VMware SVGA II display driver for OS X, v1.2.5

308 posts in this topic

Your post only opens up the door for other noobs to immediately post easily-Googleable questions to where people just expect things to be handed to them without doing any prior research or showing any intention of doing so.

So, continue to protect the lazies.

Can anyone post foolproof instructions on how to get 1366x768 screen resolution on mavericks with the latest pkg of these graphic drivers?

I have a VM with mavericks, I installed vmware tools and patch, I previously installed vmsvgaII proper package, I still can't get that kind of resolution in the list.

---- edit ----

I found a way, after installing vmware tools, the guest package and the svgaii driver you have to click on the vmware fullscreen button and then again to make it full screen, the res will be adjusted. Only problem is it won't last after a restart.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone post foolproof instructions on how to get 1366x768 screen resolution on mavericks with the latest pkg of these graphic drivers?

I also have a 1366x768 screen, and after some Googling, I found that if you hold the Alt key while pressing the "Scaled" setting in the Displays page of System Preferences, you can get a much larger list of resolutions to show. 1366x768 should be one of them.

However, I ended up just using the "Best for display" option after installing the guestd_patches package, which enables automatic resolutions.

I am using the SVGA 10.9 package on an ESXI install with Mavericks.  Everything works well enough.  One concern I have is that my console log is filled with hundreds and hundreds of lines that look like this:

3/30/14 6:49:32.751 AM WindowServer[135]: _CGXGLDisplayContextForDisplayDevice: No matching context for device (0x7fd35851a960) - disabling OpenGL
3/30/14 6:49:32.768 AM WindowServer[135]: _CGXGLDisplayContextForDisplayDevice: No matching context for device (0x7fd35851a960) - disabling OpenGL
3/30/14 6:49:32.785 AM WindowServer[135]: _CGXGLDisplayContextForDisplayDevice: No matching context for device (0x7fd35851a960) - disabling OpenGL

Any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...

Yes working with mavericks, but using osx without qe/cl is not good choice. Maybe is better solution using passthrough but you need non K procesor nad VT-d motherboard and proper video card :D

I still use a 10.8.2 VM with this driver. I only use the VM for iMessage and Tweetbot which works perfectly fine.

• 4 weeks later...

if there anyway to get more vram i need about 1gb ?

WarDoctor,

The simple answer is no for the virtual graphics driver, the only way to get more vRAM is via graphics pass-through, see the two links below for some pointers:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285733-graphics-acceleration-in-esxi-51-and-os-x-mountain-lion-vm/?p=1883583

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/267296-esxi-5-mac-os-x-unlocker/?p=2006727

• 2 weeks later...

I've installed 10.10 DP1 in a VM and VMsvga2 does not work properly on it - the desktop will constantly crash and restart itself. Without VMsvga2 the graphics performance is pretty bad  :no: 

• 1 month later...

Hoping for some help...I was having some weird issues with my 10.9 install on ESX 5.5...it was going to the dreaded gray screen on logout and nothing could be done but reboot.

Anyway....

I updated my ESXi 5.5 with all latest patches and updated the unlocker to 1.3.

Then, I did a fresh install of 10.9 from the .dmg and everything looked fine.

Installed VMWare Tools, rebooted...fine

Installed guestd_patches.pkg, rebooted....fine

Installed VMsvga2_v1.2.5_OS_10.9.pkg, rebooted...and now instead of a login screen I just have a black screen with a pointer.

I restored a snapshot and I'm ok...but I'd like to have the VMsvga2_v1.2.5_OS_10.9.pkg installed if possible.

Any ideas?

UPDATE:  I reapplied both patches to my reverted snapshot and the same thing occurs.  Then, I tried to install just VMsvga2_v1.2.5_OS_10.9.pkg without guestd_patches.pkg.  That resulted upon the grey apple screen on reboot with a stuck spinner...even after another cold boot.

UPDATE2:  Cold rebooted again from a stuck black screen and now it's stuck on the grey screen... so not sure if the guestd_patches.pkg had any real impact to the change in issues I'm seeing.

UPDATE3: Safe mode boot (shift) works.. so likely a kext?   Ok..no more updates until someone can offer me some advice.  TIA!

Ok...so I went ahead and applied the following to my .VMX file (from front page):

svga.autodetect = "FALSE"
svga.vramSize = "16384000"

Now it doesn't really seem to say anywhere that applying these settings are mandatory, but rather an option.  However I am sure that this is the difference between me having the issue and not.

So...can someone confirm if these are supposed to be *required* for this to work and what exactly they are doing that would make the difference?

Another update for posterity:  I recently rebuilt all my OSX templates and didn't have any problems this time around.  I think I built Mavericks with a different image this time (10.9.4 not 10.9.0), but I did not have to make any of the changes.

