758 replies to this topic

netcastle

netcastle

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
dlach,

Just got your reply in the other thread. Thanks. This clearly is the new thread for this board. BTW, excellent install guide. I will try it.

I am surprised, and excited, by the lack of nvkush. I had felt that this was the problem with my video playback and I really want to use this board for my HTPC (especially if it supports SL). Problem is, the damn thing won't even boot anymore. Did a cmos reset a couple of times, but nothing. I wonder if I killed the battery. Anyway. Nice work so far.

-Net

yellowsv

yellowsv

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I thought the SATA setup up was finicky, I did get it working and so did at least one other person I know of back on the big thread, but I wound up going to a set up with IDE disk and SATA CDROM. Stay away from AHCI at least until you get things stabilized. If you have other DVD drives try them because someone on the big thread had trouble until he got the right one. I have the following set:

on board Ide controller = enabled
NV sata controller = enabled
on-ship SATA mode = IDE.

I had my IDE disk jumpered to master. That is about all I can suggest since I didn't work hard on the SATA install.

I have been really busy and just had time to play around with this. Its still not working :angel: . I tried with the IDE drive and still have the same problem. Just to be clear, the error occurs when the system is loading the newiso cd. (i have tired the origanal cd that worked previously and the new cd that i made with a fresh download. And this problem started the first time i hooked up the ide drive. Is there any way that some how when i hooked up the IDE drive something got stored in the BIOS that can be cleared out? (I know that is probably a really long shot seeing as i have re-flashed the bios a couple of times. I am really lost for ideas at this point. So any ideas anyone has are worth a try at this point.

Right now I am running windows 7 rc on the computer and everything is working well. I am going to be playing around with installing osx again this weekend.

This is a long shot but, about the 4gig problem, when running windows 7 with 4 gigs of ram in dual channel setup, the video card seem to use twice the ram allocated to it. In windows when i have the video card set to use 512 of ram it uses 1 gig, and when it is set to use 256 it uses 512. So what I am thinking is that the video card uses 512 out of each channel. When I had osx running, even when 512 was set in the bios, it only was using 256. So my idea is if someone had figured out how to allocate more ram to the video card, maybe we could get the recognized ram down to 3 gigs and have things work? I really doubt this will help, just a crazy idea i had when i couldnt fall asleep.

dlach

dlach

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

I have been really busy and just had time to play around with this. Its still not working ;) . I tried with the IDE drive and still have the same problem. Just to be clear, the error occurs when the system is loading the newiso cd. (i have tired the origanal cd that worked previously and the new cd that i made with a fresh download. And this problem started the first time i hooked up the ide drive. Is there any way that some how when i hooked up the IDE drive something got stored in the BIOS that can be cleared out? (I know that is probably a really long shot seeing as i have re-flashed the bios a couple of times. I am really lost for ideas at this point. So any ideas anyone has are worth a try at this point.

Right now I am running windows 7 rc on the computer and everything is working well. I am going to be playing around with installing osx again this weekend.

If you have an IDE DVD, use that too and make sure you have one set for master and one for slave. If it doesn't boot switch it. Make sure you unplug the power cable in between booting. If you don't have an IDE DVD try switching the jumper on the IDE hard drive to slave. I know this frustrated me some too especially since it should work according to specs, but I recall trying plugging it into different spots on the cable seemed to make a difference even though it is not supposed to as long as neither drive is set for CS (cable select).

This is a long shot but, about the 4gig problem, when running windows 7 with 4 gigs of ram in dual channel setup, the video card seem to use twice the ram allocated to it. In windows when i have the video card set to use 512 of ram it uses 1 gig, and when it is set to use 256 it uses 512. So what I am thinking is that the video card uses 512 out of each channel. When I had osx running, even when 512 was set in the bios, it only was using 256. So my idea is if someone had figured out how to allocate more ram to the video card, maybe we could get the recognized ram down to 3 gigs and have things work? I really doubt this will help, just a crazy idea i had when i couldnt fall asleep.

My understanding is that the problem is not the amount of ram we have in the system but rather the way the video ram is memory mapped by the BIOS. I think the key to the memory problem is a patched SSDT to fix the incorrect memory mapping. Since Gigabyte doesn't have any motivation to fix the BIOS.

dlach,

Just got your reply in the other thread. Thanks. This clearly is the new thread for this board. BTW, excellent install guide. I will try it.

