[Guide] GA-EP45-UD3 retail install guide!

Scottapotamas

Gigabyte Boards  

442 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a Gigabyte board(s)???

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is it a EP45, EP45C or EP45T board?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. What are you using it for/ how did you install???

• I use Windows or linux of some description
    • I use Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) or 10.4 (Tiger)
    • I installed OSX using a distro... (iPC, iAtkos, Kalyway etc)
    • I installed a retail setup. (Guide below or other guide) (or made it up as I went along)
    • I am still installing

171 posts in this topic

Awesome writeup!

Between your guide here and the one posted here (http://leopardsoup.pbworks.com/ud3p ) by Weaksauce, I now have an awesome triple-boot system (using Chameleon 2, Ubuntu64, Windows7-RC, and Retail/upgraded Leo 10.5.7).

The only glitch was getting sound to work, but I found the right kexts, so now _everything_ seems to work, even sleep.

Well, I wish I had WOL capability, but this is near perfect. :(

system components, all bought from NewEgg (watch for specials & free shipping) for a total of around $620 :

=====

PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower W0128RU 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Case: Thermaltake WingRS 201 VJ60001N2Z Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400

Heatsink: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler

RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK

Video: MSI N8400GS-TD256H GeForce 8400 GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

HDD1: HITACHI 0A38016 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

HDD2: SEAGATE 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

DVD/CD: SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F

Hi everyone, I am new and have read as much as I can in this forum and have decided to get my hands dirty with Hackintosh. Here's my spec:

CPU Q9550

Board: GA EP45T-UD3R

RAM: 4 x 2G Kingston DDR3 1333

VGA: Asus GeForce 9800GT 512Mb Dual DVI

HDD: 2 x Seagate 500G, 1 x Seagate 1T

HP1260 DVD Drive

Cooler Master Sileo Case

Maxtron 500W 80Plus

So far I have followed the guide on page 1 and have successfully installed OSX 10.5 with retail DVD. Still updating, and fingers crossed for the hard part.

I just like to thank everyone for all your tips and advice. Will keep you posted on my development.

Puteradq

I managed to update from my 10.5.5 to 10.5.7, no problem. Then I used UInstaller to add the kexts and even my 9800GT video works! Then I tried to change the orange icon using a downloaded orangeiconHDfix.pkg and I can't boot into the machine. It asks me to restart everytime. So I am reinstalling from the beginning, since it doesn't take me long anyway.

I wonder if there is a safer way to change the orange icons back to normal without using the pkg file.

Is there anyway of getting the system profiler to recognize my CPU and RAM correctly? If not, does it matter?

Once again, thanks to everyone for the tips.

ok... You may need a few of these

LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext (you said you were using 3 sata drives right)

LegacyJMicronATA.kext for anything IDE, I need it, you may not.

The second kext will fix orange icons. system profiler can be modified in OSX86 Tools in the About this mac section. You have to specify the text though, eg

Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.2Ghz

4GB DDR2 800Mhz

There is a small prog which can do it better, and i am adding it and updating my pack soon, if you can wait a day or two, then it will be up.

Guide UPDATE 6th July 09

I have updated my guide to include BootThink installation. There is now a guide on installing. My guide for it is at

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=173746

The pack available contains the installer and all the kexts required for it to run. See guide or Bootloader section of this guide for more details.

I have also added a poll, which I am intrigued to find out about...

To Do:

Update ep45 pack (done to a point)

contains more kexts, more programs and a variety of new (legacy) kexts that some boards may need, (KP's on addressing, and greater stability for general and performance use.

I have also added UInstaller plugins, so individual kext installing is not necessary, but optional. Instead, a variety of boards will have a plugin simmilar to the OSX essentials plugin. Selecting the correct board plugin will install all the kexts required to run mac.

Still to do:

Create and update guides and documentation on additions before upload.

Upload Ep45 pack rev2

Submit those Uinstaller plugins to PCWiz for download from UInstaller, allowing easier and faster install processes.

Im having problems with the boot disc. First, There isnt supposed to be a flash screen or anything right?

I think my error is this System config file '/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found

Ive tried searching for this error with no luck, ive tried another boot132, and grub-dfe.iso.

