KextSpy

92 posts in this topic

I agreed with the fact that you feel the app is not of use and said that I would not post similar items in the future, what exactly are you looking for here?

You (and everyone with pcwiz computer for that matter) to learn terminal, gb2 windows or buy real macs.

learn terminal, gb2 windows or buy real macs.

So, I know how to package up a little Terminal command in an app wrapper, which implies that I don't know how to use Terminal? Wouldn't you saying that creating an app that uses a Terminal command implies a some kind of rudimentary knowledge of Terminal? :blink:

where is the source??

+ 10 points :D

The expansive source file is as follows (you may want to put on your glasses as this is a doozy):

kextstat > ~/Desktop/kextstat.txt

There's a reason I didn't post that on the thread, and instead linked it to the app page - we're trying to protect the newbs here, remember? :blink:

I'm throughly surprised that you haven't called each other names and started the biggest flame I've seen.

EDIT: Posts 87 and 88 made it an official flame war XD

From this 4 pages of bickering here's what I've deducted...

1) Weaksause makes a script for loaded kexts (why? who knows)

2) Weaksauce decides to share this with the osx86 community to see if anyone else would want it.

3) Weaksauce is bashed and scorned for the encouragement of noobs not knowing terminal with these gui apps.

All I can say guys is really?

I seriously doubt that you can blame simple scripts like this as the main attribute to this dilemma.

If you want to point a finger at whose responsible, point to the people who WON'T LEARN TERMINAL (and these convenient scripts can't do everything).

My 2 cents...but is there really reason to argue for a one-line command?

This thread went way off, but the discussion at what standard we should have this board on. For every day that goes by the noise level goes up on this board, and my interest to contribute is very low for the moment. I could of course post some "Hello World" apps, that are more advanced than this, just to put everything in context. I have nothing against weaksauce and his aspirations and hope he continues on his path if that is what he wants for his future. But I think there is a need to set what standards there should be on "New Releases and Updates" and also at the board overall. And I think he could post his app on some programming beginners forum to show what he can do...

• 3 weeks later...
7. Xcode's property list editor, EFI studio, and ACPIPatcher are in a totally different class — they don't just wrap existing tools (UNIX tools, no less) into a fancy GUI.

Isn't that exactly what EFI studio does? check in the resources folder, you'll find gfxutil in there. EFIStudio is a "fancy GUI" for gfxutil and fdisk for installing the bootloader. All that shows me is that the reason you don't like this stuff is not because its "fancy GUI" or because it makes noobs stupid, its because its made by me.

In any case, I am no longer an active part of the OSx86 community, I'm buying a real mac soon, and I'm going to continue mainstream Mac software development in Objective C/Cocoa. Its thanks to people with attitudes like yours that make this place a mess. Maybe if you HELPED and INSULTED at the same time, it might be nice, but I don't see you HELPING just INSULTING. If you want something fixed, do it yourself.

oh and awesome photoshop skills, I envy your brains.

BTW ipoco, you from Quebec? French Canadians rule :)

Isn't that exactly what EFI studio does? check in the resources folder, you'll find gfxutil in there. EFIStudio is a "fancy GUI" for gfxutil and fdisk for installing the bootloader. All that shows me is that the reason you don't like this stuff is not because its "fancy GUI" or because it makes noobs stupid, its because its made by me.

In any case, I am no longer an active part of the OSx86 community, I'm buying a real mac soon, and I'm going to continue mainstream Mac software development in Objective C/Cocoa. Its thanks to people with attitudes like yours that make this place a mess. Maybe if you HELPED and INSULTED at the same time, it might be nice, but I don't see you HELPING just INSULTING. If you want something fixed, do it yourself.

oh and awesome photoshop skills, I envy your brains.

BTW ipoco, you from Quebec? French Canadians rule :angel:

Congrats on buying a real Mac... it's much better ofcourse...

Glad to hear you'll still code utilities for OS X though...

I couldn't agree with you more... many people over here (and some other forums which I'm not going to go into right now) have their favorite hobby place criticisism on anybody while they don't even program/make a thing...

Isn't it more constructive to help people rather than criticisize them?

AFAIK arrogance has never helped anybody...

Glad you agree Andy :( I don't get why people complain about things, and they are not willing to fix it themselves. At least let people try, and don't even think about criticizing someone unless you can do any better. And if you are criticizing, make it constructive not just "you fail", "it sucks" or posting a crappy photoshop'd picture.

I haven't seen stroke do anything on this forum other than flame people and complain how much this forum sucks (except for that IB tutorial which was good and a few tips in the programming section) ). Sure, this place obviously has a ton of issues, but there's really no point complaining about it. If you want to keep with it, then stay, otherwise just leave like many others have done

Well, I have more to my name than you do. You're just too much of a noob in the scene to know it. :(

Edit: also, what's this? the SECOND time you've promised to leave the scene? It looks like we have a little Colonel reincarnate with us.

stroke, maybe then you should tell everyone what you have to your name, that might help a little bit.

And sorry if my eyes fail me, but I don't see where I said I was going to leave the scene. If you read my post carefully, you'll note that all I said was that I was inactive, which has nothing to do with me leaving, the second thing is that I just said I'd buy a real mac and continue mainstream mac development, which also has nothing to do with me leaving. Read more carefully next time so that you don't embarrass yourself.

EDIT: And I'm not sure how a simple release post from weaksauce12 sparked everything that I see here. Realize this, all you are doing is shunning away people that actually want to help, which is rare in this time. Who knows, maybe weaksauce will move on to programming bigger and better things? Didn't we all start out writing little bits of code? stroke, maybe just stop pretending that your 1337 programming skillz poofed into your head from heaven and accept that others are trying to learn too. And regarding your previous comment about me being "obsessed" with myself, maybe I would have started trying to make mega bucks off my stuff if I was that naive and obsessed. I accept that my apps aren't the most brilliant works of genius in the OSx86 world, (and btw 1/4 of the stuff you labelled on the Osx86tools pic is wrong, showing that you didnt really take much time trying it, and maybe if you read the help, you'd see that I do have explanations on every single function that the app does) but at least I'm trying.

I was halfway through making a long, contrived, drawn out post with lots of detail about past/current/future drama, but mid-way through I couldn't be bothered to finish it.

The entire point of discussion was

1. weaksauce12 made an application that wraps the command "kextstat". Nothing more.

2. Some people like it.

3. Some people hate it.

4. Everyone needs to get over it.

Thread really closed.