Finally GA-P35-DS3L REV:2.0 Success

swede420

119 posts in this topic

Well, weirdly enough, here is the deal: Snow Leopard won't boot on my 1.5TB hard drive. That's it. Followed directions perfectly, nada. But on my little 80GB dude, it's fine. So, there you have it. No Snow on a partitioned 1.5TB drive. I'll probably post about this...

Anyway, after days of frustration, THANK YOU BLACKOSX for your guide. And also to WantMacOSX for the topic post.

Love you all,

-cj

I actually hadn't edited the PlatformUUID.kext file...I didn't think it said you had to until later on (after the installation). I did this though, and it seemed to help a little. The installer made it about 1/3 of the way through before crashing this time (as opposed to like 1/8 of the way before). I thought maybe this crash had to do with printers/languages being selected, so I unchecked them, but go another KP altogether (it was linked to mkext). Any idea's on that one? My Install drive looks exactly the same as your as far as Kexts and other files are concerned, so I can't figure out what else could possibly be wrong. DSDT file maybe?

You could build a new dsdt file. What did you include in the last one? Here is mine.

dsdt.aml.zip

It is simply for the ga-p35-ds3l rev 2.0. No ethernet, graphics, or audio (I use USB sound card cause it works better). I added the strings for my ethernet and video card later using EFIStudio. I did this before I tried to boot from the Install drive. It is easy to use. You just copy and paste the sting into your com.Apple.boot.plist.

hey everyone,

i'm a bit of a os x noob - i've done one successful leopard install (no dual boot) on my intel rig before.

but what i want is a bit more complicated.

I've two hdds, one that dual boots windows xp and windows 7

and another that's just storage.

I would like to triple boot and maybe put the Snow Leopard install on the second drive.

The thing is, the last time i installed os x, it was pretty much just following the recipe, though i'm no programmer, and don't really understand it all.

Maybe i'm out of my league here?

what do you guys think?

i'm a noob too, all i can is read guides - try - in case of an error, try to find out why by reading or if i do not find something asking questions - then trying again^^ and after much reading/trying i often get a working solution...

at the moment i am "quad-booting" Windows Vista, Ubuntu 9.04, Mac OS X Leopard, Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

For your problem, just install Chameleon 2.0RC1 (bootloader), this will automaticaly search & show you every bootable partition in your PC (my Chameleon even shows me unbootable partitions - don't now why)

I don't know if you can install Chameleon without OS X, if not search for a Leopard distro (or take your, which you used last time) install it on your second harddrive (i think best will be with a GUID partitiontable) and download the Chameleon 2.0RC1 (or RC2) bootloader package, just install it on your Mac partition...

If you've done this set your Mac OS X harddrive as first bootpartition and it should load the bootloader with all your bootable partitions (Mac OS X, Win7, WinXP)..

After this you also can try to follow snow leopard guides

Finally got SL running :)

Here's a basic guide

Snow Leopard Retail DVD on GA-P35C-DS3R r1.1 Bios F12 with HD4870

1. Followed this guide, using this guide to prepare DSDT.aml.
  2. System wouldn't boot, had to remove ATIRadeonX2000.kext and ATI4800Controller.kext from /System/Library/Extensions before it would boot. (I also removed AppleIntelCPUPowerManagerment.kext, but I think the ATI kexts were the problem, not PowerManagement)
  3. Booted into snow leopard with -f. Followed these instructions to get HD4870 working

My sound isn't working but I expect that will be easy to fix - but that can wait until later. I'll update this post when I get it going

Finally got SL running :P

Here's a basic guide

Snow Leopard Retail DVD on GA-P35C-DS3R r1.1 Bios F12 with HD4870

1. Followed this guide, using this guide to prepare DSDT.aml.
  2. System wouldn't boot, had to remove ATIRadeonX2000.kext and ATI4800Controller.kext from /System/Library/Extensions before it would boot. (I also removed AppleIntelCPUPowerManagerment.kext, but I think the ATI kexts were the problem, not PowerManagement)
  3. Booted into snow leopard with -f. Followed these instructions to get HD4870 working

My sound isn't working but I expect that will be easy to fix - but that can wait until later. I'll update this post when I get it going

Maybe it's me, but your first link does not seem to work.(thanks for fixing the link!!!)

With help from Bummskopf (thanks again!!) and simply following this guide, I managed to get SL installed and running, albeit only in 32bit mode and with the '-f' kernel flag (no cache). Inadvertantly, I also get a KP a few minutes after working with the system.

