) you need the FakeSMC.kext. Attached File  fakesmc.kext.AnV_Improved.zip   30.54KB   101 downloads
I've also attached the latest working version by AnV, the guru! It is simply Awesome!

Hope this should get your setup working.

Regards,
Freaky Chokra

Freaky Chokra

Freaky Chokra

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

You're maybe right but, that's not what i've done! I downloaded the package from the first post, extracted the ./postinstall scripts and...
Do i need to explain more?
If someone posted anything designed for Leo, wasn't me!

p.s.: @bs0d, i reacted like if you were mocking at my comment; if that's not the case, sorry :)

By the way, i don't have nothing against installers and there's nothing wrong in posting stuff designed for Leo, just as long as you know you're doing it and you mention it. Installers are supposed to easy life, not complicate it!
Anyway, to be constructive, removing the --arch option on the ditto line should make the package work fine for the arch you're booted on.
Just keep in mind "mkextunpack" only extracts one arch at a time, the one in use. And this option --noextattr, also needs --norsrc, according to "man ditto".

Hi Azimtuz. And bs0d.
Nicely analyzed my input on the mkext unpack routine of the ./postflight install script, and the way the mkextunpack works.
I don't know why it does the way it does things. Guess, I'd have to take up C and Shell programming/scripting again! ;) Sigh! Btw, I just gave my Structured Languages Exam yesterday, and C and OOPs is a tough boy!

Anyways... Greetings valv. How're you?
More updates and feedback that I'd promised as my exams were done with ;)... Here:
As I currently use the following .mkext rebuild script from my root login, whenever trying out new implementations.

chown -Rf 0:0 /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions/chown -Rf root:wheel /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions/chmod -Rf 755 /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions/kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions/chown -Rf 0:0 /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions/chown -Rf root:wheel /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions/chmod -Rf 755 /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions/kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions/

This way, I've both the .mkext files packing in i386 (32 bit) and x86_64 (64 bit) KEXTs packed together, the installer rebuild script could have messed up things.

And, as we all know, SnowLeo is very very eccentrically finicky about kexts and plists and other stuff that loads.

That is why, I have refrained from Speed-Stepping etc etc etc. even though, BlackCH, DB1, MasterChief have a thread that has almost achieved perfection on the ASUS P5K-VM motherboard.

Well, I used to envy other people having the GigaByte UD3 P35 chipset series... I still can't remember the entire mobo model numbers... ;) :P :tomato:
Till, these gurus made amazing progress on my mobo model.

So to summarize (for those experiencing the same problems faced by me), the way I fixed the non-bootable issue as under:

1] Booted to Leopard in root login. Replaced with older Chameleon RC3 RC 658 Attached File  Chameleon_RC3_RC_658.zip   872.66KB   4 downloads (I think that is the revision or release number) boot file, using terminal commands as posted above by Milanca.

Though, recently I'd replaced that with this newer PC-EFI 10.6 boot file : Attached File  PC_EFI_10.6_boot_file.rar   174.66KB   6 downloads The PC-EFI 10.6 boot Installer Attached File  PC_EFI_10.6_Installer.zip   1.27MB   10 downloads

2] Had to delete the unpacked kexts in /Extra/Extensions.
3] Replaced all of them, from a backup I keep as /Extra/Xtnsns/*.kext -> fakesmc, platformuuid, Realtek8139, Yukon2, OHR.kext, RestartOSX.kext, etc. among few others.
4] Rebooted to SnowLeo using arch=i386 -x32 -f -v flags. Go to login, went to root login. used the kext rebuild commands said as above.
3] Rebooted couple of times, tested using GeekBench and XBench. Browsers, uTorrent, etc.
4] Simply backed up the RC 658 "boot" file by command: cp boot boot.658
5] Then went old school, used terminal command to simply copy the newer "boot" file to /Volumes/Snow/
6] I Didn't write the Newer boot1h and boot0 files to HDD header.
I don't know what they do or are they even required... Silly me! :P :tomato:
7] Edited the com.apple.Boot.plist file as suggested by valv for the DSDT, HPET, GraphicsEnabler, UHCIReset, EHCIRequire flags.
8] Voila! New bootloader (with the basic Chameleon boot screen :whistle:] with scores of lines as output.
Several failures in loading XXXX.aml files by bootloader. I think it couldn't read the ACPI tables from my motherboard, or I don't know too much into it.
Or maybe I need to remove the DSDT.aml file in /Extra/ folder and see how it goes.
Or as suggested by valv, try removing the PlatformUUID.kext and see if SL does boot or not. :whistle:

Well, that's what I've been able to do yet so far. Today, I'll be into trying tons of stuff, and keep on with the updates.
I'm a free bird! Yay!

And, yeah... valv now I'm a "geek" ;) ... Finally...my 100 posts! :unsure: after 5 years! Ha ha ha! :)

AnyTime, buddy. Anytime! ;)
I like to move it, move it.... Lolz! Move towards progress... Perfection and Refinement.

By the way, in my own guide, I've just been lenient about posting the Time difference issue fix.
It is the most simplest thing ever, trust me! There is no need to run commands etc. Nothing! Nada!
All Credits to guru BlackCH... and his xXx 10.5.6 Universal Discs. I've almost all of 'em.
From his 10.5.6 install disc, I simply extracted the "Loacal Time Toggle" package (that is not a typo... the service daemon is named as such), using Pacifist and installed it. Kablaaam!.. Problem dismissed!
Here it is:
Loacal time toggle installer package -> Attached File  LoacalTimeToggle.pkg.rar   5.7KB   26 downloads
Simply run the package, and the time issue should be fixed!
I've been doing that as first thing since I had started experimenting Snow Leopard installations.

