Finally GA-P35-DS3L REV:2.0 Success

swede420

119 posts in this topic

Did retail install following the guide on my P35C-DS3R. Everything was working fine, but now none of my DVD drives are seen! They were working OK.

I have jmicronATA in my Chameleon/Extra/Extensions but it doesn't show up in System Profiler as being loaded.

Any ideas?

Hey all-- I have quick question. Installation went well-- everything is "working"-- but I get KPs when doing things like backing up (SuperDuper! and CCC both cause KPs), or occasionally installing software. Any ideas?

I have the GA-P35-DS3L rev 2.0, of course, and I have experimented with using the JMicronATA.kext and AppleVIAATA.kext, but neither seem to make a difference.

I also read that installing a clean copy of Snow Leopard from within Snow Leopard tends to help get rid of the KPs, but when I did this I got a barage of KPs from my new Snow Leopard install. I think it's a permissions thing, since repairing permissions on the boot disk (from within the second copy of Snow Leopard) causes a KP. Weird, huh?

Tried your dsdt.... the audio shows in sys profiler and sys prefrences but does not give me sound.

Also system profiler says I have a 8600gt .........???? :dev: I have a 9800gt though

Did u patch the graphics in the dsdt as well??????

Whoops. Forgot to mention that. Yeah, as I realize now, a DSDT with patched graphics isn't any use to you unless you have my same card. Facepalm. My bad.

Good to know the audio doesn't work. I'll have to mess around with making some more DSDTs later on. Did you try making one using BlackOSX's guide? That is what I would suggest-- that way, you can customize it to fit your board.

Just want to throw in my two cents here.

I followed the original guide that the OP posted, to increasing success.

First off, the OSInstall.mpkg technique simply doesn't work that great. It will install if you deselect the printer drivers but will KP every so often on random things for both 32-bit and 64-bit. If you absolutely must use this method (I had to because I don't have a USB drive large enough), then install SL within SL again. This is easier said than done (it KP'ed when I tried to do a reinstall within snow leopard).

The solution to this is to create a small 8-10gb partition on your hard drive, named Install or something like that. Use disk utility to restore the Snow Leopard Install DVD disk image onto that partition, and then use the Chameleon bootloader that is in the OP's guide to boot from that. This will get you into a working install partition that won't KP (at least it didn't for me).

Snow Leopard will do a reinstall over the current snow leopard system, fixing all the issues. It also preserves all the users and data you may have. I didn't realize it would do this at first, so it was a nice surprise.

If you only use the OSInstall.mpkg method, you will have KPs. For some reason there are missing package receipts that break things like Disk Utility and Time machine and cause your system to KP when using them.

If you can't even boot into Snow Leopard, this is most likely a problem with permissions, your Kexts, or your DSDT file. I highly recommend you take the time to make your own DSDT, because the ones posted here either didn't work for me or made my computer noticeably sluggish.

Also, when you're making the DSDT file, don't go through all the steps of adding your graphics card, ethernet, etc into it. I'm running an 8800GT and the DSDT with graphics simply didn't work as good as EFI strings. Instead, use EFIstudio or OSX86Tools to create the strings. It's better to make these within Snow Leopard. When I used my old graphics string from Leopard, I had full resolution support, but QE/CI wasn't enabled. When I did it in Snow Leopard, everything worked great.

About permissions, Double check that your system partition, chameleon partition, and any other partitions have "Ignore ownership permission on this volume" unchecked in the Get Info panel! After I did this, things worked for me. Use Kext Utility (Google it, or find it in the OP's guide) to repair permissions and regenerate mkext cache files. This is important.

Finally, get your 32-bit install working before you get all excited about 64-bit. I've been working exclusively in 32-bit for now, just to make sure it's stable. It's all fine.

Here are the Kexts I have in my chameleon extra/extensions folder. The actual snow leopard install is completely vanilla, nothing added or removed.

fakesmc.kext
IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
LegacyHDA.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
OpenHaltRestart.kext
PlatformUUID.kext
SleepEnabler.kext

Sleep doesn't work. I have not tested the sound because I use an external Firewire audio unit. USB, Ethernet, Firewire (I use a PCI card), DVD, all work fine. Bonjour works with the ifconfig fix in the OP's guide.