My setup:

• GA-EP45-DS3R v1.x - f9 BIOS (AHCI enabled)
  • Intel Core 2 Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz
  • Nvidia 9800 GT, 512 MB (using 9800 GTX 512 EFI string)
  • 4 MB RAM

I have 10.5.8 vanilla running on this system with not a hic-up in a long time.

Here is exactly what I did:

1. format drive, single partition, GUID
  2. install SL from disk image by running OSInstall.mpkg and deselecting printers and languages
  3. install Chameleon 2.0 RC1 (default install, no EFI partition) and replace /boot file with netkas' boot file
  4. add the extensions from the guide I linked to to /Extra/Extensions
  5. modified PlatformUUID.kext/Content/Info.plist to point to SL partitions UUID
  6. added ALC889a.kext (thanks Bummskopf! - not sure which thread this was from; see attached)
  7. modified dsdt.dsl to use HDEF audio, recompiled and put into root of SL volume
  8. ran Kextutil.app to rebuild /Extra/Extensions.mkext and fix permissions in /Extra/Extensions
  9. modified /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist to include gfx EFI string from 10.5.8 install
  10. booted using '-x32 -f -v' (-v is optional, all other permutations lead to KP at boot)

my SL root looks like this:

total 37264
 drwxrwxr-t  34 root	admin		 1224 Sep  1 13:15 .
 drwxrwxrwt@ 10 root	admin		  340 Sep  1 13:32 ..
 -rw-r--r--@  1 user2	 admin		 6148 Sep  1 13:09 .DS_Store
 drwx------   3 root	501			102 Sep  1 12:39 .Spotlight-V100
 d-wx-wx-wt@  3 root	_unknown	   102 Sep  1 13:31 .Trashes
 -rw-r--r--   1 root	501			  0 Sep  1 12:39 .com.apple.timemachine.supported
 ----------   1 root	admin			0 Jun 22 23:19 .file
 drwx------   4 root	501			136 Sep  1 13:30 .fseventsd
 -rw-------@  1 root	wheel		65536 Sep  1 12:53 .hotfiles.btree
 drwxr-xr-x   2 root	wheel		   68 May 18 11:29 .vol
 drwxrwxr-x+ 28 root	admin		  952 Sep  1 12:59 Applications
 -rw-r--r--   1 user1  admin		19488 Sep  1 11:45 DSDT.aml
 drwxr-xr-x   8 root	admin		  272 Sep  1 13:41 Extra
 drwxrwxr-t+ 54 root	admin		 1836 Sep  1 12:56 Library
 drwx------   6 user2	 staff		  204 Sep  1 13:16 Mac OS X Install Data
 drwxr-xr-x   2 root	wheel		   68 Jun 22 23:19 Network
 drwxr-xr-x   4 root	wheel		  136 Sep  1 12:43 System
 drwxr-xr-x   5 root	admin		  170 Sep  1 12:59 Users
 drwxrwxrwt+  7 root	admin		  238 Sep  1 13:25 Volumes
 drwxr-xr-x  39 root	wheel		 1326 Sep  1 12:41 bin
 -rwxr-xr-x   1 root	admin	   296128 Sep  1 12:49 boot
 drwxrwxr-t   2 root	admin		   68 Jun 22 23:19 cores
 dr-xr-xr-x   2 root	wheel		   68 Jun 22 23:19 dev
 lrwxr-xr-x   1 root	admin		   11 Sep  1 12:41 etc -> private/etc
 dr-xr-xr-x   2 root	admin		   68 Sep  1 12:57 home
 -rw-r--r--   1 root	wheel	 18672224 Jul 31 22:49 mach_kernel
 dr-xr-xr-x   2 root	admin		   68 Sep  1 12:57 net
 drwxr-xr-x   6 root	wheel		  204 Sep  1 12:44 private
 drwxr-xr-x  64 root	wheel		 2176 Sep  1 12:42 sbin
 lrwxr-xr-x   1 root	admin		   11 Sep  1 12:41 tmp -> private/tmp
 drwxr-xr-x  10 root	wheel		  340 Sep  1 12:47 usr
 lrwxr-xr-x   1 root	admin		   11 Sep  1 12:41 var -> private/var

and /Extra looks like this:

[hackintosh:~] root# ls -R /Volumes/Snowy/Extra/
 total 304
 drwxr-xr-x   8 root  admin	 272 Sep  1 13:41 .
 drwxrwxr-t  34 root  admin	1224 Sep  1 13:15 ..
 drwxr-xr-x  12 root  wheel	 408 Sep  1 12:50 Extensions
 -rw-r--r--   1 root  admin	3634 Sep  1 12:48 Extensions.bak.mkext
 -rw-r--r--   1 root  admin  141273 Sep  1 12:50 Extensions.mkext
 drwxr-xr-x   6 root  admin	 204 Sep  1 12:48 Themes
 -rw-r--r--   1 root  admin	2341 Sep  1 13:09 com.apple.Boot.plist
 -rw-r--r--   1 root  admin	1441 Sep  1 13:41 smbios.plist

