VMware SVGA II display driver for OS X, v1.2.5

308 posts in this topic

In Mission Control view, the thumbnails are garbled (see screenshot attached), is this normal? Also, Launchpad doesn't work well compared to Lion, but I suppose this may be a QE/CI issue...
Neither of these bugs (thumbnails, Launchpad) is related to the driver. I checked and there's nothing special going on with the driver during use of these features. I don't think Apple test OS X on non-QE systems thoroughly - as a result, sometimes there are bugs in the WindowServer or applications that don't show up when QE is present - so don't get discovered. There used to be problem with window-grab in the Grab application. This was a bug in the WindowServer - in OS 10.8 it's fixed.

Hello,

I have Snow Leopard 10.6.7 installed on VMWare Workstation 9 using EasyEFI 3.1 disk.

And after installation of VMsvga2 v1.2.5d6 driver I got the following errors on boot:

kxld[net.osx86.driver.VMsvga2]: The Mach-O file is malformed: Invalid segment type in MH_OBJECT kext: 38.

Can't load kext net.osx86.driver.VMsvga2 - link failed.

Failed to load executable for kext net.osx86.driver.VMsvga2.

Kext net.osx86.driver.VMsvga2 failed to load (0xdc008016).

Dependency net.osx86.driver.VMsvga2 of kext net.osx86.driver.VMsvga2Accel failed to load.

Failed to load kext net.osx86.driver.VMsvga2Accel (error 0xdc008015).

• Like 1

Please try this alternate installer. I built it with the OS 10.7 SDK. It may work on OS 10.6. If it doesn't, I'll have to discontinue support for OS 10.6.

Unfortunately this one is also not working and fails with the same errors :-(

Actually the old driver ver 1.2.3 worked good on Workstation 8, all problems began after I had upgraded to VMWare Workstation 9 where non of existing VMsvga2 drivers works properly...

Is it possible to build new VMsvga2 driver that contains all fixes for VMWare Workstation 9 and compatible with OS X 10.6?

Thank you.

Unfortunately this one is also not working and fails with the same errors :-(

Actually the old driver ver 1.2.3 worked good on Workstation 8, all problems began after I had upgraded to VMWare Workstation 9 where non of existing VMsvga2 drivers works properly...

Is it possible to build new VMsvga2 driver that contains all fixes for VMWare Workstation 9 and compatible with OS X 10.6?

Ok, apparently this is a known bug in Xcode 4.5.x which is described here. It builds 32-bit kexts that don't load on OS's 10.6 and 10.7. I've uploaded a rebuilt version to sourceforge that suppresses LC_FUNCTION_STARTS. The other offending load command (LC_DATA_IN_CODE) is still there, and there's no switch to suppress it.

This doesn't affect the 64-bit driver which should still load on OS 10.6 and 10.7.

If you need a 32-bit version, what you can do is pull the latest code from trunk (see my post #149) and build it with xcode 4.4.x or earlier. [Most recent upload to sourceforge has this problem solved.]

Hi... I've installed 1.2.5d6, but somehow I'm still running into the problem that it was designed to solve. When I look at the kernel logs, I get the same message that pomoika reports above: "kxld[net.osx86.driver.VMsvga2]: The Mach-O file is malformed: Invalid segment type in MH_OBJECT kext: 38."

My setup:

Ubuntu 12.04 host

VMware Player 5.0.0

Lion 10.7.5 prebuilt VMWare image

VMWare tools installed from here: http://www.mediafire.com/zackehsoul

I released VMsvga2 v1.2.5 and uploaded to SourceForge.

Release Notes for v1.2.5

1. Added Support for ScreenObject2 (available Workstation 8/Fusion 4 and beyond).

2. Fixed bug with use of ScreenObject/ScreenObject2 under Workstation 9/Fusion 5.

3. Memory Allocation has been overhauled to support unrestricted allocation of guest RAM for CGS surfaces. Previously VMsvga2 was limited to use of guest VRAM for this purpose. This implies guest VRAM can be reduced to its minimum value of 16000 KiB - and VMsvga2 will still provide full functionality. guest VRAM size may be set in the VMX file as follows
    svga.autodetect = "FALSE"
    svga.vramSize = "16384000"

4. Window grab in Grab application has worked since OS 10.7 due to fixes made in OS X.

I made an extensive effort to try and build v1.2.5 for Leopard - but was unsuccessful. Current versions of ld (Xcode 4.5.x) produce kexts that can't be loaded by OS 10.5 due to alignment issues. The installation package is for OS 10.6 - 10.8.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I released VMsvga2 v1.2.5 and uploaded to SourceForge.

