VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

2,213 posts in this topic

Okay let's calm down, I've read the manual and that only applies to original and untouched copies of Leopard right? If not my bad,

I added the "UPDATE 3: " Lines to the VMX file.

My CPU supports 64 / VTX Im not having problems with Keyboards nor anything else, it's just that I can't get past Chameleon.

I also an Original copy of Leopard, should I just try to install that with Darwin?

How do you want to load the DSDT? That way I can see what the best method would be for a loader ISO.

Hi Donk,

It would be nice if boot (the boot load file inside the ISO) could load it from somewhere say / in the virtual machine so that we won't have to change the ISO. Or just tell me what the options are :unsure:

Thanks!

Okay let's calm down, I've read the manual and that only applies to original and untouched copies of Leopard right? If not my bad,

I added the "UPDATE 3: " Lines to the VMX file.

My CPU supports 64 / VTX Im not having problems with Keyboards nor anything else, it's just that I can't get past Chameleon.

I also an Original copy of Leopard, should I just try to install that with Darwin?

I suggest that if you want a chance of having a working VMware session then you can try the steps here using retail DVD. If you want to carry on with your experiment then create a new thread as others who may have tried your setup may have answers for you.

Hi Donk,

It would be nice if boot (the boot load file inside the ISO) could load it from somewhere say / in the virtual machine so that we won't have to change the ISO. Or just tell me what the options are ;)

Thanks!

Well as I said there are no options to do this using the VMware loader. It was actually written by David Elliot (VMware paid him for the work) of boot-132 fame but is from code nearly 2 years old before all the new features such as EFI and DSDT and all the goodies we now have were available. I am researching using Chameleon 2.0 RC3 CDBOOT but it isn't reliable enough to release yet. Note that VMware's BIOS has a DSDT table which is suitable for the virtual hardware, and so they don't use any hacks to get the tables correctly setup.

Are your changes static, that is once made they remain the same? I have done VMware BIOS mods before and maybe possible if you supply me with a compiled AML file I could build a one off BIOS. I also assume you will be deriving it from the one in the VMware BIOS?

Hi all, first thanks a lot for this wonderful method <_<

I post because I made a successful install of 10.5.6 retail then updated 10.5.8 but so far I have a very laggy system .. I don't think it's a performance problem because the last ubuntu is running very smoothly while I allocated it much less resources ..

I use VMWare server 2.0.2 on windows seven home premium x64 with a core 2 duo ULV su7300.

Another problem is when I try to install VMtools, I have this message :

WMware Tools is not supported on this guest OS.

Isn't any way to install snow leopard on my config ?

Thanks in advance !

I finally solved my lag problem by going through VMWare Player ..

But now, I want to benefit of the snow support. I reinstalled the pack, replaced my darwin.iso with the snowy one.

When I boot the machine with the cd connected, I have a "no operating System found" even when I try to force the cd boot with ESC.

With the same CD connected to the same host, but only putting back the original darwin.iso, cd boots, install begins but the point with many colors keeps rolling eternally ..

Can any provide any help ?

Same config, same vmx with darwin10 changed for guestos ..

Just a tip for anyone upgrading from VMware Workstation 6 to 7 and wanting to continue using a MAC OS v10xx guest created with Workstation v6.

If you previously modified the "com.apple.Boot.plist." to give a custom resolution be advised to remove the mod before updating to VMware v7. I found out the hard way that it's not compatible and resulted in a completely messed up and unviewable screen for me.

I had to re-install v6 again to remove the graphic mod. No need to worry though after updating to v7 many more resolutions can be picked from within the OS.

After sorting out the existing guest I followed this quick guide to add a Snow Leopard guest, thanks satmonkey...

Kudos! for this tip. Definately saved me from walking into this trap. I had just updated my linux host and dropped on the new workstation 7, and decided to try out the latest vmware-darwin-200 pkg on my existing leopard install. Figure i'd peruse the board and I saw your note just before I did the vm upgrade, so I just dropped the resolution mod from the .plist first, installed workstation 7, re-ran the setup.sh from -200, and voila! Thanks again! This tip should most certainly be added to the Manual!

The keyboard lag issues I was experiencing before seem gone as well. cheers, tca.

I suggest that if you want a chance of having a working VMware session then you can try the steps here using retail DVD. If you want to carry on with your experiment then create a new thread as others who may have tried your setup may have answers for you.