/Volumes/Snowy/Extra//Extensions:
 total 0
 drwxr-xr-x  12 root  wheel  408 Sep  1 12:50 .
 drwxr-xr-x   8 root  admin  272 Sep  1 13:41 ..
 drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  102 Sep  1 12:50 AHCIPortInjector.kext
 drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  102 Sep  1 12:50 ALC889a.kext
 drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  102 Sep  1 12:50 ATAPortInjector.kext
 drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  102 Sep  1 12:50 IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
 drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  102 Sep  1 12:50 JMicronATA.kext
 drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  102 Sep  1 12:50 NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
 drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  102 Sep  1 12:50 OpenHaltRestart.kext
 drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  102 Sep  1 12:50 PlatformUUID.kext
 drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  102 Sep  1 12:50 SleepEnabler.kext
 drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  102 Sep  1 12:50 fakesmc.kext

Someone suggested that re-installing SL from a running SL install would take care of KPs, however, I always get one before the install finishes. The '/Mac OS X Install Data' is probably a leftover from me trying.

Any pointers???

EDIT: My kernel log shows the following before each KP:

kernel[0]: FakeSMC: key not found NVPR, length - 1

I am inclined to think that that is my problem, as others have reported the same error on netkas' post...

EDIT 2: See below!!! :(

ALC889a.kext.zip

Maybe it's me, but your first link does not seem to work.

Sorry, fixed the url now. If you follow the the first link, there is a PDF guide you can download, and it offers 2 solutions to KP after first boot. Does that work for you?

[snip]

EDIT: My kernel log shows the following before each KP:

kernel[0]: FakeSMC: key not found NVPR, length - 1

I am inclined to think that that is my problem, as others have reported the same error on netkas' post...

SUCCESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! Writing this from within SL's Safari after following a bit of advice from the GA-EP45-UD3R thread: booted in single user mode ("-x32 -v -f -s") and did this:

mount -uw /
cd /Extra
kextcache -mkext Extensions.mkext Extensions/
cd /System/Library
kextcache -mkext Extensions.mkext Extensions/
reboot

The only flag I used on reboot then was '-v' and I am still up and running. Even ran software update to install some printer drivers without a glitch.

Going to play with this install for a while and then move to upgrade my 10.5.8 "production" system.

One happy SL kitty here!!!! :)

Anyone who is having any issues at all, feel free to ask around in my EP45-UD3R thread. We've had quite a few people report 100% perfection with no KPs/functionality losses/unsupported hardware. I know the boards are different, but they're similar enough to be discussed at the same time : ) Personally, I have an EP45-UD3R, and there is literally nothing that doesn't work on my Hack that works on a Mac. The ONLY thing I can't get to work (and ONLY in x64 that is) is NTFS-3G which the devs haven't updated it yet. That's not even a standard feature on real Macs lol...

[GUIDE]Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R - InsanelyMac Forum

Thanks for directing me to that tutorial - I was finally able to install SL on my GA-P35-DS3L .

USB install is the way to go - with OSInstall.mpkg method I was not having any luck -

Preparation : I created my dsdt.aml file - patched for cmos reset bug -

Here is the list of kexts that I had in my /Extra/Extensions Folder -

AHCIPortInjector.kext

AppleVIAATA.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

JMicronATA.kext

LegacyHDA.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

dsmos.kext

fakesmc.kext

Here is a snippet of my com.apple.boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1680x1050x32</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>boot-uuid=C4BD8723-7AB0-3096-B8B1-1685B4355A8D</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>3</string>

<key>EHCIacquire</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>UHCIreset</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>USBBusFix</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>MY GFX STRING HERE</string>

UUID strings here are for the USB install Partition -

I had followed the 10.6 guide for GA-EP45-DS3L and created a 1GB partition for Chameleon -

After installation - I booted into my 10.5.x partition (which is on a separate disk) - got the SL partition UUID - updated the UUIDs in com.apple.boot.plist - SMBIOS.plist and info.plist in PlatformUUID.kext - on my Chameleon volume/Extra folder -

copied dsdt.aml and smbios.plist to root partition of my Chameleon volume

I also copied dsdt.aml to my SL root folder < not sure if this is required>

reboot

Boot using Install USB - Select SL partition with -v -x32 option -

ran Kextutility to repair permissions -

reboot - this time boot through Chameleon - select SL Partition -

no KPs as yet - ( been up for 2 hours now ) -

THANK YOU DAGDU!

