[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

leppy700m

1,332 posts in this topic

Hi All, I've been trying to get the installation onto my Dell D420, but due to the fact that its a centrino process (its an older D420, came out somewhere in 2006), I've been trying to boot the computer with leppy's cd, but everytime i swap it with my snow leopard disk, it says "cant find mach_kernel" .. I've already done a search in this thread, and it keeps saying to press F5, but everytime I do that, after 2 or 3 presses, I get a "memoery allocation error (0x4382bf0 , 0x0) error (the 0x0 changes from time to time though) ...

does anyone have any idea which bootloader i can use to boot this up so i can finally install 10.6 (and hopefully update to at least 10.6.2 or 10.6.3?)

any help would be appreciated.

specs of my machine are:

Intel centrino process (think its 1.3ghz or 1.4ghz)

1gb ram

80gig hdd

intel gma950

thanks!

Hi,

Shoot a mail to d430 @ r2x2.com - its a mail listing for People with D420/D430 who is running osx.. i'm a member, and i think we are like 10-15 people on it allready... i'm sure somebody there have a answer...

//Leon

Hi All, I've been trying to get the installation onto my Dell D420, but due to the fact that its a centrino process (its an older D420, came out somewhere in 2006), I've been trying to boot the computer with leppy's cd, but everytime i swap it with my snow leopard disk, it says "cant find mach_kernel" .. I've already done a search in this thread, and it keeps saying to press F5, but everytime I do that, after 2 or 3 presses, I get a "memoery allocation error (0x4382bf0 , 0x0) error (the 0x0 changes from time to time though) ...

does anyone have any idea which bootloader i can use to boot this up so i can finally install 10.6 (and hopefully update to at least 10.6.2 or 10.6.3?)

specs of my machine are:

1gb ram

80gig hdd

intel gma950

thanks!

Hi,

What you need todo is:

1. Get a 10.6 dmg/iso and stick it on a usb pen (you will need an 8gb or bigger)

2. Boot from the cd with the USB connected

3. Install, and update _ONLY_ to 10.6.2

4. Head over here: http://www.maleo.se/users/lsb/weblog/db44a...e_overview.html

There is a couple of guides that will help you further ... notice that there is a SPECIAL /extra package that you need afterwards...

http://www.maleo.se/users/lsb/weblog/47b8e..._smoooooth.html

I'm using a D430, 1,33 ghz right now running osx 10.6.4, runs like a dream... and i think i'v sold atleast 10+ of d420/d430 with OSX to friends and family.. its one awesome machine :thumbsup_anim:

//Leon

specs of my machine are:

1gb ram

80gig hdd

intel gma950

thanks!

I have 10.6.4 working on a D620.

Has anyone found a solution to making sleep work? Failing that, is there a way to disable the lid close sensor, so that it doesn't shut off the display when its closed?

Also any info on scrolling with the mouse pad?

Hi Valkin

Thanks for the reply. Tried your method, but couldnt boot off the usb. I restored the dmg to the drive via disk utility from another mac, and then boot up the cd ... however, the usb drive cant be found in the chameleon menu (however, from a mac, i can run the installation itself, so the usb flash drive works) ... do you use D620SLV1 to boot the usb/retail dvd?for the life of me i cant do it. however, if i run iatkos, im able to install 10.5.6 with ease ... so i'm really confused as to what exactly im doing wrong here ...

thanks for the help again,

Hi,

What you need todo is:

1. Get a 10.6 dmg/iso and stick it on a usb pen (you will need an 8gb or bigger)

2. Boot from the cd with the USB connected

3. Install, and update _ONLY_ to 10.6.2

4. Head over here: http://www.maleo.se/users/lsb/weblog/db44a...e_overview.html

There is a couple of guides that will help you further ... notice that there is a SPECIAL /extra package that you need afterwards...

http://www.maleo.se/users/lsb/weblog/47b8e..._smoooooth.html

I'm using a D430, 1,33 ghz right now running osx 10.6.4, runs like a dream... and i think i'v sold atleast 10+ of d420/d430 with OSX to friends and family.. its one awesome machine :wacko:

//Leon

so im new... but i have a latitude d620 and have installed mac os 10.6 but when i go to the boot disk and click on the .cmd to enable the it boot to the hard drive it asks for a password but i cant write??? weird... then if i take out the disk for reboot mac os will say i need to reboot and it will never get back in... great.. and then when i try to install windows 7 back or onto the double partition i get boot mgr not found.. im screwed... any help?

forgive my newness

THANKS!

