borisbadenov ATI X1000-series Solution

RobNyc

1,381 posts in this topic

MacBlac and Quietglow - maybe our problem is that we're all running 10.4.6, whereas boris is running 10.4.5 (as can be seen from his screenshot).

i'm going to reinstall myzar's 10.4.4/10.4.5 DVD and retry this, as we all appear to have the same behaviour, and we all seem to be running 10.4.6 (mine's a JaS install - anyone else?)

will post my findings. if im right, then i think i'll just do the 10.4.6 update manually using quixos method - seems to be the safest.

i think the problem comes from the fact ATINDRV seek for a string named "X1600" and it doesnt work so on X1800 and 9XXX

maybe using IDA on the main ATINDRV file into the kext can help ... i'll try tommorrow but i dont have IDA

Btw ATINDRV may possibly needs of X1000.kext but it doenst only need that else it would work on X1800 eheh

Yep, the exact one indeed. Works like a charm

Sweet!!! Just ordered the last one PageComputers had in stock for $105.80 and that is the cheapest price I was able to find it for online. Thanks borisbadenov. Now all I need to do is wait for it to arrive and then follow your step by step procedure to get it setup correctly.

Thanks again.

Can someone who has this working copy the output of "kextstat | grep ATI".

If I try "sudo kextload -t ATINDRV.kext" with either the 10.4.4, 4.5, or 4.6 versions, I get this error:

kernel extension ATINDRV.kext has problems:

Validation failures

{

"Kext has a kernel dependency prior to version 6.0 and CFBundleVersion does not match executable's MODULE_VERSION" = true

"Kext has a kernel dependency prior to version 6.0 and CFBundleIdentifier does not match executable's MODULE_NAME" = true

}

Now, I can edit Info.plist to resolve these errors, but those edits aren't in Boris' initial steps. I don't understand how ATINDRV is actually doing anything if its failing to load.

For those that have gotten this to work, what happens if you don't do the ATINDRV changes?

Thanks

op

Sweet!!! Just ordered the last one PageComputers had in stock for $105.80 and that is the cheapest price I was able to find it for online. Thanks borisbadenov. Now all I need to do is wait for it to arrive and then follow your step by step procedure to get it setup correctly.

Thanks again.

Hey, glad to help. And as an update, same pocedure on 10.4.6 works as well. View the screenshot.post-14928-1147994760_thumb.png post-14928-1147994760_thumb.png

update on the 10.4.4/10.4.5 theory. i just copied the 10.4.4 ATINDRV and X1000 kexts to my Jas 10.4.6 fresh install (as installed, except with IOPCIFamily from 10.4.3 installed to fix autologin and twirl), did boris' changes and booted up. i got a weird corrupt screen with loads of blocks of colour, but it was definitely running (ie there was a discernible block at the bottom which behaved like the dock, and blocks at the top for menus etc).

boris got back to me to say he's *upgraded* his installation "with the 10.4.6 Jas patch", and everything still works fine. however, due to my above experiences, im still working on the theory that this will NOT work on a fresh 10.4.6 Jas install.

gonna take me a little while to copy the 10.4.4/5 dvd iso off my fileserver ({censored} wireless connection only) but once its copied and burnt and installed i'll try again.

Interesting, kseelbo got it going under 10.4.5, I have 10.4.6 Jas here as well and it does not.

If this proves to be a workaround I'll try 10.4.5 as well, although I'm very curious what the difference between the two is regarding the X1000.

Can someone who has this working copy the output of "kextstat | grep ATI".

If I try "sudo kextload -t ATINDRV.kext" with either the 10.4.4, 4.5, or 4.6 versions, I get this error:

kernel extension ATINDRV.kext has problems:

Validation failures

{

"Kext has a kernel dependency prior to version 6.0 and CFBundleVersion does not match executable's MODULE_VERSION" = true

"Kext has a kernel dependency prior to version 6.0 and CFBundleIdentifier does not match executable's MODULE_NAME" = true

}

Now, I can edit Info.plist to resolve these errors, but those edits aren't in Boris' initial steps. I don't understand how ATINDRV is actually doing anything if its failing to load.

For those that have gotten this to work, what happens if you don't do the ATINDRV changes?