Release Notes for v1.2.5

1. Added Support for ScreenObject2 (available Workstation 8/Fusion 4 and beyond).

2. Fixed bug with use of ScreenObject/ScreenObject2 under Workstation 9/Fusion 5.

3. Memory Allocation has been overhauled to support unrestricted allocation of guest RAM for CGS surfaces. Previously VMsvga2 was limited to use of guest VRAM for this purpose. This implies guest VRAM can be reduced to its minimum value of 16000 KiB - and VMsvga2 will still provide full functionality. guest VRAM size may be set in the VMX file as follows
    svga.autodetect = "FALSE"
    svga.vramSize = "16384000"

4. Window grab in Grab application has worked since OS 10.7 due to fixes made in OS X.

I made an extensive effort to try and build v1.2.5 for Leopard - but was unsuccessful. Current versions of ld (Xcode 4.5.x) produce kexts that can't be loaded by OS 10.5 due to alignment issues. The installation package is for OS 10.6 - 10.8.

Thanks for this. Without this build, the performance was so laggy. But with this build, that is gone. its much smoother.

However..

When I set the values to my VMX file, the log file says could not retrieve the vramsize and hence setting it default value! Using vmware9 with 10.8 guest on windows 7 x64 host. Any inputs?

Thanks,

Nagu

However..

When I set the values to my VMX file, the log file says could not retrieve the vramsize and hence setting it default value! Using vmware9 with 10.8 guest on windows 7 x64 host. Any inputs?

works for me with that exact text. 'System Information' app in the guest shows 15MB VRAM.

Same setup as yours, except host is Windows 8 x64. However, I've tried this on Windows 7 x64 as well and I'm sure it worked.

post-446538-0-77214200-1352147089_thumb.png

Interestingly for me also the system information apop shows 15 MB VRAM :) But the vmware logfile still shows the same old message. Since its working..it should not be a issue for the timebeing. Thanks.

By the by..can that 15 MB size be increased? will it result in better performance? especially some animation like mission control are very laggy?

By the by..can that 15 MB size be increased? will it result in better performance? especially some animation like mission control are very laggy?

guest vram can be set in the range 15.625MiB - 128MiB. The default is 32MiB for HW version 9 on guestos darwin.
  • For VMwareGfx it is useless to set guest VRAM above 16MiB, since nothing above that area is ever used.
  • For VMsvga v1.2.5, it is also useless to set it anything above 16MiB. VMsvga2 does use extra memory for screen captures and might also use extra memory for the window-buffer if the resolution is large. However, in v1.2.5, the driver is able to allocate this memory from anywhere in guest physical memory. It doesn't need the guest vram. In fact, it could work with zero guest vram, if the hypervisor allowed that...

• 4 months later...

Just a quick question from a newb to OS X VM. I will not be able to get Launchpad to function properly regardless of host machine hardware in the current state of things using VMware because there is no QE/CI supported driver?

• 2 months later...

See this.

It's a problem in OS 10.8.x - which is fixed in OS 10.9 DP2.

Unfortunately, in 10.9 DP2, VMsvga2 is broken for other causes, and the ability to set wanted resolution in VMsvga2 or VMwareGfx is broken.

I have the same problem. Launchpad kills performance. It freezes for like 3-5 minutes.

Also, is this thread dead? Is there a new one anywhere that I missed?

• 4 weeks later...

Gives a new Update for Mavericks in VMWare 5.0.3?

- Graphics are very poor, no QU/CI (VLC doesn´t play any Vids)

- Screen Resolution buggy

You cannot have QE/CI in a virtual machine. Install it as a native hackintosh or don't bother with a VM for video playback.

• 3 weeks later...

yes same problem here on work station 9 very sad no support still to fix the video lag issue . i wonder is there a way of changing the hardware accelrated feature of os x to software in vmware work station that should allow all tasks to be carried out by the software thus elimanting the need for hardware accelaration .

yes same problem here on work station 9 very sad no support still to fix the video lag issue . i wonder is there a way of changing the hardware accelrated feature of os x to software in vmware work station that should allow all tasks to be carried out by the software thus elimanting the need for hardware accelaration .

Years later, and no progress for such things have been made. The only way to get hardware-accelerated video is to run OS X natively.

have any of you succesfully installed os x on a windows pc something like a dual boot option

Yes, create partition from Mac installer then you can install Windows and OSX after it, and the bootloader will detect windows and let you 

• 4 weeks later...

The latest installment of VMwareGfx found in Fusion 6.0 has 2D acceleration code in it.

Edit: The acceleration code is only loaded up to OS 10.8.5.  It's not loaded for 10.9.

Never bothered install this since I always used vmware tools, but very impressed overall, better performance overall! Thanks Zenith432 again!