Bonjour Networking with Realtek drivers & ifconfig workaround for Snow Leopard

blackosx

152 posts in this topic

Hi thorias

Thanks for pointing out this ifconfig. I will have a try with it. :D

EDIT: Amazing.. This works brilliantly with the kernel in both 32bit & 64bit mode.

No need for RealtekR1000.kext on my system anymore!

Thank you so much :D

No problem!! we are all here to give us a hand on each other!!

^funny enough this is Safari's fit, try with Camino and you'll download just fine

Update:

With version 2.0.3 of the Realtek RTL8111/RTL8168 driver, multicast appears to work even when the card is not in promiscuous mode, so it appears this workaround is no longer required.

Realtek's kext confirmed working w/ Realtek 8111C (on a P5Q-EM).

Both X.5.8 / X.6.1 setups walk & talk full Bonjour.

Thanks Black Knight for spotting the new Realtek drivers.

And thanks rocksteady for showing me how to download them (I tried for ages with Safari and never thought of trying a different browser).

I will try them this evening and update the front page of this thread accordingly.

EDIT: Well after trying the new RTGMac_v2.0.3 driver on 10.6.1 with my GA-EP45-DS3L I can say it doesn't work.

For my system it works a little bit like when I tried Eliade's method for loading ifconfig via LoginHook. Now I know that worked for Eliade and it was also mentioned that it had successful reports from others too, but for my system it didn't work (or at least it worked as I described it here)

But with this Realtek driver, I don't get to see a shared iTunes library from another networked PC and that networked PC can't see my hack's shared iTunes library. My iPhone remote did connect to my hack as I had previously set it up, but if I asked the iPhone to scan to find a new iTunes library to control if wouldn't find my hack and iTunes wouldn't show my iPhone.

I had read before installing, and also by looking at the installed for the RTGMac_v2.0.3 driver, that it replaces the AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext from /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/. Therefore, I had thankfully backed up IONetworkingFamily.kext prior to installing as after uninstalling this new Realtek driver I needed to add the original IONetworkingFamily.kext back to my system and run kext utility to regain use of my network adapter.

So for now, I am going to stick with the ifconfig method.

Unfortunately none of the ifconfig methods have been working for me, they just give "ifconfig: promisc: bad value" every time they are run. I think this may be to do with the fact that I have dual ethernet, and accidentally selected the second one when constructing my DSDT following blackosx' guide. (Coincidentally, both work :S)

I'm going to try these drivers, though I doubt I'll have much luck, since my mobo is a EP45-DS3P, quite similar to blackosx'.

Edit: Everything seems to be working perfectly as far as I can see, maybe try it with the IONetworking kext blackosx, it didn't work for me without that, but did with.

So for now, I am going to stick with the ifconfig method.

Same as you on a G31M-ES2L. The RTGMac_v2.0.3 driver does not work for me. And I had to reinstall the AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext kext. So in the end: AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext + ifconfig method.

I just added the Realtek driver in to /Extra/Extensions.

Then set owner:group for my 'Cham' volume to root:wheel and fix permissions (kextcache won't work properly if this isn't done)

then run the kextcache command.

I didn't touch the IONetworking.kext as when this kextcache command runs it caches all the kexts from both /E/E and /S/L/E.

Why are you running kextcache on both? Just kextcache the /Extra/Extensions directory and leave S/L/E out of it.

Besides, the kextcache from /System/Library/caches/com.apple.kext.caches/startup/extensions.mkext will be loaded after the extensions.mkext in /Extra.

Is it the only kext you're trying to get working from E/E? If so, you need to make an Extensions.mkext including all the kexts in /S/L/E as well and put it in Extra. Then change Extra/Extensions to Extra/AdditionalExtensions or something like that. Snow Leopard doesn't correctly load kexts from E/E without being in a mkext file.

Black Knight:

Why are you including all the kexts from S/L/E?

Just kextcache the /Extra/Extensions directory and leave S/L/E out of it.

Besides, the kextcache from /System/Library/caches/com.apple.kext.caches/startup/extensions.mkext will be loaded after the extensions.mkext in /Extra.

You don't need to combine the kexts from the two directories (E/E and S/L/E) into one mkext. Let the extensions.mkext load from E/E and then let the extensions.mkext load from S/L/E.

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest everyone email Realtek and ask for a 64-bit version of their driver. They fixed Bonjour in their latest release but the driver is still 32-bit. I got a response from tech support very quickly but they told me they didn't have a 64-bit version available.

Please someone recompile a 64bit driver for this ethernet 8168

we could donate for this one!

Tipyng sudo ifconfig en0 promisc on terminal give me back a "bad value" message.

what am i missing?

