Graphics Cards with HDMI carrying Audio in OSx86?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

FKA

FKA

are we there yet?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts
Top work hari :)

hari om

hari om

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Top work hari :D

Still learning here -- learned a lot from these forums.

FKA

FKA

are we there yet?

• Members
  • 1,626 posts

Still learning here -- learned a lot from these forums.

me too ;)

defecta

defecta

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

It was broken in 10.6.2 but fixed in 10.6.3. I'm using that now and it works.
I was using a zotac 9400GT with DVI earlier. I had connected 2pin spdif from mobo to the 2pin connector on my zotac 9400GT. Then used a $5 DVI-I (24+5 pin -- thats the main key) to HDMI adapter.
In 10.6.2, this setup WILL NOT give me audio over the DVI-I/HDMI adapter. But it WAS giving me audio in windows XP. So I just used a spdif 2pin to RCA adapter and was feeding audio via the spdif digital coax cable to my pio elite and DVI-HDMI cable for the video.

Come 10.6.3 and I read on this (or somewhere else) that the audio over HDMI has been fixed. I upgraded to 10.6.3 (retail install) and tried the DVI-I (24+5) to HDMI cable and viola (using the 2pin spdif to the 2pin 9400GT connector) !! I had AUDIO and VIDEO over the HDMI cable !

Now I have upgraded to MSI 9500GT which has HDMI connector. This avoids the DVI-I (24+5) to HDMI adapter. Inside still remains same, 2pin spdif to 2pin spdif connector on the video card.

So, yes, 10.6.3 has audio+video over DVI-I(24+5) to HDMI OR straight thru HDMI support.

BTW, I have two DVI-I (24+5) to HDMI connectors. I bought one and since no sound was coming over HDMI, I bought another one. Only later I tried windows xp, and both were working. Then I realized that 10.6.2 must be busted.

So, up for sale, two working DVI-I (24+5) to HDMI.

Notice I keep repeating "DVI-I (24+5)" -- thats the key when looking for a connector which will send audio over DVI. Ignore what every one else says that DVI can't send audio.

This link gave me confidence to buy the DVI-I (24+5) to HDMI adapter.

http://www.amazon.co...#R1RMFCSSAWYPGE

I think I have repeated it enough times to convince people that it does work in 10.6.3 :P

Hmm. I have had the same experiences with Windows and the SPDIF passthrough as you guys (works totally fine) but I have to say I have never had it working in OS X. It might pay to have another look at my install.

In the mean time I bit the bullet and bought an optical cable as with my current home theatre setup I cant get anything other than stereo sound out of HDMI. My HDMI cable is connecting directly to my Samsung LCD as I don't have an HDMI amp. My TV down-mixes all HDMI audio to stereo before passing it out to my amp via the optical out. Can you believe that {censored}! Its a really common thing for TVs to do too. :( Pissed me off royally. More expensive panels that weren't in my price range don't do it. Sony for example. *sigh*

It would be great if someone can isolate the code difference that is now preventing the HDMI passthrough from working for you guys.

FKA

FKA

are we there yet?

• Members
  • 1,626 posts

Hmm. I have had the same experiences with Windows and the SPDIF passthrough as you guys (works totally fine) but I have to say I have never had it working in OS X. It might pay to have another look at my install.

Are you sure you have digi out working with whatever AppleHDA patch you use?
VoodooHDA will only give you stereo out i believe.

My TV down-mixes all HDMI audio to stereo before passing it out to my amp via the optical out. Can you believe that {censored}! Its a really common thing for TVs to do too. :( Pissed me off royally. More expensive panels that weren't in my price range don't do it. Sony for example. *sigh*

Are you sure there is not a 'digital audio out' setting as with my LG. that lets you switch between Dolby Digital or PCM (mono or stereo pair)

D

defecta

defecta

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Are you sure you have digi out working with whatever AppleHDA patch you use?
VoodooHDA will only give you stereo out i believe.

Are you sure there is not a 'digital audio out' setting as with my LG. that lets you switch between Dolby Digital or PCM (mono or stereo pair)

D

yeah, i hacked up an SPDIF dongle to connect to the SPDIF header on my board to test whether there is digital audio being output from the board before it gets to the video card. I confirmed that I was getting sound from the SPDIF header in OS X, it was just being stopped at the video card. ( i know there is nothing wrong with the cable as it works perfect in Windows.)

After scrutinising the manual for my TV, it says in plain english that HDMI audio is down-mixed before being output from the TV. The TV tuner doesn't suffer from the same shortcoming fortunately.
I quote page 5 of the manual for my Samsung LA40A650:

When the HDMI IN jacks are connected, the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) jack on the TV outputs 2 channel audio only. If you want to hear 5.1 channel audio, connect the Optical jack on the DVD player or Cable/Satellite Box directly to an Amplifier or Home Theater, not the TV.

(piss me off)

FKA

FKA

are we there yet?

• Members
  • 1,626 posts
Works for me

Select digi out in sys preferences and bobs your uncle! :)

Or keep whatever output device in system preferances and select in media player audio device > digi

:)

RSN

RSN

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Hello

I read about building a hackintosh a while back and recently tried it out

Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Patriot 2GB DDR2-800
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz
XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB
Seagate 120GB SATA HDD
PLEXTOR 24X SATA DVD Writer PX-880SA
Multi card reader
Cooler Master Cosmos
Kingwin 600w PSU
Sony 37" LCD TV

I used ipc 10.5.6 final
- did not choose any kernels as it will install vanilla by default
- the video drivers I choose the natit because of various ATI card compatibility
- the chipset drivers needed are ichx sata drivers
- the sound drivers needed are alc882 and under legacy drivers also choose alc882 address 0
- the ethernet drivers needed are marvell yukon ones
- the wifi wdrivers needed are realtek rtl8187/l
- patched usb drivers
- appleSMBIOS ToH patch

The results were better than I expected - everything seemed to worked.

If I used either the HDMI or the DVI ports on the 5770 I had no sound via the coax digital out on the P5w. I believe this is because that the 5770 has built in sound.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I had this problem with my new hackintosh which has an Intel DP55KG mobo and a Nvidia GT220 video card that a VGA a DVI and a HDMI. I used VoodooHDA for sound in all my hackintosh so when it didnt work I was surprised. It took me a month to "fix" this problem. As you stated, the video card has a HDMi WHICH HAS a SOUND CODEC. If you use VoodooHDA and boot verbose u will see that it identifies the two codecs, the mobo and the video card. In my case that kill sound in my standard speakers (I didnt try HDMI ). So what I ended up doing is modding the Voodoohda source to EXCLUDE a Codec Vendor Id and Device Id. Apparently all sound wants to go thru the HDMIO codec (I have no idea why). If you need thsi voodoohda.kext let me know. You could try excluding the Other Codec (mobo) and see if sound comes out of HDMI.

PageOne

PageOne

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Newbies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I can also confirm that sound via HDMI works with 10.6.3 on my system.

Just installed a Zotac 9500GT card with HDMI port. Video and audio are coming through perfectly to my TV via HDMI cable.

Just select "Digital Out" as your output source in the Sound preference pane.

Thanks to hari om and formerlyknownas for describing their success.

kocoman

kocoman

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
Since people who post here have used HDMI(or via DVI) out successfully, can anyone tell me which of the card supports the 1920x1080 in Snow Leopard? (not with natit etc.. directly with graphics EFI Strings)

thanks

MacSpaces

MacSpaces

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
I install my nvidia 210 i get no sound. But when I use the integrated video card sound works.
After torubleshooting I noticed that the nvidia have an audio codec. So ithink OSX 10.6.4 is reading both but not allowing me to choose either.

Anyway i can disable the sound on the nvidia card and work of my spdif built in connection?

Everything works without the pcie nvidia.

Minardi

Minardi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
So can you just buy a graphics card with HDMI and expect it to have video+sound through the HDMI cable?

If so any recommandations on which graphics card to buy?

_Jay_

_Jay_

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Interests:Computers and cars. I stumbled onto OSx86 about in 2008 but only started to dangle with it late...
ATI HD5770 with an HDMI port should defnitely work. I'm using mine right now with audio going through my HDMI to my TV and then to my surround sound system. Full 5.1 support. I am using the VoodooHDA kext found in ##### 2.0.5.

Minardi

Minardi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

ATI HD5770 with an HDMI port should defnitely work. I'm using mine right now with audio going through my HDMI to my TV and then to my surround sound system. Full 5.1 support. I am using the VoodooHDA kext found in ##### 2.0.5.

So did 5770 fully work with QI/CE? etc.?

Im quite new at all of this, but would you please write down what you did? Would be of ALOT of help :(

Thanks in advance.

hari om

hari om

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

So did 5770 fully work with QI/CE? etc.?

Im quite new at all of this, but would you please write down what you did? Would be of ALOT of help :(

Thanks in advance.

I think this ATI QE/CI Link

Minardi

Minardi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

I think this ATI QE/CI Link

Thank you, i will try to see if i can understand it.

Right now i have a 4670 which im unable to work the way i want to (Only VGA works).

Will the 5770 Work with HDMI cable only??

hari om

hari om

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Thank you, i will try to see if i can understand it.

Right now i have a 4670 which im unable to work the way i want to (Only VGA works).

Will the 5770 Work with HDMI cable only??

no idea - supposidly yes -- but I dont know if the audio codec on the ATI R5xxx is supported or not.

JaS

JaS

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 1,487 posts
I just wanted to post that I have both DVI and HDMI out working on my XFX HD 5770 1 GB DDR5 card I can display on my HDTV without issue, tho audio down HDMI is still a no go in OSx86.So use your regular output jack or optical out. Using the Vervet Framebuffer you can use any one DVI port to display or only the HDMI port. I have not tried both DVI and HDMI simultaneously to see if it sends to 3 displays.

Minardi

Minardi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

I just wanted to post that I have both DVI and HDMI out working on my XFX HD 5770 1 GB DDR5 card I can display on my HDTV without issue, tho audio down HDMI is still a no go in OSx86.So use your regular output jack or optical out.

Have you tried using only HDMI? The reason i ask is other cards behave strange if some of the ports are either empty or occupied.

My 4670 as an examble can only show its VGA signal if the HDMI port is occupied.

Thanks for all the replies, probably going for a 5770 as im fed up with the trouble my 4670 gives.

_Jay_

_Jay_

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Interests:Computers and cars. I stumbled onto OSx86 about in 2008 but only started to dangle with it late...

I just wanted to post that I have both DVI and HDMI out working on my XFX HD 5770 1 GB DDR5 card I can display on my HDTV without issue, tho audio down HDMI is still a no go in OSx86.So use your regular output jack or optical out. Using the Vervet Framebuffer you can use any one DVI port to display or only the HDMI port. I have not tried both DVI and HDMI simultaneously to see if it sends to 3 displays.

Not true. I'm using audio through my HDMI on my HD5770. Try VoodooHDA kext. That's what I'm using right now from #####.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy