[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.5.7 with Chameleon v2 RC2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (Optional update to 10.5.8)

blackosx

511 posts in this topic

I already have a EP35-DS3L rev. 1.0 running on 10.5.4, and I dont' have the audio problem you are talking about.

Is this bug related to 10.5.7 or maybe only occuring to EP45 ?

Any audio problems discussed here are to do with this 10.5.7 vanilla install and VoodooHDA. Your 10.5.4 install will be completely different so no point in trying any comparisons. Although this guide is for the EP45-DS3L, there have been reports of it working on the EP35-DS3L.

But if you would like to try to bring your system up to date with this install then I will be happy to hear how you get on.

Hi,

I followed your instructions - with the effect:

-- I do have a Built-In Audio (SystemProfiler) = Intel HDA 888 this looks fine!

BUT: I DO NOT have Sound Output/Input devices in the SystemPreferences - Sound panel - therefore I don't hear anything!

Please advise!

regards

Gerhard

Hi,

I followed your instructions - with the effect:

-- I do have a Built-In Audio (SystemProfiler) = Intel HDA 888 this looks fine!

BUT: I DO NOT have Sound Output/Input devices in the SystemPreferences - Sound panel - therefore I don't hear anything!

Thanks for trying it g_h.

Can you confirm you are using GA-EP45-DS3L and Bios F10?

Thanks for trying it g_h.

Can you confirm you are using GA-EP45-DS3L and Bios F10?

YES Sir! - Affirm!

Can you post a list whats in your /System/Library/Extension (regarding audio drivers) maybe something is in there in my installation which should not...

G.H.

Can you post a list whats in your /System/Library/Extension (regarding audio drivers) maybe something is in there in my installation which should not...

I am not at my hack at the moment so I can't give you a definitive list, but I can tell you that my /System/Library/Extensions is the default install from retail DVD with the 10.5.7 update applied and nothing has been added or removed from it.

EDIT: I did post a patched AppleHDA.kext here for g_h to test but as thiagomorales mentions in the next post this was incorrect advice so I have removed it.

I think I need to continue this trial from my Hack where I can give accurate information. If that's okay with everybody here, I will be online this evening with my hack after 6.00pm GMT. Sorry for any inconvenience.

AppleHDA.kext not work from /Extra/Extensions, this may stored in /System/Library/Extensions..

"Legacy HDA.kext" is the only kext that works from /E/E...

Regards.

Well spotted thiagomorales, you're right it should not.

Thing is, on my system just using DSDT.aml and the LegacyHDA in /Extra/Extensions works a treat. But it didn't work for g_h. So I was experimenting. I'll update my previous post..

YES Sir! - Affirm!

G.H.

Have you using what method? DSDT + Legacy HDA, or HDAEnabler + Legacy HDA ?

If you are using DSDT + LegacyHDA, you must remove HDAEnabler(if exists) from /Extensions folder.

With these method, you must use original(vanilla) AppleHDA.kext on /System/Library/Extensions to work.

Good luck. :(

Regards.

Have you using what method? DSDT + Legacy HDA, or HDAEnabler + Legacy HDA ?

If you are using DSDT + LegacyHDA, you must remove HDAEnabler(if exists) from /Extensions folder.

With these method, you must use original(vanilla) AppleHDA.kext on /System/Library/Extensions to work.

The trial I uploaded was using DSDT + Legacy HDA to /Extra/Extensions. I feel this is the best method because the unpatched AppleHDA will already be in /System/Library/Extensions meaning nobody has to touch that.

Thanks for helping on this :(

To keep this thread clean and relevant to this install, I have (like ZenGiga suggested) decided to start a new thread dedicated to a DSDT install for the GA-EP45-DS3L. You can find it here. So please DO NOT post any further DSDT stuff regarding my quick trial here.

I will still be working with this install to support anyone here if they need help.

BTW I think I said auto sleep still wasn't working for me after applying the ethernet fix you suggested (psystar r1000 kext etc). Turns out it was. Seems I was just choosing a time too close to current time - 2 mins - because the next evening it went to sleep at the scheduled time (and later woke) without issues.

So auto sleep really is fixed by using the psystar lan drivers.

