GA-EX58 and GA-X58A DSDT native power management modifications

d00d

1,771 posts in this topic

Dood I need to correct my former post

If i use DropSSDT=Yes system is stuck to slow speed (geekbench64 7500 instead of 13000). Speedstep works only if i use GeneratePStates=Yes and GenerateCStates=Yes

Interesting, I'm getting SS and 13K GB (x6 memory multiplier) using DVID, GenerateCStates=yes and the default no for DropSSDT and GeneratePStates with Chameleon-Mozodojo revision 262 and standard PR scope DSDT.

GeneratePStates=yes isn't needed because PStates are always there.

It's only CStates that drop out when overclocked.

Interesting, I'm getting SS and 13K GB (x6 memory multiplier) using DVID, GenerateCStates=yes and the default no for DropSSDT and GeneratePStates with Chameleon-Mozodojo revision 262 and standard PR scope DSDT.

GeneratePStates=yes isn't needed because PStates are always there.

It's only CStates that drop out when overclocked.

Hi,

I'm interested in this, but would like to know, what would using this bootloader any anycpu DSDT give me over my current setup? the asere bootloader with fan and temp plug-ins, and the ex58-ud5 2.6 ghz i7 920 specific DSDT from page one. (I'm over clocked to 3.2 ghz)

Is it just a case of this setup is more generic for different hardware?

Cheers

Jon

Hi,

I'm interested in this, but would like to know, what would using this bootloader any anycpu DSDT give me over my current setup? the asere bootloader with fan and temp plug-ins, and the ex58-ud5 2.6 ghz i7 920 specific DSDT from page one. (I'm over clocked to 3.2 ghz)

Is it just a case of this setup is more generic for different hardware?

Cheers

Jon

Asere's bootloader doesn't have plugins, you may be referring to the fakesmc and plugin project.

Yes, it allows for using different CPUs with the same DSDT from a specific MB.

There will be another advantage of QPI detection when mozodojo updates his branch with dgobe's smbios_patcher.c code.

Yes, it allows for using different CPUs with the same DSDT from a specific MB.

There will be another advantage of QPI detection when mozodojo updates his branch with dgobe's smbios_patcher.c code.

Thanks.

Asere's bootloader doesn't have plugins, you may be referring to the fakesmc and plugin project.

Yes, of course. Brain failure. :blink:

Would someone with a Realtek RTL8111E (GA-X58A-UD3R rev. 2.0, GA-X58A-UD5 rev. 2.0, GA-X58A-UD7 rev. 2.0 and GA-X58A-UD9) do a test?

At http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...20199&st=78 jacoverse posted Realtec_8111D_3264.zip that enables network with 64bit boot on these MBs.

It contains IONetworkingFamily.kext, which contains both 64bit RealtekR1000.kext and 64bit AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext.

RealtekR1000.kext is version 1.8.1 from Psystar dated 20090902.

AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext is version 1.1 from Apple dated 20090801.

Which of these kexts is seen loading in kernel.log?

Thanks.

Update:

I compiled the latest version 2.0.9 source from Psystar in both 32 and 64bit (RealtekR1000_2.0.9_32_64.zip).

Does this enable network with 64bit boot on these MBs?

Hi d00d

I have a GA-X58A-UD3R rev 1, so I don'y have the ethernet problem. I have a friend who would like me to build him one of these machines, however, so I'm real interested in knowing if there is a working 64-bit ethernet solution. I notice that nobody had responded to your query... If you learn anything more about this, or get any private feedback, would you please let me know. I also don't know if there are any other disadvantages to the rev 2 board. have they made any improvements that are relevant to OSX?

I followed your thread quite a bit even though I haven't built with quite the same board. You've done some amazing work. my machine runs great but I still haven't found a way to get internal audio to work. I'm not really very concerned because I use a professional FireWire audio interface anyway, but still I'd like to have the solution. I'm also not happy with the thermal performance of my machine. Can you offer any guidance on the subject?

regards,

Pandar

Hi d00d

I have a GA-X58A-UD3R rev 1, so I don'y have the ethernet problem. I have a friend who would like me to build him one of these machines, however, so I'm real interested in knowing if there is a working 64-bit ethernet solution. I notice that nobody had responded to your query... If you learn anything more about this, or get any private feedback, would you please let me know. I also don't know if there are any other disadvantages to the rev 2 board. have they made any improvements that are relevant to OSX?

I followed your thread quite a bit even though I haven't built with quite the same board. You've done some amazing work. my machine runs great but I still haven't found a way to get internal audio to work. I'm not really very concerned because I use a professional FireWire audio interface anyway, but still I'd like to have the solution. I'm also not happy with the thermal performance of my machine. Can you offer any guidance on the subject?

regards,

Pandar

Thanks, as far as I know the only difference between the GA-X58A-UD3R revision 1 and 2 is network.