Seems to be wierd.

What i think think is happening is that the harddrive needs it's permissions to be reset. So follow these directions and you should do swell.

Do all the steps and get to the SL install screen. (since you've installed it already for noobs reading this go to page 1)

Sorry beforehand if I'm wrong, but go to untilities>disk utility> then select your drive and fix permissions. That should do it...

Hope that helps.

Hi Valkin

Thanks for the reply. Tried your method, but couldnt boot off the usb. I restored the dmg to the drive via disk utility from another mac, and then boot up the cd ... however, the usb drive cant be found in the chameleon menu (however, from a mac, i can run the installation itself, so the usb flash drive works) ... do you use D620SLV1 to boot the usb/retail dvd?for the life of me i cant do it. however, if i run iatkos, im able to install 10.5.6 with ease ... so i'm really confused as to what exactly im doing wrong here ...

hmmm. I believe the problem is using the boot CD try using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]'s CD

Check out this link

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ibo...c-os-x-on.htmly

scroll down to [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] types and pick whichever one works for you.

dear kkdart

thanks for the explaination. i tried the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] cd last night as well (used the supported [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], since i have an intel gma950), however it was the same result .. i couldnt boot the dvd drive or the usb ... and the usb doesnt show up in chameleon / boot disk ... but it works when i access it from a mac ...

however, while doing some research i realize the dvd driver has to be set in ahci mode. i dont have such a feature for my d420 ... my dvd drive is built in to the docking station, and i havent seen any sata/ahci options in any of the bios options (and believe me i've checked) ... so does this mean it will be impossible to install the retail dvd (even though i can successfully boot/install ipc 10.5.6?)

cheers

Hi,

If you just hang in there, the D4xOSX group that i have founded is working on a USB image that will combine the installation media + our optimized iso, all in one image.

If you are not allready a member, shoot a mail do d430@r2x2.com

//Leon

Hi Valkin

Dear Leon

Thanks for the help ... have sent an email to the address. In the meantime however, i'm still wondering about why my bios doesnt list the ahci option etc ... more of a gaining more knowledge thing i guess, while i wait for the usb image to be ready.

cheers:)

For the D620 Bios this is not show and cannot be found as well so it may have to do with that but I can install it...

The chameleon boot loader (I think) doesn't support docked DVD drives.

alright ... finally found the solution thanks to Valkin (aka Leon) ... kudos to him finding this out ..

for the original D420 latitudes, they come with a Solo Processor U1300 which does not support x64, hence no support for snow leopard ... ('ve been able to run leopard on it without a hitch pretty much). just thought id put this out there in case anyone else came across a similar setup and spent tons of hours trying to figure it out!

alright ... finally found the solution thanks to Valkin (aka Leon) ... kudos to him finding this out ..

for the original D420 latitudes, they come with a Solo Processor U1300 which does not support x64, hence no support for snow leopard ... ('ve been able to run leopard on it without a hitch pretty much). just thought id put this out there in case anyone else came across a similar setup and spent tons of hours trying to figure it out!

By default snow leopard runs only in 32 bit mode unless it detects drivers. Based on my understanding you are saying that you need a 64 bit processor to run it, no just 64 bit drivers for everything. This is a bit confusing considering that their are no supported drivers for 64 bit (as in everything is 64 bit) for my model. :)

Couple of questions for you D430 owners.

Is sleep working?

Is touchpad scrolling working? I did get scrolling to work somewhat but it often gave kernal panics and slowed the pointer quite a bit.

Those are the two issues I had with it. Everything else was working fine but it's hard to manage with those two issues.

