Snow Leopard Install for Asus P6X58D Premium

r0tt3n

352 posts in this topic

I'll give em a try tonight. Is the non firewire one the better one to use instead of your previous one now? And with the audio one, I should drop HDAEnabler but keep the legacy kext right? Is ethernet in these ones too allowing the Legacy Yukon kext to be dropped?

Firewire DSDT - No firewire, no Speedstep and C-States. CPU Freq sticks @ 2.8GHz (Turbo). Sleep works fine.

NonFirewire DSDT - No Firewire, Speedstep and C-States working. Sleep working fine.

Audio DSDT - Same as Firewire DSDT but also no Audio (it's greyed out in the taskbar and no devices in SysPref.

Would you recommend using the NonFirewire DSDT for now? Is it more advanced (better) than your previous working one?

I'll give em a try tonight. Is the non firewire one the better one to use instead of your previous one now? And with the audio one, I should drop HDAEnabler but keep the legacy kext right? Is ethernet in these ones too allowing the Legacy Yukon kext to be dropped?

I think he is saying that you shouldn't change any of your other files and just see what the DSDT files do by themselves first :P I had the same problem where firewire kept my computer from sleeping. If everything is working, then try to drop those kexts. :)

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I'm trying to decide between the P6X58D and gigabyte's GA-X58A-UD7.

Is it safe to say that at this point the Gigabyte board is easier to hackingtosh than the Asus? Or does it make little difference?

I have both since we needed to get two computers so I thought to diversify :P So far they each have their strengths and weaknesses but I love them equally. The Gigabyte bios is so detailed but so confusing sometimes! :)

Firewire DSDT - No firewire, no Speedstep and C-States. CPU Freq sticks @ 2.8GHz (Turbo). Sleep works fine.

NonFirewire DSDT - No Firewire, Speedstep and C-States working. Sleep working fine.

Audio DSDT - Same as Firewire DSDT but also no Audio (it's greyed out in the taskbar and no devices in SysPref.

Would you recommend using the NonFirewire DSDT for now? Is it more advanced (better) than your previous working one?

It's as I suspected with the audio...adding it to the DSDT "breaks" everything just like misplaced firewire code snippet. The only difference is that here I'm positive of the address and ports of the audio. Firewire will be clear once I get a look at the front page of the I/O reg and see where the firewire kexts are actually loading. In the meantime I have one last option to fix firewire that I'm uploading here.

I'm assuming that you are using your audio kexts with the "audio" dsdt correct? The code, at best, will be merely cosmetic should an application require it if data in the system profiler isn't enough. Ironically more boards are (suddenly) using the older 889 codec, especially the higher-end mobos while putting the 888 and non compatible yet "best quality" or "new" codecs on lower mobos. MSI, EVGA, and Gigabyte are all doing this. Seeing as how high end and low end mobos are virtually identical when running SL I can see the marketing and business angle of their approach...a silent way to support and entice people to easily use OSX while openly opposing it. ASUS is probably the only company who isn't doing this. If you have an external audio card that uses core audio you can turn off internal audio entirely since the audio will be externally powered.

As far as the Yukon kexts, you'll have to experiment but it should work without the kexts. After everything is ported correctly we'll know for sure. But until then cut the kexts down to I/OAHCI, networking, fakesmc, and audio. Once it's ported correctly, you can try to remove the networking and possibly the AHCI, but fakesmc and audio will be stuck there.

P6X58D.aml.zip

Still no firewire. :)

Maybe take a look at my last DSDT as it was still present and working in that DSDT?

I'm using FakeSMC, IOAHCI, LegacyYukon and HDAEnabler/LegacyHDA and that's it. :) :) :D

EDIT: When I look in the IOReg do you need it to be without a DSDT or using a particular one?

Any DSDT should work....but for sake of experiment, please include the one I just uploaded vs the I/O of when it worked. It might reveal something that would otherwise be overlooked. I'm positive, however, that this is just a problem with the port addresses since it's the only thing where I'm not at all confident, especially in the case of firewire since (looking at LSCPI vs I/O reg) it looks like it can be in one of several places. The first page will show where it actually is loading or at least is trying to load but is being blocked by something else.

