[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.5.7 with Chameleon v2 RC2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (Optional update to 10.5.8)

blackosx

511 posts in this topic

I do have it on AHCI. I also downloaded the Generic ISO that you have linked, and gone through the process again.

THe bootloader in question still fails to recognize the partition, so i reboot via the generic iso bootloader, punched in 80, and selected the partition where my system was installed on, and i am at the desktop.

I do have it on AHCI. I also downloaded the Generic ISO that you have linked, and gone through the process again.

THe bootloader in question still fails to recognize the partition, so i reboot via the generic iso bootloader, punched in 80, and selected the partition where my system was installed on, and i am at the desktop.

Thanks for testing the generic bootloader. So the problem lies with my Boot CD using Chameleon v2?

It's good to know you managed to get to your system using the generic iso which means we have a work around for now.

I will have to look in to why, but because I can't replicate it on my system, I won't be able to test.

I know you suggested maybe it's because I use a 10.5 install DVD where you used 10.5.4 but I don't think that would cause any issue? Both you and sickofit use a Core2Quad, so could that be something?

im using geforce gtx260 with evga drivers and efi string added with osxtools (custom geforce)

Well, it sounds like graphics card issues to me. The gts250 I have is is basically a die shrunk remodelled overclocked 8800GT, and the 800 is known to work well (apple actually used it), but AFAIK once you go up to the gts260 or better it's a whole new generation of graphics chips and getting that working seems to be harder - you'll likely find better answers in threads dedicated to the gtx260 or similar.

My one thought - are you setting the default graphics res in chameleon's com.apple.boot.plist?

More pci scsi card futzing.

Bizarre but interesting. I used the one furthest away last time, maybe I need to try the other one.

Well, IOReg does see the scsi card, even though system profiler doesn't. And moving it to a different slot doesn't help either.

Investigations continue :(

Following Blackosx's updated install guide 2.3, the results just gets better.

The OS will go into sleep properly (meaning it does not shutdown) and can be woken up with keyboard stroke.

Haven't tried auto sleep yet.

Just to confirm.

For Time Machine purposes is it neccessary to combine the ethernet string with the video string if one is using the GA311 ethernet card?

If anyone is interested, I have just started a new thread with a new guide for this vanilla install but putting Chameleon on the EFI partition instead of it's own partition and also a dual boot with Windows 7 on the same hard drive.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=178292

For Time Machine purposes is it neccessary to combine the ethernet string with the video string if one is using the GA311 ethernet card?

Hi geithals

For that I can't be sure as I don't have one for testing, but I don't think it will do any harm if you add the ethernet string.

:)

More pci scsi card futzing.

Well, IOReg does see the scsi card, even though system profiler doesn't. And moving it to a different slot doesn't help either.

Investigations continue :)

OK. Investigation complete! This isn't ever gonna work ^_^

Things I've learnt:

Even if the card doesn't appear in system profiler it can still work. IOreg is more reliable for exploration of attached devices/cards etc.

You can add an efi string to get system profile reporting the pci card as for other cards.

I thought I'd have a shot at adding an efi string to device properties for this scsi card to see if that helped, and it did in the sense that I actually ended up with an error message in system.log rather than it just not working:

Aug 5 14:32:40 localhost kernel[0]: com.adaptec.driver.7860 isn't a valid mach-o (magic is cefaedfe)

Aug 5 14:32:40 localhost kernel[0]: error mapping module file com.adaptec.driver.7860

Aug 5 14:32:40 localhost kernel[0]: can't map com.adaptec.driver.7860 in preparation for loading

Aug 5 14:32:40 localhost kernel[0]: Can't determine dependencies for com.adaptec.driver.7860.

Aug 5 14:32:40 localhost kernel[0]: Couldn't alloc class "ADPT7860SCSIController"

Some googling and then I looked at the driver with otool:

otool -h /System/Library/Extensions/Adaptec290X-2930.kext/Contents/MacOS/Adaptec290X-2930

Which gives:

Mach header

magic cputype cpusubtype caps filetype ncmds sizeofcmds flags

0xfeedface 18 0 0x00 1 3 664 0x00000000

See that cputype = 18? that's PPC. Basically this ancient adaptec driver is ppc only, which is why it works on the g4 but not on the hack. And apple no longer build in scsi drivers for this card (dropped them in 10.4 I believe).

So basically adding an efi string may get your pci card noticed, but of course you still need working drivers.

I've hooked my scanner up to the g4, I'll have to accept that I guess :)

So nothing to do with this install or mobo, just bad drivers.

OK. Investigation complete! This isn't ever gonna work ^_^

Good research! You've been a right Sherlock Holmes on that one.. :)

At least you now know why it doesn't work.

Thanks for the tip for adding PCI cards with EFI strings.

hello again. i got three issues with sleep. would be glad if you could help me.