Hoping for some help...I was having some weird issues with my 10.9 install on ESX 5.5...it was going to the dreaded gray screen on logout and nothing could be done but reboot.

Anyway....

I updated my ESXi 5.5 with all latest patches and updated the unlocker to 1.3.

Then, I did a fresh install of 10.9 from the .dmg and everything looked fine.

Installed VMWare Tools, rebooted...fine

Installed guestd_patches.pkg, rebooted....fine

Installed VMsvga2_v1.2.5_OS_10.9.pkg, rebooted...and now instead of a login screen I just have a black screen with a pointer.

I restored a snapshot and I'm ok...but I'd like to have the VMsvga2_v1.2.5_OS_10.9.pkg installed if possible.

Any ideas?

UPDATE:  I reapplied both patches to my reverted snapshot and the same thing occurs.  Then, I tried to install just VMsvga2_v1.2.5_OS_10.9.pkg without guestd_patches.pkg.  That resulted upon the grey apple screen on reboot with a stuck spinner...even after another cold boot.

UPDATE2:  Cold rebooted again from a stuck black screen and now it's stuck on the grey screen... so not sure if the guestd_patches.pkg had any real impact to the change in issues I'm seeing.

UPDATE3: Safe mode boot (shift) works.. so likely a kext?   Ok..no more updates until someone can offer me some advice.  TIA!

Ok...so I went ahead and applied the following to my .VMX file (from front page):

svga.autodetect = "FALSE"

svga.vramSize = "16384000"

Now it doesn't really seem to say anywhere that applying these settings are mandatory, but rather an option.  However I am sure that this is the difference between me having the issue and not.

So...can someone confirm if these are supposed to be *required* for this to work and what exactly they are doing that would make the difference?

While I'm still awaiting the answer on the above, I have another (possibly related) issue?

As I mention I'm running this on ESXi 5.5 and I continuously am getting the following errors in my system log:

2013-11-23 18:37:06 -0600 WindowServer[88]: _CGXGLDisplayContextForDisplayDevice: No matching context for device (0x7fcf60518790) - disabling OpenGL

I've looked around and it seems like this is a common enough problem with no real solutions.  I did however find this page:

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-1593194-p-4.html

The poster there states this:

"Ok, I have eliminated the _CGXGLDisplayContextForDisplayDevice error by removing the 10.7.2 GMA950 kexts, and entering 0x27A28086 into AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext/Contents/Info.plist, thus linking the 10.8.4 WindowServer & CGX library into a modern Mavericks native driver/kext."

Now he is installing on actual older Mac hardware, not a VM...but I'm wondering if he is onto anything re: a solution.  I'm still a bit of a neophyte when it comes to hardware on Macs, so just asking someone for input in translating this and if it might be applicable to VM as well to eliminate the error.

TIA

• 1 month later...

Update for VMware Tools attached to VMware Fusion 7.0.0

1. VMwareGfx.kext now supports all 2D-acceleration features found in VMsvga2 with OS 10.9.x.  VMsvga2 is no longer in development.  Therefore, I suggest using VMwareGfx.kext in the future - as it's maintained by VMware.
  2. guestd_patches no longer work if installed on top (as a patch to) VMware Tools 7.x - the patch crashes vmware-tools-daemon.  Therefore, if you want to continue using the patch, need to do it on earlier VMware Tools.
  3. It is possible to inject an EDID with VMwareGfx.kext as follows
  4. Edit VMwareGfx.kext/Contents/Info.plist and add the EDID as in following example (added VMW,EDID key)
  5. 		<key>VMware SVGA II as a PCI device</key>
    		<dict>
    			<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
    			<string>com.vmware.kext.VMwareGfx</string>
    			<key>IOClass</key>
    			<string>VMwareGfx</string>
    			<key>IOUserClientClass</key>
    			<string>VMwareGfxUserClient</string>
    			<!--
    			    Personality "1" of IONDRVSupport.kext (Apple's
    			    default framebuffer driver) matches the device
    			    with:
    			       IOProviderClass: IOPCIDevice
    			       IOMatchCategory: IOFramebuffer
    			       IOProbeScore   : 20000

To make this driver start instead of Apple's
    			    driver, we must win the matching process by using
    			    the same IOProviderClass and IOMatchCategory
    			    values, and a higher IOProbeScore value.
    			-->
    			<key>IOProviderClass</key>
    			<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
    			<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
    			<string>0x040515AD</string>
    			<key>IOMatchCategory</key>
    			<string>IOFramebuffer</string>
    			<key>IOProbeScore</key>
    			<integer>30001</integer>
    			<key>VMW,EDID</key>
    			<data>[Insert base64 encoded EDID here]</data>
    		</dict>

6. Unfortunately, modifying Info.plist in VMwareGfx.kext renders its code signature invalid.  So it needs to be added as an exception to /S/L/E/AppleKextExcludeList.kext/Contents/Info.plist as follows
  7. [Near end]
    		<key>com.vmware.kext.VMwareGfx</key>
    		<string>1111.0</string>
    		<key>com.apple.driver.KextExcludeList</key>
    		<string>1111.0</string>
    	</dict>
    </dict>
    </plist>

Regards.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I'm new arround here and not so good at english! I'll try to explain my situation the best I can.