Any DSDT should work....but for sake of experiment, please include the one I just uploaded vs the I/O of when it worked. It might reveal something that would otherwise be overlooked. I'm positive, however, that this is just a problem with the port addresses since it's the only thing where I'm not at all confident, especially in the case of firewire since (looking at LSCPI vs I/O reg) it looks like it can be in one of several places. The first page will show where it actually is loading or at least is trying to load but is being blocked by something else.

Just uploaded the screen to my last post. :) That is from your latest NonFirewire DSDT. I'll get the comparison in 2secs...

EDIT: And here is the IOReg location of the Firewire when it's working with my original DSDT. :)

Oddly enough, my 8800GTS is suddenly at a different location on this DSDT, occupying NPE3@3 (possibly just cosmetic?).

Screen_shot_2010_02_26_at_22.17.01.zip

This firewire issue is frustrating to the nth power. But I suppose it had to happen sooner or later, so I take it as a learning experience. If this next DSDT doesn't work I'll have to figure out a whole new approach to the problem.

In the first DSDT where it worked, it wasn't identified. But since I've unidentified it (post-other fixes) it is still not working. That means that there is likely a conflict with something, somewhere.

Can you double check to see that it wasn't disabled in bios by mistake or by a system bug? Stranger things have happened.

Also could you do another LSCPI dump?

As far as your graphics card, it should have always been in PCI express port 3 (NPE3 or PEG 3) and it shows up in your original LSCPI in port 3 also. I'll have to check later to see what is showing up in port 2...but I think it's your NEC USB controller.

One more test: Can you disable onboard audio and unplug any non-essential peripheral devices as a final test for a conflict if none of the above fixes firewire? The good thing is that most of the time that there's a conflict the fix is pretty easy once it's identified.

asus.aml.zip

We have working Firewire!!!!

And Speedstep, C-States (I saw 2.9GHz in MSR) and Sleep/Wake. :)

Only changed the dsdt to the newest one. Everything else enabled as normal and plugged in as before.

Well done dude!!!!

Right, I'll make a guide and bootdisc (with BChemist's and IanT's permission of course) for this board but in the mean time here are the working kexts and dsdt to get fully functioning board (minus USB3/SATA3).

Can we all give a MASSIVE thank you to BChemist for his work on the DSDT, it wouldn't have happened without him!

EDIT: External Links...

http://hotfile.com/dl/30445039/b22879f/P6X58D_FINAL.zip.html

http://hotfile.com/dl/30445102/47f5179/Utilities.zip.html

P6X58D_FINAL.zip

Utilities.zip

We have working Firewire!!!!

And Speedstep, C-States (I saw 2.9GHz in MSR) and Sleep/Wake. :D

Only changed the dsdt to the newest one. Everything else enabled as normal and plugged in as before.

Well done dude!!!!

Right, I'll make a guide and bootdisc (with BChemist's and IanT's permission of course) for this board but in the mean time here are the working kexts and dsdt to get fully functioning board (minus USB3/SATA3).

Can we all give a MASSIVE thank you to BChemist for his work on the DSDT, it wouldn't have happened without him!

EDIT: External Links...

http://hotfile.com/dl/30445039/b22879f/P6X58D_FINAL.zip.html

http://hotfile.com/dl/30445102/47f5179/Utilities.zip.html

:thumbsup_anim:

What a relief!

By all means include the DSDT in the guide as my way of "giving back" to this amazing community that has helped me more times than I can count :)

Thanks for the hard work. Is this really a fully working board? What's the chance that sli will work? (2x8800gts 512) And I assume that usb3 and sata3.0 still doesn't work is that correct?

I'm looking forward to reading that guide.

The P6X58D is very similar to the Rampage II Extreme with the only major difference being the additional USB and SATA ports. Also the P6X58D has an extra PCI-E and that would explain the minor port differences. The 1366 series from ASUS is 100% working with respect to all technologies supported by OSX. I think support for USB 3.0 or SATA III will come from either Mac or 3rd party drivers within the next 3 months since there's a huge demand from Mac Pro owners plus there's rumors of it being in the 2010 Macs. There are already a handful of 3rd party PCI-E cards on the market now.

SLI isn't natively supported by Mac but you can get 2 or more graphics cards to run for multiple monitor support. I've been able to get 2 9800 GT cards and a combo of 1 9400 GT 512mb and 1 9400 GT 1 gig cards to run 4 monitors at the same time with the Rampage and the P6T-SE.