Got a hopefully simple question, I want to upgrade my d620 dual boot osx/win7 (from this thread) drive to a bigger drive as mine is way too small. What do I need to do to not lose any data? Osx is first partition and win7 is second.

My thoughts were to format and partition new drive then somehow ghost or copy over files but I am sure it's not that easy.

Any help is appreciated.

Hi guys! I want to say thank you very much for D620SLv1.iso!

It contain kexts that make my GMA 950 fully work! All resolutions!!! Without DSDT!!!

e73y57TK70.png

But I have 3 questions:

1. I set BIOS to quiet mode. With Leo all works fine, but SL always reset BIOS settings to defaults after each reboot. How can I fix it?

2. I use 3G USB modem (Huawei E150). When I boot with CD - internet works fine. However, when I boot without CD (I've install Chameleon + Extra with post-install.command on CD) - I have connection, but hasn't no internet!

3. Exist any works driver for my ALC268 for SL, besides VoodooHDA? Without noises after sleep, with autodetect headset and with works mic? The kexts inside D620SLv1 makes noise after sleep and mic not work (((

Thankyou!

Hi guys! I want to say thank you very much for D620SLv1.iso!

It contain kexts that make my GMA 950 fully work! All resolutions!!! Without DSDT!!!

e73y57TK70.png

But I have 3 questions:

1. I set BIOS to quiet mode. With Leo all works fine, but SL always reset BIOS settings to defaults after each reboot. How can I fix it?

2. I use 3G USB modem (Huawei E150). When I boot with CD - internet works fine. However, when I boot without CD (I've install Chameleon + Extra with post-install.command on CD) - I have connection, but hasn't no internet!

3. Exist any works driver for my ALC268 for SL, besides VoodooHDA? Without noises after sleep, with autodetect headset and with works mic? The kexts inside D620SLv1 makes noise after sleep and mic not work (((

Thankyou!

Explain how intel gma works unless you are on version 10.6.3. ethernet should work if you place the ethernet kext in system> library >extentions

Explain how intel gma works unless you are on version 10.6.3.

Suchwise I can safely upgrade 10.6 to 10.6.3, but not higher?

Just yesterday downloaded the 10.6.4 combo ... - Will have to defer it? :)

I updated straight to cpmbo update 10.6.4, and immediately lost WiFi, but got it back using asistance from a post a few months back. I don't have accelerated video now (DVD Player and VLC can't run DVD's). If anyone has something, please let me know. Overall, I couldn't be happier, but this would make it perfection! Thanks to all of you.

Well, I got that sorted (awhile ago). Turns out the couple of kexts need to be saved from the original 10.6.0 installation, then you can upgrade straight to 10.6.4 and have WiFi and accelerated video. No muss, not fuss. If anyone has a fix for the sleep stuff, or, a problem I have where when I leave a DVD (movie) in after a restart, and the OS won't eject it, or allow me to shutdown. Please drop me a line at makehillflat at yahoo dot com. I'm a member of too many forums to be a regular of any.

Cheers

Dave

Suchwise I can safely upgrade 10.6 to 10.6.3, but not higher?

Just yesterday downloaded the 10.6.4 combo ... - Will have to defer it? ;)

Technically ya but you will lose graphic support ... :( QE and such. This is why this guide needs a 10.6.0 Disk...

But try my video efi string on leopard and save the file then upgrade and find out if it works. It should cuz it does on a D820 but I don't have the time to try it out anymore.

HI,

i have a dell d620 with nvidia graphics, can someone help me in patching my bios(A08 version) with a custom DSDT in order to make it more OSX like?

I have 10.6.4 working on a D620.

Has anyone found a solution to making sleep work? Failing that, is there a way to disable the lid close sensor, so that it doesn't shut off the display when its closed?

Also any info on scrolling with the mouse pad?

Not sure what graphics card you have but if by any chance you have Nvidia then try with the DSDT from the second post of this thread and you will get the lid sleep working.

Hey, I'm probably an idiot, but here's my issue. I would love to run after effects but it's telling me it has to be run under a 64bit os. I have 64 bit extensions, but it's not showing a 64bit kernel. Is it even possible to have a 64bit os using a D620? How can I make it happen?