In short, Snow Leopard works just as good as Leopard on this board. You just have to be more careful with the install process. Follow the OP's guide to the 't', don't use the OSinstall.mpkg unless you're willing to do a repair install over it.

Here's my specs:

Gigabyte P35-DS3L rev 2.0 BIOS F7

Q6600 stock

4GB RAM

8800GT

EDIT

Also, we're not the only ones having problems with these KPs. There is some great discussion in the original guide mainly between YoYelloW and BlackOSX about getting rid of these KPs. I highly recommend you read it. Starts at page 3 and continues to page 5 or 6.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...80954&st=40

Just want to throw in my two cents here.

I followed the original guide that the OP posted, to increasing success.

First off, the OSInstall.mpkg technique simply doesn't work that great. It will install if you deselect the printer drivers but will KP every so often on random things for both 32-bit and 64-bit. If you absolutely must use this method (I had to because I don't have a USB drive large enough), then install SL within SL again. This is easier said than done (it KP'ed when I tried to do a reinstall within snow leopard).

The solution to this is to create a small 8-10gb partition on your hard drive, named Install or something like that. Use disk utility to restore the Snow Leopard Install DVD disk image onto that partition, and then use the Chameleon bootloader that is in the OP's guide to boot from that. This will get you into a working install partition that won't KP (at least it didn't for me).

Snow Leopard will do a reinstall over the current snow leopard system, fixing all the issues. It also preserves all the users and data you may have. I didn't realize it would do this at first, so it was a nice surprise.

If you only use the OSInstall.mpkg method, you will have KPs. For some reason there are missing package receipts that break things like Disk Utility and Time machine and cause your system to KP when using them.

If you can't even boot into Snow Leopard, this is most likely a problem with permissions, your Kexts, or your DSDT file. I highly recommend you take the time to make your own DSDT, because the ones posted here either didn't work for me or made my computer noticeably sluggish.

Also, when you're making the DSDT file, don't go through all the steps of adding your graphics card, ethernet, etc into it. I'm running an 8800GT and the DSDT with graphics simply didn't work as good as EFI strings. Instead, use EFIstudio or OSX86Tools to create the strings. It's better to make these within Snow Leopard. When I used my old graphics string from Leopard, I had full resolution support, but QE/CI wasn't enabled. When I did it in Snow Leopard, everything worked great.

About permissions, Double check that your system partition, chameleon partition, and any other partitions have "Ignore ownership permission on this volume" unchecked in the Get Info panel! After I did this, things worked for me. Use Kext Utility (Google it, or find it in the OP's guide) to repair permissions and regenerate mkext cache files. This is important.

Finally, get your 32-bit install working before you get all excited about 64-bit. I've been working exclusively in 32-bit for now, just to make sure it's stable. It's all fine.

Here are the Kexts I have in my chameleon extra/extensions folder. The actual snow leopard install is completely vanilla, nothing added or removed.

fakesmc.kext
IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
LegacyHDA.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
OpenHaltRestart.kext
PlatformUUID.kext
SleepEnabler.kext

Sleep doesn't work. I have not tested the sound because I use an external Firewire audio unit. USB, Ethernet, Firewire (I use a PCI card), DVD, all work fine. Bonjour works with the ifconfig fix in the OP's guide.

In short, Snow Leopard works just as good as Leopard on this board. You just have to be more careful with the install process. Follow the OP's guide to the 't', don't use the OSinstall.mpkg unless you're willing to do a repair install over it.

Here's my specs:

Gigabyte P35-DS3L rev 2.0 BIOS F7

Q6600 stock

4GB RAM

8800GT

EDIT

Also, we're not the only ones having problems with these KPs. There is some great discussion in the original guide mainly between YoYelloW and BlackOSX about getting rid of these KPs. I highly recommend you read it. Starts at page 3 and continues to page 5 or 6.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...80954&st=40

I have sleep working just fine on the p35-ds3l following the same step.

I have sleep working just fine on the p35-ds3l following the same step.

Strange, because when I first did it, sleep worked for me too. But now it doesn't seem to work. I'll have to give it a look and see if I can fix it.

Are you aware of any BIOS settings or kexts that may alleviate the problem?