You'd just need to get the I/O reg info code from the graphics cards and code it into the DSDT. The other option is to use EFI strings but, at least to me, the procedure is much more complicated in the case of multiple cards.

You guys are great. Ive been following this post for a while because i have this mobo. Can you please post a step by step for what to do with the files you posted. FYI i have a EVGA 1GB gtx 285, a dell laptop with osx 10.5 pcx86 install, a 8gb thumb drive with the retail osx restored to thumb drive (GUID partion). i got the pc osx running by trial and error with PC_EFI v 9 in by boot grub file.

Ive tried all the empire_efi versions but get a black screen while it loads up.

Thanks.

You guys are great. Ive been following this post for a while because i have this mobo. Can you please post a step by step for what to do with the files you posted. FYI i have a EVGA 1GB gtx 285, a dell laptop with osx 10.5 pcx86 install, a 8gb thumb drive with the retail osx restored to thumb drive (GUID partion). i got the pc osx running by trial and error with PC_EFI v 9 in by boot grub file.

Thanks.

In my FINAL pack it has everything numbered in order. I'll be making a guide at the end of the week if that doesn't help.

In my FINAL pack it has everything numbered in order. I'll be making a guide at the end of the week if that doesn't help.

In the case of EFI Strings for dual monitor setups, it works pretty easily as follows:

The PCI Roots for the two PCI Express slots closest to the CPU are

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

and

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x7,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

So if you get a utility such as EFI Studio, and you want to add two nVidia 9800GTs. You just add the devices twice. They will by default be assigned to the same PciRoot.

Go to the editor window and you will see both the XML and Hex strings. Edit the XML so that the two cards use the PciRoots listed above. Card 1 on 0x3 and Card 2 on 0x7. The Hex string will be updated. Now add the

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>LONG HEXADECIMAL EFI STRING</string>

to your Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

If all goes well, reboot and you now have multimonitor support up to four monitors.

Thanks again to BChemist and kup for all the real work. BChemist and kup, if you have a better way to get multimonitor, multi cards working, then I defer to you both, but this way seems to work easily with nVidia cards. I am not knowledgeable about getting ATI Cards to work. I do not know how to get multimonitor, multiple card support to work with the GraphicsEnabler setting = Yes.

Did the files get it working for you? The thanks is all BChemist's, he did all the hard work on it, I was just the testing monkey who put the kexts together. lol

Thank you for the tip on dual cards, I'll use that to get my 9800GTX+ and 8800GTS 512 both working together. :)

In the case of EFI Strings for dual monitor setups, it works pretty easily as follows:

The PCI Roots for the two PCI Express slots closest to the CPU are

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

and

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x7,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

So if you get a utility such as EFI Studio, and you want to add two nVidia 9800GTs. You just add the devices twice. They will by default be assigned to the same PciRoot.

Go to the editor window and you will see both the XML and Hex strings. Edit the XML so that the two cards use the PciRoots listed above. Card 1 on 0x3 and Card 2 on 0x7. The Hex string will be updated. Now add the

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>LONG HEXADECIMAL EFI STRING</string>

to your Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

If all goes well, reboot and you now have multimonitor support up to four monitors.

Thanks again to BChemist and kup for all the real work. BChemist and kup, if you have a better way to get multimonitor, multi cards working, then I defer to you both, but this way seems to work easily with nVidia cards. I am not knowledgeable about getting ATI Cards to work. I do not know how to get multimonitor, multiple card support to work with the GraphicsEnabler setting = Yes.

That's probably the best way that I've read about to get it to work without touching the DSDT, but I the "hard way" makes more sense to me in this special case :D

What I do is go into the I/O reg, get the VCAP, and registry pins from each card as it is in each port (3 and 7) one at a time. I take that data and add it to the DSDT. Then I add back the 2nd card and boot into SL as normal. That method has also worked with two equal cards or two unequal cards...as long as they are Nvidia. With ATI I've never tried it. I do believe, however, that it is limited to cards that are supported by the bootloaders. What I do not understand, however, is why cards like the 9500GT won't work under 4 monitors unless it's because they are very underpowered. So the newer cards like the GTX285 probably won't work in dual configuration, at least not yet.

Thanks.

