DSDT fixes for Gigabyte boards

iSoprano

1,909 posts in this topic

The one that got corrupted on my system is a Samsung disk. It took a couple weeks with the patch and then nothing helped but full format. After removing the patch disk has had no problems, neither before adding that patch. So I am not going to use it anymore.

Problem is that R/WO, which means it can be written only once. I think that happens already when booting.

That MSI board wouldn't happen to have firewire would it? That seems to be one of the last remaining issues.

That MSI board wouldn't happen to have firewire would it? That seems to be one of the last remaining issues.

I believe that this one is the cheapest of MSI boards, P43-Neo, so no onboard firewire. Buy a bit more expensive model, like P45-Platinum and you should have all that you have on your GB board.

So can we universally agree the ESB patch is a bad idea? If so spread the word.

Some time ago I made a dummy.kext that fix this "ugly" icon, and only that, take a look HERE

But is Apple fault, the drive is as it should when is on AHCI, Apple is lame and MSI too... :star_smile:

Good enough for me then when I get my test machine back up and running after Christmas that patch will not be used, thanks.

Edit: Just replied in another thread about the PCI slots on these P45 boards. Does anyone have a card in the slot closest to the CPU that works under OS X?

If you mean the PCIE x1 slot between PCIE x16 slot and CPU then yes, I have a Lacie ESata card installed there and it works.

Some time ago I made a dummy.kext that fix this "ugly" icon, and only that, take a look HERE

But is Apple fault, the drive is as it should when is on AHCI, Apple is lame and MSI too... :star_smile:

That is a matter of opinion, I guess Apple didn't plan their AHCI driver to be used on GB boards :star_smile:

MSI and Apple just happen to have that bit set 0, for hardware it makes no difference if it is 0 or 1. Maybe Apple is planning on adding ESata ports at some point and have reserved that bit to indicate which ports are external.

/edit

Actually the Gigabyte style seems to be against Microsoft recommendations also:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/esata.mspx

Is not about eSATA, AHCI has HotPlug feature...and a HotPlug drive is external or on bay...that's why you get the eject button on them(except system one)

Yes, I know that. But Apple seems to handle that feature in a different way. And that HPCP bit doesn't really do anything anyway, all ICH10 ports are hot pluggable anyway.

Anyway I'm happy with my fix since is just cosmetic (only change the drive icon) and can't harm in any way...and also I like the eject button on drives :star_smile:

Yes, that works well. I just want to get rid of all extra kexts, on MSI I only have one left, on Gigabyte I still have two which to me looks like one or two too much :star_smile:

Yes, that works well. I just want to get rid of all extra kexts, on MSI I only have one left, on Gigabyte I still have two which to me looks like one or two too much :star_smile:

Same here, but two: SMC stuff and one dummy.kext that has all in, orange {censored}, audio and so...

Does that mean that you have a usb sound card? Otherwise the MSI board should require fakesmc and legacyhda? Or can one of them be done away with? I suddenly feel very bad because I have 4 kexts :(

Any of these can be done away with?

Disabler for AppleUpstreamClient

LegacyHDA

fakesmc

the 4th one being your orange icon fix :)

CS

Yes, that works well. I just want to get rid of all extra kexts, on MSI I only have one left, on Gigabyte I still have two which to me looks like one or two too much :)

If you mean the PCIE x1 slot between PCIE x16 slot and CPU then yes, I have a Lacie ESata card installed there and it works.

No the pci-e slots work I mean old style larger PCI slots the one nearest the CPU does not work in OS X on my old P35 board any of those slots worked.

Does that mean that you have a usb sound card? Otherwise the MSI board should require fakesmc and legacyhda? Or can one of them be done away with? I suddenly feel very bad because I have 4 kexts :(

Any of these can be done away with?

Disabler for AppleUpstreamClient

LegacyHDA

fakesmc

the 4th one being your orange icon fix :)

CS

I believe he has already mentioned having USB sound I went with Audigy sounds cards to get rid of the HDA, the Upstream Disabler can be gotten rid of by using a video card not affected by it fakesmc is required to boot the system no matter what at this point.

No the pci-e slots work I mean old style larger PCI slots the one nearest the CPU does not work in OS X on my old P35 board any of those slots worked.

I believe he has already mentioned having USB sound I went with Audigy sounds cards to get rid of the HDA, the Upstream Disabler can be gotten rid of by using a video card not affected by it fakesmc is required to boot the system no matter what at this point.

Ok, I only have one PCI card which is Linksys WMP300N v.2 wlan card. I currently have it in the slot that is farthest away from cpu, let's see if I tomorrow have energy enough to test it in another slot.

And yes, I use usb audio on both my systems so no kext files for that.

Ok, I only have one PCI card which is Linksys WMP300N v.2 wlan card. I currently have it in the slot that is farthest away from cpu, let's see if I tomorrow have energy enough to test it in another slot.