1. sleep works, but wakeup woks only via powerbutton. in bios i enabled "suspend to ram" and "wakeup via doubleclick" and "wakeup via keyboard". but it does not work.

2. disorted audio after waking up from sleep. i followed your link to the thread about unloading and reloading .kexts, but the mentioned kext is installed in chameleon. how can i unload a kext that chameleon loaded?

3. the error message for unplugging usb drives is shown up. is there a way to fix it?

thank you for your help in advance!

//edit:

i am going to test dsdt to fix disorted audio. hope it will work for me :)

1. sleep works, but wakeup woks only via powerbutton. in bios i enabled "suspend to ram" and "wakeup via doubleclick" and "wakeup via keyboard". but it does not work.

Before we added RealtekR1000.kext and it's dependencies I could wake sleep keyboard, mouse or the power button. But since adding them I also have to wake this install with the power button. (But my new install with Chameleon on the EFI partition wakes from sleep with the keyboard and mouse - I need to look in to why this is).

As for the Power on by Mouse and Power on by Keyboard options in the BIOS, they only apply to PS/2 devices, not USB.

2. disorted audio after waking up from sleep. i followed your link to the thread about unloading and reloading .kexts, but the mentioned kext is installed in chameleon. how can i unload a kext that chameleon loaded?

You need to follow the instructions in that link as you tried, but because we installed Chameleon on it's own partition, the command in Terminal will be:

sudo kextunload /Chameleon/Extra/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext

and

sudo kextload /Chameleon/Extra/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext

3. the error message for unplugging usb drives is shown up. is there a way to fix it?

With regard to sleep, it's always wise to unmount USB drives before putting the system to sleep.

//edit:

i am going to test dsdt to fix disorted audio. hope it will work for me :)

It does work. Give it a try.

Hope this helps

:D

i tried...

sudo kextunload /Chameleon/Extra/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext

and

sudo kextload /Chameleon/Extra/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext

...before, but then i got this error:

kextunload: /Chameleon/Extra/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext: no such bundle file exists

can't add kext (file access/permissions).

and i tried "unload, ignoring the first error, unload again, reload" like the guide said, but it didnt work.

(the path to the file is 100% right)

i think i will use chameleon at efi partition to get wakeup work with keyboard. is it possible to change my running system in this way:

install chameleon on efi partition. copy all kexts and apply all changes/fixes. delete chameleon partition. reboot. ?

and i tried "unload, ignoring the first error, unload again, reload" like the guide said, but it didnt work.

It's a permissions thing...

i think i will use chameleon at efi partition to get wakeup work with keyboard. is it possible to change my running system in this way:

install chameleon on efi partition. copy all kexts and apply all changes/fixes. delete chameleon partition. reboot. ?

It should work, but after you have installed Chameleon to the EFI partition and set it up you should reformat the Chameleon partition to remove all traces of the existing Chameleon install. You can read my guide from my EFI install if it helps you.

But note: I haven't tried doing this so I can't be 100% sure it will work.

Good luck and let me know if it works for you.

So has anyone taken the plunge with 10.5.8 yet? :)

Thanks for the tip off. I am doing it now. I feel confident it should work. I will let you know. :)

EDIT:

Hold off guys, I just applied this to my backup install, from within the backup install itself, with Chameleon in it's own partition and the backup install now fails to boot :(

The other way to do previous updates was to download the update from one install and apply it to another on disk, then boot in to it. Maybe somebody try that method?

I am sure it's easily sorted but I have to go to bed. Sorry I can't try and work it out now.

Bloody gutted it didn't work first time though.

Guys, 10.5.8 is out

anyone had try to install?

SORTED IT!

It was to do with the fact that we added extra bits to Chameleon's Extra/Extensions.

I removed everything from /Extra/Extensions except for AppleDecrypt, Disabler and IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector and it works.

So one of the other kexts is incompatible, maybe the networking dependencies we added with Psystar's RealtekR1000.kext... The IONetworkingFamily and IOPCIFamily kext.

I reckon we need to replace those with the ones from 10.5.8 /S/L/E folder ..

Anyway I must go back to bed!

Need help. Following Blackosx guide and can get through steps 1 to 8. At that point I have to press F8 to get to Chameleon's boot option. The issue is nothing happen when I hit F8. I see the GA-EP45-DS3L disk but nothing else. At that point I'm assuming I should see the partition where I installed Mac OS X. Anyone has any idea of what is happening, there is obviously something wrong with my system, I just can't figure it out...

Thanks for all the hard work you've put into this. I managed to get 10.5.7 working quite well, (still trying to sort the audio issues - no sound at the moment).

I had a couple mis-steps along the way:

1) tried doing straight install from the Leopard DVD, didn't work, so used an iMac with the hard drive attached via Firewire, that did the trick.

2) video card is a BFG 9800 GT 512, so I thought I'd try stringing a download from Aquamacs with the on-board ethernet for a hex key, but I got graphical glitches with that, so I re-did it with the 8800 GT set-ups from the guide files - and that's working well.

3) Time machine didn't work at first (or shutdown/restart) but I had downloaded all the kexts from the PDF guide (by clicking on the links in the PDF instead of using the attached files from the first forum post) so I got the newer (?) version of the OpenHaltRestart.kext (1.0.3 or something) that didn't work, so I replaced it with the other one, and voila - it now works - as well as the shutdown/restart/sleep option.

i tried 10.5.8 with combo update. update worked. system is running with ethernet, audio and graphic card.

sleep does no longer work. im going to test if sleep will work if chameleon is installed on efi partition.

Need help. Following Blackosx guide and can get through steps 1 to 8. At that point I have to press F8 to get to Chameleon's boot option. The issue is nothing happen when I hit F8. I see the GA-EP45-DS3L disk but nothing else. At that point I'm assuming I should see the partition where I installed Mac OS X. Anyone has any idea of what is happening, there is obviously something wrong with my system, I just can't figure it out...

exactly the same problem i had. blackosx suggested:

Hi sickofit

Sorry the install from my boot CD hasn't worked for you.

I can't think why Chameleon is not picking up the partition?

If possible, can you burn this generic boot132 CD and boot from it instead?

What you need to do is boot from it and when presented with a boot prompt, press ESCAPE, then type 80 for your 1st hard disk. You'll then be presented with a list of partitions. See if your Macintosh partition is in the list, if so, you should be able to boot it from there. If successful, swap CD's back to my Boot CD can carry on the install.

Can you let me know if it works?

Thanks

EDIT: I have just tried using that iso and I couldn't boot from it. So I am just uploading a new image which works.

Sorry for any inconvenience. I'll update this post shortly with the new link.

Here is a new Generic Boot 132 iso which works.

10.5.8 Update.

Go ahead and use Software Update, but before you do...

remove IOPCIFamily.kext from Chameleon's /Extra/Extensions and rebuild Extensions.mkext first.

First time I rebooted, it failed, but second time I chose Verbose boot and it booted successfully.

But my G5 also rebooted twice so I think this is normal.

EDIT: There seems to be an issue with Sleep with 10.5.8 on this install

EDIT: The sleep issue is a common problem... see here

Sleep now works but only with a DSDT.aml

EDIT: netkas has a new dsmos.kext which might be worth a look. I have used AppleDecrypt in this install but they do the same thing.

@clamoure

Did the answer from sickofit help you? (thanks sickofit) ;)

@mobjerg

Great! Well done for overcoming the issues you had and thanks for reporting. ;)

@sickofit

Sleep no longer works for me on this install or the EFI install.

Maybe keep and eye out for Psystar updating OpenHaltRestart.kext?

@clamoure

you are the 3rd person on this forum that ran into the problem of bootdisk not able to pick up the installation partition, would you mind share you system specs? maybe we can find a common point which can help us to figure out whats wrong.

@blackosx

my system is running fine after i followed your instructions, however, my optical drive is not recognized as a cd burning device. right now, i am using a usb burner to write dvd and cds, do you have any clue as to what caused this

@clamoure

you are the 3rd person on this forum that ran into the problem of bootdisk not able to pick up the installation partition, would you mind share you system specs? maybe we can find a common point which can help us to figure out whats wrong.

Chynaman

Thanks for helping to trying to identify the problem.... I have acknowledged it in the Boot CD instructions on the front page of this thread and added the reference to the generic boot132 iso in case of problems.

@blackosx

my system is running fine after i followed your instructions, however, my optical drive is not recognized as a cd burning device. right now, i am using a usb burner to write dvd and cds, do you have any clue as to what caused this

It's great you're up and running, but a shame you have issues with the CD burner.. I'm not sure what it can be, but I remember reading something a while back with people recommending Pioneer drives because that's what Apple use. What make of optical drive do you have?

10.5.8 Update.

Go ahead and use Software Update, but before you do...

remove IOPCIFamily.kext from Chameleon's /Extra/Extensions and rebuild Extensions.mkext first.

I removed that plus the NetowrkingFamily.kext and RealtekR1000.kext that I put in at the same time.

Installed updated, bonjour obviously broken again, as is sleep (system.log reports 'system Doze'). All as others have found.

But my G5 also rebooted twice so I think this is normal.

Confirm the double boot, seems normal.

EDIT: netkas has a new dsmos.kext which might be worth a look. I have used AppleDecrypt in this install but they do the same thing.

Tried that, along with the Disabler he links to on that post (which also disables ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin

as well as AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement), end result was sleep with fans and lights still on - and no ability to wake. doh.

Experiments continue...