HINT: GIGABYTE BIOSes with newest+fast AHCI-BIOS included

69 posts in this topic

Guys, I have a P35-DS3R, I don't understand what's this about??

Beside other things may updated by BIOS (new cpus-IDS,...) AHCI BIOS part of the BIOS is used if you use AHCI native (not IDE mode SATA drives / not IDE drives) SATA drives.

The much newer AHCI Bios part (inside the newer BIOS BIOS) boots much faster - thats the main information for that threat.

Also some new (new AHCI bios part) Intel 965 GA BIOSes are alavilable since a few days.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let anyone know that's running the EP45-DS5 or EP45-UD3R, there are some BIOS mods that were just released yesterday with AHCI 1.20E support! Hit the link.... I am personally running the UD3R one and boot times are cut by approx. 10 seconds.

EP45-DS5 F12 BIOS with AHCI 1.20E

http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/7/...1/ep45ds5m.f12

EP45-UD3R F10c with AHCI 1.20E:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/7/.....;/EP45UD3Rm.10c

kk

• 2 weeks later...

A MUST !! (really):

Do an "Load optimized defaults.." after the BIOS update.

If not some RAM Timings may be wrong / in real (CPU-Z) other as shown. System may get instable / OC didnt work anymore.../ Ram Timings getting slow

Nothing to do with AHCI, do always that with GA Bios updates.

• 3 weeks later...

grabbed bios F9 for my mobo (see sig, it's rev 1), unzipped the .exe in winxp, copied it to a freshly formatted FAT32 usb stick. went into q-flash, navigated to the file, and got an error while it was reading the file. can't remember the exact text of the error but it was some type of mismatch error. anyone had this and figured a workaround?

• 3 weeks later...

I am trying to update to the latest version of the G33M-S2 bios.

Q-flash on this mobo does not seem to support USB drives, though. It looks for a floppy drive (I haven't owned a floppy drive since last century.)

And as I do not have access to a Windows PC (nor Parallels) I don't know how to make a bootable USB stick to run the standalone Gigabyte flash utility.

Any thoughts?

Q-flash on this mobo does not seem to support USB drives, though. It looks for a floppy drive (I haven't owned a floppy drive since last century.) And as I do not have access to a Windows PC (nor Parallels) I don't know how to make a bootable USB stick to run the standalone Gigabyte flash utility.

Any thoughts?

Normally Q-flash works with USB perfect!

- the USB Stick must not be bootable, an empty (only the BIOS file on it) but FAT formated stick is enough

- NO NTFS, NO HFS+ Filesystems, only FAT !!

- you must have legancy support for USB enabled in the BIOS

Does the F11 BIOS for the EP45-UD3R (rev 1.1) include the fast AHCI?

YES, all updated BIOS since last 6 weeks include that AHCI 1.20E. 10F (last ) also includes AHCI 1.20E so 11 too.

Normally Q-flash works with USB perfect!

- the USB Stick must not be bootable, an empty (only the BIOS file on it) but FAT formated stick is enough

- NO NTFS, NO HFS+ Filesystems, only FAT !!

- you must have legancy support for USB enabled in the BIOS

Thanks for the reply.

I formatted the USB to FAT32, and I have legacy support on. But I will double check and try again with a different USB stick.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I want to be sure that updating will not brick my new and shiny SL install: will I need to create a new DSDT.aml after I upgrade the BIOS? Currently, I use DSDT for audio, ethernet, reset CMOS fix and EHCI/UHCI. My board is a P35-DS3P rev. 1.1, by the way.

Q-flash on this mobo does not seem to support USB drives, though. It looks for a floppy drive (I haven't owned a floppy drive since last century.)

Any thoughts?

I had this exact same problem on my board (G33M-DS2R), I'm not sure exactly what worked in the end but here's what I did:

1) Formatted USB stick as FAT.

2) Added just the BIOS file to the stick.

3) Put the stick in the slot before booting.

4) Oh, and I thought it hadn't worked because in Q-Flash the stick was listed (helpfully!) under 'floppy A'. i.e. I think if you hit 'return' on floppy A you can then select the USB stick.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I want to be sure that updating will not brick my new and shiny SL install: will I need to create a new DSDT.aml after I upgrade the BIOS? Currently, I use DSDT for audio, ethernet, reset CMOS fix and EHCI/UHCI. My board is a P35-DS3P rev. 1.1, by the way.

Good question !!

I would do that - means getting out dsdt.dsl from new bios and put in the changes you made from the old bios (old dsdt.dsl) into that.

Normally most things which are in dsdt wont change with new bios but you never now that.

I would take that time to make an really fitting new dsdt - its less work, because you have already the dsdt.old and must only copy the patched parts.

Dont forget to LOAD optimizrd bios defaults after first reboot with new bios - otherways often you get an instable system because some memory timings (internal) get mixed up.

So :

1. DL new bios

2. Make an new dsdt with old dsdt and new dsdt_unpatched, save old (working dsdt) on some place

2.a perpare USB stick for qflash, copy new dsdst to its place

3. reboot , Qdosh flash

4. reboot, load optimized bios defaults

5 set your bios options again (dont use F12 to load old ones)

6. reboot