[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.5.7 with Chameleon v2 RC2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (Optional update to 10.5.8)

blackosx

511 posts in this topic

When using bonjour to play itunes from another mac, it works but after playing 5 or 6 songs I get the following buffer error (from system.log):

IOAudioStream[0x6743500]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (1,228)->(2,427).

Any suggestions?

Well done for proceeding with DSDT and getting the ethernet and audio working... You are learning quickly ;)

The video is proving to be a problem for you. You have tried a few attempts now... But are you saying that the QE/CI was working straight after the retail install and that adding kexts then stopped it working?

Note: One thing, when you are quoting a reply, try not to include the complete text from the previous reply. Just use relevant snippets, as this makes the posts easier to follow. :)

yes i had no lag after/before the update. after the kext i had the lag. My video finally works too(image attached) using the a efi string & osxtools added it to combined boot list.

i had to dump the rom from my card and read the nvcap data string.

The only issue i have now is ethernet stopped working. it was working verry slowly before now its stopped completely. is there a kext i need to add for that?

my extra folder only has around 5 or 6 kext

in the network settings the first 2 green lights are litup.

When OSxTools generates a custom gfx string, does it communicate with the card?

Could one string generated for one manufaturer's 9400 be different to anothers?

Zangieff wrote

"however this method didn't take also. you mentioned qe/ci i did not have that problem until i rebooted.( after adding the kext)"

This bit might need more explanation

"the kext" one kext? which one? or do you mean adding all the kexts to the cham/extras/extension folder?

Or, are you calling the com.apple.boot.plist a kext?

i added all the kext from the extra folder from cd. i then rebooted.

my video now works well. i dumped the rom from the card to read the nvcap string added that to osxtools. i then enabled the setting from the osxtools and rebooted.

post-448530-1250433928_thumb.jpg

post-448530-1250434295_thumb.jpg

When using bonjour to play itunes from another mac, it works but after playing 5 or 6 songs I get the following buffer error (from system.log):

IOAudioStream[0x6743500]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (1,228)->(2,427).

Hi justmetoo

I have never heard of this but I don't really listen to anther itunes library through bonjour sharing. But I do have a Vista machine with an itunes library on it, so maybe I will do some tests this evening and see if it happens to me too. I'll let you know.

My video finally works too(image attached) using the a efi string & osxtools added it to combined boot list...

i had to dump the rom from my card and read the nvcap data string.

@zangieff

You have been researching and learning and come up with a good solution for getting you video working. Well done again :(

And I guess we can ignore the lag thing then as it working?

The only issue i have now is ethernet stopped working. it was working verry slowly before now its stopped completely. is there a kext i need to add for that?

.....my extra folder only has around 5 or 6 kext

For your ethernet to work you will need it selected in your DSDT, with the Time Machine box checked.

And for the bonjour networking to work you will need to put into /Extra/Extensions, Psystar's RealtekR1000.kext and it's two dependencies from /System/Library/Extensions (those are IONetworkingFamily.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext).

But I have been trialing without the IOPCIFamily.kext recently and it still seems to be working fine.

So I am currently running 10.5.8 with a patched DSDT and in my /E/E folder I have the following kexts....

AppleDecrypt (for decrypting Apple binaries, your hack won't work without this)

Disabler (only for my QT mouse lag issue for the 8800GT, if you don't suffer this then you won't need it)

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector (to fix orange icons)

IONetworkingFamily (a required dependent for RealtekR1000 for proper bonjour networking)

LegacyHDA (to compliment my DSDT audio)

OpenHaltRestart (for shutdown and restart)

RealtekR1000 (for proper bonjour networking)

UUID (fixes the UUID error in system.log)

VoodooPowerMini (To give me SpeedStep to help lower my CPU temperature since upgrading to 10.5.8)

Just one problem. My CPU, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550, isn't recognized.

Chameleon's smbios.plist is the place to fix that, cosmetically at least. Not sure but a DSDT.aml might be used to fix that too...

Silverlight and other programs think my computer is PPC based as a result. How can I fix this?

Sorting it out with smbios.plist didn't help me install silverlight - ended up hacking the sliverlight install script. Search, you'll find other threads about installing silverlight.

"Note: 10.5.8 sleep only works if you use a DSDT file and remove the block from Disabler.kext for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement so it runs freely."

does that mean, I should delete Disabler.kext and install AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement?

"Note: 10.5.8 sleep only works if you use a DSDT file and remove the block from Disabler.kext for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement so it runs freely."

does that mean, I should delete Disabler.kext and install AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement?

If you have followed this guide for 10.5.7 and then updated to 10.5.8 with software update then to enable sleep you will need a patched DSDT.aml to handle HPET for your system which will allow you to run with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement installed.

As this install guide leaves the retail install untouched, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement will already be in /S/L/E but was just disabled. So yes, removing the Disabler will allow it to run.

Hi justmetoo

I have never heard of this but I don't really listen to anther itunes library through bonjour sharing. But I do have a Vista machine with an itunes library on it, so maybe I will do some tests this evening and see if it happens to me too. I'll let you know.

@zangieff

You have been researching and learning and come up with a good solution for getting you video working. Well done again :(

And I guess we can ignore the lag thing then as it working?

For your ethernet to work you will need it selected in your DSDT, with the Time Machine box checked.

And for the bonjour networking to work you will need to put into /Extra/Extensions, Psystar's RealtekR1000.kext and it's two dependencies from /System/Library/Extensions (those are IONetworkingFamily.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext).

But I have been trialing without the IOPCIFamily.kext recently and it still seems to be working fine.

So I am currently running 10.5.8 with a patched DSDT and in my /E/E folder I have the following kexts....

AppleDecrypt (for decrypting Apple binaries, your hack won't work without this)

Disabler (only for my QT mouse lag issue for the 8800GT, if you don't suffer this then you won't need it)

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector (to fix orange icons)

IONetworkingFamily (a required dependent for RealtekR1000 for proper bonjour networking)

LegacyHDA (to compliment my DSDT audio)

OpenHaltRestart (for shutdown and restart)

RealtekR1000 (for proper bonjour networking)

UUID (fixes the UUID error in system.log)

VoodooPowerMini (To give me SpeedStep to help lower my CPU temperature since upgrading to 10.5.8)

Thanks

All is well now. It works how i want with no issues. I only need to boot into with windows 7. I dont know why it wont boot with the ahci settings. Windows 7 is on a separate hardrive

Thanks

All is well now. It works how i want with no issues. I only need to boot into with windows 7. I dont know why it wont boot with the ahci settings. Windows 7 is on a separate hardrive

Try putting the Mac harddrive in SATA_0, then windows in SATA_1 then DVD in SATA_3 port.

QUESTIONS!!:

before here are my specs:

It's the full vanilla installation with DSDT Audio, Ethernet and Video, with these kexts:

AppleDecrypt.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext (Vanilla)

LegacyHDA.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

RealtekR1000.kext

UUID.kext

VoodooPowerMini.kext

1.SpeedStep doesn't work for me... it's 2.93ghz all the time, and yes, c2e, c4e, etc is enabled in BIOS, it works in Vista.I tried both VoodooPowerMini and VoodooPower.

2. is IOPCICardFamily.kext not needed after DSDT?****DOESN'T LOOK LIKE IT! :-)

3. one other problem is that the resolutions menu don't have a 1920x1080 Progressive/regular mode, only interlaced. (Right now it's in progressive auto detect, but if i I change it I can't go back, I have to use a third party tool)

4. Mail says "You cannot use this version of the application mail with this version of mac" I'm gonna reinstall 10.5.8 and see what happens.****FIXED BY REINSTALLING UPDATE :-)

5. I don't know what "NVCAP" value i should choose, I think it was either HC 1, HC 2 or HC 12 (or just dual DVI) mine's 2 DVI then a multi analog output (component, svideo, etc)

So, I have few minor problems, other than that... it's great!

Can anyone help me?

You haven't mentioned what hardware you're running other than your CPU is at 2.93Ghz.

1. For SpeedStep, all I can say is it works for me. For more details you'll have to read http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=143898

2. Like I said, I have been trialing without the IOPCIFamily.kext recently and it still seems to be working fine for me.

3. The resolution problem, I can't comment on as my display only supports up to 1680x1050.

4. Mail works great for me. You must have had something wrong with it, but I see you've fixed that. ;)

5. NVCAP? - I only know what I had to use. My 8800GT as dual DVI, I could just select Dual DVI. You'll have to do some research.

Sorry I can't offer more detailed help but well done on your install :)

Strange...

Still haven't got Time machine to work...however firewire works now!

Just added some kexts to /extra/extensions/ and it started to sync....;)

Now I like to know this: The files in /extra/extensions/ , should they all be in "extensions.mkext"?

otherwise this install is still the greatest!

Everything works great except that streaming sound sometimes hacks...same for u guys?

Thanx a looot anyway!!

/Peder J

My Specs:

Gigabyte P43-DS3LR (Exactly same but ICH10R and P43 Chipset)

I got sleep working... Only way I could do it is to install VoodooPowerMini with KextHelper... I don't know the reason behind it, but... Whatever... It would be nice if i can just place it at Extra/Extensions.

lol more problems yay!

Firewire card isn't visible in System Profiler, but I think it works.

Also, when I wake up from sleep, the message "usb disconnected blah" comes up, and my PATA drive gets unmounted/disappears....

it seems like tha'ts theo nly problem now.

hey, though I personally thank you for this guide.

Hi justmetoo

Last night I played 30 mins of music from my Vista machine through iTunes with Bonjour sharing and I didn't notice any problems, though I didn't look in my system.log (Next time I will)

Now I like to know this: The files in /extra/extensions/ , should they all be in "extensions.mkext"?

I don't think the kext's in /Extra/Extensions have to be in Extensions.mkext but I think it's a good idea to do so and it helps for faster booting.

I got sleep working... Only way I could do it is to install VoodooPowerMini with KextHelper... I don't know the reason behind it, but... Whatever... It would be nice if i can just place it at Extra/Extensions.

Firewire card isn't visible in System Profiler, but I think it works.

Also, when I wake up from sleep, the message "usb disconnected blah" comes up, and my PATA drive gets unmounted/disappears....

I don't think VoodooPowerMini will help with sleep, but if it did for you then great! I got VoodooPowerMini working from /E/E, see here.

Firewire I don't have, but I have read it should work. And the USB message is that only for PATA drives? as I never see it using SATA.

hey... i meant speedstep... not sleep sorry agh...

and well, the usb messages come up, i think the usb devices get reloaded or something.

but PATA just disappears outright.

idk what's happening, i get a "Please restart the system error, im gonna do a fresh install with the pre-made dsdt now, and see if i can use the voodoopower in extra.

hey... i meant speedstep... not sleep sorry agh...

and well, the usb messages come up, i think the usb devices get reloaded or something.

but PATA just disappears outright.

idk what's happening, i get a "Please restart the system error, im gonna do a fresh install with the pre-made dsdt now, and see if i can use the voodoopower in extra.

SpeedStep. Okay. :) follow what I did to get it working from /E/E.

As for the 'Please restart the system error'? Never seen that one..

As you've done it once (or maybe more times), the fresh install shouldn't take too long :(

Try putting the Mac harddrive in SATA_0, then windows in SATA_1 then DVD in SATA_3 port.

thanks i will give that ago

No probs, and following this guide will help ease the transition to Snow Leopard :(

Can i get a copy of your disable.kext so i can see what i need to remove in mine to get my sleep working & that kext your using to keep the temperatures down..

Thanks

hey blackosx, it was the firewire card.. it's causing all sorts of problems. kernel panic etc... i just wasted like 4-5 hours trying to see what's wrong all i had to do was remove the card >:-(

but your fix for voodoopowermini worked. :-)

right now, I have everything except, in sleep the usb message come up.

Just wanted to report my successful install using this guide and thank blackosx for his excellent work and others for their contributions. :D

My HW:

GA-EP45-DS3LR (with F1 BIOS at start, and now with F2)

Sapphire Vapor-X 4870 1GB (I also used this guide with my old GTS 8600 successfully.)

Intel E6750

Kingston KHX8500D2T1K2/4G memory (5-5-5-18 at 2.2v)

3 SATA HD drives + 1 SATA DVD drive.

Running 10.5.8 (Vanilla install + 10.5.8 combo update + 2009-04 security update).

1st drive is dedicated to OS, I have Windows 7 and Ubuntu on the 2nd, and 3rd one is a data disk. For OSX , I use GUID with 1 Chameleon and 3 OSX partitions called Leo1, Leo2, Leo3. I use Carbon Copy Cloner to have 3 working, bootable installations of OSX on the same drive. Leo1 is the one that I work with, Leo2 is a recent, known-good clone of Leo1 that I use as a backup when I install Apple updates or do other major system surgery, and Leo3 is a minimally modified vanilla install, to be used as a 'rescue disk'.

I followed this guide with the exception of stuff relating to the graphics card, as I have an ATI 4870 and at first I could use it only in 'safe mode' (-x flag). For gfx, I followed this guide instead: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=155477 but you need to be careful because the instructions are slightly out-of-date and confusing at the moment. Basically, I did:

1. Install this: http://www.mediafire.com/?mz1leyhyolh

2. Then install this: http://rapidshare.de/files/47335568/Enable..._cards.pkg.html

3. Download this: http://rapidshare.de/files/46870770/ATY_Motmot.kext.zip.html and install.

4. Go to /system/library/extensions and open ATINDRV.kext. Go into the plugins folder and delete ATY_motmot.kext. (Otherwise it conflicts with the netkas kext that you just installed.)

