282 replies to this topic

ArgVega

ArgVega

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Hi Zenith,

I am a newbie here on the forums, and have slowly been learning about Mac OS virtualization. I have learned alot about your SnowKitty project, and have even helped some users on the forum, also worked through my non VT-x issues. I have also read your documentation, as well as some of your source code. I am very far from understanding your work, but it is something of great interest to me, so I am putting alot of effort :rolleyes: . I would like to see if I could help you with your efforts on this driver, and hopefully being able to enable open gl some day. I would be willing to do anything you need to help in your development. I could do testing, learn to help you code, type manuals or documents or notations, anything that you need to help you on your project.

Please let me know how I can help!

PM or Email me: gonzalo.hvega@yahoo.com

jamesj

jamesj

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Guys:

Is there a way to increase the VRAM above 128MB? I need to create slides in Keynote, but they are always displayed as black boxes. I updated the driver per the new pkg and set the resolution to 1280x1024 but it didn't help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm running a fully patched SnowLeopard 10.6.3 with 4 procs and 4GB of RAM.

I don't know that it matters, but my base OS is Windows 7 x64 on a Core i7 980 Quad, 12GB RAM, & an ATI 5890 w/ 1GB RAM.

Thanks!

Attached Files

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts

Guys:

Is there a way to increase the VRAM above 128MB? I need to create slides in Keynote, but they are always displayed as black boxes. I updated the driver per the new pkg and set the resolution to 1280x1024 but it didn't help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm running a fully patched SnowLeopard 10.6.3 with 4 procs and 4GB of RAM.

I don't know that it matters, but my base OS is Windows 7 x64 on a Core i7 980 Quad, 12GB RAM, & an ATI 5890 w/ 1GB RAM.

Thanks!

No that is the limit for VRAM for the SVGAII virtual graphics card. Base machine is irrelevant in this instance.

Zavarzin

Zavarzin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

The link to the auto-fit guests for VMware tools "guestd_patches.pkg" from Zenith432 is at the link below:

http://sourceforge.n.../vmsvga2/files/

Does this auto-fit work only with the Fusion?

Is there some version for Workstation 7 going to be out?

Please, it would be very useful :D

Zenith432

Zenith432

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 460 posts

Does this auto-fit work only with the Fusion?

No, the host can be any VMware product. The guest must be OS X, and you must have VMware Tools installed in the guest. Since VMware Tools for the Mac come with Fusion, you need to get them from there. After installing VMware Tools in the guest, install guestd_patches.pkg, which will overwrite one file in VMware Tools to make it work with VMsvga2.

Zres

Zres

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Any news regarding QE/CI ?
I m so eager to enable these features, that i would really like to help!!!

Zenith432

Zenith432

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 460 posts

Any news regarding QE/CI?

I stopped work on the SVGA driver back in December 2009. The OpenGL work [QE/CI] requires too much reverse engineering, so I dropped it.

Zres

Zres

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Guess we 'll have to keep trying with OSx86 dual boot then for full SL functionality.
Vmware SL projects seem to be dead.

SnowMyuu

SnowMyuu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
here , i compiled VMware SVGA II 1.2.2 with custom 1366x768 resolution for Snow Kitty....
Mediafire

ArgVega

ArgVega

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

here , i compiled VMware SVGA II 1.2.2 with custom 1366x768 resolution for Snow Kitty....
Mediafire

how to install?

NorTypeZERO

NorTypeZERO

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks Zenith432. Great work!!! The screen is really responsive.
But I wonder can anyone select 1366 x 768 option yet? :)
I installed VMsvga2_1.2.1_for_snow_leopard, and don't have that resolution option.

0m3gA

0m3gA

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
Guest Fit is not working as well as it did before for me. I used to be able to do Guest Fit at any time, now it only works once during boot since updating to 10.6.4 and using a newer VMware Tools package. Also the animation when opening a Stack grid was smoother.

I am using VMware Workstation 7.1.0 build-261024 and Snow Leopard 10.6.4.

I installed in this order:
VMware Tools.app (extracted from darwin.iso from VMware Fusion 3.1)
VMsvga2_v1.2.2_Common_Installer.pkg
guestd_patches.pkg

Any idea why this sorta works and any steps I can do to improve how it works?

bjoure

bjoure

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
I installed the driver package and rebooted. I can tell that 2D performance has been remarkably improved. Scrolling is much smoother. However, I have two problems still:

My GPU is now listed as having only 16MB VRAM, I used to have 128MB. Is this just a error of representation? Since 2D performance is much better and my res is 1920x1200 I don't know how my SL VM can use only 16MB VRAM.

And also, VLC still can't play video file properly. Whenever I play a video file I get no video but audio is perfectly working. Is this has to do with VLC using hardware acceleration to decode video? I get video and audio if I play my files in QT with Perian, but the stutter makes them impossible to watch.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts

I installed the driver package and rebooted. I can tell that 2D performance has been remarkably improved. Scrolling is much smoother. However, I have two problems still:

My GPU is now listed as having only 16MB VRAM, I used to have 128MB. Is this just a error of representation? Since 2D performance is much better and my res is 1920x1200 I don't know how my SL VM can use only 16MB VRAM.

And also, VLC still can't play video file properly. Whenever I play a video file I get no video but audio is perfectly working. Is this has to do with VLC using hardware acceleration to decode video? I get video and audio if I play my files in QT with Perian, but the stutter makes them impossible to watch.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

As I posted in the other thread you won't get programs that use QE/CI working in VMware, until VMware develop a driver for it. I wouldn't recommend VMware running programs that are graphically or audio intensive.

You can increase the virtual GPU VRAM, Google or search for svga.vramzsize

AfflatusX

AfflatusX

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks for the great work!

I'm currently using a monitor with 2048x1152 screen resolution. I'm wondering if this driver can or will support it in the future? or maybe i can modify the source code then re compile it?

Please let me know if there's anyway to fix that.

Thanks very much

AfflatusX

Zenith432

Zenith432

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 460 posts
Update:

I've uploaded a new version of guestd_patches.pkg in the files area of VMsvga2 on Sourceforge. It contains a patch for the VMware Darwin Tools that come with Fusion 3.1.1 (shipped Aug 13 2010), to make fit-guest work with VMsvga2.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Update:

I've uploaded a new version of guestd_patches.pkg in the files area of VMsvga2 on Sourceforge. It contains a patch for the VMware Darwin Tools that come with Fusion 3.1.1 (shipped Aug 13 2010), to make fit-guest work with VMsvga2.

Zenith432,

Brilliant, Thanks on behalf of everyone, MSoK.

Zenith432

Zenith432

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 460 posts
VMsvga2 v1.2.3

Changelog from 1.2.2 to 1.2.3

1) Added three more display modes
- 2048x1152, 1600x900, 1366x768

There is a common installer for the Leopard and SnowLeopard versions (see link in Post #1.)

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

VMsvga2 v1.2.3

There is a common installer for the Leopard and SnowLeopard versions (see link in Post #1.)

Zenith432, as always thanks for your continued support, MSoK.

vuvspbat

vuvspbat

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

VMsvga2 v1.2.3

Also just wanted to say big thanks to Zenith432 for this driver.

G.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy