[UPDATED] Chameleon 2.0RC2 is out! With Official Installer

Onixs

447 posts in this topic

I have tried to copy an old file of boot but it doesn't work.

it's possible to directly install from windows chameleon on the disk of osx?

Without Macdrive and windows DD?

Euhm... no...

with macdrive ;)

Sure, just install boot into root (/)

And use DD with the usual windows style \\... commands for boot0 and boot1h...

It should work...

Well yeah, very nice but since it doesn't have SSDT override I'm not yet switching...

I'm waiting for the eventual release...

Very cool though...

It was a long time ago that I explained why SSDT override is unnecessary. I repeat in 2 words: put contents of your SSDT to DSDT and add option DropSSDT=y

it doesn't work on my system. To the reboot, after the boot it is restarted.

How do I do to restore the old boot? thx advance

First try to boot again , sometimes it needs 2 boots once.

If not working boot from other system (DVD / other HD) and reinstall your PCEFI V9 / Chameleon V11 bootloader from there again on that target HD.

Never try any such new bootloaders without an working(test it before) other OS X Boot HD.

Worked for me on the first machine listed in the signature, later I will test on others, all with Retail Leo.

One question, I understood that some extra kexts now can be removed?

smbios injector? (smbiosenabler or applesmbiosefi..etc)

decripter? (AppleDecrypt...etc)

PowerManagement disabler?

Congratulations to the whole team for the great work!

I took out AppleDecrypt and can't see the the kext loaded with kextstat so I would think it is safe to remove that or dsmos. I just have to say I didn't know this was a feature I would like to see what else is hiding in the code.

Without Macdrive and windows DD?

Euhm... no...

Can you elaborate on how to use DD.exe for this? I spent days trying to install bootloaders with it & came to the conclusion that it simply cant access the right blocks. Which devices and which notation do you use?

Can you elaborate on how to use DD.exe for this? I spent days trying to install bootloaders with it & came to the conclusion that it simply cant access the right blocks. Which devices and which notation do you use?

Make sure you use \ instead of /.

Also, I will test removing AppleDecrypt.kext and seeing if it still boots.

Make sure you use \ instead of /.

Also, I will test removing AppleDecrypt.kext and seeing if it still boots.

Well I'm no more off-topic than you are, so I'll just point out that dd.exe is a very differnt beast from the dd you're used to.

http://www.chrysocome.net/dd

If you can read through that & tell me which notation corresponds to the mbr and the bootsector, (near the middle of the page) I'll be grateful. in the meantime if you don't know how something works, why answer at all?

I took out AppleDecrypt and can't see the the kext loaded with kextstat so I would think it is safe to remove that or dsmos. I just have to say I didn't know this was a feature I would like to see what else is hiding in the code.

There's no such feature on Chameleon! And can't see were you got that idea?? Are you using AnV kernel? it has decrypter built in.. or you have dsmos.kext lost in your system :(

What you can stop using if you have is a smbios patch like AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext, AnV AppleSMBIOS.kext, etc... maybe that's were your confusion comes from...

So I've updated my boot drive with Chameleon 2.0RC1, OS X boots flawlessly however Windows XP (separate hard drive) refuses to boot. I get a blinking cursor at the top left of my screen and thats it. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Wonderful. I'm able to boot OSX and WIN 7 on separate HD's from the single boot menu. WIN XP won't boot - just a single _ cursor flashing. I'm not using the EFI partition/Extra aproach but have a custom install using slipstream. My OSX drive is GPT and my Win drives are MBR.

I don't know if it's possible but it would be icing on the cake if it only showed bootable partitions. Right now I see all partitions on all hard drives. For the NTFS partitions it shows the proper name on the bootable ones (WIN 7 and WIN XP) and NTFS on the others.

Thanks for the great effort.

SMF

So I've updated my boot drive with Chameleon 2.0RC1, OS X boots flawlessly however Windows XP (separate hard drive) refuses to boot. I get a blinking cursor at the top left of my screen and thats it. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Same problem here

As well as some glitches on font and menu and thus as soon as I activate option...

don't know what is happening a help could be nice :mellow:

I made an 2.0RC1 installer app out of an older chameleon installer.