I am surprised, and excited, by the lack of nvkush. I had felt that this was the problem with my video playback and I really want to use this board for my HTPC (especially if it supports SL). Problem is, the damn thing won't even boot anymore. Did a cmos reset a couple of times, but nothing. I wonder if I killed the battery. Anyway. Nice work so far.

-Net

How far into boot does it get? Do you see the BIOS splash screen? If not it could be the power supply, one died on me with this board and the symptoms were the fan came on and it seemed to try to boot and then stopped. Other things to try:

- re-seat the RAM.
- make sure the power and reset switch cables are in the proper positions/polarity

scoobydu

scoobydu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Appreciate the bios way is the way in the guide, but I wondered if any further progress had been made with a ssdt and dsdt to get things working as they should, without the bios upgrade?

I've looked at other threads, but frankly my head is spinning with the number of potential alternatives to get this board working! :angel:

Reason I ask is I'm not sure what bios version was patched and there seems to be a fairly recent bios update available ...

Thanks in advance ;)

dlach

dlach

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Appreciate the bios way is the way in the guide, but I wondered if any further progress had been made with a ssdt and dsdt to get things working as they should, without the bios upgrade?

I've looked at other threads, but frankly my head is spinning with the number of potential alternatives to get this board working! :P

Reason I ask is I'm not sure what bios version was patched and there seems to be a fairly recent bios update available ...

Thanks in advance :)

Scoobydu,

I've not had any time to make progress on ssdt/dsdt and don't know that anyone else has.
The patched BIOS version is F3A which as of a check just minute ago is the most recent.

scoobydu

scoobydu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
dlach

Yes, thanks for that, I'd loaded it a couple of hours ago and noticed it was 3a or something, which you are right, is indeed the latest.

The weird thing is, profiler shows the graphics chip as a 9400 not an 8400!? edit OK this might be as I haven't installed SMBIOSenabler yet.....

I've not had chance to check the thread to see if that is expected or not.

Also, when I connect hdmi with VGA, both screens get their signals dropped!

So I don't get a chance to setup the displays. Maybe my NV string is incorrect for the format of display outputs (not sure yet)

At least I now have QE enabled, but the other things are weird.

Wheeelman

Wheeelman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have done all the steps up to installing the OS from my retail 10.5.6 and I checked my DVD and it passed and starts the install then at about 10% the screen piexelates in rainbow and then goes purple and does nothing.

Any ideas????? I did use disk utility to make 2 partitions before hand but I don't know why that would hurt anything. Also I'm using an IDE Optical DVD and a SATA HDD.

Wheeelman

Wheeelman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I have done all the steps up to installing the OS from my retail 10.5.6 and I checked my DVD and it passed and starts the install then at about 10% the screen piexelates in rainbow and then goes purple and does nothing.

Any ideas????? I did use disk utility to make 2 partitions before hand but I don't know why that would hurt anything. Also I'm using an IDE Optical DVD and a SATA HDD.

dlach

dlach

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

dlach

Yes, thanks for that, I'd loaded it a couple of hours ago and noticed it was 3a or something, which you are right, is indeed the latest.

The weird thing is, profiler shows the graphics chip as a 9400 not an 8400!? edit OK this might be as I haven't installed SMBIOSenabler yet.....

I've not had chance to check the thread to see if that is expected or not.

Also, when I connect hdmi with VGA, both screens get their signals dropped!

So I don't get a chance to setup the displays. Maybe my NV string is incorrect for the format of display outputs (not sure yet)

At least I now have QE enabled, but the other things are weird.

Do you have a graphics card plugged in? Otherwise the board should report a 9400 as that is what the board has.

As for hdmi and VGA simultaneously, I think there were other notes in this thread about that. If it is even supported by the board I'm pretty sure you need special NVcap settings for it. Check the old thread listed in the first post.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Those sure sound like the symptoms of trying to install with greater than 2GB of ram. Current situation with this board is 2GB of ram is the limit.

Wheeelman

Wheeelman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Those sure sound like the symptoms of trying to install with greater than 2GB of ram. Current situation with this board is 2GB of ram is the limit.