Last time I tried, it went to sleep but wouldn't ever wake up. I also don't think it made it all the way to sleep, because the fans kept spinning.

That's really weird because I must have done 5 SL installs straight from Leopard using OSInstall.mpkg and never had a single KP. Now I'm worried why i didn't get a KP ;) . I have the "family" upgrade DVD, but I can't imagine it's any different?

Wait a minute, are you talking about KP's AFTER install or during install?

That's really weird because I must have done 5 SL installs straight from Leopard using OSInstall.mpkg and never had a single KP. Now I'm worried why i didn't get a KP :D . I have the "family" upgrade DVD, but I can't imagine it's any different?

Wait a minute, are you talking about KP's AFTER install or during install?

KP's after install. Based on what's happened with my install so far, it seems that KP's happen when permissions are screwed up on your extensions or when there's an invalid Kext (i.e. one that's not suited for 64-bit trying to be loaded). I can't boot into 64-bit now, but I think it's because of the stupid printer drivers I installed, which installed kext's as well. I need to uninstall and test them.

If it works, it works. Good Job!

Hey there,

So I'm able to boot into 64bit but not 32bit. I did the dmg restore to it's own partition method that you suggested and it made no difference. Also I tried to erase that parition to restore a different dmg to it, and now it won't restore the dmg to it. ;)

Well, I'm not sure why that's happening. Perhaps your partition tables corrupted? I would verify with Disk Utility.

When doing this do I need to be in snow or will leo 10.5.6 work?

Both will work.

I also tried restoring from the dvd and that didn't work.

What happened, exactly?

Do you think there is any difference in the install using a mounted dmg rather than the retail dvd? I have both.

They should be the same. But for some reason, the mounted DMG doesn't seem to install properly for most people. What I suggested earlier was a workaround for people without 8GB+ USB keys. Just restore the DVD onto a partition and boot from that. It's essentially the same as using the USB key.

Also I would like to learn what constitutes a successful install. We all need to shed some light on this and set a guideline for verification. Here's what I mean...

If you look in your SnowLeopard root, how many folders do you see there?

Do they have icons on the folders or not?

There is a multitude of variance here as I have personally seen from the many attempts at installing this on my rig.

The fewest folders I've seen is 4 and all of those had icons on them.

Is this the magic #?

Should the folders have icons on them?

When I installed with the OSInstall.mpkg, I could boot into snow leopard, but it would KP after a bit. I could see all of the normally hidden root folders (usr, Volumes, private, etc...) and the normally visible ones (Applications, System...) had no icons. When I repaired this install by booting from the DVD (which was restored onto my HD) it fixed all of these issues.

KP's after install. Based on what's happened with my install so far, it seems that KP's happen when permissions are screwed up on your extensions or when there's an invalid Kext (i.e. one that's not suited for 64-bit trying to be loaded). I can't boot into 64-bit now, but I think it's because of the stupid printer drivers I installed, which installed kext's as well. I need to uninstall and test them.

If it works, it works. Good Job!

I missed that in your earlier post, I didn't install any print drivers, actually just a bare-bones install, maybe that's why I didn't get any KP's. The only post install KP I've had was with Photo Shop, but I've heard that's a genuine "bug" (as opposed to a hackintosh "bug" :( )

Did retail install following the guide on my P35C-DS3R. Everything was working fine, but now none of my DVD drives are seen! They were working OK.

I have jmicronATA in my Chameleon/Extra/Extensions but it doesn't show up in System Profiler as being loaded.

Any ideas?

I was able to install SL on my P35C-DS3R also, but I cannot see the IDE drive that is visible using 10.5.8. I have jmicronATA in System\Library\Extensions.

My BIOS is set at 64-bit, but I cannot see the wireless card that I use in 10.5.8, even after loading the software.

I'm reading the forum, looking for solutions.

Here's an interesting problem for you guys. I finished what I thought was a stable install of SL on my P35-DS3L last week. It ran almost all week, without any problems at all...not a single KP. This was running in 64bit mode as well, mind you. I left my desktop for the weekend, and shut it down before leaving. Upon my return this evening, I tried to boot back up and upon booting back into SL, it ran for about 2 mins before KPing. It referenced IOAHCIBlockStorage and IOStorageFamily. I cannot for the life of me figure out what changed to cause this problem. I tried various methods for fixing it, including running permission repair, AGAIN, but that had no affect. I was able to use 32bit mode, but that would also KP depending on what I was doing (just not as quickly as 64bit.) Finally, I decided to try and restore from Time Machine. I restored from a backup made the day I left (and shut the computer down) and it's now working fine again. I have shutdown and rebooted and had no troubles.