That is where my sound cards are too in nearest the one no detection at all by OS X, windows or GNU/Linux will use it just fine in the nearest slot in my test machine.

And yes, I use usb audio on both my systems so no kext files for that.

Thought I had seen you mention that before.

Is there anyone out there not using a legacyHDA.kext that also doesn't get sound insertion errors while using the vanilla AppleHDA.kext? I know it's possible to get reasonably good working sound with the vanilla kext and DSDT patch but you receive at least a couple errors.

@The King

I think you wrote the post about this somewhere.

Again the same error in EHCI devices.

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Store (Package (0x04)
                       {
                           "device-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x3A, 0x29, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"AAPL,clock-id", 
                           Buffer (One)
                           {
                               0x01
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                   Return (Local0)
               }

Cut these out if you want to be able to use USB2.0 devices for wake up. Do you really need to do device-id injection with ICH10 device-id, I thought your board has ICH10.

Folks

Thanks for the advice

I will write out a thousand times

"I will think about what I am doing and not blindly cut and paste"

I haven't really been too focused on the DSDT editing, guess I'll need to gen up over the holidays

I'll post back when I've done more research and testing

I just did a little test and put back those irq's to IPIC and COPR devices. Makes no difference to video playback on my system. No stuttering at all, maybe it's your video player ? I use XBMC and MPlayer.

I have a video file on my desktop that I use for testing, one that I made for a client a while back for a architectural presentation. I use it to "test" any additions I make to ensure all is well. It launches in Quicktime player when opened. Its within Quicktime that the stuttering occurs. I tested a dvd using dvd player and that seems fine.

I'll try XBMC and see if that is any better.

So possibly the slimmed down dsdt version is not liked by Quicktime?

I'll report back when I'm sober......

Re: the seagate drives:

I've two installed in my hack and I use the icon fix in dsdt and I've had no issues to date.

Although I do use a WD Black which I installed in my imac and its the best drive I've had. Whisper quiet.

I have a video file on my desktop that I use for testing, one that I made for a client a while back for a architectural presentation. I use it to "test" any additions I make to ensure all is well. It launches in Quicktime player when opened. Its within Quicktime that the stuttering occurs. I tested a dvd using dvd player and that seems fine.

I've two installed in my hack and I use the icon fix in dsdt and I've had no issues to date.

Although I do use a WD Black which I installed in my imac and its the best drive I've had. Whisper quiet.

I would give the Disabler.kext with the AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext in its blacklist a try.

It's absolutely strange that you have these video problems and kdawg has never complained about such issues. I mean you two basically have the same hardware, except the display driver. Have you tried using kdawg's dsdt ?

I would give the Disabler.kext with the AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext in its blacklist a try.

Weird though,

My "fatter" version works fine with Quicktime-rock solid

The "slim" version causes stuttering in Quicktime, for me anyway.

Anyone using a dsdt with mm67's patches and slimmed dsdt care to try a video file using quicktime to see if stuttering is an issue for them?

I'd be interested to know if this is possibly a widespread issue or just my machine.

Might look at MSI boards over the break...

I'll tell my wife I've worn out the boot chip on my gigabyte board (the amount of restarts I've done)

Think she'll buy it? :wallbash:

It's absolutely strange that you have these video problems and kdawg has never complained about such issues. I mean you two basically have the same hardware, except the display driver. Have you tried using kdawg's dsdt ?

I've just downloaded kdawgs latest and will try it out.

I'll report back and advise in case anyone has similar issues - may be as simple as re-installing quicktime.

Is there anyone out there not using a legacyHDA.kext that also doesn't get sound insertion errors while using the vanilla AppleHDA.kext? I know it's possible to get reasonably good working sound with the vanilla kext and DSDT patch but you receive at least a couple errors.

Wouldn't that be Gigabyte audio nirvana?

I would switch boards in a heartbeat if I could get vanilla onboard audio working without legacyHDA and no assertion errors and be still within my capability.

Maybe audio should be worked on next? For 2010? :wacko:

Weird though,

Anyone using a dsdt with mm67's patches and slimmed dsdt care to try a video file using quicktime to see if stuttering is an issue for them?

I'd be interested to know if this is possibly a widespread issue or just my machine.

I'll tell my wife I've worn out the boot chip on my gigabyte board (the amount of restarts I've done)

I'll report back and advise in case anyone has similar issues - may be as simple as re-installing quicktime.

I would switch boards in a heartbeat if I could get vanilla onboard audio working without legacyHDA and no assertion errors and be still within my capability.

I'll just chime in and agree. I don't any problems with video playback.

Weird though,

I just downloaded a couple of 1080p clips from here: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/hd/ and played them in QuickTime, I can't see any stuttering. Is it some single codec that causes your problem or is it just anything in QuickTime ?

I'll just chime in and agree. I don't any problems with video playback.

Thanks for feedback re video.

Will test further later on today using your dsdt as a basis- its Christmas day here in OZ so better get offline for a bit.

Enjoy your holiday everyone and stay safe.