VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

2,213 posts in this topic

Guys, how the heck do you install these drivers? I opened the .mpkg with the Mac installer, but nothing happened. I hate to sound like a n00b, but I'm stumped. I was able to intall SL in Workstation 7 running on Win7 Ultimate x64, as well as get the VMware tools working but the sound part has me perplexed.

Thanks in advance.

Guys, how the heck do you install these drivers? I opened the .mpkg with the Mac installer, but nothing happened. I hate to sound like a n00b, but I'm stumped. I was able to intall SL in Workstation 7 running on Win7 Ultimate x64, as well as get the VMware tools working but the sound part has me perplexed.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the post. My archive was corrupted. I downloaded it again and was able to get sound working as well. Thanks to all for the awesome work.

James

First of all, a big thank you to Donk.

Donk's instructions were very simple & easy to follow. I have installed, 10.5

without any trouble. Updated to the latest 10.5.8 along with all other security

& software fixes. Only problem was the sound driver included with the package,

and I was going to eventually update to Ensoniq.

I could not get the resolution to change from 640x480, so I edited a file [can't

remember which one] & manually added 1280x800 as a valid resolution.

VMware Workstation 7.0 b203739

Windows 7

Intel Q9550

Vanilla Leopard image [dmg -> iso]

Version of Leopard 10.5 [updated to 10.5.8, also other security & software updates]

VMX & vmware.log files are in the attached archive

Q1. Is it possible to install & run 2 different versions of OS X, say 10.5 & 10.6?

If "Yes", how?

Q2. After upgrading from VMW 6.5.3 to VMW 7, guest screen is b0rked after GUI loads.

Boot screen shows perfectly without any problem. See attached screenshots.

After installing VMW 7, "OS not found" used to show up. So I ran the setup script

again and after that the OS booted just fine, except the GUI was corrupted.

Q3. Can't get 'Shared Folders' to work. We can leave this for later, until after

the GUI corruption problem is resolved.

Boot screen :

osx1051.th.png 

GUI :

osx1052.th.jpg 

osx_10.5.zip

I installed the SVGA drivers for Snow Leopard and now automatic resize doesnt work in Vmware 7 for my Snow Leopard Virtual Machine! How do I uninstall it and is there any advantage to using that driver versus leaving the default which seems to support automatic resize (I wish I had done a snapshot before installing such drivers)

I installed the SVGA drivers for Snow Leopard and now automatic resize doesnt work in Vmware 7 for my Snow Leopard Virtual Machine! How do I uninstall it and is there any advantage to using that driver versus leaving the default which seems to support automatic resize (I wish I had done a snapshot before installing such drivers)

If you download and install the guestd_patches from here:http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/files/Display/guestd_patches.tar.gz/download

then you shall find auto resizing works again. the advantage is that graphics are "accelerated" which basicaly means that there is less work on your CPU and the whole virtual machine runs faster.

First of all, a big thank you to Donk.

Donk's instructions were very simple & easy to follow. I have installed, 10.5

without any trouble. Updated to the latest 10.5.8 along with all other security

& software fixes. Only problem was the sound driver included with the package,

and I was going to eventually update to Ensoniq.

I could not get the resolution to change from 640x480, so I edited a file [can't

remember which one] & manually added 1280x800 as a valid resolution.

VMware Workstation 7.0 b203739

Windows 7

Intel Q9550

Vanilla Leopard image [dmg -> iso]

Version of Leopard 10.5 [updated to 10.5.8, also other security & software updates]

VMX & vmware.log files are in the attached archive

Q1. Is it possible to install & run 2 different versions of OS X, say 10.5 & 10.6?

If "Yes", how?

Q2. After upgrading from VMW 6.5.3 to VMW 7, guest screen is b0rked after GUI loads.

Boot screen shows perfectly without any problem. See attached screenshots.

After installing VMW 7, "OS not found" used to show up. So I ran the setup script

again and after that the OS booted just fine, except the GUI was corrupted.

Q3. Can't get 'Shared Folders' to work. We can leave this for later, until after

the GUI corruption problem is resolved.

Boot screen :

osx1051.th.png

GUI :

osx1052.th.jpg

Yes it is possible to run more than one VM under workstation, I am currently running OS X 10.5, 10.6, XP and Windows 2008. In terms of OS X 10.5 and 10.6 will need to uninstall the darwin-200 tools and then update the darwin-200 directory with the darwin.iso from the darwin-snowy zip then re-install the darwin tools. This will then allow you to support OS X Leapard and Snow Leopard, the standard darwin-200 tools do not support SL.