So you must not do terminal commands or knowing your disk/part numbers.

Select your HD/partition by the installer.

For me it worked on MBR HD.

Also worked to boot XP from an different (other) HD.

For EFI EXTRA (boot132) install you must do some more (terminal) work.

Read the readme of orig. chameleon installer or hints below here.

Thank you for the installer, for a noob like me :mellow: it was really needed ...

There's no such feature on Chameleon! And can't see were you got that idea?? Are you using AnV kernel? it has decrypter built in.. or you have dsmos.kext lost in your system :)

What you can stop using if you have is a smbios patch like AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext, AnV AppleSMBIOS.kext, etc... maybe that's were your confusion comes from...

Nope no dsmos or Appledecrypt on my system I did a fresh install a week ago and all the kexts are on my EFI partion. I have also done a kextstat and looked through t all the loaded kexts and there is no dsmos or Appledecrypt loaded. Not sure what is happened if the boat loader doesn't support it, I guess I'll look into it some more.

Ah I found it somehow apple decrypt is being loaded when it usually was Decrypt in the kextstat I'll have to find where it is loading from though.

I currently use Munky's loader.

But I have a concern before switching:

How will this loader use thirdparty kernels like the voodoo on the efi partition?

should it be in the root of extra folder?

if so, my info.plist on my munky efi loader have to be like this so i can boot :

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>bt(0,0)/mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>boot-uuid=C471ABD8-149A-370D-A65B-A09B6ED28802</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>2</string>

<key>device-properties</key>

What should be edited in it so i could work with chameleon on efi ?

Okay I’ve come up with a little guide on how to get this entire thing on a USB stick for portable booting (if that’s your type of thing):

I’ve borrowed heavily from Munky’s guide to come up with this so most of the credit goes out to him!

————————————————————————————————-

Install Chameleon 2.0 RC1 on a USB stick

————————————————————————————————-

Open Terminal

Type

sudo -s

Enter your password

Type

diskutil list

make note of the /dev/diskX where your USB stick is located (ex. mine is /dev/disk7)

Keep terminal open and open Disk Utility (fyi, you can most likely create an MBR partioning scheme with diskutil, I just don’t know how)

click on your USB stick and click the “Partition” tab

click the ‘+’

click Options and choose MBR *not* GUID

Name it whatever you want (I named mine EFIUSB)

Click Apply

Go back to terminal

Type

diskutil list

and make sure your USB device is still listed the same as it was before (“disk 7” in my example)

Type the following:

diskutil eraseVolume “HFS+” “EFIUSB” /dev/diskXs1

where ‘X’ is the number of your USB drive you got before (disk7 in my example above, so my command would be “diskutil eraseVolume “HFS+” “EFIUSB” /dev/disk7s1”)

cd to your Chameleon/i386 directory

run the following commands:

./fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdiskX

(where X is your disk – loads the stage 0 bootloader)

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXs1

(where X is your disk – loads the stage 1 bootloader)

cp boot /Volumes/EFIUSB

(copies the Chameleon ‘boot’ file over to your usb)

mkdir /Volumes/EFIUSB/Extra

(makes the Extra directory on the USB stick)

Now from here, you can copy your Extensions.mkext, com.apple.Boot.plist, smbios.plist, & Themes directory using Finder over to your /Volumes/EFIUSB/Extra directory

Hope this helps you guys!

All I can say is WOW!!

I now have a USB drive that I can boot on my Intel_D945GCLF2 and then when done boot on my Unibody MacBook!! As the MacBook ignores all the additions!

I installed Retail on the USB while it was connected on my MacBook, updated it, then loaded the new Chameleon with only AppleDecrypt extra and shoved it into my Intel_D945GCLF2, it booted! I then run DSDT to get my PCI wireless to work on the Intel(once again the Macbook ignores this) and VIOLA, everything works!!

Now I have a truly portable USB HDD to work on!!

SticMAC