Is this a limitation of OS X or the motherboard. So does that mean once I start dual booting Win 7 I will have to add/remove everytime I want to run 4gb in WIN 7? Sure wish we can get 4gb working on this!!!

Also, I notice everytime I power on, it seems my OS makes a brand new connection profile each time, i.e. Ethernet then next Ethernet 2, etc Anyone else having that quirk happen.

dlach

dlach

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Is this a limitation of OS X or the motherboard. So does that mean once I start dual booting Win 7 I will have to add/remove everytime I want to run 4gb in WIN 7? Sure wish we can get 4gb working on this!!!

Also, I notice everytime I power on, it seems my OS makes a brand new connection profile each time, i.e. Ethernet then next Ethernet 2, etc Anyone else having that quirk happen.

Windows should see >2GB of ram. I don't know about linux. The problem as I understnad it is that OSX uses the DSDT standard and the motherboard manufacturers(except Apple) don't implement it properly.

I haven't seen the ethernet profile problem.

wintelmac

wintelmac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Just for others who have interested in this mainboard, I have this mainboard and flash the BIOS to stock F3A and hack F3X firmware (with EFI string).

Installed 8GB (4 x 2GB module) with iPC OSx86 10.5.6 and update 10.5.8. I have also have Palit 9500GT 1GB PCIe installed and still get into problem of the leopard hanging when running memory test.

Windows 7 runs fine with 8GB RAM, sleep (S3) works - ethernet + sound all woke up without issue.
For me, it's more or less conclude that this board is not good >2GB for Leopard.

Anyone else have similar experience, i.e using >2GB RAM with external PCIe Video?

Wheeelman

Wheeelman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Windows should see >2GB of ram. I don't know about linux. The problem as I understnad it is that OSX uses the DSDT standard and the motherboard manufacturers(except Apple) don't implement it properly.

I haven't seen the ethernet profile problem.

INsERT

INsERT

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Can I use your method on my ASUS P5N32-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX

http://usa.asus.com/...n...l3=397&l4=0

Thanks in advance.

dlach

dlach

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

For me, it's more or less conclude that this board is not good >2GB for Leopard.

Wintelmac,
I state the >2GB ram issue up front in the first post and in more than one reply so I kind of have to say "Duh!". It is the one real limitation and basically I don't find it a problem. If you are running memory intensive stuff maybe the system would thrash. I am holding out some hope that SSDT override using Chameleon could solve the memory issue and plan on looking into it when I get a chance. UPDATE: I just went over to the old thread and found you cross posted there. Really bad etiquette. Please don't waste our time.

INsERT,
Sorry but please keep this thread about the Gigabyte board. If you use google and search with site:forum.insanelymac.com you may find a more helpful thread. Good luck.

paiik

paiik

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
hi,

i have just one question, do you need to modify any settings in bios after F3fix or is this just fix and you can change whatever as normal.

thanks

dlach

dlach

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

hi,

i have just one question, do you need to modify any settings in bios after F3fix or is this just fix and you can change whatever as normal.

thanks

The modified F3a BIOS just adds/updates some of the DSDT info in the BIOS. The bios still functions normally and you can make whatever changes work for you.

chris_rock

chris_rock

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Hey,
any luck on updating to 10.5.8?

dlach

dlach

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Hey,
any luck on updating to 10.5.8?

The update worked see the edit on the first post. I have not tried adding more than 2GB but am not expecting it to be fixed.

driveparty

driveparty

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Installing a retail 10.5.6 DVD on the GA-E7AUM-DS2H

2) Flash your BIOS with Koalala's updated bios. You must do this. Flashing the bios on this mobo is low risk due to its dual bios feature. Just unzip e7aumd2hf3x.zip and copy to a FAT formatted USB stick. Reboot and go into Qflash at the first screen.

Hi!

I've got Koalala's bios file, but i can't load it with the Qflash: it doesn't show this file on the flash card (other bios files like original f3a or saved from Qflash to the same disk are there and can be choosed).
I've noticed the size difference between original f3a and Koalala's. The orihinal is a 1 megabyte and Koalala's is 503 Kb.
Is there any trick to update?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy