10.5.8 deep sleep problem?

bolly

274 posts in this topic

just reinstall 10.5.8 update and you can get the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

@ rents

Or download the combo and extract it with pacifist

Thanks bolly and Mac_Dude.

I just reinstalled the 10.5.8 update to get back the kext and left it in S/L/E, removed Disabler.kext, created new Dsdt with HPET thing, rebooted and the system didn't started - kernel panic caused by AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. Removed it under Windows using Macdrive and everything came back from where I started - no sleep.

However, after 2 hours and nearly million restarts, I'm leaving it as it is.

I'll be looking at the thread for further testing, just not today.

Thanks bolly and Mac_Dude.

I just reinstalled the 10.5.8 update to get back the kext and left it in S/L/E, removed Disabler.kext, created new Dsdt with HPET thing, rebooted and the system didn't started - kernel panic caused by AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. Removed it under Windows using Macdrive and everything came back from where I started - no sleep.

However, after 2 hours and nearly million restarts, I'm leaving it as it is.

I'll be looking at the thread for further testing, just not today.

Did u put your dsdt in the root? does not work if your put it in the extra folder.

Someone in this thread said that he was using VoodooPower.kext to do the speedstepping while still running AppleIntelCPUblabla.kext.

EDIT.. yep that works for me too.

Current configuration that makes S3 sleep/shutdown/restart/speedstepping work on 10.5.8

Chameleon 2.0 RC2 with smbios.plist spoofing an iMac9,1 (no additional hardware config switches in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist)

netkas' fakesmc.kext

superhai's voodoopower.kext (this fixes shutdown and speedstepping works, verified by running a Playstation emulator in Parallels/Win XP on secondary monitor and doing sysctl -a | grep freq several times)

Krazubu's nvenabler.kext (this fixes S3 sleep, it doesn't work when using other injectors or Device Properties string)

Setting standby mode to S3 in the BIOS (default is auto)

Enabling CSTATE-tech in the BIOS (default is disabled)

Patched DSDT with RTC, HPET, CPU aliases, DGTP, local0, WAK and 88E8056 LAN internal fix and all compiling errors fixed

BIOS is not patched

No disabler.kext, no OpenHaltRestart.kext, all vanilla kernel, USB, ACPI/APIC, AppleHPET, AppleRTC, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

VoodooPower (or that slim MiniPower) maybe an solution. But for me its not the way. VP makes may system instable and i cant get it fixed. I have to disable lowest P-State (0=most GHZ) in the plist. Also, even the slim Minipower (intel only, same dev) takes own cpu cycles to compute his work.

My C2D is running (without VoodooPower, without AppleIntel..) really cool in less-mid %CPU usage - prefect.

I will stay without AppleIntelCPU... (and so without sleep) until an other way is possible.

sleep doesnt work in 10.5.8..but its fine in previous versions..post solution if there any..tnx

All I had to do was delete the IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext and done...sleep is working again

Did u put your dsdt in the root? does not work if your put it in the extra folder.

I have file called dsdt.aml in the root directory (/) of the Leopard startup HDD. I had it before the new HPET dsdt. I didn't put it myself, I thought the DSDT Patcher GUI would do that for me? No "Save in Folder" option when I was creating it, I only pointed my Mac HDD.

Do you think it is still the old one, and I should move the new one from a different location to root directory?

Edit: After trying everything shown in above posts, I moved to the final step - backed up the 10.5.8 Kernel, and restored the one from 10.5.7 using OSX86Tools. Sleep now works as before. I'm not quite sure if the old one will make any problems, it seems fast and reliable for the past 10 minutes ;)

What do you guys think better choice - using the new kernel without sleep (and waiting for other fix) or having an old one with system 100% functioning?

Someone in this thread said that he was using VoodooPower.kext to do the speedstepping while still running AppleIntelCPUblabla.kext.

That wasn't me, but I can confirm voodoopower works alongside AppleIntelCPblahblah, at least on my G-ep45-ds3l with a quad q6600.

In 10.5.7 cpu core 1 appeared to idle at ~50C

In 10.5.8 it idled at ~68C

In 10.5.8 with voodoopower it idles at ~60C

So it definitely makes a difference. although it doesn't drop to 10.5.7 levels (which I presume was just mobo based throttling?).

FYI under load it's ~68C in all those cases.

ill just make this a bit clearer.

10.5.8 + AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext loading will give you sleep but higher temp than usual

10.5.8 + AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext deleted or via disabler.kext or IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext will give a normal temp but no sleep.

so choose your poison :)

BTW i can confirm that using the older 9.7.0 kernel (from 10.5.7) will give sleep even using disabler. Still waiting for a better solution though but this is good enough for now. What i dont like is the sleep taking almost a minute for all the fans and leds to turn off unlike before it's just a few seconds :(

Guest ѕиоѡ

hmmm I will wait with updating until there is a proper solution.

I do get the feeling with each update we have less but more serious issues.

Everybody must choose if want no sleep but much less CPU temp or sleep mode available with higher CPU temp= more power consumption by enabling AppleIntelCPU.

I chose first, because its better for my usage. I dont use sleep often and shut down it if needed.

I just replaced the Mach Kernel down to 9.7 and I didn't have to make that choice. I'm back where I was under 10.5.7 - that is, manual sleep works, but automatic doesn't.

My temps remain in the 30 - 38 C range for normal performance.

Guest ѕиоѡ

- Did the update via Software-Update and left PC to install, came back and was already booted into 10.5.8 (I dont have dsmos installed and use Disabler kext)

- Checked sleep and did not work

- Installed old (10.5.7) kernel and sleep worked again

- Audio (Audigy 2 ZS) / Video / Network all working (have to check Time Machine)

1 question lads: What disadvantage is there by using an old kernel?

Thx

Hhhmm - disadvantage of using an old kernel - i dont know.

Sure not get some kernel bugs fixed, perhaps not get some performance enhancements, perhaps get some unknown problems.

But i would never do that for such an not really needed thing like sleep mode !

For fix KP´s or other major problems - is OK using an old kernel.

But for sleep mode - i would not do that.

Guest ѕиоѡ

I constantly use sleep with my hack so its a MAJOR issue for me m8

Why use shutdown? ram refreshment, first 5 mins maybe, then its back to before shutdownn state so might as well use sleep where everything is still loaded.

But thats only my point of view.

I tried everything suggested here, even playing around with pmset: no way, my system goes into sleep and does not wake up again. Tried also hibernate, same results.

I'm running a retail install using bootthing 2.2 bootloader on a P5KPL/1600 mobo,

QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2400 MHz, nVidia GeForce 9500 1G vram. Everything always worked like a charm (and beside sleep still does).

After 10.5.8 update the system runs tangibly smoother, so i stay sticked with it (but missing sleep mode very much).

Looking forward for a solution.

Edit: i suggest not to play around with older kernels on a newer distro; choose either the 10.5.7 or 10.5.8 setup and do not mess up things.

Update. Got everything working. I had to create a dsdt.aml file using fassi's DSDT Patcher. You can get that here: DSDT Patcher

I had to use the new HPET option to get a dsdt.aml that would work and allow my system to boot. Once the dsdt.aml was ceated, I just put it in the root directory of my EFI partition and it worked. Also removed the disabler from my EFI partition Extensions directory.

A word of caution. If you have an EFI partition, DO NOT install the bootloader that comes with the DSDT patcher. Doing so will hose your system (but you can recover from it). Also, I wouldn't have the patcher apply the patch. Do it yourself.

Thanks for all the help here. This is a great community & a great web site.

I tried everything suggested here, even playing around with pmset: no way, my system goes into sleep and does not wake up again. Tried also hibernate, same results.

I'm running a retail install using bootthing 2.2 bootloader on a P5KPL/1600 mobo,

QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2400 MHz, nVidia GeForce 9500 1G vram. Everything always worked like a charm (and beside sleep still does).

After 10.5.8 update the system runs tangibly smoother, so i stay sticked with it (but missing sleep mode very much).

Looking forward for a solution.

Edit: i suggest not to play around with older kernels on a newer distro; choose either the 10.5.7 or 10.5.8 setup and do not mess up things.

Maybe it could help : i can sleep (quick and safe) but not deep.

I'm using kernel 9.8.0 (10.5.8) from last update.

To retrieve sleep, i need to :

- delete disabler.kext from /Extra

- delete IntelCPUMDisabler from /Extra

- use gfx strings for my GFX cards (HD 4870)

- use chameleon 2,0rc1 (rc2 breaks desktop)

- use a DSDT.aml generated with 'force HPET' option

Actually, my kexts from /Extra are :

AppleDecrypt.kext

LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext

Darwinx86-ADI1988b-Injector.kext (sound for P5K-E Wifi/AP)

OpenHaltRestart.kext

LegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext

VoodooUSBEHCI.kext

My options in com.apple.coot.plist :

../..

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1920x1200x32</string>

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(0,4)</string>

<key>Theme</key>

<string>Default</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<key>ForceWake</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>device-properties</key>

../..

Maybe, deep can run after removal of OpenHaltRestart.... have to try (i'm tired to reboot since 10.5.8 update ;-))

Gook luck :gun:

Update. Got everything working. I had to create a dsdt.aml file using fassi's DSDT Patcher. You can get that here: DSDT Patcher

I had to use the new HPET option to get a dsdt.aml that would work and allow my system to boot. Once the dsdt.aml was ceated, I just put it in the root directory of my EFI partition and it worked. Also removed the disabler from my EFI partition Extensions directory.

A word of caution. If you have an EFI partition, DO NOT install the bootloader that comes with the DSDT patcher. Doing so will hose your system (but you can recover from it). Also, I wouldn't have the patcher apply the patch. Do it yourself.

Thanks for all the help here. This is a great community & a great web site.

What exactz do you mean ?

Sleep without that temp rising AppleIntelCPU.kext ?

Or onyl with that "problem" of higher cpu temp ?

Higher CPU temp wouldnt be really an "everything working".

sleep doesnt work in 10.5.8..but its fine in previous versions..post solution if there any..tnx

Don't you try to measure cpu temperature on xp or vista?

well i do....it's true with a IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext cpu was below 10ºc but, guess what... on my computer got the same cpu temperature on xp idle and leo 10.5.8 so i guess is not to much for been worried, by the way my macbook cpu is hotter....and the same between 10.5.7 and 10.5.8 allways close to 35ºc to maximun 50ºc

@ Thierus

Nice idea kexloading / unloading the Disabler.kext on wake/sleep. I'll do just that, i have used sleepwatcher anyway.

EDIT: Loading/Unloading the Disabler doesn't disable AppleIntelCPUPowermanagment.kext once it has been loaded, so temps stay up high. The Apple kext can not be kextunloaded once it is active :D

Is there a way to unload the AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext by force?

@ Thierus

Nice idea kexloading / unloading the Disabler.kext on wake/sleep. I'll do just that, i have used sleepwatcher anyway.

EDIT: Loading/Unloading the Disabler doesn't disable AppleIntelCPUPowermanagment.kext once it has been loaded, so temps stay up high. The Apple kext can not be kextunloaded once it is active :)

Is there a way to unload the AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext by force?

Yeah Disabler.kext cannot be unloaded/loaded, I already tried that, and that's why your have to install IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext. This one can be loaded/unloaded, so it will kill AppleIntelCPUPowermanagment when loaded :)