Have you tried section 14 audio options of patched AppleHDA, Legacy889HDA and DSDT modification?

Assuming you have done the native power management modifications, what's left is the CPU cooler and case airflow.

I'd recommend the Noctua NH-D14 CPU heatsink with two 14cm Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPro PK-3 fans voltage controlled on CPU_FAN by the BIOS, and the Indigo Xtreme Engineered Thermal Interface.

Would someone with a Realtek RTL8111E (GA-X58A-UD3R rev. 2.0, GA-X58A-UD5 rev. 2.0, GA-X58A-UD7 rev. 2.0 and GA-X58A-UD9) do a test?

At http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...20199&st=78 jacoverse posted Realtec_8111D_3264.zip that enables network with 64bit boot on these MBs.

It contains IONetworkingFamily.kext, which contains both 64bit RealtekR1000.kext and 64bit AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext.

RealtekR1000.kext is version 1.8.1 from Psystar dated 20090902.

AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext is version 1.1 from Apple dated 20090801.

Which of these kexts is seen loading in kernel.log?

Thanks.

Update:

I compiled the latest version 2.0.9 source from Psystar in both 32 and 64bit (RealtekR1000_2.0.9_32_64.zip).

Does this enable network with 64bit boot on these MBs?

Tried this in S/L/E on my new rev 2 ud3r a moment ago. 32-bit worked fine, but no go in 64-bit. Maybe I missed something.

Alright I just went through the guide to fix my GA-X58A-UD3R because i think its been running hot(66 degrees). But I managed to screw up the dsdt and it wont compile. I'm new to this can't figure out what wrong, especially cause the lines it gives me have nothing there that looks wrong. Could someone look over it and see if they could fix it?dsdt.txt

Attached clean dsdt.dsl from GA-X58A-UD7 (Rev1) bios F7u + i7 930 (no overclock)

modded dsdt.dsl and dsdt.aml included.

Applied all the modifications in the first post plus i7 930 pstates from first post, except network card mods because I use an Intel one and it's working perfect.

Kext in /Extra/Extensions: fakesmc (netkas 2.5), ioahciblockstorageinjector, legacy889hda

Kext in /S/L/E: patched AppleHDA, IntelE1000e (for the network card)

Booting with AsereBLN, params: arch=i386 DropSSDT=y -v

I'm currently using a 8800GTS g92 512MB card.

Looks like everything is working, restart, sleep etc...

dsdt.f7u.zip

Attached clean dsdt.dsl from GA-X58A-UD7 (Rev1) bios F7u + i7 930 (no overclock)

modded dsdt.dsl and dsdt.aml included.

Applied all the modifications in the first post plus i7 930 pstates from first post, except network card mods because I use an Intel one and it's working perfect.

Kext in /Extra/Extensions: fakesmc (netkas 2.5), ioahciblockstorageinjector, legacy889hda

Kext in /S/L/E: patched AppleHDA, IntelE1000e (for the network card)

Booting with AsereBLN, params: arch=i386 DropSSDT=y -v

I'm currently using a 8800GTS g92 512MB card.

Looks like everything is working, restart, sleep etc...

I have same mobo can i try with this???? i have a 12gb of ram and gtx470 and i7 960 3.2 thanks...

I have same mobo can i try with this???? i have a 12gb of ram and gtx470 and i7 960 3.2 thanks...

Check that your one is not rev2 and modify the dsdt to support your i7 960, or I guess you can just disable speedstepping from bios.

Check that your one is not rev2 and modify the dsdt to support your i7 960, or I guess you can just disable speedstepping from bios.

Thanks, i have rev. 1, but i don't how to modify dsdt i'll try to read something, cheers

HI guys,

My first attempt at making a dsdt.. Ive followed the steps from scratch but have encountered some compile errors.

Im posting the error codes output:- Pls help me out... a little confused

Intel ACPI Component Architecture
ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20091214 [Dec 16 2009]
Copyright © 2000 - 2009 Intel Corporation
Supports ACPI Specification Revision 4.0

/Users/procomp/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl    42:     Name (\_S0, Package (0x04)
Error    4096 -                                        syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_NAME ^ 

/Users/procomp/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl  4085:                 Device (DMA1)
Error    4096 -                                                    syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_DEVICE ^ 

/Users/procomp/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl  4121:                     Name (ATT6, ResourceTemplate ()
Error    4096 -                                                        syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_NAME ^ 