Till next time, Happy Hacking!

Regards,
Freaky Chokra

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 2,874 posts
Thanks to all refreshed the old+save, manual install way of bootloader files !
Q: I know that installers(.pgk) also include an modded fdisk, installed over the orig. (Apple) fdisk .
Does anyone know what excat the diff of that fdisk to Apple fdisk or what reason for that modded fdisk?
Some users may use orig. Apple fdisk
when using that
sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0 command ! (because OS X updates also fdisk sometimes = modded fdisk overwritten !)
Also it can be that that modded fdisk (with .pgk) is from 10.4 or 10.5 and maybe not 10.6 ?

Azimutz

Azimutz

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Q: I know that installers(.pgk) also include an modded fdisk, installed over the orig. (Apple) fdisk .
Does anyone know what excat the diff of that fdisk to Apple fdisk or what reason for that modded fdisk?...

Mitch, check this topic: http://forum.voodoop...pic,1141.0.html
It's explained there. Basically the now renamed to "fdisk440" (pass the word!!) fdisk, writes only to the first 440 bytes of MBR boot sector, leaving Windows bootsector intact (something like this). The source is on the repo: http://forge.voodoop...unk/fdisk.tproj

Hi Azimtuz. And bs0d.
Nicely analyzed my input on the mkext unpack routine of the ./postflight install script, and the way the mkextunpack works.
I don't know why it does the way it does things. Guess, I'd have to take up C and Shell programming/scripting again!...

Hi Freaky.. so, are you the autor of those scripts? As far as i can see, they are the exact same scripts present on Chameleon. They are untouched since RC1, that wasn't "supposed" to work under Snow.
Well, i'm no programming/scripting genius, just learning. "mkextunpack just works like that, nothing we can do about it; there's no way to make it extract more than one arch at a time!
As for "kextcache":
kextcache -a i386 -a x86_664 -m /mkext /kext repo
to create mkext for Snow under Leo. (kextcache -m, won't do the trick!)
kextcache -mkext1 /mkext /kext repo
to create mkext for Leo under Snow.
kextcache -m /mkext /kext repo
caches all archs present on kexts either on Leo or Snow.

I'd dump the installer or make it just a booter installer (no kext/mkext, etc... handling).
In place of the installer, tell people how to install over Terminal, point them to guides, whatever...
But, that's just me.

Freaky Chokra

Freaky Chokra

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

:hysterical: ,whatever! am gettin' :censored2: with your thinkin'. take it easy and let us respect this non-sense.

my fault, sorry guys for this. I will remediate to this heck quickly. in fact I compiled it with default theme embedded :tomato: sorry for this

EDIT= verified. it doesn't seem to be a compile mistake. maybe renaming your theme to default and replacing the one in the first place could resolve the problem. afraid to say we have to stick with this for now.

hey man, Congrats
u are a geek now :dance_24: :)

Hey Dear valv!

Well, Today's been pretty hectic.

Well, I was simply trying out another ALC 883 modification in the Original AppleHDA.kext version 1.8.4fc3 from 10.6.3 update.

And, it didn't work. Then there was the latest build of VoodooHDA.kext version 0.2.6 x64 bit for Snow Leopard.
That too didn't fulfil my expectations. IT gave only stereo output -> hence, no use to me! :(

Then, I tried restoring my old AppleHDA.kext which was binary patched by hex editing.
That too was failing. But finally @ 1:30am, I've managed to fix the issue and restore a working copy of the Kext back to S/L/E/
So audio is now alive. Phew!

However, I wished to inform you about the progress on your new boot loader.

As quoted above, you asked to change the folder name to default, so that your boot loader could use the theme and background files located there.
For eg., my theme was Twilight. I've to rename folder "Twilight" to folder "Default" or "default". Whichever.

But. But. I tried either and even removed the original "default" theme folder...
This bootloader still shows the default chameleon boot graphics, etc. etc. etc.
:( :unsure: :wacko: :(

Lastly, How should I post my results on the run-time (boot-time) DSDT table loading errors, etc.?
I am thinking of shooting a video using my phone cam. Would that be fine?
Coz, still it doesn't load my tables. I've blazed my eyes through the runaway text output ...

It lists all the kinds of tables:
SSDT.aml
DSDT.aml
FFDT.aml
??DT.aml

All these tables could not be loaded -> that is the output.

Hope this will lead to further the progress and eliminating minuscule errors.

Lastly, as I told in my first post, during boot time, it pauses for 5 seconds. :( :unsure: :wacko:

I have seen this error when I did not have a Core2Duo processor. It was a Pentium D 945 3.4 GHz (dual core) processor [478 pins].... u know....

But not with your boot loader.
The earlier PC-EFI 10.6 latest boot loader (I'd installed) did not present that error and my system booted to desktop in less than 15 seconds. It was even shorter time with the latest FakeSMC.kext version 2.5 from guru AnV.

But this version of the bootloader has added that 5 seconds pause, and "that shortened" boot sequence also has increased by almost 8-10 seconds. Total Time increase = about 20 seconds. :( :unsure: :wacko: :blink:

-_- I hope this is some valuable input from me. And taken constructively. -_-

Regards,
Freaky Chokra

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy