Best Laptops With Full Hardware Support and Acceleration

jacob019

281 posts in this topic

I have an Acer 3680 which I bought this past weekend. I have almost everything working including sound from speakers. The only thing not working for me is the Yukon Ethernet port. Using wiFi exclusively and may get a USB to ethernet adapter if I decide I need a hard wire for speed. Anyway, use SkippyRetards ALC883 package and select 6 ports. This gives 3 sets of speakers in sound preference panel. Select the 1st set and you should get sound from the speakers. Be sure to go in /Applications/Utilities/MidiSetup to set the volumes for sound I/O and defaults. Only thing with the speakers is A) tinny sound as expected and :D pretty low volume even with Volume turn all the way up. There may be a way increase the amp gain using the info plsit for AppleHDA, but i haven't played with that (yet).

When you plug in headphones, do the speakers automatically turn off? I saw where somebody else had gotten speakers working, but still had this problem.

Plugging in headphones does not disconnect speakers. You have to use sound prefernce pane to select your input and output source. This is not a "bug" but rather how Mac's work as far as I know.

Acer is not using a standard pinout for the ALC883 that is why we have some driver issues. But honestly I have been able to get around everything except the Marvell Yukon (which I think is tied into the ALC883 somehow) and deep sleep. I have dual boot with XP ( Trashed the Vista Basic that came preploaded) and I sprung for an AirLink 101 USB to Ethernet adapter (12.99 +S&H at Fry's). Will use SustainableSoftworks.com driver for Mac side.

As someone said, this laptop is tough to beat for 4 bills. It's no MacBook in quality or design, but its half the price and great for casual or business use. I wouldn't try to do any serious graphics work or video editing using it, but I wouldn't on a MacBook either. Need the MacBook Pro for that.

A Dell Inspiron E1505/6400 might also be a good choice. Most components are working right off from the start. Sigmatel 9200 sound seems to be working now.

Only "problem" is that you can only run on one core, but this applies to all Dells and might get resolved with future kernels.

I just noticed that Newegg has a Compaq laptop for $485. With shipping its still under $500 (by a hair). I don't own this laptop, but generally any laptop with GMA950 and a Celeron M 4xx shouldn't have too much trouble with Mac OS. Avoid Celeron M 3xx and Pentium M chips, as they are only SSE2.

Specs:

Operating System Windows XP Home

CPU Type Intel Celeron M 410(1.46GHz)

Screen 15.4" WXGA

Memory Size 512MB DDR2

Hard Disk 40GB

Optical Drive DVD/CD-RW Combo

Graphics Card Intel GMA950

Video Memory shared memory

Communication Modem, LAN and WLAN

Card slot 1 x Express Card

Dimensions 14.1" x 10.4" x 1.38-1.77"

Weight 6.5 lbs.

Linky:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834147395

I just noticed that Newegg has a Compaq laptop for $485. With shipping its still under $500 (by a hair). I don't own this laptop, but generally any laptop with GMA950 and a Celeron M 4xx shouldn't have too much trouble with Mac OS. Avoid Celeron M 3xx and Pentium M chips, as they are only SSE2.

Well, looks good for the price. However, I would first check what LAN, WLAN and audio chipset they are using. As an example, the Compaq/HP NX-series are generally looking good as well (GMA950), but as far as I can see noone has ever got any sound out of them (AD1981HD chipset).

If searched long enough on the forums and through the Wiki now for laptops with a high compatibility.

In the end I had to choose between the Acer Travelmate 2480/2490-series and the Dell E1505/6400. I went finally for the Dell. Sigmatel 9200 seems to be working now, LAN is working and I went for a TrueMobile 1390 which also seems to work fine after some editing. CPU is a Dual Core T2250, so I will have to deactivate one core and hope there will be any solution to this in the future kernel.

Any idea if the Express card slot is working in Dell Inspiron 6400/9400 models? Does it show up anywhere?

Not that this would really be crucial, but I recently found a cheap PCMCIA to Express adapter.

No my hackingtos doesn't recognized it and it doesn't show op...

Some findings about Lenovo T60:

There are many different configurations out there.

T60 with Intel Graphics: should work ok. AFAIK.

T60 with ATI X1400 does work with CI & QE but you cannot change resolutions. You can not run a split desktop with external monitor. Mouse tearing at ist best ;)

T60 wide: ATI X1400 graphics are a pain in the a**. Resulotion is locked in 4:3 (1400x1050) mode. No way to get it to 16:10 (1680x1050). The internal display is always recognized as a CRT and not as a LCD. You have heavy mouse tearing and ugly 140px wide black boarders on each displayside.

I have the T60 wide and did not manage to get sound working very well. sound out kinda works, but only plays files with 44.1khz for me. wav files with 22kHz have heavy distortion. No Input at all.

If you'd ask me, the T60 (with X1400) is no recommendation for OSX86.

No my hackingtos doesn't recognized it and it doesn't show op...

Now that's a pity. While I have no use for it now, it might have become interesting in the future. I thought there was quite some chance for it to be working, since AFAIK the Express slot can work in PCI-Express (1x) mode. Would be interesting to know what kind of Express card controller genuine Mac HW is using.

I have Acer Aspire 1652wlmi Pm-1.7\ 512mb ddr2\ 80gb\ X300 64mb

qe, ci, openGL are working with callisto and koverg patch, wide screen 1280x800 no artifacts with mighty mouse

network card work too, have wright acces on NTFS.

Everything work good.

xbench v1.2 result 49.78

ecs g556 is working super.. ;) ethernet, usb, dvd, graphics (ati mobility radeon 9700), touchpad, sound are all working after install. laptop is really fast, havent encountered any problem yet other than mouse tearing which is very to solve.. by the way, what is qe/ci? how can i know it is working for my vid?

I have an Acer Aspire 3680 too. I have found that 10.4.7 runs better on this than 10.4.8. Everything is working nicely, this includes sleep, video (CI + QE), WiFi (Atheros). No issues whatsoever during install/first boot. Sound requires patch (can't remember which) and only works with internal speakers. Ethernet I haven't tested. Battery indicator works with ACPI patch but sleep works perfect without it. I tried 10.4.8 but much more work would be needed to get sleep working properly if at all - I can't function without sleep. Best value Hacky around (In Oz at least) picked this up for $600 AU, 1/3 of MB price ($1749) which can't even burn DVD's.

Baxterb,

When you say sleep works in 10.4.7 are you refering to deep sleep. By this I mean suspend to RAM where all power is "off" including LCD and fans, but when you wake from sleep you quickly return to where you left off. Basically real Macintosh behavior. Also, is this sleep mode you refer to initiated by closing the lid, selecting sleep from the apple menu, or by the energy saver timing out based on your settings. Or all 3.

As you can see from my signature, I have the 3680 also. A great deal on a decent computer, but I have no deep sleep or ethernet ( using usb to ethernet adapter works though). I have it set to never sleep because I can't get it to wake. I just have it set to spin down disk and turn off lcd if I close lid, or energy saver times out. If I select sleep from apple menu, then it won't wake.

Yes DEEP sleep. Sleep to RAM or whatever you want to call it. All fans are off LCD HDD everything. This can be initiated by closing the lid, selecting sleep in Appl menu or letting it go to sleep through energy saver. Apart from being able to upgrade OS's easily this works much the same as a real macbook, no niceties like magsafe or mini DVI but at the price I am very happy. I am a long time Mac user and have always relied on their great power management/sleep functions and this is as good. Wakes up just as fast, you have to press a key on the KB though to get it to wake (opening the lid is not enough). Also can be put to sleep by power button which brings up menu for shutdown sleep restart etc. Also being a 4** series celeron supports SSE3 which is nice. Speed is fine for me, but because no speed step I only get about 2 - 2.5 hours out of the battery. I have a t2050 coming for it though am pretty sure I'm going to get a black screen with that one. Hope this helps.

baxterb,

That is interesting. I am running 10.4.9 w/8.9.1 kernel. I can't get S3 at all, let alone wake. I just get the screen to go black and HDD spindown, but fan continues to run. Overall everything works well, just a few minor ( at least to me) issues, like sleep. However, being a long time Mac user, I do miss deep sleep. I may try downgrading the kernel to see if that makes a difference. Although that may also require some extension changes as well.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on as I would like to run a later kernel but can't be without sleep, It would be useless to me if I couldn't just open the laptop and be working within seconds. I have been very happy with this laptop in OS X it is much faster than my t42 mainly because of the SSE3 and proper vid support but even still you'd expect a 'proper' pentium m would be quicker. For the price it is really quite good, just hope the t2050 will work with full speedstep etc.. but I doubt it. Also reading some posts it seems the 533 CD's require 1 core to be disabled so it may not make it any faster anyway under OS X, bit better battery life would be nice too though.

A T60 with GMA 950 is going to cost a lot more than a MacBook. Is you are going to buy a hackintosh, you should at least buy one that is way cheaper than the genuine article.

The Acer TM 2428 (I wrote a review for notebookreview.com) would be a great place to start. The HP sounds great too.

Some findings about Lenovo T60:

There are many different configurations out there.

T60 with Intel Graphics: should work ok. AFAIK.

T60 with ATI X1400 does work with CI & QE but you cannot change resolutions. You can not run a split desktop with external monitor. Mouse tearing at ist best ;)

T60 wide: ATI X1400 graphics are a pain in the a**. Resulotion is locked in 4:3 (1400x1050) mode. No way to get it to 16:10 (1680x1050). The internal display is always recognized as a CRT and not as a LCD. You have heavy mouse tearing and ugly 140px wide black boarders on each displayside.

I have the T60 wide and did not manage to get sound working very well. sound out kinda works, but only plays files with 44.1khz for me. wav files with 22kHz have heavy distortion. No Input at all.

If you'd ask me, the T60 (with X1400) is no recommendation for OSX86.

I've got the same as you, T60 2gb ram, 120gb hd, x1400, wide screen

Everything is correctly installed with 10.4.8 kernel 8.8.1. My resolution is 1400x1050 and I can't go above that :tomato:

Sound is working, mouse tearing is almost gone, wifi doesn't work, ...

It's not the best machine you can get for a hackintosh but if you received it from work you won't say 'no' :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
baxterb,

That is interesting. I am running 10.4.9 w/8.9.1 kernel. I can't get S3 at all, let alone wake. I just get the screen to go black and HDD spindown, but fan continues to run. Overall everything works well, just a few minor ( at least to me) issues, like sleep. However, being a long time Mac user, I do miss deep sleep. I may try downgrading the kernel to see if that makes a difference. Although that may also require some extension changes as well.

Reptar - have you tried this yet? - I bought a 3680 at Best Buy y'day because they were $399 again - graphics, wifi, etc... work great on 10.4.8 but I cannot sleep either - just wanted to see if a second person has verified 10.4.7 allows for deep sleep and, if so, if you lost the ability to use any hardware that was working with 10.4.8 and above?