/Users/procomp/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl  4153:                 Device (RTC)
               {
                   Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))
                   Name (ATT0, ResourceTemplate ()
                   {
                       IO (Decode16,
                           0x0070,             // Range Minimum
                           0x0070,             // Range Maximum
                           0x00,               // Alignment
                           0x02,               // Length
                           )
                       IRQNoFlags ()
                           {8}
                   })
                   Name (ATT1, ResourceTemplate ()
                   {
                       IO (Decode16,
                           )
                   })
Error    4096 -                                                    syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_DEVICE ^ 

/Users/procomp/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl  4155:                     Method (_CRS, 0, NotSerialized)
Error    4096 -                                                        syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_METHOD ^ 

/Users/procomp/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl  4175:                 Device         Offset (0xF0), 
Error    4096 -                                    syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_DEVICE, expecting $end ^ 

ASL Input:  /Users/procomp/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl - 6050 lines, 215057 bytes, 1806 keywords
Compilation complete. 6 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 2 Optimizations

HI guys,

My first attempt at making a dsdt.. Ive followed the steps from scratch but have encountered some compile errors.

Im posting the error codes output:- Pls help me out... a little confused

Intel ACPI Component Architecture
ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20091214 [Dec 16 2009]
Copyright © 2000 - 2009 Intel Corporation
Supports ACPI Specification Revision 4.0

/Users/procomp/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl    42:     Name (\_S0, Package (0x04)
Error    4096 -                                        syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_NAME ^ 

/Users/procomp/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl  4085:                 Device (DMA1)

/Users/procomp/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl  4121:                     Name (ATT6, ResourceTemplate ()
Error    4096 -                                                        syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_NAME ^ 

/Users/procomp/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl  4153:                 Device (RTC)
               {
                   Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))
                   Name (ATT0, ResourceTemplate ()
                   {
                       IO (Decode16,
                           )
                       IRQNoFlags ()
                           {8}
                   })
                   Name (ATT1, ResourceTemplate ()
                   {
                       IO (Decode16,
                           )
                   })

/Users/procomp/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl  4155:                     Method (_CRS, 0, NotSerialized)
Error    4096 -                                                        syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_METHOD ^ 

/Users/procomp/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl  4175:                 Device         Offset (0xF0), 
Error    4096 -                                    syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_DEVICE, expecting $end ^ 

ASL Input:  /Users/procomp/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl - 6050 lines, 215057 bytes, 1806 keywords
Compilation complete. 6 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 2 Optimizations

I would use the DSDT from the post a couple up from yours and just edit the processor since you have a different model. Look at dood's post on the first page and modify the DSDT with matching information for your processor. I used that with the X58A-UD3R Rev. 1 and it was 100% working. Only thing I had to change was the address at the end of the DSDT due to the X58A-UD3R being different.

Hi TwistedSystems, Thanks for the prompt reply..

I actually fixed the errors (Copy paste errors caused the formatting to go for a toss)..

I will actually give the above DSDT a try and see how its done....

Cheers

:thumbsup_anim: Hi Dood.

Help dood. .i have modified RTC for the reset of the cmos… but I often have the problem that reset. .where mistake?

Thanks for your help

If that's the RTC device in your DSDT, it's been horribly mangled.

Use the original instead and only change the two instances of 0x04 to 0x02.

Updated to F7t and it seems to fix my wake up from S3 sleep on 10.6.4. Redumped my dsdt and is all nice now.

d00d: I want to have minimal dsdt, which devices are safe to remove? Already deleted JMB0, FDC0 and PS2M.

My score got a great improvement

woah, how are you getting a 15,800 geekbench score at 3.7Ghz if I'm only getting a 14,200 at 4.2?

As for the RTL8111e issue, I have been working with a couple of GA-X58A-UD3R rev 2.0(fb16 bios) motherboards recently, and the ethernet port seems to work fine in 64bit mode after adding the RealtekR1000.kext from the plugins folder of the "Realtec_8111D_3264" download to the Plugins folder within the IONetworking extension that is installed with 10.6.0/10.6.4. I don't have the means to do an exhaustive test other than connecting it to a network and going on line after putting the install through a number of sleep cycles to see if it wakes up properly. Other than adding quite a bit more Realtek chatter viewable in verbose mode when booting Snow Leopard, it seems like this is a suitable fix for the Realtek8111e ethernet controller found on these rev.2 boards, at least until bitshoveler(or someone else) comes along with a rebuilt version of the RealtekR1000SL.kext specifically for the RTL8111e.