Well as I said there are no options to do this using the VMware loader. It was actually written by David Elliot (VMware paid him for the work) of boot-132 fame but is from code nearly 2 years old before all the new features such as EFI and DSDT and all the goodies we now have were available. I am researching using Chameleon 2.0 RC3 CDBOOT but it isn't reliable enough to release yet. Note that VMware's BIOS has a DSDT table which is suitable for the virtual hardware, and so they don't use any hacks to get the tables correctly setup.

Are your changes static, that is once made they remain the same? I have done VMware BIOS mods before and maybe possible if you supply me with a compiled AML file I could build a one off BIOS. I also assume you will be deriving it from the one in the VMware BIOS?

Donk,

I did try to point ChronoZ in the right direction, maybe I did not put it as strongly as you, will try to do better. Helping to lighten your load, well trying!

Mac SofK

Could someone answer this simple question please, Will I be able to run Mac OS X Leopard on my machine either using VMware or via Real Installation with my current specs?

That's all I really need to know for now, and please share any related posts regarding Mac OS X on P4, there are not that many.

Clevo D900T Laptop - 32Bit Machine - 1 Processor.

CPU::- 3.4GHz 650 (S-LGA775) @ 800MHz-FSB -2MB-Ch- Genuine Intel Pentium 4 with HT Technology

Memory:- 2GB/2048MB DDR2-533 RAM

Hard Drive:- 2x *SATA* 100GB 5400RPM HDD = 200GB-HDD

500GB Portable WD

Graphics:- Geforce 7800-GTX

Thanks.

Well as I said there are no options to do this using the VMware loader....

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but are you saying that you can't replace the boot file in the ISO with one that loads the DSDT? If that's the case, then why did this AMI guy tell me that they are using VMware?

And I'm not interested in the VMware BIOS/DSDT. All I want (need really) is to let boot load my DSDT over the one in the VMware BIOS. That must be possible. I think.

I mean I know binutils (objdump/objcopy) and thus should be able to extract the file and use something like: bios440.filename = "path/to/file/bios.rom" in the VMX file with debugStub.listen.guest[32/64].remote = "TRUE" to connect to it on port 8832. Right? But hey... maybe there's an even better (easier) way you can provide?

What's the catch here? Why didn't you tell me how I can make that ISO myself? If you can't or won't help me, then please say so and I won't bother you anymore , but never mind me being in a rush :P

Thanks.

Just want to say thanks and inform

Was having a play with retail Snow Leopard (10.6) on VMware Workstation v7 under Windows 7 x64 and it worked.

I just followed the guide:

1. Swapped the leopard darwin.iso for the snow leopard darwin.iso then ran the setup batch file
  2. Used a freebsd 64 virtual pc & physical DVD
  3. Modified the vmx according to guide
  4. Powered on, waited (probs. 10 mins to get to install screen), started installing ... then I wandered off... Came back an hour later, had finished installing but had frozen on the select a country screen.
  5. (If frozen, otherwise keep going) Reset the virtual pc, came back to the same screen working fine.
  6. Finished setting up and haven't had any problems, mouse even swaps guest<>vm transparently :D .

Now I can make my hackintosh flash drive and jailbreak my iPhone, giggls, on a Mac, through windows.

Haven't tried updating yet...

thanks for all the info & files

JT

Hello!

First I would like to thank you for the amazing things you've done and patience for continuing! I really admire your patience but most of all, your enthusiasm and knowledge!

I succesfully installed Mac OS X 10.5 with voodoo kernel, following your test voodoo manual. It works, it really works! I have Intel Core 2 Quad, 8 GB of RAM, Abit IP35 Pro etc. I've installed first VMware tools and then installed zenth432's amazing audio (rebuildt kext and ensoniq plugin) and video driver. Audio is working amazing now, no more choppy audio (there's a little lag, just milisecond and I think it's because OS X doesn't recognize CPU correctly, will try on of the manuals on this site to fix it). Graphics are amazing, works flawless for a virtual machine! Now I am downloading new Mac OS updates. I have plans to upgrade to Snow Leopard in next 15 days so I'll keep you informed. Please feel free to contact me if I can help! : )

Best to you!

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but are you saying that you can't replace the boot file in the ISO with one that loads the DSDT? If that's the case, then why did this AMI guy tell me that they are using VMware?

And I'm not interested in the VMware BIOS/DSDT. All I want (need really) is to let boot load my DSDT over the one in the VMware BIOS. That must be possible. I think.

I mean I know binutils (objdump/objcopy) and thus should be able to extract the file and use something like: bios440.filename = "path/to/file/bios.rom" in the VMX file with debugStub.listen.guest[32/64].remote = "TRUE" to connect to it on port 8832. Right? But hey... maybe there's an even better (easier) way you can provide?

What's the catch here? Why didn't you tell me how I can make that ISO myself? If you can't or won't help me, then please say so and I won't bother you anymore , but never mind me being in a rush :)

Thanks.

There is no catch, or big secret, I just don't think you will get what you want currently, but I am happy to proven wrong. This will rebuild the boot cd as supplied by VMware. The changes I make are adding in a modified boot2 file which removes the restriction on being Server only, and update the initrd ram disk with additional extensions to run on non-Fusion supported hardware. You can ignore the VMware tools installer if you are just hacking around, and want to cut down on the size of the image.

1. Using a Mac OS X here, not got this working on anything else.

2. Extract the darwin.iso contents you are using to boot to a folder, let's call it "darwin" including all the hidden files.

3. There will be a folder called .hiddendir and the boot file is in there. Replace with yours.

4. Run the following from the parent folder of "darwin":

hdiutil makehybrid -o darwin.iso darwin/ -iso -hfs -joliet -eltorito-boot darwin/.hiddendir/cdboot -no-emul-boot -hfs-volume-name "Darwin" -joliet-volume-name "Darwin" -ov

5. Copy to the installer folder on the host and run setup uninstall & setup install to put in correct place and re-sign the sha1 digest.

However as I said before you would need a Chameleon based boot CD, and this one isn't based on Chameleon. Or take the original DFE boot-132 code and add the DSDT pacthing into the more basic loader used here, whilst keeping it below 128K in size. If you want to try Chameleon there are tutorials out there on building a Chameleon based cd boot image, and you will need to take the extensions from the initrd here and use them to build the PreBoot ram image. (Also I think there are now some good tools to do that as well.)

Good luck and keep me informed, as i am also trying to get Chameleon working reliably if you make progress on this front. Just to be cheeky what are you actually trying to test that needs? If you post a link (or PM me) about the AMI stuff I may be able to decipher what they are talking about in terms of VMware.

Donk,

I did try to point ChronoZ in the right direction, maybe I did not put it as strongly as you, will try to do better. Helping to lighten your load, well trying!

Mac SofK

Appreciate that and please keep helping. I should not have reacted to the comment made about not really having read anything.

Hello!

First I would like to thank you for the amazing things you've done and patience for continuing! I really admire your patience but most of all, your enthusiasm and knowledge!

I succesfully installed Mac OS X 10.5 with voodoo kernel, following your test voodoo manual. It works, it really works! I have Intel Core 2 Quad, 8 GB of RAM, Abit IP35 Pro etc. I've installed first VMware tools and then installed zenth432's amazing audio (rebuildt kext and ensoniq plugin) and video driver. Audio is working amazing now, no more choppy audio (there's a little lag, just milisecond and I think it's because OS X doesn't recognize CPU correctly, will try on of the manuals on this site to fix it). Graphics are amazing, works flawless for a virtual machine! Now I am downloading new Mac OS updates. I have plans to upgrade to Snow Leopard in next 15 days so I'll keep you informed. Please feel free to contact me if I can help! : )

Best to you!

Thanks for your feedback.

Just want to say thanks and inform

Was having a play with retail Snow Leopard (10.6) on VMware Workstation v7 under Windows 7 x64 and it worked.

I just followed the guide:

1. Swapped the leopard darwin.iso for the snow leopard darwin.iso then ran the setup batch file
  2. Used a freebsd 64 virtual pc & physical DVD
  3. Modified the vmx according to guide
  4. Powered on, waited (probs. 10 mins to get to install screen), started installing ... then I wandered off... Came back an hour later, had finished installing but had frozen on the select a country screen.
  5. (If frozen, otherwise keep going) Reset the virtual pc, came back to the same screen working fine.
  6. Finished setting up and haven't had any problems, mouse even swaps guest<>vm transparently :D .

Now I can make my hackintosh flash drive and jailbreak my iPhone, giggls, on a Mac, through windows.

Haven't tried updating yet...

thanks for all the info & files

JT

Glad to hear it went OK.