You need one of the newer bootloaders since the one that you are using from empire_efi may not support your graphics card. PC_EFI v9 definitely won't be able to support your graphics card. One you change the bootloader file you should be able to get to your desktop.

BChemist, is it possible to make the IOPlatformPlugin modifications into a Legacy kext as Silencer has done in his DSDT thread for the laptop? I've had a go but couldn't get it to work and don't have a vanilla kext to replace the modded one with (I stupidly deleted it without thinking).

EDIT: LOL... No idea why that posted it twice. :wacko:

BChemist, is it possible to make the IOPlatformPlugin modifications into a Legacy kext as Silencer has done in his DSDT thread for the laptop? I've had a go but couldn't get it to work and don't have a vanilla kext to replace the modded one with (I stupidly deleted it without thinking).

I read it and it's also on my "to do" list...but that list is rather long at the moment. Hopefully in the next day or so I'll give it a shot. The other possibility is to make your rig into a iMac11,1 but I don't know if a modification to the fakesmc kext would be necessary. I guess it's easy enough to try but you'd need to modify all of the values of the SMbios.plist. Unfortunately I'm missing the system version or I'd attach it also. Here's the vanilla kext.

IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext.zip

Hey guys -

Don't try the iMac method. Bchemist, trust your instincts as you've said ;) You will need to modify the smbios.plist plus the fakesmc.kext and that's not even for sure since you guys are using a different chipset. The method of Silencers should work. Too bad I don't have your board or I'd be messing with it right now :)

Well I just pulled the trigger on a new rig with this board. I will now stick my head in the sand for the next year or so while faster hardware comes by :)

P6X58D

i7 930

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600

2x NVIDIA 8800 gts 512 (out of my old rig)

Intel X25-M 80GB SSD

4x 750GB WD

I really appreciate the effort some of you have put into this thread and I look forward to trying it out.

So in order to run with dual vid cards do I Install OSX with 1 or 2 cards hooked up? Then edit the EFI or DSDT? I've never done either but it looked like the EFI way doesn't look too complicated.

First. A huge thanks to everyone working on this board. You guys rule. I've been using this board since early january, and I really like it. Nice for overclocking. I've had what seems to be an out of the ordinary experience with the files though.

Until early last week, I was using kups dsdt and extensions. Before that I was using stuff posted earlier. Then wednesday, I had a bad day with a controller kext for a port multiplier, and ended up doing a fresh install.

This time I used Bchemists and kups recent workings. new dsdt, and extensions. Many fewer. -_-

unfortunately with the new files my geek bench 64bit went down significantly. 12000 to 5500. Tried in both 32bit and 64bit kernels.. 64 was like 6000. I swapped the files out with the originals and am back at 12000. everything still works, restart, shut down, sleep, etc.

my current kexts are: yukon, EvOreboot, fakesmc, hdaenabler, ioahciblockstorageinjector, ionetworkingfamily, legacyapplertc, legacyhda, nullcpupower, platformUUID, and sleepenabler.

the newest one on this thread, that produced the low scores were: yukon, fakesmc, hdaenabler, ioahciblockstorageinjector, legacyhda. much cleaner indeed.

I used the same smbios.plist, as the earlier one I had contained all of the ones in the new smbios, plus a few more. Could that be causing the problem?

So I'd like to keep up with current files, of course, and be as efficient and simple as possible, so if i'm making any obvious mistakes that could be causing the performance issue, perhaps you could enlighten me. or if you need to know anything else about my set up. core 920, 12gb corsair dominator, pcie silicon image esata, gtx260. Obviously I'm still very new at this but would be willing to help the board in general in any way that I can. Thanks again.

here are the two different extra folders I'm using. Extra is my current one, with kups orignals. and extrav2 is my setup for the new ones you guys have been collaborating on.

other than that, I've left everything the same.. and I'm still seeing half the performance with extrav2.

used the same bootloader both times, rcn4 asereBLN 1.1.9

Extra.zip

ExtraV2.zip

So I've been trying to get dual GFX via the EFI String method and it doesn't work. :)

9800GTX+ and an 8800GTS (G92) on 3 and 9 respectively just freezes at the boot screen or at the final stage of boot if booting verbose. :)

EDIT: Smeared, are you using the FINAL pack I put together?