Any ideas? Maybe someone could even point me in the right direction for figuring out what causes a KP to reference those two IO's.

I was able to install SL on my P35C-DS3R also, but I cannot see the IDE drive that is visible using 10.5.8. I have jmicronATA in System\Library\Extensions.

Well, I resolved my problem with the IDE drives by re-installing jmicron from my iDeneb 10.5.7 distro.

Here's an interesting problem for you guys. I finished what I thought was a stable install of SL on my P35-DS3L last week. It ran almost all week, without any problems at all...not a single KP. This was running in 64bit mode as well, mind you. I left my desktop for the weekend, and shut it down before leaving. Upon my return this evening, I tried to boot back up and upon booting back into SL, it ran for about 2 mins before KPing. It referenced IOAHCIBlockStorage and IOStorageFamily. I cannot for the life of me figure out what changed to cause this problem. I tried various methods for fixing it, including running permission repair, AGAIN, but that had no affect. I was able to use 32bit mode, but that would also KP depending on what I was doing (just not as quickly as 64bit.) Finally, I decided to try and restore from Time Machine. I restored from a backup made the day I left (and shut the computer down) and it's now working fine again. I have shutdown and rebooted and had no troubles.

Any ideas? Maybe someone could even point me in the right direction for figuring out what causes a KP to reference those two IO's.

Hey @hockeydude--

I had some KPs with IOAHCIBlockStorage as well, and they were pretty much random. For instance, I was able to backup with Time Machine, but I couldn't use SuperDuper! to clone my drive. I was also getting rather consistent KPs during installations. It seemed that most of everything that involved writing to disk (except regular file transfers) was causing KPs. I figured it was a permissions thing (which I'm sure it partially was), but then I read the post in this thread about installing a "clean" Snow Leopard over the existing installation. I had used the "install from Leopard" method.

Anyway, long story short, I installed Snow Leopard over my existing installation from a bootable USB drive and it seemed to fix everything (so far). I am at least able to do the things that formerly caused KPs.

The other option I can recommend is to run Kext Utility after every modification of /Extra/Extensions. I didn't ever used to do that (because I figured the /Extra/Extensions folder wasn't the real extensions folder, so it wouldn't matter because the kexts were injected at boot time). But a couple postings I've read on a few different sites have suggested doing this to keep your permissions spiffy across reboots.

Did you install from Leopard? Or from a DVD/USB drive? jw

Here are a few notes that I've gathered thus far during the installation process (a couple of these have been posted in this thread already, so I'm just re-iterating. Credit goes to the original poster!):

EDIT: Here is the post that originally got me thinking about this. Definitely worth a read.

1.) If you install Snow Leopard from within an installation of Leopard, YOU ARE GOING TO GET KERNEL PANICS. They suck. Everybody hates them. So...

2.) In the guide that has been linked to in this thread, the author (BlackOSX) describes how to restore a copy of the Snow Leopard Installer DVD to a USB disk and boot from it. This is the method that I would recommend, because it does a much better job of installing Snow Leopard. Apparently, when you install from Leopard, permissions get screwed up and certain features/files don't install correctly.

I'm not sure if I was doing something wrong, but I could never get my USB image to boot from itself (that is, when I booted from my USB disk in BIOS, then booted the USB disk in Chameleon, it KP-ed right away). Weirdly enough, if I booted from my hard disk (also with Chameleon 2.0 RC1 and Snow Leopard already installed) in BIOS and THEN booted my USB drive, the installer "disc" would boot. That said, I made the following modifications to the method described by BlackOSX (below).

( a ) First, I installed Chameleon 2 RC1 on my intended Snow Leopard disk. This allowed me to boot my USB image. Weird. My /Extra folder consisted of the DSDT.aml, com.apple.Boot.plist, the Extensions folder, and the Themes folder.