This gives you QE/CI, without any major problems that I could see so far. Ofc, installing these means that the /S/L/E is no longer 'unmodified' but I couldn't get my 4870 work using just an EFI string. Thanks to drumthrasher109 for that guide and netkas for the great work on graphics drivers. BTW if anyone got a Sapphire Vapor-X 4870 1GB (which is different from other Sapphire 4870 models!) with just EFI strings, I would like to hear from them. :)

I had working sound using VoodooHDA with my old gfx card, but between installing the new one, and changing other things on my system, I lost sound. VoodooHDA seemed to be loading and 'working' but I couldn't see the 'unknown' output device under sound preferences, so couldn't hear anything. So I followed backosx's DSDT.aml guide to get my sound working. The only thing I had to do differently was again due to my gfx card. 4870 is not listed under models, and when I selected the 'generic radeon' model and left other parameters empty, the patcher crashed. Anyways, just leaving all gfx options unchanged worked fine. I used the '3outs2ins regular headphone' LegacyHDA.kext.

Because I removed the disabler.kext, CPU temp is about 10C higher, 43C at idle, but I can live with until I try the suggested fix. Again, thanks to all contributors to that guide as well. :D

I haven't tried a number of things that don't interest me (sleep, dual monitors etc), but nevertheless I am a happy hacker atm. :)

Can i get a copy of your disable.kext so i can see what i need to remove in mine to get my sleep working & that kext your using to keep the temperatures down..

The disabler I am using is here.

For VoodooPowerMini to get SpeedStep working, get it here and I amended it to get it working in /Extra/Extensions by doing this.

it was the firewire card.. it's causing all sorts of problems. kernel panic etc... all i had to do was remove the card >:-(

....but your fix for voodoopowermini worked. :-)

....right now, I have everything except, in sleep the usb message come up.

Great news about removing the firewire card. Any extra hardware you add will need to be researched by you to get it working. Yeah, the VoodooPowerMini fix does work, and you are going to have to google for the sleep USB message as I don't have it with this motherboard.

Just wanted to report my successful install using this guide and thank blackosx for his excellent work and others for their contributions. :thumbsup_anim:

I followed this guide with the exception of stuff relating to the graphics card, as I have an ATI 4870.

Thanks bero for your kind words and the comprehensive report. B)

With regards to the ATI 4870, yes netkas has been doing some remarkable work with video drivers etc. So you have done well to get it working and if it means you've had to add things to /S/L/E then so be it as in that case there's no better solution. Just remember what you've changed if an update comes out.

Well done :)

3 SATA HD drives + 1 SATA DVD drive.

Running 10.5.8 (Vanilla install + 10.5.8 combo update + 2009-04 security update).

1st drive is dedicated to OS, I have Windows 7 and Ubuntu on the 2nd, and 3rd one is a data disk. For OSX , I use GUID with 1 Chameleon and 3 OSX partitions called Leo1, Leo2, Leo3. I use Carbon Copy Cloner to have 3 working, bootable installations of OSX on the same drive. Leo1 is the one that I work with, Leo2 is a recent, known-good clone of Leo1 that I use as a backup when I install Apple updates or do other major system surgery, and Leo3 is a minimally modified vanilla install, to be used as a 'rescue disk'.

Hey bero Nice to see another hack working, blackosx guides are all excellent.

I have a question about your 3 sata drives.

How did you get windows 7 to boot under ahci settings in bios? My install has 2 seperate drives 1 for osx 1 for windows. With the ahci diaabled i can boot into windows, but cant boot into osx.

With ahci enabled i can boot into osx but not windows.

Z

As for the 'Please restart the system error'? Never seen that one..

Black box in the middle of the screen? white text "you need to restart your computer" in several different languages? It's a kernel panic screen.

Seen one of those so far. Saw one on my G4 after rearranging hard drives the other day too.

The important thing is to check the logs next time you restart to find out *why* the KP happened.

I boot into win 7 and Vista with AHCI without any problems. Don't know if this is the reason, but I use the 64 bit versions of both programs.

Hey bero Nice to see another hack working, blackosx guides are all excellent.

I have a question about your 3 sata drives.

How did you get windows 7 to boot under ahci settings in bios? My install has 2 seperate drives 1 for osx 1 for windows. With the ahci diaabled i can boot into windows, but cant boot into osx.

With ahci enabled i can boot into osx but not windows.

Z

I boot into win 7 and Vista with AHCI without any problems. Don't know if this is the reason, but I use the 64 bit versions of both programs.

This is good thinking, as like you, I also use the 64-bit versions of Vista and Win 7 and I don't have any problems with AHCI. Could this be the reason?