Now the thing I really miss is the 'require password when waking from sleep or screensaver'. With young kids running around the house it always feels safer to leave my account locked :)

Now the thing I really miss is the 'require password when waking from sleep or screensaver'. With young kids running around the house it always feels safer to leave my account locked :D

This works for me. System Prefs/Security/Require password to wake....blah... checked and also Disable automatic login checked.

But I am currently using a DSDT file so I will check it without the DSDT next time I reboot.

Still fighting Audio Issues!

Hi,

I don't know were my posts from yesterday are gone...

My situation regarding Audio has not changed significantly:

-- With VoodoHDA (and OSvKernDSP, IOAudioFamily) in /E/E AND AppleHDA + HDAEnabler in /S/L/E I see Built in HDA Audio in the SystemProfiler but only "Unknown" in SystemPreferences -- And I have issues with USB-Audio (Stealthplug is not recognized)

-- With blackosx' test DSDT (from 2 days ago) and have VoodooHDA(plus others) moved away from /E/E I dont have any audio device in SystemPrefs

..I did not follow your DSDT thread so far...dont have a Windows installation on this particular hackintosh....

regards

Gerhard

Hi g_h

Still fighting Audio Issues!

I don't know were my posts from yesterday are gone...

Which post do you mean? as I haven't deleted any (I can't delete them, only the Mods can).

My situation regarding Audio has not changed significantly:

-- With VoodoHDA (and OSvKernDSP, IOAudioFamily) in /E/E AND AppleHDA + HDAEnabler in /S/L/E I see Built in HDA Audio in the SystemProfiler but only "Unknown" in SystemPreferences -- And I have issues with USB-Audio (Stealthplug is not recognized)

Gerhard

The trial I posted should work for your GA-EP45-DS3L bios F10. I have uploaded it again but this time to my DSDT thread for us to work through if you want?

Also, don't worry about using patched AppleHDA and HDAEnabler, we don't need them so you can put your /S/L/E folder back to how it was with Apple's default AppleHDA and remove HDAEnabler from there, if you added it.

I hope your Stealthplug problem can be solved with DSDT but for that you are going to need to follow my DSDT guide.

..I did not follow your DSDT thread so far...dont have a Windows installation on this particular hackintosh....

Any windows installation will do, it doesn't have to be on your particular hackintosh system.

:)

...I did not mean the posts have been deleted - but I don't find them anymore :thumbsdown_anim:

Now I followed your guide and built a new dsdt.aml put the legacyHDA in /E/E - moved Voodoo + others out of /E/E

Result is the same: Nice "Built in Audio" in SystemProfiler "Unknown" in SystemPrefs

What is the "original" version of AppleHDA.kext (in /SL/E) - I am not sure if I have the correct = unpached one...during all my tests... (can I extract it from the original OSX DVD ? or do I have to go thru a new installation ?)

BTW: The data which the IORegistryExplorer gave to me where different to yours (in your guide) --> ethernet (Realtek card) not in PEX - no PEGP for my 8800GTS

anyway giving up for today....

regards

Gerhard

Hi Gerhard. I have moved this conversation to here in my DSDT thread to help keep things clean and in the other thread I have tried my best to answer your questions.

But if you do need to get sound back in the mean time then you can always re-add your backed up VoodooHDA.kext, OSvKernDSPLib.kext, and IOAudioFamily.kext, rebuild your Extensions.mkext and reboot.

Hello, and many thanks for this helpful guide.

Of the links you provide at the beginning, the one for the "Support files" doesn't work: Mediafire keeps getting stuck at http://download761.mediafire.com/5yhepqeml...Files+v1.01.zip

When I tried your instructions without them, I wound up without the boot.plist file to put in the extra folder, and Chameleon complained it couldn't find the Mach kernel.

Could anyone post an example of a suitable boot.plist?

Many thanks!

Excellent guide. Thank you so much for your time and energy putting everything together. For completeness and accuracy, you have a typo on Section 5d. You have IPOCI and it should read IOPCI.

