Apple Magic Mouse OSX86 - external bluetooth dongle

Dannydeman

453 posts in this topic

i was at my applestore today and they don't have it yet, hopefully by the end of the week :) . However, i've tried a cheap wireless mouse before with usb receiver and it just lags i can't have it move correctly even after using disabler.kext in leo or snow (in ubuntu it works). With a bluetooth dongle and the magic mouse could i have the same problem? I don't want to buy it and after see that i can't use it.

i was at my applestore today and they don't have it yet, hopefully by the end of the week :) . However, i've tried a cheap wireless mouse before with usb receiver and it just lags i can't have it move correctly even after using disabler.kext in leo or snow (in ubuntu it works). With a bluetooth dongle and the magic mouse could i have the same problem? I don't want to buy it and after see that i can't use it.

On my ex58-ud5 having gotten used to the MM I think it's great, no lag whatever. I think you also need to develop a

different style for using the mouse, half mouse, half touch pad.

Only issue is sleep, I read that it works on some real macs, but others have issues with it waking up straight away which happens to me occasionally.

steve

I concur. I have that exact bluetooth adapter and it works flawlessly in Leopard and Snow Leopard.

Does it support sleep/wake with Magic Mouse and latest update ? Someone else with one of these posted that it didn't.

Nice to have a confirmation of a working sleep/wake

steve

Does it support sleep/wake with Magic Mouse and latest update ? Someone else with one of these posted that it didn't.

Nice to have a confirmation of a working sleep/wake

steve

Sleep kind of works in 64bit mode, wakes up a few seconds later the first time. On waking the scroll feature doesn't work.

Subsequent sleeps do work though. Sounds like the dongle is a composite device and it gets broken the first sleep, allowing subsequent sleeps to work. The breaking of the device simulating a usb removal and wake up

(should be fixable?)

Having been working in 64 bit mode, if you boot back into 32 bit mode you get the same behaviour

steve

Sleep kind of works in 64bit mode, wakes up a few seconds later the first time. On waking the scroll feature doesn't work.

Subsequent sleeps do work though. Sounds like the dongle is a composite device and it gets broken the first sleep, allowing subsequent sleeps to work. The breaking of the device simulating a usb removal and wake up

(should be fixable?)

Having been working in 64 bit mode, if you boot back into 32 bit mode you get the same behaviour

steve

Kind of fixed ...

Removed SleepEnabler and NullCPUManagement kexts from EFI/Extra/Extensions and rebooted in 64 bit

sleep is better behaved. scrolling lost on wake but if you remove the dongle and reinsert it then scrolling

works again

This is for i7 cpu on EX58-UD5 board

steve

Nice!

We still need cleaner solution though.

Kind of fixed ...

Removed SleepEnabler and NullCPUManagement kexts from EFI/Extra/Extensions and rebooted in 64 bit

sleep is better behaved. scrolling lost on wake but if you remove the dongle and reinsert it then scrolling

works again

steve

I love the mouse, and I really want to buy it. Now I use a mighty mouse (wired) because I didn't have bluetooth. Now I found a compatible bluetooth dongle (according to the OSX86 wiki, it's plug and play) and I was wondering if the Magic mouse will work with a external bluetooth dongle on OSX86? If that is the case, I will buy it :).

i picked up one at tesco tecknica and it paired up with the mouse lik a charm

on p6t se mobo

no wake on sleep tho!!

Hi all,

I'm about to purchase one.

To confirm does the magic mouse software update stop you all waking from sleep with just the mouse? Or are you unable to wake from sleep at all?

I ask this because I use the power button to wake from sleep.

Thanks.

Hi all,

I'm about to purchase one.

To confirm does the magic mouse software update stop you all waking from sleep with just the mouse? Or are you unable to wake from sleep at all?

I ask this because I use the power button to wake from sleep.

Thanks.

Anyone?

Kind of fixed ...

works again

steve

Using BTExplorer on the dongle it seems that when it sleeps/wakes all the BT services are lost (composite class of device is zero)

Pulling it out/in then restarts them

Using BTExplorer on the dongle it seems that when it sleeps/wakes all the BT services are lost (composite class of device is zero)

Pulling it out/in then restarts them

I'm also interested if you have sleep working Tony.

I'm also interested if you have sleep working Tony.

I would be surprised if it were. I had a look at the apple developer pages and it says that the only USB dongle they

semi supported was a certain revision of a D-Link BB-120 which required a firmware flash rendering it unuseable in Windows. They seem to sell them in the US (discontinued in Europe) although I saw on a consumer site from someone who bought one for the purpose of using it with OS X that they are different new versions of the old model and are often

advertised with with the old picture. Apple doesn't seem to support them anymore favouring built in cards

Apple Bluetooth kexts seem to use the Broadcom chipsets now, my Belkin is the same Broadcom

Of course if anyone can prove me wrong ;)

PS

The firmware flash doesn't run on SL, even if you extract the bits with pacifist.

umm , I just realized that I can also wake my system up via power button - does this work for you LocusOfControl and Cosmin Petre?

I would be fine with using the power button - hope it works ;)

umm , I just realized that I can also wake my system up via power button - does this work for you LocusOfControl and Cosmin Petre?

I would be fine with using the power button - hope it works :censored2:

Sleeping or waking the machine isn't really the issue, I can wake by keyboard, USB insertion, removal, power button

(just tried it). The issue is that the BT HCI service on the dongle is dead on wake. everything else works perfectly.

I just have my dongle plugged into the front of my case, when I want to wake the machine I just pull the dongle out and in and everything works in seconds. It would be nice if this was automated.

Any DSDT experts know if DSDT can support composite USB devices?

By the way MM is great, I tried using my old mice (wired mighty mouse and logitech laser). The MM feels natural, the others feel horrid. Two finger sweep is great for internet browsing, such a pain to have to hit back/forward buttons with

the old fashioned mice

steve

Sleeping or waking the machine isn't really the issue, I can wake by keyboard, USB insertion, removal, power button

(just tried it). The issue is that the BT HCI service on the dongle is dead on wake. everything else works perfectly.

Thats good . Im so used to put my system to sleep - dont know if I could sacrifice that for the gestures.

Regarding Dsdt , this might be of interest. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...2518&st=340

Good news

Thanks to a tip off from CruiSAr who tested an old BT mighty mouse with a Trust dongle and found it worked

I bought one the other day on ebay and it arrived this morning.

I can confirm the Trust dongle works with Magic Mouse, if I put the machine to sleep, on waking all the MM features

work as before

The part is

http://www.trust.com/products/product.aspx?artnr=15542

steve