[GUIDE] Making a DSDT.aml for Dell XPS M1330, XPS M1530, and XPS M1730

immo

2,030 posts in this topic

Well, my temps in OS X are between 65 and 75, which as it turns out, isn't all that unusual for this processor. I'd still like it cooler, so it would be great to see where the fan control is and figure out why that doesn't seem to respond to anything. Also, I'm doing things on this like importing video, and stuff like that, and the p-states still aren't changing. Doesn't that seem a bit odd? I'd expect it to sit on the highest p-state while I'm not doing anything, but when I start doing stuff I would think it would switch to a lower one (highest meaning p5 as opposed to p1, not cpu frequency).

Did you use ChampList to produce an SMBios.plist for MacBook5,2? If it's not MacBook5,2 then the p-states might not work. You can also generate a serial with it that will work on iCloud (choose a MacBook5,2 computer; it doesn't matter if the CPU matches).

Also, use Activity Monitor to make sure no processes are taking up your CPU in the background.

Immo

Well up running successfully on Mountain Lion finally! I used AppleACPIPlatform.kext 1.3.5, vanilla IOPCIFamily.kext, and FakeSMC 4.0 svn r570 suggested by DarwinX. My temps appear to be similar to what they were in Lion (i.e. high :( )

Here is the more recent revision 609 of the Slice's FakeSMC Hardware Sensor branch:

FakeSMC-4.2svn-r609.zip

One thing I noticed, on bootup, NVClockX gave a message "Applying Overclock". The last thing I want to do is overclock the GPU in this poor machine! From what I understand NVClockX allows overclocking, but it also required to get the GPU temperature readout (which is something I really can't do without). Any idea if it actually applies an overclock, and if so how to change it or get rid of it? Could this be related to maximus1 and lulighttec's problem? I could probably use it to my advantage to actually downclock the CPU to keep the heat in check. P.S. my temps seem roughly the same as before.

That "NVClockX: Overclocking" kernel log output during the booting process had bothered me for months. To my knowledge, the NVClockX plugin can not and does not overclock the GPU, but I can not be certain about this. So, I agree with you in that further testing and/or research is absolutely necessary to establish whether the said plugin actually does overclock the GPU.

Also will the latest HWSensors from the HWSensors thread work on our systems? Latest FakeSMC, Cpusensor, ACPISensors, SuperIOSensors and NouveauSensors.. instead of Nvclock?

Kozlek's FakeSMC HWSensor branch is not compatible with that of Slice's. Moreover, Kozlek's branch does not provide support for our NSCPC8739x SuperIO chip which supplies the Ambient, Memory, Motherboard and CPU Heatsink temperatures as well as the System Fan Speed. Furthermore, Kozlek is reimplementing the development of the NVClockX plugin.

Well, my temps in OS X are between 65 and 75, which as it turns out, isn't all that unusual for this processor. I'd still like it cooler, so it would be great to see where the fan control is and figure out why that doesn't seem to respond to anything.

The System Fan Speed control could only be achieved via the FakeSMC Plugin ACPISensors.kext which requires extensive DSDT modifications.

Monitoring With FakeSMC (Slice)

Did you use ChampList to produce an SMBios.plist for MacBook5,2? If it's not MacBook5,2 then the p-states might not work. You can also generate a serial with it that will work on iCloud (choose a MacBook5,2 computer; it doesn't matter if the CPU matches).

Also, use Activity Monitor to make sure no processes are taking up your CPU in the background.

Immo

Interesting thing.... kind of like your OSx reading your plist off of a different drive, I think mine was reading my SMbios from a different directory! I went into org.Chameleon.boot.plist and specified hd(0,3)/Extra/SMbios.plist, instead of the rd(0,0)/Extra/SMbios.plist. That seemed to make it load the correct Mac profile, and the p-states started changing. I disabled NVclockx, and the only thing I lost was the GPU temperature; all the other ones kept working. I'm not sure if it had any effect at all on the temperature, or if it was overclocking anything at all. I can see clock speeds and temperatures changing, but they certainly aren't getting any cooler. I'll have to investigate the System fan Speed control that DarwinX mentioned. That will take me quite a while to wade through; there's a lot of information there.

Well, I dont know what happened, but: I cleaned everything (I swear there was almost no dust) and installed the latest FakeSMC package from DarwinX's post with ACPISensors, IntelCPUMonitor, IntelThermal, NSCPC8739x and NVClockX. In idle my GPU is about 55-60 °C my CPU clock says 594 MHz and 46 °C. The temperatures now are much better than ever before o.O

The bad news is that I have still these random restart errors (with these messages "You have to restart your Mac blah blah") by running certain programs (like "About Mac -> Advanced Info or CCleaner) and the battery is not working. I hope there will come a fix for that soon, don't want to use the old AppleACPIPlatform.