Could this be a problem with my bios setup? Ive switched to an ide dvdrom and tried both with and without sata ahci mode.

Also i burned the boot132.dmg in disk utlities on my laptop mac, i saw it had the required texts already added, could the problem be i need additional ones? Thanks for any and all help!

Great work!

but now i have a BIG problem T_T

my stuff

Intel core2duo e7400@2.8GHz

EP45 -ud3lr

4 GB of 800MHz Kingston

320GB Western Digital SATA II HD

Liteon internal DVD (SATA)

I follow the instructions found in this topic then

i have done finish once (perfectly work) but after i went out for dinner and come back it can't boot to OSX through Charmeleon 2rc1 so, I tried to install a new and fresh on again (on the same hardware and same procedures) it never boot up anymore, even from Retail DVD 10.5.0

let see what i did...

(Bios : AHCI enable)

1.boot up from Boot132 (Now still can boot)

2.insert the Retail Leopard install DVD 10.5.0 instead of boot 132 disk

3.choose (fe) to boot from DVD

4.then boot into Leopard Installation screen (Now this screen NEVER appear anymore !!!)

so what should i do???

thanks for every suggestion

and sorry for my bad english (i'm Thai)

I just like to offer a huge THANK YOU to everyone, especially Scottapotamas for your kexts. Now my icons look normal. My system boots everytime (fingers crossed). Although I still cannot get the system sound, I managed to install Maestro and get sound out of my Apogee Ensemble, the trick is to turn the Ensemble on first, then turn the computer on.

iLife 09 works, I still haven't updated them yet. Will install Logic Studio next and if this works, then I will be the happiest man.

One last question: the CPU and RAM info are still wrong, does it matter? Or do I have to install any kext to correct this?

Once again, thank you everyone!

Puteradq :)

I just like to offer a huge THANK YOU to everyone, especially Scottapotamas for your kexts. Now my icons look normal. My system boots everytime (fingers crossed). Although I still cannot get the system sound, I managed to install Maestro and get sound out of my Apogee Ensemble, the trick is to turn the Ensemble on first, then turn the computer on.

iLife 09 works, I still haven't updated them yet. Will install Logic Studio next and if this works, then I will be the happiest man.

One last question: the CPU and RAM info are still wrong, does it matter? Or do I have to install any kext to correct this?

Once again, thank you everyone!

Puteradq :)

There are several methods that you can use for system profiler or about this mac to show correctly.for me i used the smbios resolver kext to fix certain issues and the system profiler fix or tool to get information to show correctly :D

chrisgnv I'm running software raid -- did you follow the chameleon 2 raid guide? you have to install chameleon files to the raid helper partition

Yeah, but it would kernel panic with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, and if I deleted that, it would just not load the loginwindow.app and just hang. However.... I figured it out! I needed to put my Extra folder in my Boot OS X volume (for me, disk0s3). I used the pause button on my keyboard during the initial boot to see if it was loading my Extensions, and it was not. This is why I had the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kernel panic, and if I deleted that, it would just not load the login window. Additionally, I had to use DSDT Patcher GUI to place a dsdt.aml file in my Boot OS X volume. For anyone having trouble like mine, at least for me, the /Extra/Extensions/ folder would not be loaded when placed in the main RAID volume, only in the Boot OS X volume.

kmare, did you have to put your Extra folder in the helper partition (s3) or is my case unique?

chrisgnv re-read my post; chameleon files are on the raid helper partition (Boot OSX Volume) just as you have discovered. Software raid worked wonders for me in terms of performance.

What did you patch in DSDT?

chrisgnv re-read my post; chameleon files are on the raid helper partition (Boot OSX Volume) just as you have discovered. Software raid worked wonders for me in terms of performance.

What did you patch in DSDT?

Ahhh ok gotcha.. I followed aquamac's guide and it just said to install the boot file there. It made no mention of putting the extensions on the helper drive so I had to figure that out on my own. My friend followed the RAID guide and just installed chameleon 1.0 and booted right up (guess his board boots without custom kexts), so I was lost for a little. What drives are you running and what is your Xbench score for your drives (if you've run it)?