Thanks

op

Hey, how did you fix this? I have the same issue, and I'd like to try this solution to see if it might work on my video card.

update on the 10.4.4/10.4.5 theory. i just copied the 10.4.4 ATINDRV and X1000 kexts, did boris' changes and booted up. i got a weird corrupt screen with loads of blocks of colour, but it was definitely running (ie there was a discernible block at the bottom which behaved like the dock, and blocks at the top for menus etc).

boris got back to me to say he's *upgraded* his installation "with the 10.4.6 Jas patch", and everything still works fine. however, due to my above experiences, im still working on the theory that this will NOT work on a fresh 10.4.6 Jas install.

gonna take me a little while to copy the 10.4.4/5 dvd iso off my fileserver ({censored} wireless connection only) but once its copied and burnt and installed i'll try again.

Yes, Munky, you are correct that I am running my 10.4.6 from the Jas patch from an installed 10.4.5 from Myzar. I tried the direct Jas 10.4.6 DVD but it would not recognise my sata drive. But I did look at the ati kexts and they looked the same but I cannot confirm 100% without trying. Good luck

hi boris - thanks for the info. even if the ATI kexts are the same, there are a lot of supporting kexts (IOPCIFamily and the frameworks etc) which could make a big difference.

i'm keeping my fingers crossed that installing the myzar disk will solve the problem. otherwise... well.. does anyone want to buy a nearly-new X1800XL PCI-E? :guitar:

hi boris, thanks for the update. is that a fresh JaS 10.4.6 or did you *upgrade* your 10.4.5 ?

Wig, buy me a nice LCD display and I will be very happy to test it out for you, LOL

Munky, as I just wrote, I upgraded my existing 10.4.5 because I could not get the Jas10..6 to boot off my sata drive.

lol yeah boris, sorry i posted that before your reply came in. as you can see i've edited my post. :guitar:

goddamn why does copying DVD images over 802.11g take so LOOOONG? :guitar:

I know it is kinda offtopic, but to implement 10.4.6 is better to install 10.4.5 from Myzar and then use the Jas Patch?

Early when 10.4.3 was cracked i had problems with Myzar release and since then I always use the JaS patched ones. So It could be time for a change.

May I find it in the Bay of Pirates? :guitar:

I know it is kinda offtopic, but to implement 10.4.6 is better to install 10.4.5 from Myzar and then use the Jas Patch?

Early when 10.4.3 was cracked i had problems with Myzar release and since then I always use the JaS patched ones. So It could be time for a change.

May I find it in the Bay of Pirates? :guitar:

Wig, I'll send you the address for my nice 30" wide screen LCD display LMAO

Munky, lol

Asapreta, The only reason I used this version of 10.4.5 was that is the one I could get at the time. I tried to use Jas 10.4.6 but it would not boot off my sata drive and I was too tired to play around wih too many things. but the update patch worked eaier. Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it

Well, I tried what I suggested earlier for ATIRadeon9700.kext based cards, and it didn't work. Nothing changed. I tried the way boris did it, and I get a black screen with white barcode like lines.

/Still trying

can anyone who has boris's solution working under a JaS 10.4.6 install (that is, installed from scratch using JaS 10.4.6 DVD) please make themselves known?

alternatively, could those who do have it working confirm they are on 10.4.4, 10.4.5 or 10.4.6 upgraded from one of the older versions (ie not a fresh JaS install) ?

EDIT: I dont {censored} beleive this. I just sat and watched that ISO copy over my wlan FOR AN HOUR, and when it completed, it... vanished. Its just... gone. {censored} it, too late, off to bed. {censored}.

This just in! This method works and provides a fully supported graphics card on my x1600 Pro AGP. Best $100 I've ever spent!

my device ID is the same as boris' and it is the 256MB version made by Sapphire.

I am running JaS 10.4.6 as well...

:happymac:

Nooooooooooooo! Well, that's ok, I didn't feel like a re-install anyhow :happymac:

For some reason I can't get it to load the X1000.kext with out a black screen with a strip of color at the top at boot after replacing the modified files with the originals... I had QE+CI before, but still never 1680x1050, now I have neither, but I do get 1400x1050 still from the boot.plist, weird... Keep us posted.

Something strange is going on with the X1800s (Sapphire here also)