P.S. : I am using a MacBookPro5,1 SMbios.plist, is it better to use a 5,2 instead?

Well, I dont know what happened, but: I cleaned everything (I swear there was almost no dust) and installed the latest FakeSMC package from DarwinX's post with ACPISensors, IntelCPUMonitor, IntelThermal, NSCPC8739x and NVClockX. In idle my GPU is about 55-60 °C my CPU clock says 594 MHz and 46 °C. The temperatures now are much better than ever before o.O

The bad news is that I have still these random restart errors (with these messages "You have to restart your Mac blah blah") by running certain programs (like "About Mac -> Advanced Info or CCleaner) and the battery is not working. I hope there will come a fix for that soon, don't want to use the old AppleACPIPlatform.

P.S. : I am using a MacBookPro5,1 SMbios.plist, is it better to use a 5,2 instead?

I used 5,2 and my p-states started working... if your p-states are already transitioning, I seen no reason to change from what you're using now... Say, did anyone ever figure out how to get HDMI working on these XPS M1530s?

I am just observing my stats and my CPU suddenly went up to 2487 MHz, GPU at 70 °C, although I am idle... I think there is something wrong with my speedstep. Also I think my CPU doesn't apply values between minimum and maximum, what the heck?

I used 5,2 and my p-states started working... if your p-states are already transitioning, I seen no reason to change from what you're using now... Say, did anyone ever figure out how to get HDMI working on these XPS M1530s?

Here is a pic of my SMC Monitor:

post-636145-0-17853400-1344208172_thumb.png

post-636145-0-17853400-1344208172_thumb.png

My experimentation in the past showed that only MacBook5,1 or MacBook5,2 worked proper with speed step. If I recall, I did have random restart issues with MacBookPro4,1, but MacBookPro5,1 only had issues with SpeedStep. Is it locked at 594MHz or is it moving up when needed? It doesn't take much to try it, so I would try setting it up as MacBook5,2 to see if it makes an improvement.

Immo

There is a method I read about where you specify Chameleon to load a vbios that apparently works on M1530. I have an M1330 and it didn't help me. It seems the 8400GS bios is not dumpable because it is built into the motherboard bios.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=241105

@DarwinX,

I did not realize this and this is great to know. So Slice's package is the one to use for older hardware in general or just hardware with similar spec's to the XPS M1330/M1530? Is Kozlek's branch more for current hardware or is Slice's keep up with the current hardware to?

Thanks

EDITED

What can I use for monitoring since Kozlek's HwMonitor is very convenient and not sure if that will work with Slice;s package?

WOuld you happen to know if the Dell D820 has the same SuperIO chip as the XPS? I don't have windows at all on that machine so is there another tool I can use to see what that chip is?

Thanks

Crossfader64, I noticed that you have a working fan RPM reading in your SMCMonitor. How did you get that working?

Immo

yes Crossfader64, I'd like to know this too!

There is a method I read about where you specify Chameleon to load a vbios that apparently works on M1530. I have an M1330 and it didn't help me. It seems the 8400GS bios is not dumpable because it is built into the motherboard bios.

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=241105

I wouldn't say "undumpable" I'm sure it just takes a bit more creativity... :-)

The ACPISensors.kext and IntelThermal.kext are not necessary and must be removed from the FakeSMC Plugin directory.

Crossfader64, I noticed that you have a working fan RPM reading in your SMCMonitor. How did you get that working?

Slice's NSCPC8739x.kext provides standard System Fan read out in HWMonitor, iStat Menus, SMC Monitor, etc.

F0Ac			1940				Fan 0 RPM

SMC Monitor.appv.0.2.zip

@DarwinX,

I did not realize this and this is great to know. So Slice's package is the one to use for older hardware in general or just hardware with similar spec's to the XPS M1330/M1530? Is Kozlek's branch more for current hardware or is Slice's keep up with the current hardware to?

Slice's branch was the first to provide the hardware sensors monitoring plugins support for the open source virtual SMC device kernel extension for Mac OS X by netkas (http://netkas.org/). It remains under active development by Slice. Kozlek (Mozodojo), formerly on Slice's development team, branched out to pursue alternate developmental opportunities.

What can I use for monitoring since Kozlek's HwMonitor is very convenient and not sure if that will work with Slice;s package?

The two branches are incompatible with each other. However, Slice's branch provides the HWMonitor.app of its own.

It is contained within the FakeSMC package which I have previously uploaded. Conveniently, I have also attached the said app to this post:

HWMonitor.appv1.1.0.zip

• Like 1

Immo

I dont have any idea, but I think these are NOT the right values. It always shows either 0 RPM or 1940RPM. It's the same like my CPU values...either 594 MHz or 2487 MHz

The ACPISensors.kext and IntelThermal.kext are not necessary and must be removed from the FakeSMC Plugin directory.