As for DSDT, I just ran the DSDT Patcher GUI and checked the "New HPET Option" and applied it to my Boot OSX Volume. I'm not sure if it is needed now in hindsight as I have Disabler.kext loading up at start.

@ puteraq i have finished my updated pack, and will put it up sometime today, it contains a easy util to change that info...

@chrisgnv i have a different, more compatitble AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement and you could try the legacy kexts in my new pack (not up yet) also, I found during a short experiment that Char 2 is less compatible with raid than other bootloaders. Would work with a certain vid card, wouldn't with another. Probs a bug.. Try PCEFI 9 or 10 if you still cannot get it to work

The second pack is up... Featured plugins in UInstaller for easy board based kext installs, a new prog to change about this mac info, a large amount of optional kexts, the legacy... kexts which my boards need for stability and other small changes.

I have also got a new iso on the computer which i am testing, features some more kexts for compatibility and sound for the intro. Also includes some other kexts.

ok so i started the install and it will start to do it then it tells me to restart. and when i restart i boot off the HDD instead of DVD, ill get apple logo that loads, then it goes to a gray screen that does nothing except the mouse cursor is on the screen and it moves...but thats about it

Someone please help me because I'm going nuts. I'm trying to extract the OSX retail disk to a FAT 32 partition. I've converted the dmg to iso but when I extract the files using Magiciso, ultraiso, winrar etc, only 500mb of files are extracted. I know it's possible because I've done it before, but I can't remember how.

@ tessa17 great... I have a v3.0 in mind for some other stuff... Any suggestions or improvements???

@Chris1976 Sorry, I cannot help you with a FAt32 Partition... Maybe because Fat32 usually only supports smaller file sizes and anything over a few gig wont work. To my understanding the Retail disk is close to 8, and therfore would need NTFS to function properly.

@ JoeSpit

"and when i restart i boot off the HDD instead of DVD," It is meant to tell you to restart close to the end of the install. After that you need to boot using the Boot132 disk, selecting your drive and choosing the startup disk. Otherwise, the install is unpatched at this stage, and therefore will not function properly...

Could you please also give hardware details, it could be a video card issue for example... Without more detail, there cannot be a solution. A minute or so of your time to post it or put it in your signature can take many more minutes out of the problem solving stages. Thanks.

@ tessa17 great... I have a v3.0 in mind for some other stuff... Any suggestions or improvements???

@Chris1976 Sorry, I cannot help you with a FAt32 Partition... Maybe because Fat32 usually only supports smaller file sizes and anything over a few gig wont work. To my understanding the Retail disk is close to 8, and therfore would need NTFS to function properly.

@ JoeSpit

"and when i restart i boot off the HDD instead of DVD," It is meant to tell you to restart close to the end of the install. After that you need to boot using the Boot132 disk, selecting your drive and choosing the startup disk. Otherwise, the install is unpatched at this stage, and therefore will not function properly...

Could you please also give hardware details, it could be a video card issue for example... Without more detail, there cannot be a solution. A minute or so of your time to post it or put it in your signature can take many more minutes out of the problem solving stages. Thanks.

MoBo:GA-ep45-ud3l

GPU: geforces 8800 gts

@Scottapotamas, a big thank you. I will download the kexts and try to fix the about mac. Just like to clarify, does it matter if the info of about mac is wrong?

Here's my progress:

1. Install with retail Leopard 10.5.5 using grub CD.

2. Update to 10.5.7 online.

3. Install all needed kexts from folder, plus some others like fixing the orange icons, 9800GT etc.

4. Everything works, NO SOUND.

5. Install "Maestro" for Apogee Ensemble, initially Ensemble had a kernel panic, but after restart everything was fine. Since I have sound from Ensemble, I didn't bother with getting sound from the motherboard.

6. Install iLife 09, Logic 8, updated both to latest.

7. Inserted an old Tekram Via Chip 1394 400 card. Worked. Tested using WD Studio External HDD.

8. Install M-Audio Project Mix and hooked it using the Tekram Card, worked. So now I have Ensemble as the audio interface and ProjectMix as the control panel.

That's as far as I go, will fiddle some more and keep you all posted.

Thank you all for your help.

Puteradq