Could someone answer this simple question please, Will I be able to run Mac OS X Leopard on my machine either using VMware or via Real Installation with my current specs?

That's all I really need to know for now, and please share any related posts regarding Mac OS X on P4, there are not that many.

Clevo D900T Laptop - 32Bit Machine - 1 Processor.

CPU::- 3.4GHz 650 (S-LGA775) @ 800MHz-FSB -2MB-Ch- Genuine Intel Pentium 4 with HT Technology

Memory:- 2GB/2048MB DDR2-533 RAM

Hard Drive:- 2x *SATA* 100GB 5400RPM HDD = 200GB-HDD

500GB Portable WD

Graphics:- Geforce 7800-GTX

Thanks.

If CPU 32-bit and no VT-x extensions then VMware won't work.

For Master Chief

I have a Chameleon boot iso now working although it isn't as polished as the VMware solution. That should allow you to dump DSDT files onto the root of the booting partition(?). Anyway attached here is the image:

1. Once again drop over existing darwin.iso (backup first) then run setup to uninstall and install

2. When booting make sure the virtual CD for the guest is set to connect at boot or potential endless ebios errors are displayed.

3. It does leave the boot cd mounted unlike VMware solution, and I am discussing with Zef (from Chameleon fame) how to add the auto-eject behaviour into the code.

4. No VMware tools installer to save space.

Finally the command to rebuild if you want to try it is slightly different:

hdiutil makehybrid -o darwin.iso darwin/ -iso -hfs -joliet -eltorito-boot darwin/cdboot -no-emul-boot -hfs-volume-name "Darwin" -joliet-volume-name "Darwin" -ov

The file is located here: http://www.filedropper.com/darwin-dsdt

For everyone else please do not use this yet.

For Master Chief

I have a Chameleon boot iso now working although it isn't as polished as the VMware solution. That should allow you to dump DSDT files onto the root of the booting partition(?). Anyway attached here is the image:

1. Once again drop over existing darwin.iso (backup first) then run setup to uninstall and install

2. When booting make sure the virtual CD for the guest is set to connect at boot or potential endless ebios errors are displayed.

3. It does leave the boot cd mounted unlike VMware solution, and I am discussing with Zef (from Chameleon fame) how to add the auto-eject behaviour into the code.

4. No VMware tools installer to save space.

Finally the command to rebuild if you want to try it is slightly different:

hdiutil makehybrid -o darwin.iso darwin/ -iso -hfs -joliet -eltorito-boot darwin/cdboot -no-emul-boot -hfs-volume-name "Darwin" -joliet-volume-name "Darwin" -ov

The file is located here: http://www.filedropper.com/darwin-dsdt

Aha. I see. I used a similar command to install my retail setup. Let me get cracking on it after dinner.

Thanks my friend! And for both posts of course :o

Hello Donk,

Well, thanks for all the help with this, like I wrote in my previous message, I got the "can't install on this machine" message, like you said, I was using "a grey restore DVD which is tied to a specific model".

I don't know all the programing stuff, but since I have access to the original computer, I had to try something to make it workable, here is the result... using an external USB HDD, I did a Time Machine backup and then, I restore it to my virtual computer, and guess what?!

Thanks again, keep up the good work!

If CPU

32-bit and no VT-x extensions then VMware won't work.

hmm, thanks for reply. Unfourtunatly I don't have VT-x extensions but I am investigating if there is any way around it.

Does this also apply if I want to install Mac OS X and run it natively? please help with this question.

Thanks

Hello Donk,

Well, thanks for all the help with this, like I wrote in my previous message, I got the "can't install on this machine" message, like you said, I was using "a grey restore DVD which is tied to a specific model".

I don't know all the programing stuff, but since I have access to the original computer, I had to try something to make it workable, here is the result... using an external USB HDD, I did a Time Machine backup and then, I restore it to my virtual computer, and guess what?!

Thanks again, keep up the good work!

Good idea. I do boot an image of my real Mac from USB occasionally in VMware.

hmm, thanks for reply. Unfourtunatly I don't have VT-x extensions but I am investigating if there is any way around it.

Does this also apply if I want to install Mac OS X and run it natively? please help with this question.

Thanks

None that I am aware of and spent a long time looking at this, and 10 years with VMware products. It does not apply if you are running natively and for that there are other forum areas on this site that would be able to answer the question better than this particular one.

