Graphics Cards with HDMI carrying Audio in OSx86?

Mebster

55 posts in this topic

Are you sure you have digi out working with whatever AppleHDA patch you use?

VoodooHDA will only give you stereo out i believe.

Are you sure there is not a 'digital audio out' setting as with my LG. that lets you switch between Dolby Digital or PCM (mono or stereo pair)

D

yeah, i hacked up an SPDIF dongle to connect to the SPDIF header on my board to test whether there is digital audio being output from the board before it gets to the video card. I confirmed that I was getting sound from the SPDIF header in OS X, it was just being stopped at the video card. ( i know there is nothing wrong with the cable as it works perfect in Windows.)

After scrutinising the manual for my TV, it says in plain english that HDMI audio is down-mixed before being output from the TV. The TV tuner doesn't suffer from the same shortcoming fortunately.

I quote page 5 of the manual for my Samsung LA40A650:

When the HDMI IN jacks are connected, the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) jack on the TV outputs 2 channel audio only. If you want to hear 5.1 channel audio, connect the Optical jack on the DVD player or Cable/Satellite Box directly to an Amplifier or Home Theater, not the TV.
({censored} me off)

Works for me

Select digi out in sys preferences and bobs your uncle! :)

Or keep whatever output device in system preferances and select in media player audio device > digi

:)

Hello

I read about building a hackintosh a while back and recently tried it out

Asus P5W DH Deluxe

Patriot 2GB DDR2-800

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz

XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB

Seagate 120GB SATA HDD

PLEXTOR 24X SATA DVD Writer PX-880SA

Multi card reader

Cooler Master Cosmos

Kingwin 600w PSU

Sony 37" LCD TV

I used ipc 10.5.6 final

- did not choose any kernels as it will install vanilla by default

- the video drivers I choose the natit because of various ATI card compatibility

- the chipset drivers needed are ichx sata drivers

- the sound drivers needed are alc882 and under legacy drivers also choose alc882 address 0

- the ethernet drivers needed are marvell yukon ones

- the wifi wdrivers needed are realtek rtl8187/l

- patched usb drivers

- appleSMBIOS ToH patch

The results were better than I expected - everything seemed to worked.

If I used either the HDMI or the DVI ports on the 5770 I had no sound via the coax digital out on the P5w. I believe this is because that the 5770 has built in sound.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I had this problem with my new hackintosh which has an Intel DP55KG mobo and a Nvidia GT220 video card that a VGA a DVI and a HDMI. I used VoodooHDA for sound in all my hackintosh so when it didnt work I was surprised. It took me a month to "fix" this problem. As you stated, the video card has a HDMi WHICH HAS a SOUND CODEC. If you use VoodooHDA and boot verbose u will see that it identifies the two codecs, the mobo and the video card. In my case that kill sound in my standard speakers (I didnt try HDMI ). So what I ended up doing is modding the Voodoohda source to EXCLUDE a Codec Vendor Id and Device Id. Apparently all sound wants to go thru the HDMIO codec (I have no idea why). If you need thsi voodoohda.kext let me know. You could try excluding the Other Codec (mobo) and see if sound comes out of HDMI.

• 2 weeks later...

I can also confirm that sound via HDMI works with 10.6.3 on my system.

Just installed a Zotac 9500GT card with HDMI port. Video and audio are coming through perfectly to my TV via HDMI cable.

Just select "Digital Out" as your output source in the Sound preference pane.

Thanks to hari om and formerlyknownas for describing their success.

Since people who post here have used HDMI(or via DVI) out successfully, can anyone tell me which of the card supports the 1920x1080 in Snow Leopard? (not with natit etc.. directly with graphics EFI Strings)

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I install my nvidia 210 i get no sound. But when I use the integrated video card sound works.

After torubleshooting I noticed that the nvidia have an audio codec. So ithink OSX 10.6.4 is reading both but not allowing me to choose either.

Anyway i can disable the sound on the nvidia card and work of my spdif built in connection?

Everything works without the pcie nvidia.

ATI HD5770 with an HDMI port should defnitely work. I'm using mine right now with audio going through my HDMI to my TV and then to my surround sound system. Full 5.1 support. I am using the VoodooHDA kext found in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 2.0.5.

ATI HD5770 with an HDMI port should defnitely work. I'm using mine right now with audio going through my HDMI to my TV and then to my surround sound system. Full 5.1 support. I am using the VoodooHDA kext found in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 2.0.5.

So did 5770 fully work with QI/CE? etc.?

Im quite new at all of this, but would you please write down what you did? Would be of ALOT of help :(

Thanks in advance.

Thank you, i will try to see if i can understand it.

Right now i have a 4670 which im unable to work the way i want to (Only VGA works).

Will the 5770 Work with HDMI cable only??

no idea - supposidly yes -- but I dont know if the audio codec on the ATI R5xxx is supported or not.

I just wanted to post that I have both DVI and HDMI out working on my XFX HD 5770 1 GB DDR5 card I can display on my HDTV without issue, tho audio down HDMI is still a no go in OSx86.So use your regular output jack or optical out. Using the Vervet Framebuffer you can use any one DVI port to display or only the HDMI port. I have not tried both DVI and HDMI simultaneously to see if it sends to 3 displays.

I just wanted to post that I have both DVI and HDMI out working on my XFX HD 5770 1 GB DDR5 card I can display on my HDTV without issue, tho audio down HDMI is still a no go in OSx86.So use your regular output jack or optical out.

Have you tried using only HDMI? The reason i ask is other cards behave strange if some of the ports are either empty or occupied.

My 4670 as an examble can only show its VGA signal if the HDMI port is occupied.

Thanks for all the replies, probably going for a 5770 as im fed up with the trouble my 4670 gives.

I just wanted to post that I have both DVI and HDMI out working on my XFX HD 5770 1 GB DDR5 card I can display on my HDTV without issue, tho audio down HDMI is still a no go in OSx86.So use your regular output jack or optical out. Using the Vervet Framebuffer you can use any one DVI port to display or only the HDMI port. I have not tried both DVI and HDMI simultaneously to see if it sends to 3 displays.

Not true. I'm using audio through my HDMI on my HD5770. Try VoodooHDA kext. That's what I'm using right now from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

Not true. I'm using audio through my HDMI on my HD5770. Try VoodooHDA kext. That's what I'm using right now from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

Thats interesting, I use applehda for my onboard audio but I could try voodoohda, ill download [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and give it a shot, also yes hdmi out only,works

Can anyone confirm that the 5770 works with HDMI only?

Yes. SEARCH THE FORUM!!!

With the netkas kext files, HDMI, DVI, DVI and the display port, AND Dual Display, work on the XFX 1Gb HD5770. HDMI audio with VoodooHDA. Not sure about LEgacyHDA and others.

Can anyone confirm that the 5770 works with HDMI only?

Thats interesting, I use applehda for my onboard audio but I could try voodoohda, ill download [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and give it a shot, also yes hdmi out only ,works

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry to be so retarded but I see that VoodooHDA has the 5770 HDMI audio working.

BUT, I've heard that the VoodooHDA is not good when compared to the AppleHDA.

Is this true?

Can we use both?

Thanks.

(Hey Jammol, what's up... I'm still searching...)

I'm sorry to be so retarded but I see that VoodooHDA has the 5770 HDMI audio working.

BUT, I've heard that the VoodooHDA is not good when compared to the AppleHDA.

Is this true?

Can we use both?

Thanks.

(Hey Jammol, what's up... I'm still searching...)

Sup bro.....I've read that AppleHDA is better but I've never gotten it to give me even a buzz on my system unless I was back on 10.6.0

There's a 10.6.4 version that was modded on Tonymac's site. I tried it but I can only get my audio ports recognized in System Profiler but not show up in System Preferences.

Jay

I'm using a patched AppleHDA for my onborad alc888, have HDEF and hda entries in my DSDT and HDMI audio is working via the HDMI port (haven't tested mini display port.)

Please see my post in the ATI5770 thread.

D

I'm using a patched AppleHDA for my onborad alc888, have HDEF and hda entries in my DSDT and HDMI audio is working via the HDMI port (haven't tested mini display port.)

Please see my post in the ATI5770 thread.

D

Does this mean you are able to play native BluRay rips with HD Audios such as DTS-MA and DD-HD etc ?

I'm not sure exactly what audio format they had but yes I can and have played both straight ripped/decoded BlueRay disk images and ripped&compessed files.

I can't speak for 5.1 as I have stereo only monitoring.

D