On the shared folders front you need to enable then in VM Workstation 7 with options enable Shared Folders for the selected VM, it will require a folder specifying on the host, I select Always enabled, and it seems to work fine.

Good luck.

sudo /bin/rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/VMsvga2*

Then reboot.

Zenith432,

I beleive in another post you mentioned not having the original VMwareGfx.kext file and the updated VMsva2.kext in the same location, to quote "replace libresolutionSet.dylib, make sure not to leave the original in the same folder." Is this an alternative solution, rather than removing the new drivers?

Donk and Zenith - THANK YOU FOR ALL THE SUPPORT! I know there are others as well. Thank you.

I am brand new to this and I read the manual and from other people trials and errors I was able to install a successful OSX SL with updates on a VMWare 7.0 WS. I have perform the patches, updates, etc.

I have a few simple noob questions so please excuse me if they seem trivial:

1) I loaded Photoshop CS4 and it loads okay. But if I press my mouse to draw a freeehand line or erase something it only senses I have pressed one on the mouse instead of holding it down. Or when I try to draw a box it doesn't allow me to set the corners. It starts at the top of the screen and draws the box to where my mouse is.

So is this Mouse related or CS4 PS being ran in VMware?

2) Would the the problem be related not bring able to install VMTools? I have tried to install the tools with the Install VMWARE tools and it says it could not find/mount the tools? I tried to look for the tools but I could not find a package to install them? Am I just not looking at the right places and they are in front of me but I can't find them?

3) Network - NAT/Bridged. - When I am at home I obviously get Internet Access and I bridge the connected instead of NAT due to the fact that SSL ports 993 and 465 will not pass through using NAT. I have to use Bridged.

But when I have my AirCard with Cingular working I have to set it to NAT to get it to work in VMWARE but obviously the ports 993 and 465 won't work.

Any suggestions? Is it a VMX edit that I need to perform?

Otherwise everything seems to be hoping along well. I don't use the VMWare Mac OSX SL for production work but its nice to play around with it. I am a Windows guy but I like to tinker.

Thank you very much once again for all the support this community has provided to each other.

I beleive in another post you mentioned not having the original VMwareGfx.kext file and the updated VMsva2.kext in the same location.
What I said was not to leave multiple copies of libresolutionSet.dylib in '/Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/Plugins/System'.

VMsvga2.kext and VMwareGfx.kext can coexist in /System/Library/Extensions. VMsvga2 has a higher probe score, so it will get loaded if it's there. It's just the VMware Tools patch that cannot coexist with the original, since both dylibs get loaded and conflict.

Is this an alternative solution, rather than removing the new drivers?
An alternative to what? mcq3000 asked how to remove VMsvga2, so I explained how. Mac OS X does not have a generic uninstall mechanism, so even if an application or driver is installed by an installation package, it's not obvious how to remove it.

What I said was not to leave multiple copies of libresolutionSet.dylib in '/Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/Plugins/System'.

VMsvga2.kext and VMwareGfx.kext can coexist in /System/Library/Extensions. VMsvga2 has a higher probe score, so it will get loaded if it's there. It's just the VMware Tools patch that cannot coexist with the original, since both dylibs get loaded and conflict.

An alternative to what? mcq3000 asked how to remove VMsvga2, so I explained how. Mac OS X does not have a generic uninstall mechanism, so even if an application or driver is installed by an installation package, it's not obvious how to remove it.

Sorry I was not trying to annoy you, with a stupid question.

I was hoping to clarify the location of the .dylib files, and that it may offer a resolution to automatic scaling issues.

An alternative to what? I was trying to suggest that the non scaling issue, may be due to the .dylib conflict, and therefore worth checking before resorting to deleting the updated video drivers, which is explained in your post.

Yours humbly,

Mac SofK.

Hi,

I'm new here and come with problems :D .

My first problem:

I tried to use VMware Workstation 7 on Windows 7 and I followed the manual.pdf to install MAC. But VMware showed me following message before I could do anything.

"Mac OS X is not supported with software virtualization. To run Mac OS X you need a host on which VMware Workstation supports hardware virtualization."

Another problem:

I used your old pre-config VM On Workstation 6.5 for sometimes and successfully update 10.5.6 to 10.5.7. Then I installed iPhone SDK, XCode always crashes on openning. If XCode doesnot crash, the others will crash instead.

I don't know how to solve this problem, so I decided to install new one and the fist problem knocked me.

