10.6.2 64-bit GMA X3100 Unable To Sleep Display

Dabluest

29 posts in this topic

So I was pretty excited with the release of 10.6.2, since I heard Apple updated the Intel GMA drivers for 64-bit. This had been the only thing holding me back from booting into 64-bit mode.

So, after installing the update and working out all the kinks, I booted up without the 32-bit mode flag.

Yay! It worked! :)

That is until I went to sleep my laptop display (i.e. turn off the backlight) and discovered that nothing happened! Instead of turning off the backlight, the display stayed on. Even sleep mode was affected: Display would stay on until the machine hibernated, and then when waking up, the display would not turn back on, forcing me to have to shut it down.

After going round and round trying to fix it, I finally decided to boot back in 32-bit mode and test again. Lo and behold, that was the problem. In 32-bit mode, my display sleeps as normal, as well as waking from sleep. In 64-bit, nothing.

This leads me to suspect the updated GMA graphics drivers, specifically the X3100 ones.

So, anyone else out there with this problem in 64-bit mode on 10.6.2? Any solutions?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your replies guys.

Furkanmustafa, I thought 10.6.2 had the updated GMA Graphics drivers for 64-bit. It boots fine in 64-bit with default resolution (1280 X 800) and QE/CI, it's just not turning off the backlight.

So I was pretty excited with the release of 10.6.2, since I heard Apple updated the Intel GMA drivers for 64-bit. This had been the only thing holding me back from booting into 64-bit mode.

So, after installing the update and working out all the kinks, I booted up without the 32-bit mode flag.

Yay! It worked! ;)

That is until I went to sleep my laptop display (i.e. turn off the backlight) and discovered that nothing happened! Instead of turning off the backlight, the display stayed on. Even sleep mode was affected: Display would stay on until the machine hibernated, and then when waking up, the display would not turn back on, forcing me to have to shut it down.

After going round and round trying to fix it, I finally decided to boot back in 32-bit mode and test again. Lo and behold, that was the problem. In 32-bit mode, my display sleeps as normal, as well as waking from sleep. In 64-bit, nothing.

This leads me to suspect the updated GMA graphics drivers, specifically the X3100 ones.

So, anyone else out there with this problem in 64-bit mode on 10.6.2? Any solutions?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I don't have this problem but this:

If i use kernel 10.2.0 I can't boot. I power on the notebook acer extensa 5220. In chameleon I choose the SnowLeo Partition, and after 2 second notebook reboot.

In CPUS=1 or arch=i386 or X86_64, with DSDT or without DSDT, I have the same results, REBOOT.

I must use the kernel 10.0.0

with kernel 10.0.0 My notebook go well, in 64bit and 32bit. Sleep go well.

Sorry for my english errors.

Can you help me?

Bye bye.

Hi,

I don't have this problem but this:

If i use kernel 10.2.0 I can't boot. I power on the notebook acer extensa 5220. In chameleon I choose the SnowLeo Partition, and after 2 second notebook reboot.

In CPUS=1 or arch=i386 or X86_64, with DSDT or without DSDT, I have the same results, REBOOT.

I must use the kernel 10.0.0

with kernel 10.0.0 My notebook go well, in 64bit and 32bit. Sleep go well.

Sorry for my english errors.

Can you help me?

Bye bye.

Your issue is totally off topic for this thread. Maybe you should start another one?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Apple's X3100 driver binarys are only available for 32-bit. So, your (and mine) x3100 videos can only work with 32bit kernel, we're stuck (until 64bit driver comes) :blink:

Please share the kext file for x3100 & the tutorial how to make it work in 32 bit mode.

I can not get my video card work even for 32 bit :blink:

thanks in advance

Please share the kext file for x3100 & the tutorial how to make it work in 32 bit mode.

I can not get my video card work even for 32 bit :)

thanks in advance

Have a look at post 659 on

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...1784&st=640

post 768 on

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...1784&st=760

or post 505

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...7396&st=500

for steps I performed.