( b ) After the Snow Leopard installer KP-ed a dozen or so times during attempted installations, I read here that using any kexts other than fakeSMC.kext can cause KPs during a clean installation. Sure enough, I removed all kexts but fakeSMC.kext from BOTH my hard disk /Extra/Extensions folder AND my USB installer /Extra/Extensions folder, and voila! Installation succeeded.

( c ) You should be able to boot into Snow Leopard with only fakeSMC.kext in your /Extra/Extensions folder. After you have booted your new snow kitty, add extensions one at a time into /Extra/Extensions and use Kext Utility to repair permissions before each reboot. I've noticed that I don't seem to need PlatformUUID.kext (does anybody know what its purpose is?).

( d ) If you already have a "working" copy of Snow Leopard, you can use the USB installer method to install a fresh copy of Snow Leopard over your existing copy without modifying any of your files or settings. Think of it as refreshing the operating system.

3.) I have also noticed the following "quirks" that cost me quite a bit of time. Hopefully, by listing them here, I can save someone out there some trouble. I apologize in advance for the random ordering...

( a ) You can't install Snow Leopard to a hard disk that is larger than 1TB. I don't know about 1TB drives, but my 1.5TB drive wouldn't boot after a perfect installation. There is more information on this available in the forums; I believe it is an issue with Chameleon. There is also supposedly a workaround that I haven't tried which involves adding a key/value pair to the com.apple.Boot.plist.

( b ) If you are using PlatformUUID.kext and SMBIOS.plist, make sure you change the UUIDs to match your hard drive. I stupidly skipped over that part in the guide and it cost me a night of non-booting.

( c ) A poster in this thread wrote that using EFI strings for graphics is the way to go. I have had success with both EFI strings and the DSDT.aml method; I have an NVidia GeForce 8600 GT card. I am using the DSDT.aml method right now, but I will try the EFI strings method for a more prolonged period and report on which seems to be faster.

( d ) DON'T USE MIGRATION TOOL TO MOVE APPLICATIONS FROM LEOPARD! This transfers old kexts, etc. from your Leopard installation and can make your machine unbootable. To be safe, perform clean installations of your applications. I don't know if migrating your user account will work or not because I haven't tried it.

( e ) Whenever you modify your /Extra/Extensions folder, run Kext Utility. It keeps your permissions tidy.

( f ) There is absolutely no wiggle room with permissions. After formatting and/or partitioning a drive that you wish to use with Snow Leoaprd, you MUST ensure that the "ignore ownership on this volume" checkbox is UNCHECKED. Not only will the USB installer "disc" KP during installation if the permissions aren't correct, but you will have all sorts of trouble booting from and/or using any system volume that has this checkbox checked. Note: formatting your hard disk from within the Snow Leopard install disc Disk Utility apparently isn't good enough to ensure proper permissions. So I guess the only way to make sure that the permissions are correct is to format the drive from within a working installation and make sure that the little checkbox is unchecked.

( g ) If you're using SuperDuper! or CCC to keep a bootable backup of your Snow Leopard system drive (I would really, REALLY recommend doing this-- you can use one drive as a sandbox, and if you screw something up, just boot the other one and clone it back over!), make sure that you tell Spotlight not to index your backup drive. This will keep Spotlight from displaying duplicate results for every search; it also keeps your two identical drives from talking to each other on a regular basis, which is probably a good thing. I read somewhere that you can keep Finder from automatically mounting certain drives/partitions; this might be a good idea with bootable backups. I'll do some research and post my findings.

( h ) If you're like me and you have a separate hard drive for Media (or for anything else) that will be visible to more than one installation of OS X (for example, mine is visible to my Leopard installation, my backup Leopard installation, and both Snow Leopard installations), it is probably best to CHECK the "ignore ownership on this volume" checkbox for this drive. This should keep each separate installation from fiddling with ownership rights on the disk.

( i ) If you've overclocked your rig, do yourself a favor and throttle all your settings back to stock during the installation process. No use causing KPs by pushing the overclocking envelope. Rather, eliminate overclocking as a cause of failure.

( j ) Along the same lines, remove any extraneous hardware from your machine while you're doing the installation. Some users have posted that you should unplug all your Windows drives. I would take this a step further by unplugging anything that isn't essential to standard system operation: additional PCI cards (e.g. USB, Firewire), bluetooth dongles, sound cards, etc. Again, the point is to eliminate sources of failure.