Got a bit of a problem here. I'm running Snow Leopard, Leopard and iATKOS v7 all in Workstation 7 but they're all assigned the same MAC address and cannot get online or communicate with each other. :blink:

I used the basic "100" zip file with the Darwin-64 as the basis for each VM with the modifications as listed in the OP. I see that the preconfigured VMX has a preset MAC Address, is there anyway to edit it without causing KP (as editing it so far has caused 10.5.6 to KP each time I try to connect to the internet or network.

Is there another way to get the MAC Address to get regenerated for each individual VM?

Or would it be best to recreate the VMX files as per the "200" zip file instructions?

According to my last reply:

Hi,

I'm new here and come with problems :( .

My first problem:

I tried to use VMware Workstation 7 ...

Another problem:

I used your old pre-config ...

I found the solution for my second problem. It is about VT of my Laptop (Lenovo Y550 disabled my VT :D ). The discussion is here: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-and-...p/170066/page/4

Thanks Donk for VMware Solution

Thanks middleton for VT Solution

However,...

I have a problem again. The sound driver included in the package(AppleAC97Audio.kext) isn't nice at all :wacko: . Do you have any solution around this issue? :)

By this time, I can't say enough thanks you

BIG THANKS

According to my last reply:

I found the solution for my second problem. It is about VT of my Laptop (Lenovo Y550 disabled my VT :( ). The discussion is here: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-and-...p/170066/page/4

Thanks Donk for VMware Solution

Thanks middleton for VT Solution

However,...

I have a problem again. The sound driver included in the package(AppleAC97Audio.kext) isn't nice at all :( . Do you have any solution around this issue? :(

By this time, I can't say enough thanks you

BIG THANKS

Zenith432 has done a great sound driver on project VMsvga2 EnsoniqAudioPCI version 1.0.2 link below:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/fi...tar.gz/download

This gives good audio and resolves most of the poor sound issues.

Good luck.

Mac SofK

Zenith432 has done a great sound driver on project VMsvga2 EnsoniqAudioPCI version 1.0.2 link below:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/fi...tar.gz/download

This gives good audio and resolves most of the poor sound issues.

Good luck.

Mac SofK

If that link does not work go to the following, it also has mouse, and video drivers as well.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/files/

Cheers.

Got a bit of a problem here. I'm running Snow Leopard, Leopard and iATKOS v7 all in Workstation 7 but they're all assigned the same MAC address and cannot get online or communicate with each other. :(

I used the basic "100" zip file with the Darwin-64 as the basis for each VM with the modifications as listed in the OP. I see that the preconfigured VMX has a preset MAC Address, is there anyway to edit it without causing KP (as editing it so far has caused 10.5.6 to KP each time I try to connect to the internet or network.

Is there another way to get the MAC Address to get regenerated for each individual VM?

Or would it be best to recreate the VMX files as per the "200" zip file instructions?

For SL I would uninstall the VM tools, unzip the darwin-200 and add the darwin.iso from the snowy zip, then re-install, also change the GuestOS to darwin10-64 in your .vmx file.

In terms of networking have you tried running in bridged mode rather than NAT, as it picks up a physical address from a DHCP Server (broadband router, etc), if you have one. Works well for me.

Cheers,

Mac SofK

Hey, Mac SofK :D

I can't believe!!!. I did install the audio and video driver package you provied. My sound is really better and I can change to the higher resolution now. :)

Thanks Mac SofK for Audio and Video.

However,...(I got a problem again.)

Sometimes, when I'm typing, usually coding, my keyboard just repeat a key pressed by me. Like someone hold the key.

Something likes this:

dddddddddddddddddddddd...

even worse when the key is backspace.

I tried to notice how it is occurred but I just don't get it. T-T

Sometimes, when I'm typing, usually coding, my keyboard just repeat a key pressed by me. Like someone hold the key.

Something likes this:

I used to get this when using thr Voodoo.iso on VMWorkstation 6.5...never found a fix. ^_^

Hey, Mac SofK ^_^

I can't believe!!!. I did install the audio and video driver package you provied. My sound is really better and I can change to the higher resolution now. :D

Thanks Mac SofK for Audio and Video.

Something likes this:

Have you tried the following lines in your .vmx file

keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

If they do not change anything try setting then to "FALSE"

P.S. I mearly pointed you in the right direction, credit should go to Zenith432 who wrote the drivers.

But thanks anyway, only trying to help!