What are these plugins doing?

Slice's NSCPC8739x.kext provides standard System Fan read out in HWMonitor, iStat Menus, SMC Monitor, etc.

F0Ac			1940				Fan 0 RPM

I thought so, but I do have this loaded and I get no fan readout in any of the software that you mentioned. I moved it into System/Library/Extensions and loaded it using kextload to be extra sure that it is indeed loaded. I found nothing in the logs related to it. M1330 difference? Perhaps I require a DSDT patch?

Immo

@DarwinX,

Did you install ML 10.8 via USB boot method? I am unable to get past the PCI Configuration Begins with either UniBe...v1.5.1 nor MyHack....

I have tried to pass a couple of different arguments at the boot prompt:

PCIRootUID=0 npci-0x2000 USBBusFIX=YES. I did not try cpus=1 nor arch=i386.

So where you able to install with a USB Flash boot method or some other.

Anyone else able to install the USB FLash method way and if so which method and what arguments did you pass at the boot prompt.

Thanks

@DarwinX,

Did you install ML 10.8 via USB boot method? I am unable to get past the PCI Configuration Begins with either UniBe...v1.5.1 nor MyHack....

I have tried to pass a couple of different arguments at the boot prompt:

PCIRootUID=0 npci-0x2000 USBBusFIX=YES. I did not try cpus=1 nor arch=i386.

So where you able to install with a USB Flash boot method or some other.

Anyone else able to install the USB FLash method way and if so which method and what arguments did you pass at the boot prompt.

Thanks

Rather than utilizing a USB drive, I installed the OS X 10.8 by simply restoring the OS X 10.8 RTM BaseSystem.dmg

unto an existing GUID partition on my internal hard drive and then installing that on the yet another GUID partition of the same hard drive.

The org.chameleon.Boot.plist, SMBios.plist, DSDT.aml, Chameleon v2.1 and Extensions remain identical to those of the OS X 10.7.

Starting with the OS X 10.7, the AppleACPIPlatform went rogue and became completely unstable and incompatible with our systems.

Therefore, to my knowledge, the only way to bypass the [PCI Configuration] error is to revert to the kext version 1.3.6 and below from the OS X 10.6.8.

The IOPCIFamily.kext modified by Netkas offers an alternate solution, albeit less desirable due to the resulting system instability.

I have previously provided this information in my recent posts.

Has anyone else had an issue with their computer not staying asleep? With 10.7.4 and ML if I leave it sleeping and come back to it much later it has powered on again. USB wake is disabled in the bios and I've tried disconnecting all USB devices and the LAN but it still powers on.

Hi darwvinx and guys,

Zyxel nwd271n usb adaptor in snow work,I installed the software in mountainlion,now work on both systems?

Thx.

If it's a USB device it's probably not a Hackintosh issue. You can confirm this by trying it on a true Mac with ML.

However my suggestion is to buy an TrueMobile 1505 Draft N card from Ebay to replace your Intel integrated one as it works flawless out of the box (I found it listed by its part number MX846, with a number of them listed under $10 now!)

I seem to be having a similar issue to ruslan's getting Mountain Lion installation going (hanging in the same place just before the GUI should start), but for some strange reason my M1530 doesn't even seem to want to take downgrading the USB drive's S/L/E AppleACPIPlatform / IOPCIFamily as an answer. Immo, could you quickly run through how you got your ML installer working with your M1330? I'm using the basis of this (rather pooly worded) guide but there must be a better, cleaner way of doing it without using Uni and then fiddling with that.

I seem to be having a similar issue to ruslan's getting Mountain Lion installation going (hanging in the same place just before the GUI should start), but for some strange reason my M1530 doesn't even seem to want to take downgrading the USB drive's S/L/E AppleACPIPlatform / IOPCIFamily as an answer. Immo, could you quickly run through how you got your ML installer working with your M1330? I'm using the basis of this (rather pooly worded) guide but there must be a better, cleaner way of doing it without using Uni and then fiddling with that.

I made a VERY rough guide here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=83039&view=findpost&p=1844454

I put it in MacGirl's thread because I don't want this to become a how to install thread. So please post any questions there.

If someone wants to make a more detailed step-by-step guide based on my rough one please feel free.

Immo

Has anyone else had an issue with their computer not staying asleep? With 10.7.4 and ML if I leave it sleeping and come back to it much later it has powered on again. USB wake is disabled in the bios and I've tried disconnecting all USB devices and the LAN but it still powers on.

If anyone else has the same issue I figured it out. I don't think it's a Hackintosh issue at all. Under System Preferences -> Energy Saver -> Power Adapter, turn off the checkbox that says "Wake for network access". The strange thing is that I tried this much earlier and I still had the issue for a few days, but then the issue went away. Now it wakes up if I have it on and does not wake up if I turn it off.