( k ) Don't add the "Graphics Mode" key to your com.apple.Boot.plist until after your initial installation. It caused my system not to boot. After everything installed, I added it back in and everything was hunky dory.

( l ) If you run the Chameleon 2 RC1 installer (for example, to install it on a second hard drive) from within Snow Leopard, it will likely "fail." Don't worry-- the installation succeeded, it just may not have added the "Themes" folder. You can just copy it over from an existing Chameleon installation.

( m ) If you get an "Installation Failed" message during your Snow Leopard installation, make sure that you unchecked all of the additional features. Installing print drivers has been known to cause the installation to fail. To be safe, install ONLY the necessary system files. You can always add the extra features alter.

( n ) Making your own DSDT.aml has a known issue that makes one of your PCI slots not function within OS X. The only way to work around this is to find out which PCI slot isn't working and not put anything in it. If I find a way to fix the DSDT.aml so it recognizes all PCI slots, I'll post it. As a side note, make sure you perform the CMOS fix on your DSDT.aml. That CMOS reset bug is real pain in the arse.

Alright, that's it. Hope that helps. Credit goes to everyone who has posted in this thread. I'm just summing things up and adding my own two cents here and there. Good luck everyone, and thank you to this incredible community!

i have a ds3l rev 2 board and i cant seem to figure out how to get it to boot off my usb

is it usb-hdd?

1. Hit F12 at boot.

2. Select Hard Disk.

3. Select USB-HDD or whatever.

A side note: I could get BIOS to boot my USB drive, but once Chameleon loaded, booting the USB image caused an immediate KP. The only workaround I found was booting from a hard disk (not the USB disk) that has Chameleon installed, and then selecting the USB disk with the image (it should appear in your Chameleon boot options).

Hope that helps.

<br />I have sleep working just fine on the p35-ds3l following the same step.<br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

Are you able to wake from sleep using USB keyboard or mouse -

For me - it only wakes up by pressing the power button on the case -

1. Hit F12 at boot.

2. Select Hard Disk.

3. Select USB-HDD or whatever.

I've never got this to work. I just installed Chameleon 2 RC1 to a USB stick and when I selected USB-HDD it just went on to boot from the HD instead. Same thing when I plugged in the USB HD containing the Snow Leopard DVD (installed Chameleon on that too).

Btw, isn't it kinda crappy that you can't select which USB device/partition you want to boot from? I love they way it works on real Macs.

Ok, so I installed Snow Leopard. It was incredibly easy, really. I got the new Chameleon 2 RC3, installed it to a USB stick, booted from that and chose the partition on my USB harddrive containing the SL DVD (first I added the files posted by wantmacosx, and the clean dsdt.aml that someone else posted). Installation ended with an error message saying the SL partition couldn't be set as the startup drive. I just rebooted (from the USB stick once again) and started Snow Leopard. No problems. Ethernet worked out of the box. Then I proceeded to install the EFI string for my gfx card, using EFIstudio. Reboot. No luck. Copied the boot.plist file to the USB drive and rebooted with arch=i386. Voila! Gfx ok. Guess the video drivers aren't 64-bit.

Now, how do I make it load the 32 bit kernel by default?

Ok, so I installed Snow Leopard. It was incredibly easy, really. I got the new Chameleon 2 RC3, installed it to a USB stick, booted from that and chose the partition on my USB harddrive containing the SL DVD (first I added the files posted by wantmacosx, and the clean dsdt.aml that someone else posted). Installation ended with an error message saying the SL partition couldn't be set as the startup drive. I just rebooted (from the USB stick once again) and started Snow Leopard. No problems. Ethernet worked out of the box. Then I proceeded to install the EFI string for my gfx card, using EFIstudio. Reboot. No luck. Copied the boot.plist file to the USB drive and rebooted with arch=i386. Voila! Gfx ok. Guess the video drivers aren't 64-bit.

Now, how do I make it load the 32 bit kernel by default?

to boot 32bit kernel by default, just add <string>-x32</string> to you com.apple.boot.plist file under "<key>Kernel Flags</key>". So it should look something like this:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-x32</string>