I love Ubuntu and I'm commited with this system! I love Mac OS X interface better than Windows! I Have 2 VMware Machines, one for Windows 8 and another for OS X Mavericks, I have those for Photoshop mostly as I can't stand the Wine way to have it, neither the Windows way (LOL) so in Windows all works well, in OS X I can't use the Lightning Effects, I guess that is because of graphic memory or open-gl... I do have 3D Accelleration turned ON on VMware Options with no luck... I  would like to know if there is any option or anything that I could do to bypass this situation! 

My system:
I7-4700MQ

16GB RAM

Intel 4600 Graphics

GT 740m 2GB

Toshiba L50-A-1F2

Thank you in advance, hope you can help me!

Hi! I'm new arround here and not so good at english! I'll try to explain my situation the best I can.

I love Ubuntu and I'm commited with this system! I love Mac OS X interface better than Windows! I Have 2 VMware Machines, one for Windows 8 and another for OS X Mavericks, I have those for Photoshop mostly as I can't stand the Wine way to have it, neither the Windows way (LOL) so in Windows all works well, in OS X I can't use the Lightning Effects, I guess that is because of graphic memory or open-gl... I do have 3D Accelleration turned ON on VMware Options with no luck... I  would like to know if there is any option or anything that I could do to bypass this situation! 

My system:

I7-4700MQ

16GB RAM

Intel 4600 Graphics

GT 740m 2GB

Toshiba L50-A-1F2

Thank you in advance, hope you can help me!

paesan0,

Unfortunately 3D Acceleration is not supported for OS X in a Virtual Machine under VMware, in other words anything that uses QE/CI is not going to work! The latest graphics drivers included in the VMware Tools for Fusion 7.0.0 provide the best 2D Acceleration that is currently on offer, but NO 3D, regardless of whether you have them ticked in your virtual machine settings.

If you need 3D Acceleration and QE/CI then I have seen some discussion regarding support under VirtualBox, but I have not tried it myself, alternatively create a dual or triple boot Hackintosh, looking at your machine specification that should be relatively straight forward, see the excellent guide by pokenguyen, see link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298027-guide-aio-guides-for-hackintosh/?p=2019429

paesan0,

Unfortunately 3D Acceleration is not supported for OS X in a Virtual Machine under VMware, in other words anything that uses QE/CI is not going to work! The latest graphics drivers included in the VMware Tools for Fusion 7.0.0 provide the best 2D Acceleration that is currently on offer, but NO 3D, regardless of whether you have them ticked in your virtual machine settings.

If you need 3D Acceleration and QE/CI then I have seen some discussion regarding support under VirtualBox, but I have not tried it myself, alternatively create a dual or triple boot Hackintosh, looking at your machine specification that should be relatively straight forward, see the excellent guide by pokenguyen, see link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298027-guide-aio-guides-for-hackintosh/?p=2019429

I don't know if I need 3D  acceleration or not, I just want Photoshop to work correctly, I guess Open-GL would be enough... Anyway, I'll port my VMware Machine to Virtualbox and cross my fingers! 

As for Dualboot, as I have not seen any nVidia GT 740m support I wont go that way for now... But thank you for the guide, I've saved it for later!!

I don't know if I need 3D  acceleration or not, I just want Photoshop to work correctly, I guess Open-GL would be enough... Anyway, I'll port my VMware Machine to Virtualbox and cross my fingers! 

As for Dualboot, as I have not seen any nVidia GT 740m support I wont go that way for now... But thank you for the guide, I've saved it for later!!

It is the same situation on VirtualBox, you will not get the acceleration needed for Photoshop.

• Like 1

It is the same situation on VirtualBox, you will not get the acceleration needed for Photoshop.

Donk,

Thanks for the clarification regarding Acceleration and VirtualBox.

paesan0,

In terms of a Hackintosh, since you have a new laptop which has dual graphics support, you can disable the nVidia in BIOS and just use HD4600 for OS X, which is fully supported, just an option.

paesan0,

In terms of a Hackintosh, since you have a new laptop which has dual graphics support, you can disable the nVidia in BIOS and just use HD4600 for OS X, which is fully supported, just an option.

I haven't seen no option on my bios to disable nvidia graphics :\