There has been some concern expressed for all the heat generated by the Northbridge chip on these X58 motherboards, making the heatsink too hot to touch, at least for more than a second or two, regardless of whether the system is overclocked or whether one is using the stock Intel CPU fan/heatsink or some other. Some have felt that the heat might be producing video and/or audio chattering issues perhaps, even though the Intel ICH10R Northbridge is supposedly rated to 100 degrees C. It just seems alarmingly hot. "Heythisisdave" in post 106 of the Support group forum for rev 2.0 owners covers this issue well. I removed the heatsink/heatpipe solution and tried his solution(remove the old grey thermal transfer material and apply some new thermal paste to the northbridge without changing anything on the heatsink at the other end of the heatpipe over the voltage regulators), and, amazingly enough, the heatsink assembly became much cooler. Even the NB temps reported in both the bios and with iMark dropped about 10c to the lower 40s. I don't understand why this works, but the change is undeniable. If the Northbridge is trying to dissipate "X" amount of heat, then why would improved thermal conductivity between the chip and the heatsink lower the temps of both? Perhaps there is some sort of thermal runaway issue going on here that produces all of the extra heat - just a guess; I'm not sure - but all that heat is surely not good for the durability of these motherboards in any case.

A tip for those experimenting with Snow Leopard server software - you won't be able to get by the entering-the-serial-number stage if you don't have a working ethernet port when you fire up the server software for the first time. At this point OSX Server looks for a working ethernet port to check to see if there are other OSX servers with the same serial number. Not a problem, of course, if you are using a board with a natively supported ethernet chip(Realtek8111C or the Intel adapter d00d mentions), but definitely an issue with these X58 boards with their 8111d/e chipsets. PS: these X58 boards + W3520 Xeon CPU + unbuffered ECC RAM + an Areca card(like the ARC-1212/1222) provide a very nice Server solution... along with d00d's detailed and excellent advice, of course, on the first page of this thread.

As for the RTL8111e issue, I have been working with a couple of GA-X58A-UD3R rev 2.0(fb16 bios) motherboards recently, and the ethernet port seems to work fine in 64bit mode after adding the RealtekR1000.kext from the plugins folder of the "Realtec_8111D_3264" download to the Plugins folder within the IONetworking extension that is installed with 10.6.0/10.6.4. I don't have the means to do an exhaustive test other than connecting it to a network and going on line after putting the install through a number of sleep cycles to see if it wakes up properly. Other than adding quite a bit more Realtek chatter viewable in verbose mode when booting Snow Leopard, it seems like this is a suitable fix for the Realtek8111e ethernet controller found on these rev.2 boards, at least until bitshoveler(or someone else) comes along with a rebuilt version of the RealtekR1000SL.kext specifically for the RTL8111e.

There has been some concern expressed for all the heat generated by the Northbridge chip on these X58 motherboards, making the heatsink too hot to touch, at least for more than a second or two, regardless of whether the system is overclocked or whether one is using the stock Intel CPU fan/heatsink or some other. Some have felt that the heat might be producing video and/or audio chattering issues perhaps, even though the Intel ICH10R Northbridge is supposedly rated to 100 degrees C. It just seems alarmingly hot. "Heythisisdave" in post 106 of the Support group forum for rev 2.0 owners covers this issue well. I removed the heatsink/heatpipe solution and tried his solution(remove the old grey thermal transfer material and apply some new thermal paste to the northbridge without changing anything on the heatsink at the other end of the heatpipe over the voltage regulators), and, amazingly enough, the heatsink assembly became much cooler. Even the NB temps reported in both the bios and with iMark dropped about 10c to the lower 40s. I don't understand why this works, but the change is undeniable. If the Northbridge is trying to dissipate "X" amount of heat, then why would improved thermal conductivity between the chip and the heatsink lower the temps of both? Perhaps there is some sort of thermal runaway issue going on here that produces all of the extra heat - just a guess; I'm not sure - but all that heat is surely not good for the durability of these motherboards in any case.

A tip for those experimenting with Snow Leopard server software - you won't be able to get by the entering-the-serial-number stage if you don't have a working ethernet port when you fire up the server software for the first time. At this point OSX Server looks for a working ethernet port to check to see if there are other OSX servers with the same serial number. Not a problem, of course, if you are using a board with a natively supported ethernet chip(Realtek8111C or the Intel adapter d00d mentions), but definitely an issue with these X58 boards with their 8111d/e chipsets. PS: these X58 boards + W3520 Xeon CPU + unbuffered ECC RAM + an Areca card(like the ARC-1212/1222) provide a very nice Server solution... along with d00d's detailed and excellent advice, of course, on the first page of this thread.

With the Real8111e tweaks you've done does the internet work instantly upon bootup or is there a 15 second gap?

Currently on my system (X58A UD3R rev 2 with fb16) i've only replaced the IOnetwork.kext to get my internet working but once I come back from sleep there's a 15 second gap before the internet is up again.