Hope it helps a bit.

bozon42

Have a look at post 659 on

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...1784&st=640

post 768 on

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...1784&st=760

or post 505

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...7396&st=500

for steps I performed.

Hope it helps a bit.

bozon42

Is there one of those for snow leopard? Leopard works fine for me with the x3100 kext. This is about Snow Leopard not working right with the x3100.

this might be some interesting news for everybody without any chance with x3100, ich-8 and Snow Leo.

my toshiba qosmio fv45 didn´t sleep whatever I tried, till I´ve found a solution reading this post

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1163940

now it sleeps in 32bit mode without sleepenabler.

open your dsdt.aml with dstse and first delete the whole usb/uhc and ehci sections. now when you compile you will get some errors with dependencies on uhc/usb/ehci - delete them as well and it should compile without errors.

before you boot into 32bit mode delete sleepenabler! otherwise it will panic - also the netkas 10.6.2 version.

in 32 sleep fully working - in 64 it sleeps, but screen stays black after wakeup.

only issue: on wakeup you will have again a warning in case you mounted any usb devices before

I have the same issue ((( Sleep and Display Brightness do not work in 64 bit mode. Probably we should wait untill 10.6.3

update. and!!!! My modbook have gps prolific inside and in 64 bit - it does not work either(((( I turn it on in Parallels in windows 7.

this might be some interesting news for everybody without any chance with x3100, ich-8 and Snow Leo.

my toshiba qosmio fv45 didn´t sleep whatever I tried, till I´ve found a solution reading this post

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1163940

now it sleeps in 32bit mode without sleepenabler.

open your dsdt.aml with dstse and first delete the whole usb/uhc and ehci sections. now when you compile you will get some errors with dependencies on uhc/usb/ehci - delete them as well and it should compile without errors.

before you boot into 32bit mode delete sleepenabler! otherwise it will panic - also the netkas 10.6.2 version.

in 32 sleep fully working - in 64 it sleeps, but screen stays black after wakeup.

only issue: on wakeup you will have again a warning in case you mounted any usb devices before

One small remark to all of you! It is NOT a screen problem, it is THE SYSTEM not waking properly from sleep. And that's because if it was a screen prob you could be able to vnc to it. Plus it does not respond to keyboard strokes. I'm pretty sure it is not an x64 bit x3100FB prob.

One small remark to all of you! It is NOT a screen problem, it is THE SYSTEM not waking properly from sleep. And that's because if it was a screen prob you could be able to vnc to it. Plus it does not respond to keyboard strokes. I'm pretty sure it is not an x64 bit x3100FB prob.

yes - this is right. I didn´t explain it correctly - but nevertheless the x3100 kexts, which only work in 32bit mode, are causing that trouble :rolleyes:

Same problem on Acer Aspire 5920, sleep works only in 32 bit. AppleIntelCPUPM works, there is no need for SleepEnabler. I just had to remove _PRW from devices HDEF and EHC1, which caused instant wake after sleep.

From ACPI spec:

7.2.10 _PRW (Power Resources for Wake)

This object is only required for devices that have the ability to wake the system from a system sleeping state.

Same problem on Acer Aspire 5920, sleep works only in 32 bit. AppleIntelCPUPM works, there is no need for SleepEnabler. I just had to remove _PRW from devices HDEF and EHC1, which caused instant wake after sleep.

From ACPI spec:

that makes sense - that´s the reason my solution worked as well but I threw the baby out with the bath-water :)

could you post how this dsdt part looks now? thanks for that hint - will try this the next days

that makes sense - that´s the reason my solution worked as well but I threw the baby out with the bath-water ;)

could you post how this dsdt part looks now? thanks for that hint - will try this the next days

I just removed these lines from devices HDEF and EHC1

Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
			{
				0x0D,
				0x03
			})

If you want to take a look at my dsdt.aml it's here.