Cheers,

Mac SofK

Thanks for the help thus far Mac Son, sound works great in vmware

However after installing the svgadriver and losing resize I downloaded the library you listed. I copied the files and extracted it to my desktop. I went to the terminal and typed the following commands after I cd to my desktop

sudo chown 0:0 libresolutionSet.dylib*

sudo /bin/cp -p libresolutionSet.dylib.3.0 '/Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/Plugins/System/libresolutionSet.dylib'

It took the first command but when I ran the second command it said

No such file or directory

In Terminal I am in the Desktop directory for my profile. I also have vmware tools installed. Any reason why i get that error message for the second sudo command?

Have you tried the following lines in your .vmx file

If they do not change anything try setting then to "FALSE"

P.S. I mearly pointed you in the right direction, credit should go to Zenith432 who wrote the drivers.

But thanks anyway, only trying to help!

Cheers,

Mac SofK

Thanks for your response.

I tried both "TRUE" and "FALSE"

keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE" doesn't solve the problem

keyboard.vusb.enable = "FALSE" does solve it but the window button is not function. So I can't use any shortcut.

T-T

Hi,

I have the exact same problem.

My first problem:

I tried to use VMware Workstation 7 on Windows 7 and I followed the manual.pdf to install MAC. But VMware showed me following message before I could do anything.

"Mac OS X is not supported with software virtualization. To run Mac OS X you need a host on which VMware Workstation supports hardware virtualization."

Computer: Acer aspire 3810tg (BIOS v 1.10)

VMWare Workstation 7

Iso of my retail SL-DVD

When I change guest-os to "winnt" (because of my cpu) I got past that error, but get that nasty "disabling cpu"-error (invalid front-side bus frequency 66000000 hz).

I would really be glad if one could help be because I need OSX here to improve my freeware that I created a few months ago on my ooooold iBook G4 ;-)

My vmx looks like this:

.encoding = "windows-1252"

config.version = "8"

virtualHW.version = "7"

maxvcpus = "4"

scsi0.present = "TRUE"

memsize = "2048"

scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0:0.fileName = "OSX.vmdk"

ide1:0.present = "TRUE"

ide1:0.fileName = "I:"

ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"

floppy0.startConnected = "FALSE"

floppy0.fileName = ""

floppy0.autodetect = "TRUE"

ethernet0.present = "TRUE"

ethernet0.connectionType = "nat"

ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"

ethernet0.addressType = "generated"

sound.present = "TRUE"

sound.fileName = "-1"

sound.autodetect = "TRUE"

pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge4.functions = "8"

pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge5.functions = "8"

pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge6.functions = "8"

pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge7.functions = "8"

vmci0.present = "TRUE"

roamingVM.exitBehavior = "go"

displayName = "OSX"

guestOS = "winnt"

nvram = "OSX.nvram"

virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"

extendedConfigFile = "OSX.vmxf"

ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:3c:86:05"

uuid.location = "56 4d 7f 8b 53 05 ee 02-2e 35 1c 06 26 3c 86 05"

uuid.bios = "56 4d 7f 8b 53 05 ee 02-2e 35 1c 06 26 3c 86 05"

cleanShutdown = "FALSE"

replay.supported = "FALSE"

replay.filename = ""

scsi0:0.redo = ""

pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"

pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"

pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"

pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"

pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"

scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"

ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "32"

sound.pciSlotNumber = "33"

vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "34"

vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "16777216"

ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"

vmci0.id = "641500677"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

#PAEVM="TRUE"

and I have tried all things that I could find without any success :-/

Hi,

I have the exact same problem.

Computer: Acer aspire 3810tg (BIOS v 1.10)

VMWare Workstation 7

Iso of my retail SL-DVD

When I change guest-os to "winnt" (because of my cpu) I got past that error, but get that nasty "disabling cpu"-error (invalid front-side bus frequency 66000000 hz).

I would really be glad if one could help be because I need OSX here to improve my freeware that I created a few months ago on my ooooold iBook G4 ;-)

My vmx looks like this:

and I have tried all things that I could find without any success :-/

OK, First not sure if the processor in your Acer Aspire supports Intel VT-X, a must to get OS X to run under Workstation7, you need to confirm, otherwise you are wasting your time, well currectly anyway.

Second the guestOS needs to be darwin10 or darwin10-64 to support SL, and you need to install the darwin-200 updated with the darwin-iso from the snowy zip to have any hope of installing SL.

I would use your original SL DVD rather than the .iso, if you have managed to confirm VT-X support and installed the modified darwin-200 tools, read Donk's first post in the topic, and amended your .vmx file.

Good luck!

Mac SofK