Unfortunately none of the ifconfig methods have been working for me, they just give "ifconfig: promisc: bad value" every time they are run. I think this may be to do with the fact that I have dual ethernet, and accidentally selected the second one when constructing my DSDT following blackosx' guide. (Coincidentally, both work :S)

I'm going to try these drivers, though I doubt I'll have much luck, since my mobo is a EP45-DS3P, quite similar to blackosx'.

Edit: Everything seems to be working perfectly as far as I can see, maybe try it with the IONetworking kext blackosx, it didn't work for me without that, but did with.

thats because you need to:

- First, as a root user, login in terminal with 'sudo mu' (this, if you have already a root user created - password)

- them go to the folder where the ifconfig is and put this command in the terminal: './ifconfig en0 promisc'

well, I was having the same issue, them doing this steps, I had it working!

Hi there!

Would you please tell me how you were able to get your onboard 8111 NICs up and running with the native/legacy Apple8169 kext?

The only way I get my NICs to work is by using the psystar 8111 RTL1000 driver which does not work properly in 64bit mode and also has those mulitcast issues.

Thanks for your help!

Stop spreading falsehoods, you will make your head hurt. 64 bit is for servers (whom use 32gb of ram). If it is not on the $3000 MacPro, why the phook would you need it. I guarantee it, there are less then a dozen people on this forum whom have -consistently- used more then 8gb of ram on the hackintosh. 64 bit is garbage.

Let's put it this way:

a) most people I know who have built their HachMac based on an i7 use 12Gig of ram (= 2x3x2Gig)

;) most of those people have installed those 12gig so that their applications can make use of it

c) the kernel HAS TO BE in 64bit otherwise an application WILL NOT be able to address more than 32bits of ram

In plain and simple words: if you want any application to benefit from being able to use more than 4gig of RAM then you NEED the 64bit kernel. So please stop patronizing people about how "stoopid" we all are just because we want to make use of our hardware in a way it is meant to be.

Tipyng sudo ifconfig en0 promisc on terminal give me back a "bad value" message.

what am i missing?

The built-in ifconfig in OSX does not support setting PROMISC mode.

You can use "sudo tcpdump" to set the network card in promiscuous mode if you just want to test it.

Max memory that the 32 bit kernel is able to address is 64 GB. However there are some bugs I hear are occurring when memory is above 6GB on certain m/b's so it might be in some of the chipset kexts or maybe in the kernel itself.

I would suggest everyone email Realtek and ask for a 64-bit version of their driver. They fixed Bonjour in their latest release but the driver is still 32-bit. I got a response from tech support very quickly but they told me they didn't have a 64-bit version available.

I emailed them just now requesting details on a 64 bit version of the RTGMac_v2.0.3 driver. I asked if there was one available or in the works and informed them it would be liked very much in the digital community.

In the meantime, I've tried the ifconfig method, but receive 'ifconfig: promisc: bad value'. I see another forum member is having trouble too, but I'm not talented with Terminal. Any help is appreciated. I'm specifically stuck on inserting the file path, but dummyproof details would be perfect.

I emailed them just now requesting details on a 64 bit version of the RTGMac_v2.0.3 driver. I asked if there was one available or in the works and informed them it would be liked very much in the digital community.

In the meantime, I've tried the ifconfig method, but receive 'ifconfig: promisc: bad value'. I see another forum member is having trouble too, but I'm not talented with Terminal. Any help is appreciated. I'm specifically stuck on inserting the file path, but dummyproof details would be perfect.

I have sent my email request to them yesterday. Actually I decided to use the blunt approach and asking them where to download the 64bit version. :-)

So let's hope this new interest will shake things up a bit and will result in a "native" 64bit kext!

I have sent my email request to them yesterday. Actually I decided to use the blunt approach and asking them where to download the 64bit version. :-)

So let's hope this new interest will shake things up a bit and will result in a "native" 64bit kext!

Yeah, hopefully! I got a response, and in broken English, I've recieved an offer to be sent the kext when first available.

Everyone else, send an email! Let's get that ball rolling over there in Realtek land!

So I haven't been lucky getting bonjour to work by specifying where ifconfig is and typing en0 ag,.kwhgoasuihg.w I do know that it is port en0, but terminal returns bad value.

I have bonjour functionality with the use of tcpdump and have been able to find, nstall and use my airport extreme connected printer. I don't know yet if I'll have to redo the tcpdump and close terminal window at every login, but it's better than not printing or sharing music at all.

Could you help me to get ifconfig working?

Oh, I just got a notification that the RealtekR1000.kext could not be used... I thought I'd uninstalled it. I'll dig for it again.