None that I am aware of and spent a long time looking at this, and 10 years with VMware products. It does not apply if you are running natively and for that there are other forum areas on this site that would be able to answer the question better than this particular one.

Thank you for replying Donk, I will keep on searching to get it working natively.

Donk / Zenith432,

A couple of questions and an update, firstly the update.

I have been slogging away failing to get OS X Leopard or Snow Leopard retail DVD's to run on my hardware, an HP Z400 Workstation Intel Xeon W3520 2.66GHz Quad Core with HT and Turbo, 8GB RAM etc. Definately has all the VT stuff and is enabled, running Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit and now VMware Workstation 7 (Build 203739). Have used all the relevant .vmx changes, even converted the .dmg file to .iso using UltraISO, which was fun without a "real Mac", and installed darwin-200 with snowy update. But always just get to either the grey apple screen, or not even that far.

I was just about to try the Voodoo patch, following comments in this topic re Quad Core processors i.e. Q6600 and Core i7, when I decided to give the original DVD's one last try, having gone to the released version of Workstation 7, and halliluyah I have a working VM of both Leopard and Snow Leopard patched and up to date, I will post the .vmx if anyone is interested, but looks much as I have seen previously in this topic. The performance seems pretty good as well, big thanks once again for all the hard work of Donk.

So my questions are, would the Voodoo update be of any value, now I have a working OS X, and will I gain any advantage from the Video (VMsvga2_1.1.1_for_SnowLeopard) and Sound (EnsoniqAudioPCI_1.0.2_for_SnowLeopard) patches Zenith432 has posted.

I guess sound would be a good idea, but I can already choose multiple screen resolutions without the Video patch.

Finally can you or someone point me in the right direction for installation instructions re the Video and Sound patches, as I am a bit of a luddite when it comes to Linux / OS X command line.

Cheers,

Mac SofK

Tried darwin tools 2.0 with VmWare 7. After installaton cannot boot to MacOs 1.5.8.

Here is the screen

macosx20091105144048.th.png

How can I uninstall those tools? Or I have to just reinstall MacOS X?

Someone may be able to point you in the right direction but this thread is for Retail OS X not any of the Hackintosh versions and the tools were built to work with a vanilla kernel.

Donk / Zenith432,

A couple of questions and an update, firstly the update.

I have been slogging away failing to get OS X Leopard or Snow Leopard retail DVD's to run on my hardware, an HP Z400 Workstation Intel Xeon W3520 2.66GHz Quad Core with HT and Turbo, 8GB RAM etc. Definately has all the VT stuff and is enabled, running Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit and now VMware Workstation 7 (Build 203739). Have used all the relevant .vmx changes, even converted the .dmg file to .iso using UltraISO, which was fun without a "real Mac", and installed darwin-200 with snowy update. But always just get to either the grey apple screen, or not even that far.

I was just about to try the Voodoo patch, following comments in this topic re Quad Core processors i.e. Q6600 and Core i7, when I decided to give the original DVD's one last try, having gone to the released version of Workstation 7, and halliluyah I have a working VM of both Leopard and Snow Leopard patched and up to date, I will post the .vmx if anyone is interested, but looks much as I have seen previously in this topic. The performance seems pretty good as well, big thanks once again for all the hard work of Donk.

So my questions are, would the Voodoo update be of any value, now I have a working OS X, and will I gain any advantage from the Video (VMsvga2_1.1.1_for_SnowLeopard) and Sound (EnsoniqAudioPCI_1.0.2_for_SnowLeopard) patches Zenith432 has posted.

I guess sound would be a good idea, but I can already choose multiple screen resolutions without the Video patch.

Finally can you or someone point me in the right direction for installation instructions re the Video and Sound patches, as I am a bit of a luddite when it comes to Linux / OS X command line.

Cheers,

Mac SofK

Voodoo won't run SL so stick to the setup you have. Audio works well for me using Zenith432's drivers, but I haven't installed his video driver as don't need the 3D capabilities.

Voodoo won't run SL so stick to the setup you have. Audio works well for me using Zenith432's drivers, but I haven't installed his video driver as don't need the 3D capabilities.

Donk,

Thanks for the heads up, do you have any instructions regarding the installation of Zenith432's sound and video drivers, or a link?

Mac SofK

Donk,

Thanks for the heads up, do you have any instructions regarding the installation of Zenith432's sound and video drivers, or a link?

Mac SofK

This is the project page VMsvga2and there are several threads here that he started on the drivers.