I followed this little guide, along with the guide linked at the beginning of this thread and I now have SL running. (almost 24 hours at this point without a KP *knock on wood*). The only thing I did different was I ONLY used the Kexts included in the Support Files folder of the linked guide (so I don't have all the kexts listed above). But so far, so good. I need to do some stress testing to see what happens.

Board: GA-P35-DS3L

Vid: nvidia 8600GT

i'm a noob too, all i can is read guides - try - in case of an error, try to find out why by reading or if i do not find something asking questions - then trying again^^ and after much reading/trying i often get a working solution...

at the moment i am "quad-booting" Windows Vista, Ubuntu 9.04, Mac OS X Leopard, Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

For your problem, just install Chameleon 2.0RC1 (bootloader), this will automaticaly search & show you every bootable partition in your PC (my Chameleon even shows me unbootable partitions - don't now why)

I don't know if you can install Chameleon without OS X, if not search for a Leopard distro (or take your, which you used last time) install it on your second harddrive (i think best will be with a GUID partitiontable) and download the Chameleon 2.0RC1 (or RC2) bootloader package, just install it on your Mac partition...

If you've done this set your Mac OS X harddrive as first bootpartition and it should load the bootloader with all your bootable partitions (Mac OS X, Win7, WinXP)..

After this you also can try to follow snow leopard guides

wow, thanks, i'm going to dl and install Chameleon now - do i need to install it onto a partition/

Do you have a boot disc iso or usb image ready for the DS3L? Care to share it? :)

I tried booting from the regular Boot-132 disc and it didn't work (bunch of errors and then a black screen).

The most likely cause is your dsdt.aml file. Make sure to get that one right and you should be good to go using any of the guides in this forum.

Hi,

I'm following the guide of the begining but I have one problem, if I set SATA to AHCI mode in bios then the boot from USB hangs up and can not do anything. If I set SATA as normal mode, then I can boot correctly from the usb and the installation starts OK, but then the system does not recognize any sata device (HDD nor DVD).

I tried to use my 10.5.8 jmicron kext but it doesn't works.

Any idea???

Thanks.

Hi,

I'm following the guide of the begining but I have one problem, if I set SATA to AHCI mode in bios then the boot from USB hangs up and can not do anything. If I set SATA as normal mode, then I can boot correctly from the usb and the installation starts OK, but then the system does not recognize any sata device (HDD nor DVD).

I tried to use my 10.5.8 jmicron kext but it doesn't works.

Any idea???

Thanks.

Did you enable USB legacy mode? (Just guessing here...)

I'm GA-P35-DS3l rev 2 owner,

what is the right version for SL I'm currently running 10.5.8 whit f7 bios version, the latest is f9.

Anyone has a DSDT file ready for this mobo with 888 audio patch, etherneth patch and cmos fix patch?

@Albertino, I'm using F7 bios. I attached my DSDT with patched ethernet, ALC888 and CMOS fix. Be forewarned that one PCI bus does not work, but unless you're using all of them, it shouldn't be too big of an issue. The microphone (red) input jack also appears not to work, but I haven't tested any of the other ALC888 audio features. They do, however, appear in the System Preferences panel as an audio option (I use USB audio so I don't have to worry about ALC888).

I made the DSDT.aml using BlackOSX's .pdf guide (the one linked to in the guide linked to in this forum). I followed every step verbatim-- so if you want to recreate it for whatever reason, those are the steps to follow.

DSDT.aml with patched Ethernet (Time Machine fix included), ALC888, and CMOS fix for Snow Leopard: DSDT.zip

Hope this helps! :)

@Albertino, I'm using F7 bios. I attached my DSDT with patched ethernet, ALC888 and CMOS fix. Be forewarned that one PCI bus does not work, but unless you're using all of them, it shouldn't be too big of an issue. The microphone (red) input jack also appears not to work, but I haven't tested any of the other ALC888 audio features. They do, however, appear in the System Preferences panel as an audio option (I use USB audio so I don't have to worry about ALC888).

I made the DSDT.aml using BlackOSX's .pdf guide (the one linked to in the guide linked to in this forum). I followed every step verbatim-- so if you want to recreate it for whatever reason, those are the steps to follow.

DSDT.aml with patched Ethernet (Time Machine fix included), ALC888, and CMOS fix for Snow Leopard: DSDT.zip

Hope this helps! :)

Tried your dsdt.... the audio shows in sys profiler and sys prefrences but does not give me sound.

Also system profiler says I have a 8600gt .........???? :( I have a 9800gt though

Did u patch the graphics in the dsdt as well??????