I have a further question. I used the guide and partioned a 1000 gb hard drive as Chameleon (Mac OS Extended Journaled), Macintosh (same), and Windows FAT with the GUID Option. I would like to set up a dual boot computer using Chameleon to allow me to switch between operating systems. I got everything working via your guide and it was perfect, sound, LAN, etc. Then I inserted a Windows XP installation disc and it failed after reading some of the setup files. I turned off AHCI and I could get into the Setup program. I chose my Windows (FAT) partition and it wanted to convert to NTFS. Since I plan to use files larger than 4 GB in Windows I thought I could convert the Windows (FAT) partition to NTFS. I first chose to format as NTFS (quick) and it wouldn't. Then I chose to convert to NTFS and it would. It got all the way through the installation and then rebooted. Now I'm stuck. Once it rebooted everything is messed up. Nothing will boot. Turned on and off AHCI.

I am now going to redo your procedure from the beginning but would love some help on how to use your procedure to create a dual boot computer with a single hard drive.

Thank you very much for your time and help in advance.

Thanks for pointing out the typo, I will have to put that on the to-do list :D

I would like to set up a dual boot computer using Chameleon to allow me to switch between operating systems....... Once it rebooted everything is messed up. Nothing will boot. Turned on and off AHCI.

With regards to installing Windows XP to the Windows FAT partition on the same drive, I didn't pursue that because I read that Chameleon can't directly load XP due to an issue with XP itself, also I think XP prefers to sit on an MBR partition and not a GUID one. However, I initially created the Windows FAT partition for using Windows 7 as it uses an EFI partition and a GUID formatted disk. I did try to install it like you did with XP by allowing it to reformat the FAT partition to NTFS. I thought it would be easy to do. But alas, when installing Windows 7 to the same drive as OS X is already on, it overwrites the boot loader with it's own code so only Windows 7 would boot and not OS X. In the end, I took the easy root and installed Windows 7 to a second hard drive instead.

So, sorry to say I can't really help you with this. There are many threads here on insanely regarding dual booting from the same hard drive and a couple of threads at voodoo projects' forum too which might be able to give you further information and help. Maybe if you work it out then you can tell me how to do it? :D

Thank you for the super fast reply. :-)

I did start reading all of the dual boot threads. It looks like Windows needs to go first then OSX and you use Windows to do the Bootloader function. I guess looking at Chameleon I thought it would be able to do the dual boot.

I'm going to reinstall OSX per your guide and forego the dual boot at the moment.

I haven't read how to use this "clean/retail" OSX procedure with a dual boot. I very much want to be able to install any OS upgrades (or any upgrades in general) and not run the risk of crashing my system (which I did when I went 10.5.5 to 10.5.6).

I can always get another hard drive if that makes it very simple. Any tips on your Windows 7 install to the second hard drive. Is there a guide you followed that you could point me to?

Again, thank you so much for your time and for putting this together!!!

I can always get another hard drive if that makes it very simple. Any tips on your Windows 7 install to the second hard drive. Is there a guide you followed that you could point me to?

As far as installing Windows 7 or Vista on to a separate hard drive goes, just physically unplug the OS X drive so only the hard drive you want to install to is plugged in, then go ahead and install Windows. When it's done, plug the other hard drive containing OS X back in and reboot, selecting the OS X drive as default in the BIOS. Chameleon will then find the Windows install and present you with the correct graphic and option to boot it.

I think that Windows installer(setup) make(flag) his partition as 'Active' and wich bootloader is on another partition(efi), its wont boot.

The boot partition must be flagged as 'Active'.

Make a try: Boot with GParted cd, then set the EFI(bootloader partition) as 'Active'.

Luck.

Regards.

thiagomorales and blackosx, thanks!

OK, I think I got it. I'm doing a little downloading overnight. I'll pick up a new SATA hard drive tomorrow. I know I'm hijacking the thread here, sorry for that, but I'd love to get this completed.

Any issues with AHCI? Does that need to be turned on and off? I know OSX needs it on. I thought Windows needed it off, but perhaps it's not an issue.

You mention Windows 7 and Vista. I read your comments below abour MBR and XP. I think the dual boot works OK with XP, but I read a forum that said Chameleon has to be installed on the XP drive because both Chameleon and XP want to be first. (I know I sound like an idiot, hence the questions.) Do I have to install Chameleon to the XP drive? Any issues with that from the OSX side?

I'd really love to boot up the computer, have Chameleon 2.0 RC2 appear with a Mac and Windows icon, default to Mac but give me the option for Windows, and have both boot up flawlessly.

Again, if you have links to guides or forum postings to read, I would greatly appreciate it.